Tyreek Hill or Michael Thomas?

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.

Which one you rather have ?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:22 am

Tyreek Hill
22%
Michael Thomas
78%

Total votes: 50

Titans95
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Tyreek Hill or Michael Thomas?

Postby Titans95 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:51 pm

darewood11 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:35 pm
Goddard wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:08 am I think we need to stop calling Hill a deep threat. He just happens to be the best deep threat in the NFL, but the guy's averaging over 10 targets per game. Those 10+ targets aren't all just deep shots. He gets used in the screen game, run game, and will return a handful of punt returns for TDs as well. I wouldn't blame anyone for taking MT over him, but there shouldn't really be a gap at all.
This is exactly right. If you have watched hill this year the usage is there every game. Its clear hes there number 1 wr.
Of course he doesn't just run straight down the field every play, Reid is too good of a coach to let that happen but Tyreek will not be a ppr type of guy in his career. It's perfectly okay and not surprising he is scoring as much points as he does but that doesn't change the fact that Hill's game inherently has more boom/bust risk than Thomas. I'd rather have consistent 17-25 points per game than 40 points 5 times out of the year and under 10 5 times out of the year. The difference between tyreek and MT is that by years end more than half the games Tyreek will not be the target leader for his team yet Thomas will be the target leader for the Saints EVERY week. (discounting odd games where kamara see's 14 targets out of the backfield)

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:02 pm

Titans95 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:51 pm
Goddard wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:08 am I think we need to stop calling Hill a deep threat. He just happens to be the best deep threat in the NFL, but the guy's averaging over 10 targets per game. Those 10+ targets aren't all just deep shots. He gets used in the screen game, run game, and will return a handful of punt returns for TDs as well. I wouldn't blame anyone for taking MT over him, but there shouldn't really be a gap at all.
This is exactly right. If you have watched hill this year the usage is there every game. Its clear hes there number 1 wr.
Of course he doesn't just run straight down the field every play, Reid is too good of a coach to let that happen but Tyreek will not be a ppr type of guy in his career. It's perfectly okay and not surprising he is scoring as much points as he does but that doesn't change the fact that Hill's game inherently has more boom/bust risk than Thomas. I'd rather have consistent 17-25 points per game than 40 points 5 times out of the year and under 10 5 times out of the year. The difference between tyreek and MT is that by years end more than half the games Tyreek will not be the target leader for his team yet Thomas will be the target leader for the Saints EVERY week. (discounting odd games where kamara see's 14 targets out of the backfield)
So far this year, Hill's been targeted 10 times per game and is averaging just under 6 catches per game. Add in the couple of rush attempts and the threat of returning a punt for a TD, I'd say his usage will be just as good as any other WR in the league, if not better. Also, in 6 games, Hill has only scored less than 10 points once. Thomas has also scored under 10 points once, but he's only played in 5 games. His next lowest score was 11.4. His last two games, he has a combined 8 targets. I'm not trying to take anything away from MT, but let's not make it seem like he's Randy Moss and Hill is Torrey Smith. They both deserve to be in the same conversation and wouldn't blame anyone for going with either guy.

Not to mention (even though it's already been mentioned) that Hill is a year younger and will be with Mahomes for a long time. Brees could very well be gone next year leaving MT with a huge question mark at QB.

Titans95
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Titans95 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:36 pm

Goddard wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:02 pm
Titans95 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:51 pm

So far this year, Hill's been targeted 10 times per game and is averaging just under 6 catches per game. Add in the couple of rush attempts and the threat of returning a punt for a TD, I'd say his usage will be just as good as any other WR in the league, if not better. Also, in 6 games, Hill has only scored less than 10 points once. Thomas has also scored under 10 points once, but he's only played in 5 games. His next lowest score was 11.4. His last two games, he has a combined 8 targets. I'm not trying to take anything away from MT, but let's not make it seem like he's Randy Moss and Hill is Torrey Smith. They both deserve to be in the same conversation and wouldn't blame anyone for going with either guy.

Not to mention (even though it's already been mentioned) that Hill is a year younger and will be with Mahomes for a long time. Brees could very well be gone next year leaving MT with a huge question mark at QB.
I wasn't meaning to take anything away from Hill either, I think he's a WR version of Kamara and defies all efficiency odds. I admit I have always been a bit skeptical of Hill and he continues to defy my expectations for him but I also think MT is a safer option long-term and on a weekly basis and is a more traditional WR1 which I'd prefer just like I'd prefer a guy like Gurley over Kamara even if they continued to produce the same as they have throughout the first 6 weeks.

You did make a very solid point about his target totals so far this year and I can't argue against that other than he is actually only averaging 8.5 targets per game which is still a very solid number especially for a guy that is so dynamic. I just have a gut feeling that MT will have a longer and better overall career. It also bothers me that Sammy and Kelce have both out targeted Hill 3/6 weeks this season.

ESKAY
Captain
Captain

Postby ESKAY » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:18 pm

I think right now I would rather have MT. But as a previous poster mentioned what happens when the end comes for Brees. We don’t like to think about it but the end is near it goes downhill fast. So to answer the question I prefer MT this year but Hill long term.

darewood11
All Pro
All Pro

Postby darewood11 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:10 pm

ESKAY wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:18 pm I think right now I would rather have MT. But as a previous poster mentioned what happens when the end comes for Brees. We don’t like to think about it but the end is near it goes downhill fast. So to answer the question I prefer MT this year but Hill long term.
Saints could always just trade for eli.... :lol: