Worst. Offseason. Ever. (Now what?)

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Worst. Offseason. Ever. (Now what?)

Postby M-Dub » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:22 pm

In the three years I’ve spent on these boards, I feel like I’ve gradually transitioned from an advice-seeker to primarily an advice-giver. But after the offseason I’ve endured with the team in my sig, I’m genuinely at a loss.

This team finished 3rd in total points last year and wound up losing in the championship game. I felt like I was on track for a stretch of sustained success, but this offseason has really taken a toll on my chances of making a return trip to the title game.

Back in May, I traded Tyreek and the 2.06 for the 1.02 and a 2019 1st. Of course I took Guice at 1.02, and he was the first domino to fall. I still feel like it was a solid trade, as I expect Tyreek to regress this year and none of the other rookie RBs below Guice have been particularly impressive either, besides maybe Freeman and Kerryon. Still, I was kind of counting on him to at least partially replace some of the production I gave up trading Tyreek.

Foreman going on PUP to start the year actually kind of helps me, since I own Miller too, but losing McKinnon for the year was another harsh blow. After that news broke, I decided to move Guice from my IR to my taxi squad and promote Shaheen, and now, just hours later, the Bears announced that Shaheen will also start the season on IR.

To top it all off, Dez STILL hasn’t signed anywhere.

We only have two IR slots and two taxi slots. Our taxi rules are strict, so Mayfield and Guice are basically locked in there. McKinnon will occupy one IR slot and I can use the other on Foreman or Shaheen until they return. But between the one I can’t IR and Dez, I’m basically starting the season short-handed in an already shallow league.

I just acquired Burkhead as somewhat of a band-aid for the loss of McKinnon. I have three 1sts and two 2nds over the next two years. I’ve also managed to accumulate $1806 in FAAB (starting budget is $1000), so I basically have my pick of whichever breakout FA I want to outspend everyone else on.

I’m just not really sure which direction to go now. I think I have some really nice young guys with breakout potential, but I think it would take a perfect storm for me to make a return trip to the championship. I still have my own 1st, so if things go even further south, I could wind up getting a top 4-5 rookie pick for my suffering. Should I just stay the course and hope for the best, fully expecting to just chalk this up as a lost season? Maybe play it by ear and see what kind of start I get off to? Any obvious sells on this team? Nobody wants Dez. I don’t know. Any advice would be appreciated. TIA.
Both are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

🦬PRIME🦬
QB: Hurts, Howell
RB: Mixon, Jones, Sanders, Dobbins, Akers, Roschon, Dowdle, Kelley
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert
TE: Hockenson, Chig, Trautman
Taxi: Willis, Z. White, M. Mims, T. Palmer

Hull Awaits
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5
TE: Thomas $1/0, Hill $1/0, Parham $1/0

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Worst. Offseason. Ever. (Now what?)

Postby Bot101 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:33 pm

Im almost in the same boat. Except I only have 1 IR spot and no taxi. Lost Hunter Henry the day after trading away Njoku. So I traded for Delanie Walker, now hes hobbled by a mysterious toe injury. I also lost Guice 2 days after trading Barkley away.

It can be so frustrating because months (literally) of positioning yourself for future success can be wasted literally in a snap. Last season I had 12 players out, or on IR to finish the season. And to kick me while I was down a few leaguemates thought what I was doing was tanking for the 1.01

All you can do is suck it up and not soak your pillow in tears. Like I did after I lost Guice.

collbey
All Pro
All Pro

Postby collbey » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:13 pm

You have some nice pieces to build around and with the team in your sig, don't like your chances this year (even if McKinnon wasn't injured). Would see about moving Brees, Gronk and Miller.

srlarson
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby srlarson » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:06 pm

Cut Dez, cut Saheen...play the waiver....if you want to wait until after week 1 on Dez and see if he signs....but see him as zero FFL value this year.......
Empire 10 team 30man rosters QB, 2rb, 3Wr, TE, 2F, K (.5ppr RB's, ppr WR/TE)
redraft coming

Empire 12 team SF 30man rosters - QB, 2rb, 2wr, te, sf, Rb/Wr/Te flex, 2Rb/Wr Flex
(rb .5ppr, wr 1ppr, TE 1.5ppr) -
QB - Prescott, Cousins, M Jones, C. Rush
RB - JT, Chubb, J Cook, Hunt, Penny, Patterson, Foreman, Davis-Price, Henderson, Patterson
WR - Diggs, M Thomas, Gallup, K Phillips, Goodwin, Hollins, C Moore, raymond, reynolds, D robinson, J Watson
TE - Ertz, Brate, McBride, Akins, Gray

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:37 pm

it seems like that team minus hill was a bit lucky to reach the championship game last season in your format, congrats but it may have given you a false sense of long term hope. (however you do have 3 future 1's).

in general though....these thigs happen. try not to panic and remember that you still own your own 1st. you can set the tone with how you want to approach next draft. i dont think your very good this year, and would probably look to sell qb's and rb's. i like your wr core and next year is supposedly a strong wr class....if you were able to load up...id think it would make finding a single rb or 2 to start no problem in your ppr.

mike40
Role Player
Role Player

Postby mike40 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:48 pm

If I was.in your position I think I'd go into full blown rebuild mode. I did that a couple years ago and it has worked out awesome. Look into trading Brees, Miller, Sammy, crowell, Montgomery for next year's 1st round picks. If you control the majority of the first round you also control the pricetag on them. I'm also not a big believer in mixon so I'd look into trading him as well. If you don't make any trades and you start to lose games, hold tight and if any superstar or top end talent goes down with an injury pounce and try to capitalize on a panicked owner. Offer up a package of middling players for the stud. I landed DJ like that last year and was ohh so close to getting obj for scraps.
12 team ppr contract league. 25 man roster with 7 player taxi squad. 85 year contract limit
QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WR/TE/K/DEF

