Was this a horrible trade?

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
NorCal79
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Was this a horrible trade?

Postby NorCal79 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:28 am

Ok so my leagues trade deadline was last Thursday before the Packers-Seahawks game kicked off. I feel I have a legit shot to contend for the championship so I’ve been trying for weeks to add a RB and have had no one willing to listen to offers. Finally an hour before the trade deadline another owner that is rebuilding finally accepted his team isn’t very good and started seriously listening to offers. Before any of you crush me this is a salary cap league set at $600M at each players salary increases 10% for every year remaining which also factored into my decision.

Gave: L. Bell (contract $52M signed thru 2020) T. Coleman ($24M free agent at end of this season) and a 2019 1st (probably 1.04-1.06)

Received: C. McCaffrey ($42M signed thru 2020) and R. Grant ($18M free agent at end of season I didn’t really want him but had to make salaries fit under cap so trade could be processed).

Now I’m sure some of you are thinking I’m an idiot and gave up way too much so let me plead my case. First and most importantly I’m trying to win this year so McCaffrey obviously helps me now more then Bell who won’t be playing this year and I will save money on the salary cap the next two years. Plus with the recent reports on what he is looks for next season the only teams I can think of dumb enough to invest that much money in him are the Raiders and the Jets. Sure there might be another team or two interested but I think Bell is all about making the most money so he doesn’t look bad for passing up $14.5M this year I don’t think he cares how competitive his next team actually will be. It just feels like the typical Raiders/Jets kind of move. Young QB’s poor roster let’s overpay a diva RB and continue to be pathetic franchises.

I really didn’t want to add the 1st round pick to the deal but the other owner wouldn’t discuss the trade without it. Like I’ve read on many other threads on this site sometimes you have to overpay to get a deal done.

As far as adding Coleman it was just bad timing for me. The other owner only had 1 other RB that wasn’t on their bye week besides McCaffrey so I threw him in so he could set a full lineup and Grant was sent in return for cap purposes. I like Coleman but unless I franchise tag him at the end of the year I lose him anyway and barring injury I don’t see any scenario where I will play him over McCaffrey, Mixon, and Jones for the remainder of the season. That’s all I got please let me know if it’s a decent trade or if I’m a #%@+ing idiot. Thanks in advance for any and all responses.
10 team dynasty league PPR 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1DEF/1K/1RBWRTE FLEX
$600M Salary Cap

QB: Murray, Ryan
RB: McCaffrey, David Johnson, Aaron Jones, Michel, J. Howard
WR: Julio, Godwin, Sutton, Marvin Jones, Hilton, DeMarcus Robinson, Preston Williams
TE: Kittle, Hooper, Oliver
K: Zuerlien
DEF: Pittsburgh

2021 Picks: 1, 3, 4, 4, 5, 6

2019 Champion

Vollie
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Was this a horrible trade?

Postby Vollie » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:51 am

I'm not really into Salary Cap leagues, but McCaffrey could win the leauge for you (good macthups during fantasy playoffs…) and i'd prefer winning once, over winning never…

Your team is young and most players should keep their current standing in their teams next season, so i guess it won't hurt you to much skipping round 1 next draft.

I maybe would have done the same...
Im Club gibt's nur den Soundtrack, den Film fährst du dir selbst.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:44 am

No that was a great trade. CMC is way more valuable than Bell and at a cheaper price. Tevin expires at the end of the year anyway. The 1st was worth it

FantasyFoosball
Legend
Legend

Postby FantasyFoosball » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:02 am

As someone in a salary cap league, this trade was fine. I like CMC a lot, I was higher on him than most coming into the season, and he has not disappointed. I think he's worth three firsts. I think this trade makes your team better and more competitive, and saving salary cap space is a bonus.
Team One:
10 Team Salary Cap League w/ IDP - Est. 2018
2018: Champions!
2019: Champions!!
2020: 2nd Place
2021: Loss in Semis
2022: Champions!!!
.5 PPR/$200 budget
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/TE, 1 K, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 3 DL/LB/DB

