Came up short... Next moves?

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
keebs3
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Came up short... Next moves?

Postby keebs3 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:21 pm

This would be for team one below. I won the regular season but the team crapped out in the Championship- scoring my lowest total of the year.
What would you be looking for moving forward? Sell DJ? Upgrade a WR? I'd love to hear any thoughts or advice you may have!

21 man rosters, we cut to make room for draft picks, as many as we want. I'll probably cut 3 and pick rookies. Also a few guys on waivers:
Cobb, Stafford, Enunwa, Hyde, Allison

Not sure any would make my roster, especially needing to cut 3- but a couple are FA's and value could spike in time for me to sell. Cobb perhaps?
The Usurpers-10 team-.5PPR-1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 1FLEX
Adopted/Rebuilt 2016-2017 | 2018 Runner up

QB: Deshaun Watson -Cam Newton | Baker Mayfield | Daniel Jones
RB: Saquon Barkley | David Johnson -Breida | Duke | Armstead | D. Harris | J. Samuels
WR: DeAndre Hopkins | Keenan Allen | Stefon Diggs -Christian Kirk | JJAW | James Washington | Hurd
TE: Hunter Henry -Austin Hooper | Irv Smith Jr.

Warriors of the Scarlet Eye-10 team-PPR-Best Ball League-2QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 2FLEX
Est. 2017 | 2018 League Champion :trophy: | 2019 Runner up

QB: Russell Wilson | Baker Mayfield -Carson Wentz
RB: Joe Mixon | Dalvin Cook | Nick Chubb -Mark Ingram | Royce Freeman | Justice Hill | Matt Breida | Bernard | Jonathan Williams
WR: Davante Adams | Mike Evans | Julio Jones -Sammy Watkins | John Brown | DeVante Parker | Deebo Samuel | Nelson Agholor | Terry McLaurin
TE: Evan Engram -Hunter Henry | Ian Thomas | Jacob Hollister

Paul717
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Came up short... Next moves?

Postby Paul717 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:23 am

So I personally consider myself a "fantasy hoarder", and find it tough to cut down from 24 to 16 before Draft Day. Which 3 players above were you thinking about dropping? Am I correct in counting 23 players above? Is there an IR aspect to the league?

I like the rule that you can choose how many players to cut / draft! Can you cut 0 and keep 21? If so, can you trade 2019 picks for picks in later years? If 2.09 is the first pick you have (per the signature I'm reading), you really need to ask if you'd expect to get anyone better in that spot than someone you'd drop. For an admitted "fantasy hoarder" like myself, the answer to me is usually "no". But that's why forums like this are good to bounce ideas...really curious to see how you'd stack rank that team and who you'd consider cutting or close to the cutting line.
"Marathon Square" - 16 team full PPR league with 24 player roster. Keep 16 per year indefinitely, draft 8. Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 Team DST
QB: Jordan Love, Deshaun Watson
RB: Travis Etienne, Aaron Jones, Jamaal Williams, Kendre Miller, Jaleel McLaughlin, Sean Tucker, Deuce Vaughn
WR: A.J. Brown, Garrett Wilson, Tee Higgins, Calvin Ridley, Michael Wilson, Kendrick Bourne, Tutu Atwell, Allen Lazard, Isaiah Hodgins, Justin Shorter
TE: T.J. Hockenson, Cole Kmet, Kylen Granson
K: Didn't make the playoffs in 2023 :cry: , and don't usually hold one in the offseason
Team DST: Cowboys, Lions

Picks:
2024: All my picks except 3rd rounder

Disclaimer: My one and only Championship in this league was way back in 2011. Therefore, take my replies with the appropriate grain of salt. :lol:

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:26 am

I wouldn't make a lot of major changes. You got unlucky, but you should be back in hunt again next year. Only thing I'd probably do for now is move Mike Williams since you already have Allen. Package him with one of your other young WRs for an upgrade.

pmart33
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby pmart33 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:44 am

I'm in a similar situation myself. Sometimes you get unlucky at the wrong time.

Your roster doesn't need much, but if you're looking to be aggressive, maybe try and package Mike Williams and one of your TEs to add Ertz, Kittle or Kelce if one of those owners is in a rebuild situation.