QB- Wilson (1) Tanehill (1) Jimmy G (3)
RB - Gibson (6) Mixon (2) Ekeler (1) J White (1)
WR -Tyreek(1), Ridley (3), K Allen (4), Fuller (2), Lazard (3)
TE - Ertz (4) Goedert(4), Irv Smith Jr(6)

PS - Jordan Love, Gabe Davis, Darnell Mooney

notweswelker
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby notweswelker » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:00 pm

M-Dub wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:22 pm I’m genuinely at a loss.
Don't sweat it man. Look at my team, in 2017 I finished in last place, and last season my starting Lineup week 1 was:

Tom Brady
Matt Stafford
Gurley
DJ
Ajayi
OBJ
AROB
Adams
Hunter Henry

Early on I lost DJ/AROB/OBJ for the year, Henry was stunted by Gates and Ajayi was f*cked by Miami.
As much as we try to compete, luck is still a large part of this game. I'd say over time Dynasty is about 65% talent and 35% luck.
There are a lot of things simply out of our hands, and as much as we like to be the smartest guys in the room, that's the plain reality.
If you think you have a shot this year go nuts, a mediocre team wins a championship all the time in my experience. If you're really effed, sell some assets and reset. Don't sweat it tho.

tom14cat14
Captain
Captain

Postby tom14cat14 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:15 pm

My advice is wait a few weeks. You should have a better understanding of where you team actually is once games have been played. Most of the time the best team doesn’t win the championship. You have to be in the playoffs and once you are, anything can happen.

If it looks like you will be in the playoff hunt then start considering moves to get better. If it looks like you won’t or it will be tight to sneak in. Then sell Brees Miller, crow and Gronk. If you end up a seller I would try to get a young RB out of it. Next year is supposed to be WR heavy so next years draft could help fill your WR. I would keep rivers until Baker proves himself or you get a younger proven QB.

vixen
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby vixen » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:46 pm

8 starters: 1 QB, 1-4 RB/WR/TE
first, what are starters? 1 QB 1RB 1WR 1TE 3Flex? but that is only 7

i assume your starters are (and i don't hate it)
Brees
Mixon, Miller, Burkhead
Keenan
Gronk, Ertz

tough break, but i still don't hate your team...i think your RBs will be fine....you have 2 really good TEs...perhaps you could trade either Gronk or Ertz to the Hunter Henry owner... i think you will have to drop shaheen and/or Dez..what are best available?
perhaps you can do a 2 for 1 trade to open a spot on your roster...try to get a better WR2 perhaps
team 1 -start QB RB 2WR TE 2RB/WR 1WR/TE
qbs=5pt tds wr/te=1 ppr rbs=.5ppr all get .25ppc
Watson, Brady, Mills
Ekeler, Hunt, Carson/Penny, DForeman, Mitchell, CPat, Kyren, Ford, KHarris
Cooper, sutton, Chase, Shepard, Atwell, Schwartz, Wan'Dale, Austin III
Gesicki, Engram, Hooper, Woods
team 2 -start QB 2RB 3WR TE 2Flex K D
Cousins, Stafford
DH JT, Ekeler, Kylin Hill, Herbert, KHarris, Chandler
Hopkins, Diggs, Adams, Godwin, McLaurin, Callaway, DPJ, Robby Anderson, Schwartz, Pierce, Wan'Dale, Doubs
Kelce, Andrews, Jacob Harris

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby M-Dub » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:08 am

vixen wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:46 pm 8 starters: 1 QB, 1-4 RB/WR/TE
first, what are starters? 1 QB 1RB 1WR 1TE 3Flex? but that is only 7

i assume your starters are (and i don't hate it)
Brees
Mixon, Miller, Burkhead
Keenan
Gronk, Ertz

tough break, but i still don't hate your team...i think your RBs will be fine....you have 2 really good TEs...perhaps you could trade either Gronk or Ertz to the Hunter Henry owner... i think you will have to drop shaheen and/or Dez..what are best available?
perhaps you can do a 2 for 1 trade to open a spot on your roster...try to get a better WR2 perhaps
I guess it’s technically four flex, but you can only start a max of four at any position, so you wind up having to start at least two guys at two of the three non-QB positions. We wanted to give owners as much flexibility as possible with their lineups, while still maintain some semblance of roster balance. For week 1, I’ll probably roll out something like this:

Brees
Mixon, Miller
Keenan, Funch
Gronk, Ertz
and then one of Crow, Burkhead, Sammy or Monty

The other thing to keep in mind is our minimum of four 1st/2nd-year players, which is kind of our dumbed-down version of a salary cap. All four have to be on your 17-player active roster, so guys on my taxi/IR don’t count. So if I dropped Shaheen, I’d have to replace him with another rookie or sophomore.

Appreciate everyone’s input so far. I’m probably just gonna see how the season starts off for me and then decide which direction to head. I feel like I still have a fair amount of flexibility to move in one direction or another. It sucks losing Guice and McKinnon, but even if they were healthy, it wouldn’t entirely surprise me if my two best RBs this year were still Mixon and Miller. It just really killed my depth at the position.
Both are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

🦬PRIME🦬
QB: Hurts, Howell
RB: Mixon, Jones, Sanders, Dobbins, Akers, Roschon, Dowdle, Kelley
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert
TE: Hockenson, Chig, Trautman
Taxi: Willis, Z. White, M. Mims, T. Palmer

Hull Awaits
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5
TE: Thomas $1/0, Hill $1/0, Parham $1/0