CMC deal in my league...

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
hoos89
Legend
Legend

Re: CMC deal in my league...

Postby hoos89 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:06 am

RGKID144 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:30 am
I hear what you are saying. It's more of the fact that he has holes in his lineup. Remember, this is a MUST START 4 WR league. You can flex a 5th, so depth plays a HUGE role in this league. I can't stress that enough. So, my final thoughts are that I just don't think it's a savvy move with his current team makeup. Yes, he needs a RB, but I don't move mountains(which I think he did) and sacrifice any chance at depth I have to grab CMC. Also keep in mind TY is hurt(at least one injury is par for the course), and he started Mike Williams AND Ryan Grant this week, not to mention again Niles Paul. CMC or not, you aren't generally going to win weeks in this league with that type of lineup.

I think the move was simply to stay the course, as I don't think CMC puts him in any elite tier of this league, or gives him any brighter future than he has now. Just my two cents. Thanks all for the feedback!
There's no reason to worry about team makeup when you're rebuilding. Just make moves for value and eventually you can make moves to fill holes when you're ready to compete.
Team 1: 2012-2016
2013 Champion, 2012 Runner-Up

Team 2: 12 Team PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 R/W/T, 23 man rosters, est. 2016
2021 Champion, 2020 Runner-up
Tua, Purdy Geno, Carr
JT, Ekeler, Mostert, Javonte, Chuba, D. Harris, M. Carter, J. Hill, Spiller
Chase, AJB, Amon-Ra, Aiyuk, Olave, DJM, Dell
Andrews, McBride, Engram
IR(3): Chubb, M. Williams, Rodgers
Taxi(4): J. Palmer, Tolbert, T. Palmer
2024 Picks: 3, 4, 5

Team 3: 12 Team PPR, 6 pt Pass TD - 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 3 R/W/T, 28 man rosters, est. 2019
2021 Champion, 2022 Runner-up
Jackson, Love, Tannehill, Z. Wilson
Barkley, Mixon, Mostert, J. Wilson, CEH, Gaskin, J. Hill
J. Jefferson, Diggs, Waddle, Evans, Metcalf, Sutton, R. Moore, Slayton, Berrios, Carter, Dortch, Powell, Raymond
Kelce, Dissly, Hooper
2024 Picks: 1

Titans95
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Titans95 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:23 am

This is amazing value in a vacuum for CMC. I get where you are coming at with potentially screwing himself. The owner selling CMC probably saw it the way you did and realized if any type of injuries happen he could be in store for some really high picks. However, if his team pans out and those picks become late 1sts then this an absolute steal for a stud 22 year old RB that probably has the safest career path for any of the top 10 RB's besides for Gurley. He's a ppr monster that will not change regardless of coach and as of right now he's being used like a true workhorse. He's my RB5 in dynasty right now and I'd take him over the likes of DJ and Bell.

Some people cherish their picks because they have worked out so well for them in the past if they got guys like Gurley or Kamara or Hunt. Others look at it statistically and realize only 30% of all 1st round rookie picks over the past decade have been top 24 at their position for more than 1 season. That's not a great hit rate. We KNOW CMC is a top 24 guy for the next 5-8 years.

FantasyFoosball
Legend
Legend

Postby FantasyFoosball » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:34 am

CMC will be a top 5 RB for the next 5-6 years. He’s worth 3 first round picks. This guy got him for only 2 first round picks, and makes his team better for the next 5 years minimum.

Great move to get CMC.
Team One:
10 Team Salary Cap League w/ IDP - Est. 2018
2018: Champions!
2019: Champions!!
2020: 2nd Place
2021: Loss in Semis
2022: Champions!!!
.5 PPR/$200 budget
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/TE, 1 K, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 3 DL/LB/DB

QB - Mahomes
RB - CMC, White, Sanders, Herbert, Foreman, McKinnon
WR - Diggs, Ridley, Godwin, KJ Osborn, Woods, Claypool, Campbell
TE - Kittle, Goedert, Gesicki
K - Bass
DL - Reddick, Jones, M. Sweat
LB - R. Smith, Wagner, Leonard, White, Perryman, Cashman
DB - Byard, Bell, Hobbs, Jenkins

2024: 3rd

Team Two:
DLF Advice Forum League
14 Team PPR SF/TE Premium (2PPR)
2020: 4th Place
2021: 2nd Place
1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1SF, 2Flex
QB - Allen, Carr, Mayfield, Trask, Zappe
RB - Harris, Gibson, Herbert, K. Miller, C. Brown
WR - MT, G. Davis, Bourne, Skyy Moore, Reynolds, Shakir, A.T. Perry, C. Moore, Hinton
TE - Kittle, Andrews, Woods

2024: 1, 2, 3, 4

RGKID144
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby RGKID144 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:59 am

FantasyFoosball wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:34 am CMC will be a top 5 RB for the next 5-6 years. He’s worth 3 first round picks. This guy got him for only 2 first round picks, and makes his team better for the next 5 years minimum.

