Corey Davis or Jarvis Landry

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
Dibbles
MVP
MVP

Re: Corey Davis or Jarvis Landry

Postby Dibbles » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:48 am

Davis pretty easily for me. You know exactly what you are getting with Landry, solid floor and minimal upside, with seemingly increasing crowding around him (Njoku, Chubb, free Duke, etc). Davis is younger, recently rounding into the form we expected (targets and production), and has significant upside from here as a clear 1A option.

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:37 am

darewood11 wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:56 pm
WhatWouldDitkaDo wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:50 am Davis. I've been off the Landry train since last offseason. People can tout him all they want, but he's not athletic enough to be a no. 1 WR. He's a slot guy whose fantasy ceiling is capped as a WR2. The only reason for his WR1 production in MIA was an unsustainable target share and scoring rate.
Hes on pace for 180 targets...unsustainable??
1. Landry isn't producing despite all these targets, and his targets have steadily declined in recent weeks with the coaching change. Landry's pace for 180 targets is completely unsustainable.

2. Another argument I'm seeing is that Mayfield will improve next year, leading to more efficiency for Landry. But by that point, I would assume that CLE will also add more receiving weapons for him as well in free agency and the draft, further diluting the target share.
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

btv802
All Pro
All Pro

Postby btv802 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:33 am

This is actually a tough one for me because I think they are both suffering due to being in a terrible offense this year. The answer seems to be Corey Davis at the moment...but if the Browns get their offense sorted out, Jarvis' PPR target floor always tends to make him a consistently great fantasy asset.
GREEN MOUNTAIN BOYS
12 Teams - 24 Active - 4 IR - 4 Taxi - 1pt PPR, 6pt Pass TDs, No INTs - 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLX
QB: R. Wilson, T. Brady, K. Cousins
RB: M. Gordon, D. Cook, T. Coleman, J. McKinnon, I. Smith
WR: B. Cooks, J. Jones, A.J. Green, S. Watkins, M. Williams, M. Valdes-Scantling, J. Ross, M. Lee, T. Taylor, P. Richardson
TE: T. Kelce, D. Njoku, J. Smith
TAXI: B. Snell, M. Weber, K. Warring
2021: 3rd, 3rd, 4th

BigBawseRoss
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BigBawseRoss » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:00 pm

landry. a 2nd on top is amazing.

one good game doesnt change things, its a step in the right direction though.

both guys are option 1 in the passing game for years to come. landry sees a lot more opportunity and has a much better record for success.

i think the safe and also smart option is landry. i dont see why davis has a higher supposed ceiling.
team 1
12 team, 1 pt for 4 rec, 0.1 per rush
1qb, 3 rb, 4 wr, te, k, 4 idp
Dak , Herbert
Achane, Breece Hall, KW3Kyren,Ford, Miller, Spiller, z evans, singletary
J Jefferson, Diggs, DK, D Smith Puka, C Watson, E Moore
Njoku , HH, Engram

2024 picks
1,3,4,5,5,6,7 (all late mostly)

team 2
12 team .5ppr
qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, te, flx,flx,
Fields, Dak
Ford,Mixon, Javonte, Mostert, Chubb, Spears
Hopkins, Evans, g Wilson Mingo, shaheed, Jamo
Kelce,McBride, Chig,

team 3
14 team sf, even scoring idp to offense (rb scores highly too)
Josh Allen, A Rich, Foles, Rudolph
Bijan, Charbs, Spears, Ebner
J Williams, G Wilson, C Watson, Flowers, J Addison, Tillman
Kincaid, Kolar, Ruckert, Fergeson

Kenny Clark, josh allen, jaelen phillips, felix a-u and a bunch of fluff and rookie fliers at idp

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:01 pm

Davis is still so young and comes from a small school. He's the pick here but it's def close.

btv802
All Pro
All Pro

Postby btv802 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:31 pm

BigBawseRoss wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:00 pm i think the safe and also smart option is landry. i dont see why davis has a higher supposed ceiling.
I fear the day when Jarvis target volume goes down. He's always been limited vertically and he's only catching like half of the balls thrown his way this year. At a certain point...it's just hurting you too much as an offense to throw the ball at Jarvis 160 times if this is what he's giving you.

