Penny owners, how worried should we be?

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
notweswelker
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Penny owners, how worried should we be?

Postby notweswelker » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:20 am

I think this has the makings of a committee. Probably going to suck for Penny & Carson owners.
That aside, if you haven't seen him already, I would look up what Chris Carson is looking like this summer.
Dude looks like a freaking GI-Joe He-man Hercules monster.

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:31 am

0LDMAN wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:20 am I think this has the makings of a committee. Probably going to suck for Penny & Carson owners.
That aside, if you haven't seen him already, I would look up what Chris Carson is looking like this summer.
You know, it's funny. After reading this you got me thinking. I follow the Seahawks and so I never had to make any extra effort to know how things are shaking out and what the players are doing.

But if you're not a fan of the team and don't have a ton of time to scout players I wonder how many people who are adamant that Penny is a lock to immediately take over the backfield have actually seen Carson? 7th round draft picks usually aren't that interesting. The guy only played a handful of games before being lost for the season, and then the team spends a 1st-rounder at his position.

I could see how it would be easy to assume the narrative that Carson isn't any good and Penny is the easy choice to be true. But this is good advice. If you haven't looked into Carson, you probably should take a look.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

1coldone
Starter
Starter

Postby 1coldone » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:26 pm

Thanks for the feed back!

Titans95
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Titans95 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:43 pm

STOP PANICKING!

guys come on....imagine the locker room environment Carroll would be creating by opening telling all his vets to not even bother competing because Penny is the guy and imagine how big a head a 21 year old ROOKIE would have if he walked in and thought he owned the room. This is classic coach speak to promote competition and make their 1st round pick work for it.

Until preseason games come along and Carson is just blowing Penny out of the water on every touch then there is absolutely no reason to panic in anyway. come on....

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:23 pm

Titans95 wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:43 pm STOP PANICKING!

guys come on....imagine the locker room environment Carroll would be creating by opening telling all his vets to not even bother competing because Penny is the guy and imagine how big a head a 21 year old ROOKIE would have if he walked in and thought he owned the room. This is classic coach speak to promote competition and make their 1st round pick work for it.

Until preseason games come along and Carson is just blowing Penny out of the water on every touch then there is absolutely no reason to panic in anyway. come on....
Yeah, were playing Dynasty. I have been through many off-seasons. Give me the pick rookie draft slot where I picked Penny right now and I'd do it again every time. This type of stuff happens every year. Penny is going to get his touches, I'm not worried at all. I think it's a good thing that Carson is showing well, honestly. I still feel Penny is way more talented, and it will make him bust his tail. Penny has been doing really well, and he's only going to get better.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:42 pm

If I was playing redraft Id be moving Penny down my board a decent amount. Long term/dynasty I wouldn't be concerned. I find it very slightly concerning that 2 separate beat writers and coaches have said Carson has looked better thus far. I wouldn't be panicking and selling Penny cheap though. I also wouldn't want to rely on him starting right away. Hold him on your bench. Maybe someone gets injured and a team comes calling Seattle and Carson gets traded. Maybe Penny takes a littlw longer to get adjusted to the NFL. Whether or not anyone believes Seattle reached doesnt matter. His value will stay insulated by the investment. I think Penny is talented enough and has the work ethic to eventually get the primary touches.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:30 pm

Bot101 wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:42 pm If I was playing redraft Id be moving Penny down my board a decent amount. Long term/dynasty I wouldn't be concerned. I find it very slightly concerning that 2 separate beat writers and coaches have said Carson has looked better thus far. I wouldn't be panicking and selling Penny cheap though. I also wouldn't want to rely on him starting right away. Hold him on your bench. Maybe someone gets injured and a team comes calling Seattle and Carson gets traded. Maybe Penny takes a littlw longer to get adjusted to the NFL. Whether or not anyone believes Seattle reached doesnt matter. His value will stay insulated by the investment. I think Penny is talented enough and has the work ethic to eventually get the primary touches.
Yep, completely agree, and John Clayton who I respect and is the local Seattle ESPN gut, has said Penny looks great, just that Carson looks better, but that they are both looking the part. I'd be more worried if Penny wasn't looking good than the fact Carson looks good. He's a workout warrior who added weight. He has never been an overly productive football player, when the games start, I expect Penny to show out better, even if it isn't right away. Like I said in other posts, DJ didn't become a bell cow week 1 of his rookie year. Penny is an instinctive football player, and that shows out in games more than practices, although he had one of the plays of the day in practice yesterday with that instinct, as he made a cutback on a play that was not working for a big gain. This IS a Dynasty web site, and for anyone to be moving Penny anywhere from where they had him a month or two ago is absurd, IMO.

PBFalcon
Starter
Starter

Postby PBFalcon » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:50 pm

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:31 am
0LDMAN wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:20 am I think this has the makings of a committee. Probably going to suck for Penny & Carson owners.
You know, it's funny. After reading this you got me thinking. I follow the Seahawks and so I never had to make any extra effort to know how things are shaking out and what the players are doing.