Great move to get CMC.
Titans95 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:23 am This is amazing value in a vacuum for CMC. I get where you are coming at with potentially screwing himself. The owner selling CMC probably saw it the way you did and realized if any type of injuries happen he could be in store for some really high picks. However, if his team pans out and those picks become late 1sts then this an absolute steal for a stud 22 year old RB that probably has the safest career path for any of the top 10 RB's besides for Gurley. He's a ppr monster that will not change regardless of coach and as of right now he's being used like a true workhorse. He's my RB5 in dynasty right now and I'd take him over the likes of DJ and Bell.

Some people cherish their picks because they have worked out so well for them in the past if they got guys like Gurley or Kamara or Hunt. Others look at it statistically and realize only 30% of all 1st round rookie picks over the past decade have been top 24 at their position for more than 1 season. That's not a great hit rate. We KNOW CMC is a top 24 guy for the next 5-8 years.
I appreciate your input guys!

However, I really think it's silly when people use 5 years, let alone "5-8 years" as a measuring stick of time for a dynasty league. That is just purely LUDICROUS. Here are the top 20 RB's from 2013, 5 years ago:

1. AP
2. Arian Foster
3. Ray Rice
4. Doug Martin
5. Jamaal Charles
6.Trent Richardson
7. CJ Spiller
8.Shady Mccoy
9.Marshawn Lynch
10.Steven Jackson
11.Darren Sproles
12.Reggie Bush
13.Matt Forte
14.Alfy Morris
15.Darren Mcfadden
16.MOJO
17.CJ2K
18.Frank Gore
19.David Wilson
20.Demarco Murray

Again, I really appreciate your input, but the thought of putting CMC into a category of only the ELITE OF THE ELITE is just silly. 5 years from now will be an entirely different world in fantasy.
Entering year ten of Dynasty 10 team 2QB/2RB/4WR/1TE/1FLEX(rb/wr/te).

QB: Bryce Young, Jared Goff, Mac Jones, Zach Wilson, Stetson Bennett.
WR: Garret Wilson, Devonta Smith, Tee Higgins, Michael Pittman, Odell Beckham, Treylon Burks, Zay Flowers, Curtis Samuel, Dyami Brown, Kenny Golladay.
RB: Bijan Robinson, Cam Akers, Antonio Gibson, Donta Foreman, Michael Carter, James Robinson, Dontrell Hilliard.
TE: Evan Engram, David Njoku, Trey McBride, Matt LaPorta Jelani Woods, Bob Tonyan.

Titans95
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Titans95 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:13 am

RGKID144 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:59 am
FantasyFoosball wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:34 am CMC will be a top 5 RB for the next 5-6 years. He’s worth 3 first round picks. This guy got him for only 2 first round picks, and makes his team better for the next 5 years minimum.

Great move to get CMC.
Titans95 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:23 am This is amazing value in a vacuum for CMC. I get where you are coming at with potentially screwing himself. The owner selling CMC probably saw it the way you did and realized if any type of injuries happen he could be in store for some really high picks. However, if his team pans out and those picks become late 1sts then this an absolute steal for a stud 22 year old RB that probably has the safest career path for any of the top 10 RB's besides for Gurley. He's a ppr monster that will not change regardless of coach and as of right now he's being used like a true workhorse. He's my RB5 in dynasty right now and I'd take him over the likes of DJ and Bell.