In my opinion...At his best, Davis looks like he can do everything. Win with his routes in the short game, stretch the field vertically on the outside and has the big catch radius and size to be a legit red zone weapon. Sky seems like the limit for him if the Titans offense can get it together.
Last edited by btv802 on Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GREEN MOUNTAIN BOYS
12 Teams - 24 Active - 4 IR - 4 Taxi - 1pt PPR, 6pt Pass TDs, No INTs - 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLX
WR: B. Cooks, J. Jones, A.J. Green, S. Watkins, M. Williams, M. Valdes-Scantling, J. Ross, M. Lee, T. Taylor, P. Richardson

Titans95
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Titans95 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:31 pm

BigBawseRoss wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:00 pm landry. a 2nd on top is amazing.

one good game doesnt change things, its a step in the right direction though.

both guys are option 1 in the passing game for years to come. landry sees a lot more opportunity and has a much better record for success.

i think the safe and also smart option is landry. i dont see why davis has a higher supposed ceiling.
Because as of right now Landry is completely failing as the #1 WR for the browns, I think a lot of that is the offense but I also think that has to do with Haley trying to make Jarvis his AB when Jarvis isn't meant to be an outside WR, he's an elite slot option which can still have a top 5 ceiling with his receptions but realistically the top WR's we talk about today are the guys that are winning consistently on the outside not just slot guys. Davis on the other hand is a prototypical outside #1 guy that's big and fast.

I get that Jarvis has done it before but both have plenty of question marks going forward. IMO if the coaching staff doesn't smarten up and put Landry exclusively back in the slot where he belongs his longterm outlook doesn't seem so great.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:54 pm

Titans95 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:31 pm Because as of right now Landry is completely failing as the #1 WR for the browns
Yet it can be reasonably argued that Davis is also completely failing - now for a year and a half+ - as the #1 WR for the Titans... Why does he get a pass?
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

btv802
All Pro
All Pro

Postby btv802 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:17 pm

skip wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:54 pm
Titans95 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:31 pm Because as of right now Landry is completely failing as the #1 WR for the browns
Yet it can be reasonably argued that Davis is also completely failing - now for a year and a half+ - as the #1 WR for the Titans... Why does he get a pass?
He shouldn't get a pass. He was absolutely terrible as a rookie and has continued to be very inconsistent as a 2nd year player.

Allow me to share a bit of hyperbole. I would point to the Titans two biggest wins of the season being games when Marcus passed the ball well and fed Corey Davis to huge stat lines.

On the contrary, last week Baker Mayfield had one of his best games and biggest wins of the year and Jarvis caught 2 of his 5 targets for 22 yards in that game.
Last edited by btv802 on Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GREEN MOUNTAIN BOYS

BigBawseRoss
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BigBawseRoss » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:21 pm

btv802 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:31 pm
BigBawseRoss wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:00 pm i think the safe and also smart option is landry. i dont see why davis has a higher supposed ceiling.
I fear the day when Jarvis target volume goes down. He's always been limited vertically and he's only catching like half of the balls thrown his way this year. At a certain point...it's just hurting you too much as an offense to throw the ball at Jarvis 160 times if this is what he's giving you.

