Startup SuperFlex League

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
Pete
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Startup SuperFlex League

Postby Pete » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:19 am

I am joining a 12-man startup SuperFlex dynasty league.

My question concerns the initial draft and what draft strategy I should employ. Because 2 QBs will be in each owners weekly starting lineup during most weeks (the second QB being used at the SuperFlex spot), I suspect QBs will be drafted earlier and often in this startup draft. How early should I draft a QB1 and a QB2? How about a QB3?
Last edited by Pete on Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Startup SuperFlex League

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:35 am

Mahomes would be my 1st pick in a SF startup and I would say there should be AT LEAST 5-8 QB taken in the top 20 picks. Hopefully that gives a little insight on the QB value...

I know there was a startup that just occurred that was posted on this forum, however. Mahomes fell to 8th overall and the same owner grabbed Luck in the 2nd round as the 3rd QB overall. If your draft goes anything like that... You need to do the same thing. QB may be undervalued in the startup if the owners are not aware. Take advantage of that, because they will soon know that QB value is very high in SF

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=176206
Link to the other startup that just occurred. I think the QB run happened considerably late

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:41 am

Some general tips for the format you listed:

- Elite young QBs like Mahomes, Luck, Wilson, etc should be taken in the top 10 picks in my opinion. If they fall, I'd be aggressive about trading up to get them.
- You should finish the draft with at least 3-4 starting QBs because QBs will be cheapest to acquire during the startup. However, don't reach for replaceable commodities like Dalton and Flacco.
- Depending on how heavy IDP scoring is, players like Donald and Mack could be worth early picks. In some leagues with points for tackles, tackles for loss, etc, elite pass rushers and LBs can outscore guys like Gurley and Barkley. Read your IDP scoring closely.
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

Pete
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Pete » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:52 am

Thanks Ditka. The points for IDP players is pretty good, so you are correct that guys like Mack, Donald, or a top 5 LB might go early in the draft. I'm just not sure how early since the first draft will be a 12 rounds snake. The second and third drafts will occur separately, later, but within a few weeks. I'm wondering how many IDPs will fall entirely from this first draft. This being the case, I'm thinking Mack and Donald or a very good LB should probably last until at least round 5. Hard to tell.

Thank for the feedback!

Pete
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Pete » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:56 am

Thanks Jigga...I appreciate the advice!

BigBawseRoss
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BigBawseRoss » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:03 am

i would not prioritize D at all, those are super shallow D requirements and unless the scoring is really balanced with O then you wont want to spend premium picks there. also not having positions makes it very easy to fill your starters and some depth (DL rather than DT and DE, and DB rather than CB and S)

Qb early and often, workhorse rb early and often, get at least 1 stud wr to hold you down there and then take shots on upside guys and guys on the verge of a breakout.

how are rookie picks being handled? i suggest you guys include the rookie draft slots in the start up (for example an owner may select "rookie pick 1.01" in lieu of taking an actual player at any given pick) this is the most fair way i have seen it done. i am not a fan of reverse of startup draft as this randomly awards the 1.01 to a guy who just participated in a snaking draft where it was snaked in an effort to be fair to all teams. just for example this past season this would have added Barkley to whatever team happened to have 12th pick. or its like adding zeke to a team that wasnt any weaker than the rest etc.
team 1
12 team, 1 pt for 4 rec, 0.1 per rush
1qb, 3 rb, 4 wr, te, k, 4 idp
Dak , Herbert
Achane, Breece Hall, KW3Kyren,Ford, Miller, Spiller, z evans, singletary
J Jefferson, Diggs, DK, D Smith Puka, C Watson, E Moore
Njoku , HH, Engram

2024 picks
1,3,4,5,5,6,7 (all late mostly)

team 2
12 team .5ppr
qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, te, flx,flx,
Fields, Dak
Ford,Mixon, Javonte, Mostert, Chubb, Spears
Hopkins, Evans, g Wilson Mingo, shaheed, Jamo
Kelce,McBride, Chig,

team 3
14 team sf, even scoring idp to offense (rb scores highly too)
Josh Allen, A Rich, Foles, Rudolph
Bijan, Charbs, Spears, Ebner
J Williams, G Wilson, C Watson, Flowers, J Addison, Tillman
Kincaid, Kolar, Ruckert, Fergeson

Kenny Clark, josh allen, jaelen phillips, felix a-u and a bunch of fluff and rookie fliers at idp

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:24 am

BigBawseRoss wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:03 ami would not prioritize D at all, those are super shallow D requirements
Damn what kind of crazy deep IDP leagues do you play in? I'd consider that a pretty extensive IDP format. :shock:
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

Pete
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Pete » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:27 pm

Thanks for weighing in BBD! My understanding is that rookies will be included and drafted along with all of the other players.

Pete
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Pete » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:15 pm

The draft order for this new superflex startup league has been determined; I will pick 5th over in a 12-man snake draft. We will have 3 separate 12-round drafts. Presuming that Mahomes, Barkley, Gurley, and Elliott go with the first 4 picks of our first draft, who do you all think I should grab with my 1.05 pick? Do I go with Nuk, Kamara, or McCaffrey, or should I grab a QB? Any suggestions for my next 2 picks at 2.08 and 3.05?

