Luck or Mayfield in SF

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.

Luck or Mayfield for win now team in SF

Poll ended at Sat May 04, 2019 5:48 am

Andrew Luck
72%
Baker Mayfield
28%

Total votes: 53

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Re: Luck or Mayfield in SF

Postby Jfever » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:56 pm

murphysxm wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:43 am I can't believe how much love Baker is getting. Give me Luck 10 times out of 10.
X2. It’s crazy to me. Our community loves Baker. Give me Luck easy. So many takes lean toward the reactionary and flavor of the week. I’m not knocking Baker but cmon people. Sample size does matter.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:12 pm

JFever wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:56 pm
murphysxm wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:43 am I can't believe how much love Baker is getting. Give me Luck 10 times out of 10.
X2. It’s crazy to me. Our community loves Baker. Give me Luck easy. So many takes lean toward the reactionary and flavor of the week. I’m not knocking Baker but cmon people. Sample size does matter.
This happens every year with the rookie breakout. Winston and Mariota were Kings for a day. Carr was the GOAT once upon a time. Deshaun Watson. Now it’s Baker’s turn.

Amoo
Captain
Captain

Postby Amoo » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:09 pm

So when a rookie breaks the rookie passing TD record (by 3) while not playing the FIRST FOUR GAMES of the season and a top 3 WR moves to that team in the offseason,he becomes overhyped. Sounds reasonable

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:20 am

Amoo wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:09 pm So when a rookie breaks the rookie passing TD record (by 3) while not playing the FIRST FOUR GAMES of the season and a top 3 WR moves to that team in the offseason,he becomes overhyped. Sounds reasonable
Rookie passing record means nothing. The game has been transformed, and rules put in place so that my grandmother could throw for 20 TD's a season, now.

Baker is good, but don't talk about record like they are a reasonable way to look at thing beyond 5 years back, because it's just not sound logic.

Luck came back after not playing for almost 2 years and having major shoulder surgery, and threw 39 TD's. That's the other side to it. It's just easier to pass in the NFL than it ever has been. It sells, they've adjusted the league to that. Baker is a fantastic prospect, but don't compare guys who were great in the 80's, 90's 2000's etc. to him statistically, it's irrelevant.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Amoo
Captain
Captain

Postby Amoo » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:34 am

The ability to prove that you can throw 30 TDs in your rookie year does mean something. Ok. Fine. 29. But it’s never been done before. The previous best was held at 26 by P. Manning and R. Wilson. I know.... not very highly regarded QBs. So you go right ahead and doubt, because the numbers do lie

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:50 am

Amoo wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:34 am The ability to prove that you can throw 30 TDs in your rookie year does mean something. Ok. Fine. 29. But it’s never been done before. The previous best was held at 26 by P. Manning and R. Wilson. I know.... not very highly regarded QBs. So you go right ahead and doubt, because the numbers do lie
First off, it was 27, not 29. The numbers don't lie, you do. :lol: Or are misinformed. Secondly, I never said Baker wasn't good. My point was, passing records are bunk these days. The game has been transformed so much over the last decade with rules and game play, it's not really relevant. Luck was considered a genrational talent coming out of college, so there is certainly a debate as to whether Baker should be boosted ahead of Luck in ranking because of a very good rookie year.

Point is, Baker was a great prospect and had a great rookie year in an era that gives QB's more license than ever to show their talent. However, Luck showed, coming back after major surgery on his throwing shoulder, and not playing for almost 2 years, if you are talented, you can walk into the NFL and light it up. I'm not debating Baker's skill set, just the conditions on which his records were set vs all the talented QB's that came before him.

The numbers don't lie, but they don't really tell the whole story.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

sugbear65
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby sugbear65 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:52 am

Luck, so easily this shouldn’t even be a question I think. but it’s just another example of the power of “shiny new toy” syndrome when it relates to player values. If u own Mayfield and haven’t sold him yet, then you are missing out on prime chance to make a profit. I don’t mean that as a slight to Baker, I like him. But he’s being priced as a top 3ish QB right now for some, and that’s insane. He basically has to be a top 3 scoring QB this year just to maintain value, and would need to be like number one to see any kind of value bump. That makes this a terrible time to jump aboard, and a clear sell window.

Zacsby
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Zacsby » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:28 am

LOL @ the Baker/Bradford comp. I like Baker a lot. Thats coming from a Ravens fan. But lets not get ahead of ourselves. Luck has sustained elite production and is still only 29. I would rather have him regardless of whether its a rebuild/win now situation.
12 Team SF IDP
QB - Mahomes, Lawrence, Mac
RB - Etienne, Walker, Rhamondre, Javonte, Akers, CEH
WR - AJB, Waddle, Higgins, Gabe, Toney
TE - Andrews, ISJ
DL - Quinnen, Highsmith, Josh Allen
LB - Lloyd, JOK, Gay, Bush
DB - Winfield, Love, Delpit

14 Team 1QB IDP
QB - Fields, Jimmy G
RB - Henry, Kamara, Swift, Herbert
WR - Adams, Juju, Jakobi, Theilen
TE - Hock, Everett
DL - Garrett, Buckner, Sweat
LB - White, David, Okereke, Jack
DB - Budda, CJGJ, Dugger, Byard

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:19 am

I love Mayfield, but I'd still prefer Luck by a little. If the Mayfield owner has him higher though, there's nothing wrong with that, but there's probably not a trade to be made here.
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:47 am

Other than their age, this shouldn't really be close. Give me Luck pretty easily.

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:35 am

I feel like the Baker hype train is out of control (same with Mahomes) and I love Baker. If Baker throws for 35 TDs, that's a great season. Yet that would be a disappointment when it comes to the types of numbers people are discussing. Since 2013, QBs have thrown for 35 or more TDs 17 times, and only 5 guys have done it twice (Peyton, Rodgers, Luck, Brees, Ryan). Nobody has done it 3 times in that span.

Give me Luck and I'm happy to sell Baker (or Mahomes) high this offseason.