In my opinion...At his best, Davis looks like he can do everything. Win with his routes in the short game, stretch the field vertically on the outside and has the big catch radius and size to be a legit red zone weapon. Sky seems like the limit for him if the Titans offense can get it together.

thats where my hangup is, if i know landry is a top 24 WR regardless of QB or system then i take that over a guy i cant trust due to his team and qb play. ive learned the WR cant throw the ball to himself or draw up the plays so situation plays heavily into how i view guys at times where i cant make sense of why the talent isnt producing. i believe davis has talent i just dont think he is gonna thrive or be reliable in tenessee with mariota as his qb, despite what 2 games vs NE showed (interesting that 2 of his 3 good games in his career were vs NE i just now made that connection).
team 1
Dak , Herbert
Njoku , HH, Engram

2024 picks

team 2
12 team .5ppr
Fields, Dak
Kelce,McBride, Chig,

team 3

Kenny Clark, josh allen, jaelen phillips, felix a-u and a bunch of fluff and rookie fliers at idp

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:40 pm

When did we waive the three year waiting period for WRs? Landry came on strong but has not improved a drop since year 2. He's max'd out.

BigBawseRoss
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BigBawseRoss » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:58 pm

Space Cowboy wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:40 pm
When did we waive the three year waiting period for WRs? Landry came on strong but has not improved a drop since year 2. He's max'd out.
dude i am all for hating on guys you hate and hyping up guys you love but be real. how the hell you want landry to improve when dealing with two awful teams and a long list of non NFL caliber QBs throwing him the ball? tannehill, cutler, moore, tyrod, and now a rookie in baker.... philbin, gase, haley/hue, and now whoever is in charge.... and you expect him to just get steadily better??

if anything he is just proving he is QB/coach/idiot proof and people should be wondering how well he could produce if in the same system with the same QB for more than 1 season.
team 1
Dak , Herbert
Njoku , HH, Engram

2024 picks

team 2
12 team .5ppr
Fields, Dak
Kelce,McBride, Chig,

team 3

Titans95
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Titans95 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:07 pm

for multiple reasons....He's a great prospect but came out of a very small school so the learning curve is steeper for him, his rookie year was plagued by a nagging hamstring injury, Mariota and the Titans offense has struggled, and lastly and most obviously because he's 23 and only played in about 16 games. Just because OBJ and MT come out breaking records left and right does not mean that's the norm for receivers. Davante Adams is a prime example of a guy taking time to develop. The rule of thumb has always been 3 years and I'm not saying that's the exact science, its just a rule of thumb. In his time in the NFL Davis HAS flashed his capabilities on certain plays and in a few games. If he's still this inconsistent come week 10 of 2019 then I'll start to reconsider how I view davis, as of now he's a prospect I think has high end talent to be a top 5-10 guy.

My comment about Jarvis failing at being the #1 for the Browns wasn't to say Jarvis is a bad WR. He's an elite slot receiver....not a guy that can win consistently on the outside. If the Browns move him back into the slot for most of his routes then I'll start to bump him up again and would take Jarvis' safety over Davis' upside but as of right now Jarvis is playing on the outside and not producing and shouldn't be counted on beign the 100+ reception guy he has been in the past.

As for upside, I'm not debating Jarvis can be a WR1 as he's done it multiple years in the slot but the truly elite guys are the WR's that win on the outside. I'd rather take a guy that can put up a statline like 7/150/1 vs a guy that has 15 receptions and doesn't break 100 yards.

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:16 pm

BigBawseRoss wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:58 pm
Space Cowboy wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:40 pm

dude i am all for hating on guys you hate and hyping up guys you love but be real. how the hell you want landry to improve when dealing with two awful teams and a long list of non NFL caliber QBs throwing him the ball? tannehill, cutler, moore, tyrod, and now a rookie in baker.... philbin, gase, haley/hue, and now whoever is in charge.... and you expect him to just get steadily better??

if anything he is just proving he is QB/coach/idiot proof and people should be wondering how well he could produce if in the same system with the same QB for more than 1 season.
Slice and dice however you want with coaches, schemes and QBs, Landry is the same guy he was when he entered the league. Where has he improved? Stats can be restricted by bad surroundings but the improvement on his part has not been there. He's still struggling on the outside and can't consistently win downfield.

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:41 pm

Seems like both sides are giving each player an excuse that can be argued for both players. Landry is probably safer, but Davis has the higher upside. Current value should be very close.