Should I try to trade up to the first overall pick so I can draft Mahomes with the 1st overall pick? If so, what should I offer concerning future draft picks?

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:26 pm

In SF I'd have 5 QB to pick from at the top... Mahomes, Luck, Watson, Wentz, Baker... Then I'd start to look at other positions. You're in a good spot because you'll get at least one of those, if not Mahomes, depending on the league.

2nd round then you will have a lot of flexibility to either go RB/WR. Or maybe even QB again if one of the top guys falls

blacklab1010
Captain
Captain

Postby blacklab1010 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:32 pm

all the posts above have good points in them i would highly recommend trading up for mahomes. if you enjoy stats and have time go look at the adps of players and start plugging in the 0.5ppr pts they earned this year. i am assuming many of your leaguemates will be aware of the adps but you will have the advantage of knowing where there are sneaky extra pts within that adp. when torn between players keep in mind the longevity of the player. qbs and wrs have a longer shelf life than the rbs. i play in 1 ppr so unless i get some really good value i would side with the qbs, wrs and then rbs. the top 4 rbs who have high rec are worth more than wrs to me but then the rest are below wrs for me.
watch for rbs ages some of them are sneaky older than you would think. sony will be 24 in a month already and he is a rookie. dj is 27 already. i would still draft them but not as early knowing that. not a big deal but if you are planning a team those are some things to keep in mind.
#1 get mahomes if at all possible #2 go plug the points into the adp and find the sneaky hidden gems in there.
some of my hidden/injured players to watch for cheaper than should be are enunwa, sanders, fuller, wentz, freeman, ajg, burton, breida, eifert, taylor gabriel.
sorry so long, good luck
Superflex 10 Team PPR 30 man roster-- Must start 14 Players: 1QB+1Superflex/3RBs/4WRs/2TE/Flex/D/K

QBs - Josh Allen, Kirk Cousins, Easton Stick, Tommy Devito, Case Keenum
RBs - Nick Chubb, Derrick Henry/Tayjae Spears, Austin Ekeler/ Isaiah Spiller, Josh Kelly, Alvin Kamara/Kendre Miller, Rico Dowdle, Ty Johnson, Latavius Murray, Zack Moss, Tyler Goodson, Trey Sermon, Dernest Johnson
WRs -Rashee Rice.Gabriel Davis, Keenan Allen, Chris Godwin, Noah Brown, Adam Theilen, Russel Gage, Xavier Gipson,
TEs - Travis Kelce, Darren Waller, Dalton Schultz, Tanner Hudson, Allen Davis

blacklab1010
Captain
Captain

Postby blacklab1010 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:06 pm

rlawrencejr wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:15 pm The draft order for this new superflex startup league has been determined; I will pick 5th over in a 12-man snake draft. We will have 3 separate 12-round drafts. Presuming that Mahomes, Barkley, Gurley, and Elliott go with the first 4 picks of our first draft, who do you all think I should grab with my 1.05 pick? Do I go with Nuk, Kamara, or McCaffrey, or should I grab a QB? Any suggestions for my next 2 picks at 2.08 and 3.05?

Should I try to trade up to the first overall pick so I can draft Mahomes with the 1st overall pick? If so, what should I offer concerning future draft picks?

i would take McCaffrey if this scenario happens since it looks like the qbs are not going fast and will be there the next time by, many would say qb here, but i think here mccafrey is the last of the top rec rbs and there will be good qbs in the next 2 rds
Superflex 10 Team PPR 30 man roster-- Must start 14 Players: 1QB+1Superflex/3RBs/4WRs/2TE/Flex/D/K

QBs - Josh Allen, Kirk Cousins, Easton Stick, Tommy Devito, Case Keenum
RBs - Nick Chubb, Derrick Henry/Tayjae Spears, Austin Ekeler/ Isaiah Spiller, Josh Kelly, Alvin Kamara/Kendre Miller, Rico Dowdle, Ty Johnson, Latavius Murray, Zack Moss, Tyler Goodson, Trey Sermon, Dernest Johnson
WRs -Rashee Rice.Gabriel Davis, Keenan Allen, Chris Godwin, Noah Brown, Adam Theilen, Russel Gage, Xavier Gipson,
TEs - Travis Kelce, Darren Waller, Dalton Schultz, Tanner Hudson, Allen Davis

Pete
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Pete » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:13 am

Thanks blacklab! Assuming I can’t trade up and grab Mahomes, and I pick 1.05, 2.08, and 3.05, who would be your first 3 draft picks?

Pete
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Pete » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:17 am

Thanks Captain!

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:32 pm

rlawrencejr wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:13 am Thanks blacklab! Assuming I can’t trade up and grab Mahomes, and I pick 1.05, 2.08, and 3.05, who would be your first 3 draft picks?
It depends who is there, personally if I had the 1.05 I'd be set on a QB there, no matter what.

Is it a live draft or offline that will allow for a few hours between picks? If it's offline, you can post here and get good advice.