But if you're not a fan of the team and don't have a ton of time to scout players I wonder how many people who are adamant that Penny is a lock to immediately take over the backfield have actually seen Carson? 7th round draft picks usually aren't that interesting. The guy only played a handful of games before being lost for the season, and then the team spends a 1st-rounder at his position.

I could see how it would be easy to assume the narrative that Carson isn't any good and Penny is the easy choice to be true. But this is good advice. If you haven't looked into Carson, you probably should take a look.
For real. I have been reading almost every article that comes out and the pictures of Carson are sick. With his hood up he reminds me of Dr Doom.
He looks like he is going to bust out of his skin. The NFL has to be testing this guy.
10 team dynasty began 2016
Standard scoring (no PPR, all TDs 6pts)
Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 4 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex (RB/WR/TE), 1 K, 1 Def

2018 2nd
2019 2nd
2020 CHAMP
2021 2nd
2022 *co-champ...yuck

QB: P Mahomes
RB: J Taylor, T Etienne, D Swift, B Robinson Jr, J Mixon, J Gibbs, Z Charbonnet, R Johnson, J Wilson
WR: J Jefferson, J Chase, J Waddle, DK Metcalf, J Addison, T Dell, J Downs, M Williams, K Toney, , C Claypool
TE: K Pitts, G Kittle
K: Stream
Def: SF

2024 picks: 1 (early/mid), 1 ,2 3 (early/mid), 3, 4, 5, 6

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:27 pm

anichol8 wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:50 pm
Shoreline Steamers wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:31 am

For real. I have been reading almost every article that comes out and the pictures of Carson are sick. With his hood up he reminds me of Dr Doom.
He looks like he is going to bust out of his skin. The NFL has to be testing this guy.
LOL, yeah, no doubt. Carson is working hard, but you can't teach/work out some things, and Penny is the more cerebral RB. He has great vision, and biceps can't compete with that. Love the Dr. Doom reference, just spot on.

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:00 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:30 pm
Bot101 wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:42 pm If I was playing redraft Id be moving Penny down my board a decent amount. Long term/dynasty I wouldn't be concerned. I find it very slightly concerning that 2 separate beat writers and coaches have said Carson has looked better thus far. I wouldn't be panicking and selling Penny cheap though. I also wouldn't want to rely on him starting right away. Hold him on your bench. Maybe someone gets injured and a team comes calling Seattle and Carson gets traded. Maybe Penny takes a littlw longer to get adjusted to the NFL. Whether or not anyone believes Seattle reached doesnt matter. His value will stay insulated by the investment. I think Penny is talented enough and has the work ethic to eventually get the primary touches.
Yep, completely agree, and John Clayton who I respect and is the local Seattle ESPN gut, has said Penny looks great, just that Carson looks better, but that they are both looking the part. I'd be more worried if Penny wasn't looking good than the fact Carson looks good. He's a workout warrior who added weight. He has never been an overly productive football player, when the games start, I expect Penny to show out better, even if it isn't right away. Like I said in other posts, DJ didn't become a bell cow week 1 of his rookie year. Penny is an instinctive football player, and that shows out in games more than practices, although he had one of the plays of the day in practice yesterday with that instinct, as he made a cutback on a play that was not working for a big gain. This IS a Dynasty web site, and for anyone to be moving Penny anywhere from where they had him a month or two ago is absurd, IMO.
People are doing the same thing with Sutton. Fading him because he isnt likely to produce much this year. If you liked him pre draft than he shouldnt have moved down your board because you dont get to see your shiny new toy right away.

Oddball456
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Oddball456 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:11 am

As a Carson owner and someone not interested in Penny (our draft isn't for another couple of weeks), I am going to try to sell Carson to whomever drafts Penny as soon as Penny gets drafted. I will take their second, not sure about their third.

Smoking Guns
Starter
Starter

Postby Smoking Guns » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:26 pm

NFL teams aren't playing dynasty fantasy football- they expect first round picks to play and play a lot

The Showstopper
Role Player
Role Player

Postby The Showstopper » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:46 pm

Better fix the offensive line or neither one of them will be any good...Just like Seattle backs last year....

mullmania
MVP
MVP

Postby mullmania » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:49 pm

Bot101 wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:00 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:30 pm
People are doing the same thing with Sutton. Fading him because he isnt likely to produce much this year. If you liked him pre draft than he shouldnt have moved down your board because you dont get to see your shiny new toy right away.
To a certain degree. You 'fade' WRs like this because their value the day you draft them is likely the highest it will be for a couple of years.

Guys like Corey Davis for instance. A running back that gets work has a chance to out produce his ADP and become both a valueable producing asset for your team and potential trade piece.

A WR a couple of years away can easily turn into Josh Doctson, Treadwell, Coleman, ect

DLF_TylerK
Captain
Captain

Postby DLF_TylerK » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:04 pm

I’d be very worried and close to panicking for redraft/best ball. He’s on my absolutely don’t draft list in either of those formats. For dynasty, he’s going to be fine. I’d still love to have him on my team as the 1.03. He’s such a complete back. Guys like that don’t come around that often.
Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/TylerFFCreator
Check out my DLF Author Profile for all my articles: https://dynastyleaguefootball.com/author/karpj123/