Worst case you can stand pat and likely be one of the top seeds again next year.
For Podcasts, Blogs and more please visit:
https://www.sundaysurefire.com/

Team 1
12 Team .5 PPR
Starters 1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 2Flex-WR/RB/TE

QB Hurts Love Cousins
RB CMC Stevenson Ekeler Mostert Spiller
WR Hill Puka Aiyuk Diggs
TE Kelce

Team 2
12 Team PPR SF TE Prem
Starters 1QB 1SF 2RB 2WR 1TE 3Flex-WR/RB/TE

QB Kyler A-Rich
RB Dobbins Hull
WR Flowers London C. Watson Mingo
TE McBride Musgrave Mayer Fant

1.01 1.03
4 2025 1sts
5 2026 1sts

Team 3
12 Team PPR SF
Starters 1QB 1SF 2RB 2WR 1TE 2Flex-WR/RB/TE

QB Burrow Purdy Howell
RB Taylor Hall Kyren Ekeler Pollard Z. White Dowdle
WR Lamb Puka Deebo Dionte M. Williams Zay Jones
TE Njoku Fant Hill

Team 4
12 Team .5 PPR SF TE Prem 1 PPR
Starters 1QB 1SF 2RB 2WR 1TE 2Flex-WR/RB/TE

QB Purdy Cousins Watson Levis Fields
RB Bijan Gibbs Barkley Walker Kyren
WR Lamb Hill Kupp Dell Diontae E. Moore Mims Pierce
TE Hockenson Goedert

3 2025 1sts
4 2026 1sts

jetsfan5757
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby jetsfan5757 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:49 am

Good point by Paul717 regarding players vs roster spots, and also regarding your draft picks. I doubt at 2.09 and lower you get guys better than you already have.

I would grab Allison IMMEDIATELY. Like now.

Guys I would cut have been deleted from your sig below. This leaves you at 21 spots.

To create more spots I would trade to try to consolidate some of your depth for better depth (trades don't always have to net studs). You don't need 3 QBs or 3 TEs but I also wouldn't want to cut any of those guys, so try packaging them with WR/RB depth to improve WR/RBs. See if you can send Jackson+ to Gordon owner or Kelly+ to Gurley owner and get a better player in return. Stuff like that. I would NOT do anything drastic...

QB: Cam Newton | Trubisky | Garoppolo
RB: Saquon Barkley | David Johnson | Carson | Breida | Duke | Collins* | Justin Jackson | John Kelly
WR: DeAndre Hopkins | Keenan Allen | Stefon Diggs | Mike Williams | Christian Kirk | Coutee | Allison
TE: Hunter Henry | Ebron | Hooper
Dynasty League (25 man rosters + 2 IR, non-PPR scoring. QB/3RB/3WR/2TE/K/DB/LB/DL no flex)

QB (1): Herbert, Lawrence, Darnold
RB (3): N. Chubb, D. Henry, J. Taylor, JK Dobbins, Pollard, Singletary, L. Murray
WR (3): D. Hopkins, D. Adams, M. Evans, D.J. Moore, DJ Chark, B. Aiyuk, J. Smith-Schuster, R Bateman, E. Moore
TE (2): I. Smith Jr, H. Henry, Schultz, Tremble

K (1): M. Crosby

DB (1): J. Adams
LB (1): F. Warner
DL (1): D. Lawrence

PS: I often don't revisit a thread after posting. Send me a message if you ever want further thoughts on a comment I made.

jetsfan5757
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby jetsfan5757 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:49 am

pmart33 wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:44 am I'm in a similar situation myself. Sometimes you get unlucky at the wrong time.

Your roster doesn't need much, but if you're looking to be aggressive, maybe try and package Mike Williams and one of your TEs to add Ertz, Kittle or Kelce if one of those owners is in a rebuild situation.

Worst case you can stand pat and likely be one of the top seeds again next year.
GREAT idea if one of those owners bites!
Dynasty League (25 man rosters + 2 IR, non-PPR scoring. QB/3RB/3WR/2TE/K/DB/LB/DL no flex)

RB (3): N. Chubb, D. Henry, J. Taylor, JK Dobbins, Pollard, Singletary, L. Murray
WR (3): D. Hopkins, D. Adams, M. Evans, D.J. Moore, DJ Chark, B. Aiyuk, J. Smith-Schuster, R Bateman, E. Moore

PS: I often don't revisit a thread after posting. Send me a message if you ever want further thoughts on a comment I made.

keebs3
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby keebs3 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:09 pm

Paul717 wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:23 am So I personally consider myself a "fantasy hoarder", and find it tough to cut down from 24 to 16 before Draft Day. Which 3 players above were you thinking about dropping? Am I correct in counting 23 players above? Is there an IR aspect to the league?