However, I really think it's silly when people use 5 years, let alone "5-8 years" as a measuring stick of time for a dynasty league. That is just purely LUDICROUS. Here are the top 20 RB's from 2013, 5 years ago:

1. AP
2. Arian Foster
3. Ray Rice
4. Doug Martin
5. Jamaal Charles
6.Trent Richardson
7. CJ Spiller
8.Shady Mccoy
9.Marshawn Lynch
10.Steven Jackson
11.Darren Sproles
12.Reggie Bush
13.Matt Forte
14.Alfy Morris
15.Darren Mcfadden
16.MOJO
17.CJ2K
18.Frank Gore
19.David Wilson
20.Demarco Murray

Again, I really appreciate your input, but the thought of putting CMC into a category of only the ELITE OF THE ELITE is just silly. 5 years from now will be an entirely different world in fantasy.
Of course the landscape will be different and you are partially correct that it is a bit aggressive to project that far out. Although the names I bolded in your list have all had 4+ years of RB1 status with Shady/AP/JC/Lynch all having 6-8 years of RB1 status. I don't think it's silly at all to consider CMC in that category of talent. CMC's greatest knock is he is a scat back not a true in between the tackles runner. IF that turns out to be the case in his career he is stil la high end RB2 or a backend RB1 off of those receptions alone. As we all know WR's have safer and much longer careers than RB's so its safe to assume CMC's floor is a high end RB2 for the next 6-8 years if you ask me. That's not even taking into account the upside CMC offers if he does transition to a true 3 down back.

FantasyFoosball
Legend
Legend

Postby FantasyFoosball » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:58 am

At this point, I honestly can’t tell if the OP is being serious, and just doesn’t know what he’s talking about, or is trolling.....
Team One:
10 Team Salary Cap League w/ IDP - Est. 2018
2018: Champions!
2019: Champions!!
2020: 2nd Place
2021: Loss in Semis
2022: Champions!!!
.5 PPR/$200 budget
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/TE, 1 K, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 3 DL/LB/DB

QB - Mahomes
RB - CMC, White, Sanders, Herbert, Foreman, McKinnon
WR - Diggs, Ridley, Godwin, KJ Osborn, Woods, Claypool, Campbell
TE - Kittle, Goedert, Gesicki
K - Bass
DL - Reddick, Jones, M. Sweat
LB - R. Smith, Wagner, Leonard, White, Perryman, Cashman
DB - Byard, Bell, Hobbs, Jenkins

2024: 3rd

Team Two:
DLF Advice Forum League
14 Team PPR SF/TE Premium (2PPR)
2020: 4th Place
2021: 2nd Place
1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1SF, 2Flex
QB - Allen, Carr, Mayfield, Trask, Zappe
RB - Harris, Gibson, Herbert, K. Miller, C. Brown
WR - MT, G. Davis, Bourne, Skyy Moore, Reynolds, Shakir, A.T. Perry, C. Moore, Hinton
TE - Kittle, Andrews, Woods

2024: 1, 2, 3, 4

RGKID144
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby RGKID144 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:02 am

FantasyFoosball wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:58 am At this point, I honestly can’t tell if the OP is being serious, and just doesn’t know what he’s talking about, or is trolling.....
Thanks for this post, kind of you.

WR: Garret Wilson, Devonta Smith, Tee Higgins, Michael Pittman, Odell Beckham, Treylon Burks, Zay Flowers, Curtis Samuel, Dyami Brown, Kenny Golladay.
RB: Bijan Robinson, Cam Akers, Antonio Gibson, Donta Foreman, Michael Carter, James Robinson, Dontrell Hilliard.
TE: Evan Engram, David Njoku, Trey McBride, Matt LaPorta Jelani Woods, Bob Tonyan.

diamonddave
Captain
Captain

Postby diamonddave » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:20 am

at the end of the day, he gave up ONE more player than he received.
he gets CMC...he gives two picks.
at best, one pick becomes a stud like CMC.
he has one more pick.
i don't think that he's gonna miss out on plugging that many holes with that one pick.
if he were trading all of his draft picks for the next two years for one player, i'd agree with your logic but as everyone seems to be saying, the trade was a great trade value-wise and i don't think it crippled his team much, if at all.
12-team, PPR, 2QB, IDP League--Start 2QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1 W/R/T, 2D, 1LB, 1DL, 1DB

QB: Patrick Mahomes, Kyler Murray, Bryce Young, Gardner Minshew
RB: Saquon Barkley, David Montgomery, D'Onta Foreman, AJ Dillon, Kenneth Gainwell, Jeff Wilson, Rico Dowdle, IR: JK Dobbins
WR: Ja'Marr Chase, Devonta Smith, Cooper Kupp, Diontae Johnson, Marquise Brown, Josh Palmer, Dontayvion Wicks, Tutu Atwell
TE: TJ Hockensen, Pat Freiermuth
K: Dustin Hopkins
LB: Roquan Smith, CJ Mosley, Terrel Bernard Ernest Jones, Quincy Williams
DL: Jonathan Greenard , Malcolm Koonce
DB: Jason Pinnock

RGKID144
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby RGKID144 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:30 am

Titans95 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:13 am

Great move to get CMC.

