Startup done, What next?

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
Darvish11
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Startup done, What next?

Postby Darvish11 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:07 pm

After completing my first ever startup draft last week I have been feeling a little bit lost. I'm a perpetual tinkerer with fantasy rosters so I'm finding the lack of any activity to be bothersome & I have a few questions on the basics of how you guys do/value things. Perhaps putting into perspective my questions that almost all of the players in this league are first time dynasty players as well.

-How much do you value a high waiver spot in dynasty? I know it is quite valuable in redraft to pick up a handcuff once an inevitable rb injury hits someone in the league in the first couple of weeks. Thinking long term is it less valued in dynasty? Are you cycling the back end of your roster all that much to snatch a temporary roster filler like that?
For instance, someone for some reason dropped Hunter Henry, I feel like that would be a good use of my #2 waiver spot, but it's lingering if i should just try and scoop him up afterwards, although I would feel like i missed out if i don't get him just because i didn't want to burn my waiver..

-How much are next years 1st round picks really valued in a startup? Do you let things shake out for the first weeks of the season before trying to do any trades? I'm assuming everyone thinks the first year they are going to compete, so i'm not sure anyone wants picks yet, but I get the impression I might be able to get a K. Johnson or Chubb maybe Freeman for my 1st.
I assume that is worth doing on my end (with a seemingly weaker rb class coming up)? I didn't get any real great rb's in the startup, but went with a quantity approach for rb2/flex value plays in a ppr type of scoring.

-Any great spots to get a feel for what next years 1st round picks might be? Only stuff i'm really finding is in the forums here, but as a non College football fan it's hard for me to put it into perspective.

Here is my roster to help put any of these questions into perspective.
12 team .7ppr scoring, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, Flex, K, D
QB: Brady,Rivers, Trubisky
RB: Drake, Ajayi, Burkhead, Duke, Cohen, Kelley, Abdullah, Powell
WR: OBJ, Evans, Adams, Baldwin, Miller, Godwin, Callaway
TE: Njoku, Kittle

Of note, Callaway occupies an inactive rookie spot for the year. I am a little interested in dropping someone for perhaps Ito Smith for next season?
I think the moves I want to make are like drop Abdullah for Henry, trade a 1st for one of K. Johnson or Chubb if possible, drop something for Ito?
A bit of regret having 3qb's but wanted depth for an injury/ brady retirement if trubisky isn't good.
Also looking forward, i'd need to drop someone for a week 11 TE, but that's awhile out..
Any thoughts?