QB - Mahomes
RB - CMC, White, Sanders, Herbert, Foreman, McKinnon
WR - Diggs, Ridley, Godwin, KJ Osborn, Woods, Claypool, Campbell
TE - Kittle, Goedert, Gesicki
K - Bass
DL - Reddick, Jones, M. Sweat
LB - R. Smith, Wagner, Leonard, White, Perryman, Cashman
DB - Byard, Bell, Hobbs, Jenkins

2024: 3rd

Team Two:
DLF Advice Forum League
14 Team PPR SF/TE Premium (2PPR)
2020: 4th Place
2021: 2nd Place
1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1SF, 2Flex
QB - Allen, Carr, Mayfield, Trask, Zappe
RB - Harris, Gibson, Herbert, K. Miller, C. Brown
WR - MT, G. Davis, Bourne, Skyy Moore, Reynolds, Shakir, A.T. Perry, C. Moore, Hinton
TE - Kittle, Andrews, Woods

2024: 1, 2, 3, 4

BigBawseRoss
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BigBawseRoss » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:08 am

wouldnt have given coleman with bell and a first. figure out the 6m a different way.
team 1
12 team, 1 pt for 4 rec, 0.1 per rush
1qb, 3 rb, 4 wr, te, k, 4 idp
Dak , Herbert
Achane, Breece Hall, KW3Kyren,Ford, Miller, Spiller, z evans, singletary
J Jefferson, Diggs, DK, D Smith Puka, C Watson, E Moore
Njoku , HH, Engram

2024 picks
1,3,4,5,5,6,7 (all late mostly)

team 2
12 team .5ppr
qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, te, flx,flx,
Fields, Dak
Ford,Mixon, Javonte, Mostert, Chubb, Spears
Hopkins, Evans, g Wilson Mingo, shaheed, Jamo
Kelce,McBride, Chig,

team 3
14 team sf, even scoring idp to offense (rb scores highly too)
Josh Allen, A Rich, Foles, Rudolph
Bijan, Charbs, Spears, Ebner
J Williams, G Wilson, C Watson, Flowers, J Addison, Tillman
Kincaid, Kolar, Ruckert, Fergeson

Kenny Clark, josh allen, jaelen phillips, felix a-u and a bunch of fluff and rookie fliers at idp

EAGLES
MVP
MVP

Postby EAGLES » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:23 am

If you win, this will be worth it; however, if you don’t win this is going to hurt. I get your concern with Bell and his asking price, but I’m confused why you wouldn’t have wanted to tag Tevin at the end of the season? He could land somewhere good and be a solid RB to trade, value wise. Not to mention, you have Freeman who is piling up injuries. This was definitely an overpay, not a fan of using Tevin as a throw in but if you win it all it’s worth it!

NorCal79
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby NorCal79 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:15 am

I was skeptical about adding Coleman as well but tagging him would have put his salary around $55M-$60M so keeping him and still having Bell that would have been a little more then 10% of my cap next year for two guys that I have no idea on where they will be playing. The pick I gave up was another owners pick I acquired in a trade earlier in the year so I still have all my original picks next year. Discussions for this trade all started in the last hour before the deadline so I had to make quick decisions and I think ultimately I would have regretted now going for it this year. Plus CMC is a stud. Thanks for all the feedback from everyone and good luck to you all in the playoffs.
10 team dynasty league PPR 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1DEF/1K/1RBWRTE FLEX
$600M Salary Cap

QB: Murray, Ryan
RB: McCaffrey, David Johnson, Aaron Jones, Michel, J. Howard
WR: Julio, Godwin, Sutton, Marvin Jones, Hilton, DeMarcus Robinson, Preston Williams
TE: Kittle, Hooper, Oliver
K: Zuerlien
DEF: Pittsburgh

2021 Picks: 1, 3, 4, 4, 5, 6

2019 Champion

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:21 am

If you win, it'll be fine, but I agree that you probably should have been able to keep Coleman or the 1st.

ESKAY
Captain
Captain

Postby ESKAY » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:51 pm

I also overpay to get deals done also. I will never fault somebody for trying to win now, and getting your guy. It may be a slight overpay but you know it was. It’s not like your stupid and didn’t know you were giving up a lot. You did what you had to do to get it done.

Duke Nuk’em
Starter
Starter

Postby Duke Nuk’em » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:00 pm

I'm not into salary cap leagues so I'm still trying to figure out how Grant can be $18mil