1. AP
2. Arian Foster
3. Ray Rice
4. Doug Martin
5. Jamaal Charles
6.Trent Richardson
7. CJ Spiller
8.Shady Mccoy
9.Marshawn Lynch
10.Steven Jackson
11.Darren Sproles
12.Reggie Bush
13.Matt Forte
14.Alfy Morris
15.Darren Mcfadden
16.MOJO
17.CJ2K
18.Frank Gore
19.David Wilson
20.Demarco Murray

Of course the landscape will be different and you are partially correct that it is a bit aggressive to project that far out. Although the names I bolded in your list have all had 4+ years of RB1 status with Shady/AP/JC/Lynch all having 6-8 years of RB1 status. I don't think it's silly at all to consider CMC in that category of talent. CMC's greatest knock is he is a scat back not a true in between the tackles runner. IF that turns out to be the case in his career he is stil la high end RB2 or a backend RB1 off of those receptions alone. As we all know WR's have safer and much longer careers than RB's so its safe to assume CMC's floor is a high end RB2 for the next 6-8 years if you ask me. That's not even taking into account the upside CMC offers if he does transition to a true 3 down back.
All fair points, appreciate you taking the time to bold those players. I think I just tend to undervalue RB's in our league. But, you make some good points, thanks again.

I guess since this is his second year already, I just dont see the value here in a guy with maybe 2-3 more seasons of top production. If he were to get 2-3 more seasons of top production, then it's a fine trade, but I don't think that's a lock by any stretch of the imagination, let alone more years than that.

Also side note: There was only one other trade in this league's history where two first round picks were moved, and it was 1.4, 1.6 and Alfy Morris for CJ Spiller. Those picks turned out to be Deandre Hopkins and Eddie Lacy. We consider it the worst trade in our league's history.

Again, thanks for all the productive posts here, appreciate and value everyone's opinion!

Titans95
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Titans95 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:07 am

RGKID144 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:30 am

1. AP
2. Arian Foster
3. Ray Rice
4. Doug Martin
5. Jamaal Charles
6.Trent Richardson
7. CJ Spiller
8.Shady Mccoy
9.Marshawn Lynch
10.Steven Jackson
11.Darren Sproles
12.Reggie Bush
13.Matt Forte
14.Alfy Morris
15.Darren Mcfadden
16.MOJO
17.CJ2K
18.Frank Gore
19.David Wilson
20.Demarco Murray

All fair points, appreciate you taking the time to bold those players. I think I just tend to undervalue RB's in our league. But, you make some good points, thanks again.

I guess since this is his second year already, I just dont see the value here in a guy with maybe 2-3 more seasons of top production. If he were to get 2-3 more seasons of top production, then it's a fine trade, but I don't think that's a lock by any stretch of the imagination, let alone more years than that.

Also side note: There was only one other trade in this league's history where two first round picks were moved, and it was 1.4, 1.6 and Alfy Morris for CJ Spiller. Those picks turned out to be Deandre Hopkins and Eddie Lacy. We consider it the worst trade in our league's history.

Again, thanks for all the productive posts here, appreciate and value everyone's opinion!
It's a bit harder to gauge rookie pick values because of trades like the Dhop one. The way you sky rocket to the top is if you hit on studs like Dhop or MT in the second round or Kamara. The reality though is for every MT there is a Laquon treadwell, Corey Coleman, and Josh Doctson. Imagine if those rookie picks turned out to be complete busts and he had to wait 2 years just to realize they were busts all the while the CMC owner is enjoying a top 10 back. It's hard to predict how trade turn out 2 years down the road but we all win some and lose some. Some people overvalue rookie picks and some undervalue them. Its personal preference and usually has to do with past experience of drafting busts/studs.

hoos89
Legend
Legend

Postby hoos89 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:13 am

Lots of dynasty trades look really bad if you look at them years after the fact. And yeah of course if you hit big on picks the picks look good, but most first round picks don't turn into Deandre Hopkins (or even Eddie Lacy). You could easily have gotten someone like Doctson, Treadwell, Sankey, TRich, John Ross, Corey Coleman, Kenneth Dixon, etc. Other first rounders that year included Tavon Austin, Montee Ball, Cordarrelle Patterson, Jonathan Franklin, Marcus Lattimore, Justin Hunter, and Tyler Eifert. So the guy who sold Spiller got very lucky. The expected value of two first round picks is not Deandre Hopkins + Eddie Lacy. And Spiller was quite valuable at the time.