I like the rule that you can choose how many players to cut / draft! Can you cut 0 and keep 21? If so, can you trade 2019 picks for picks in later years? If 2.09 is the first pick you have (per the signature I'm reading), you really need to ask if you'd expect to get anyone better in that spot than someone you'd drop. For an admitted "fantasy hoarder" like myself, the answer to me is usually "no". But that's why forums like this are good to bounce ideas...really curious to see how you'd stack rank that team and who you'd consider cutting or close to the cutting line.
Yep- Normally I would agree, but with only 10 teams people tend to drop players they shouldn't. For example, someone cut Hunter Henry when he got her and I drafted him in the 2nd round of our rookie/FA draft. Garoppolo was just on waivers. It makes it more difficult to do minor trades but I do like the idea of consolidating a bit more.
I've been trying to move Carson to the Penny owner but can't get reasonable value. Mike Williams may be a good guy to try and move.
The Usurpers-10 team-.5PPR-1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 1FLEX
Adopted/Rebuilt 2016-2017 | 2018 Runner up

QB: Deshaun Watson -Cam Newton | Baker Mayfield | Daniel Jones
RB: Saquon Barkley | David Johnson -Breida | Duke | Armstead | D. Harris | J. Samuels
WR: DeAndre Hopkins | Keenan Allen | Stefon Diggs -Christian Kirk | JJAW | James Washington | Hurd
TE: Hunter Henry -Austin Hooper | Irv Smith Jr.

Warriors of the Scarlet Eye-10 team-PPR-Best Ball League-2QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 2FLEX
Est. 2017 | 2018 League Champion :trophy: | 2019 Runner up

QB: Russell Wilson | Baker Mayfield -Carson Wentz
RB: Joe Mixon | Dalvin Cook | Nick Chubb -Mark Ingram | Royce Freeman | Justice Hill | Matt Breida | Bernard | Jonathan Williams
WR: Davante Adams | Mike Evans | Julio Jones -Sammy Watkins | John Brown | DeVante Parker | Deebo Samuel | Nelson Agholor | Terry McLaurin
TE: Evan Engram -Hunter Henry | Ian Thomas | Jacob Hollister

vixen
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby vixen » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:56 pm

justin jackson and john kelly would be my cuts
i would try to move Mike Williams (because you own Keenan), MVS and collins in a package for a player...the problem is that in a 10 team league with shallow rosters, it is more difficult to move multiple players for one...

good luck
team 1 -start QB RB 2WR TE 2RB/WR 1WR/TE
qbs=5pt tds wr/te=1 ppr rbs=.5ppr all get .25ppc
Watson, Brady, Mills
Ekeler, Hunt, Carson/Penny, DForeman, Mitchell, CPat, Kyren, Ford, KHarris
Cooper, sutton, Chase, Shepard, Atwell, Schwartz, Wan'Dale, Austin III
Gesicki, Engram, Hooper, Woods
team 2 -start QB 2RB 3WR TE 2Flex K D
Cousins, Stafford
DH JT, Ekeler, Kylin Hill, Herbert, KHarris, Chandler
Hopkins, Diggs, Adams, Godwin, McLaurin, Callaway, DPJ, Robby Anderson, Schwartz, Pierce, Wan'Dale, Doubs
Kelce, Andrews, Jacob Harris

jetsfan5757
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby jetsfan5757 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:31 pm

vixen wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:56 pm the problem is that in a 10 team league with shallow rosters, it is more difficult to move multiple players for one...
Ain't that the truth!

Martpe
Captain
Captain

Postby Martpe » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:35 pm

Would try to sell MW or Kirk plus some of the 2nd rounder for a RB (you need one more imo).
Maybe A Jones (if lucky), K Johnson, Guice, Sony or Lindsay maybe.

So similar to other above, as you were unlucky don’t panic
Team 1, 0.5 PPR SuperFlex: QB, FlexQB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, Flex
QB: Watson, Herbert (Mariota)
RB: Barkley, Jacobs, Dobbins (Akers, K Herbert)
WR: DJ Moore, Woods, Golladay (T Patrick, Shenault, Rondale M, Cephus)
TE: Goedert (Njoku, Bryant, Trautman)
Pick 1.01