The relevant question in determining whether a trade was fair is not what the values of the pieces turned out to be years later with perfect hindsight, but what the values of the pieces appeared to be at the time the trade was made.
Last edited by hoos89 on Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Team 1: 2012-2016
2013 Champion, 2012 Runner-Up

Team 2: 12 Team PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 R/W/T, 23 man rosters, est. 2016
2021 Champion, 2020 Runner-up
Tua, Purdy Geno, Carr
JT, Ekeler, Mostert, Javonte, Chuba, D. Harris, M. Carter, J. Hill, Spiller
Chase, AJB, Amon-Ra, Aiyuk, Olave, DJM, Dell
Andrews, McBride, Engram
IR(3): Chubb, M. Williams, Rodgers
Taxi(4): J. Palmer, Tolbert, T. Palmer
2024 Picks: 3, 4, 5

Team 3: 12 Team PPR, 6 pt Pass TD - 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 3 R/W/T, 28 man rosters, est. 2019
2021 Champion, 2022 Runner-up
Jackson, Love, Tannehill, Z. Wilson
Barkley, Mixon, Mostert, J. Wilson, CEH, Gaskin, J. Hill
J. Jefferson, Diggs, Waddle, Evans, Metcalf, Sutton, R. Moore, Slayton, Berrios, Carter, Dortch, Powell, Raymond
Kelce, Dissly, Hooper
2024 Picks: 1

RGKID144
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby RGKID144 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:15 am

Titans95 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:07 am

It's a bit harder to gauge rookie pick values because of trades like the Dhop one. The way you sky rocket to the top is if you hit on studs like Dhop or MT in the second round or Kamara. The reality though is for every MT there is a Laquon treadwell, Corey Coleman, and Josh Doctson. Imagine if those rookie picks turned out to be complete busts and he had to wait 2 years just to realize they were busts all the while the CMC owner is enjoying a top 10 back. It's hard to predict how trade turn out 2 years down the road but we all win some and lose some. Some people overvalue rookie picks and some undervalue them. Its personal preference and usually has to do with past experience of drafting busts/studs.
Haha, good call. I guess time will tell on this one. I just hope for his sake that Ben/Brees hold on for a few more years, and he doesn't get plagued with an injury bug which is all but inevitable in this crazy game we play. Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Trevormortis
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Trevormortis » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:21 am

There are way more busts than hits. I'd easily trade 2 firsts that weren't predicted early for CMC. I've had way too many Treadwell/Doctson types (and those were early picks).
Team 1. 12 team. 1 PPR. 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 FLEX 2017 2nd, 2018 2nd, 2019 1st, 2020 1st, 2021 2nd, 2022 1st
QB - Watson, G. Smith
RB - Henry, Ekeler, Kamara, D. Pierce, AJ Dillon, J. McLaughlin, Gainwell
WR - J. Jefferson, Diggs, AJ Brown, T. Higgins, M. Thomas, Cooks, Bateman, R. Moore, C. Tillman, J. Hyatt, D. Parker
TE - Kelce, J. Ferguson
2024 - 1,2,3,4,5
2025 - 1,2,3,4,5

Team 2. 12 team. .5 PPR. 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 FLEX 2019 1st, 2020 1st, 2021 2nd, 2023 Full rebuild mode
QB - Tua
RB - T. Spears, Z. Charbonnet, C. Hubbard, R. Rivers, D. Vaughn, J. Kelly, Chubb (IR)
WR - London, J. Downs, R. Rice, Burks, J. Jeudy, A. Pierce, C. Tillman, R. Bell, D. Parker, D. Slayton, Cooks
TE - J. Ferguson
2024 - 1,1,1,2,2,2
2025 - 1,1,2,2,5

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:06 pm

Very cheap for McCaffrey. Plenty of time for him to recoup picks and rebuild in a few weeks if things aren't looking great at that point.
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd