Wilson v Watson

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
OCPunisher
Role Player
Role Player

Wilson v Watson

Postby OCPunisher » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:53 am

Hello friends,

What, if any, is the difference in value between Russell Wilson and DeShaun Watson? I just picked Wilson up this summer, and the Watson owner has a homer-crush on Wilson. Our league only starts 1QB, and my team is a contender this year after two straight appearances in the title game.
Team 1
10 team, PPR, 22-man rosters, 5 PS. 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 1PK 1DST
- QB: Herbert, Goff
- RB: Barkley, Jacobs, Achane, Akers, Dobbins, Gibson, Pacheco, Carter, Warren
- WR: AJB, Wilson, Olave, DJM, JSN, Pittman, Zay, Jameson, Godwin, Palmer
- TE: Andrews, Goedert, Freiermuth, Engram
2016 and 2018 champion! :dance: :biggrin: :clap:

Team 2
12 team, PPR, 40-man rosters, 1QB 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 3FLX
- QB: Herbert, Dalton, Minshew
- RB: Barkley, Swift, Herbert, JWilliams, Roschon, Zeke, KIngram, McFarland
- WR: Lamb, Waddle, DK, Aiyuk, MWilliams, Keenan, ARob, Woods
- TE: Andrews, Engram, Moreau, Trautman, Ruckert

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Re: Wilson v Watson

Postby moishetreats » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:35 am

Player A: Elite QB for five games.
Player B: Elite QB for five seasons.

Yeah, I see a big gap.
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:38 am

OCPunisher wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:53 am What, if any, is the difference in value between Russell Wilson and DeShaun Watson?
Even in a 1 QB league, the gap is huge. Early 1st round pick at a minimum. In a superflex, I need an elite piece if I'm making the downgrade to Watson.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:30 am

Although I'd love to get an early 1st round pick on top of Watson for Wilson, I doubt many people would pay that. I think asking for a mid/late 1st might get it done.

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:00 pm

Goddard wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:30 am Although I'd love to get an early 1st round pick on top of Watson for Wilson, I doubt many people would pay that. I think asking for a mid/late 1st might get it done.
x2
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:04 pm

Goddard wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:30 am Although I'd love to get an early 1st round pick on top of Watson for Wilson, I doubt many people would pay that. I think asking for a mid/late 1st might get it done.
You would actually accept a mid/late 1st with Watson? I certainly wouldn't. That would be like trading someone like OBJ for Marvin Jones and a 1st.

I just don't understand the mentality of owners willing to give up so much ground in production at QB but will hold so tight to it at positions like RB and WR. It's why the teams with the best QBs consistently make the playoffs and the ones who settle for options like Watson are more often on the outside looking in.

Life of Pablo
Starter
Starter

Postby Life of Pablo » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:12 pm

skip wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:04 pm
You would actually accept a mid/late 1st with Watson? I certainly wouldn't. That would be like trading someone like OBJ for Marvin Jones and a 1st.

I just don't understand the mentality of owners willing to give up so much ground in production at QB but will hold so tight to it at positions like RB and WR. It's why the teams with the best QBs consistently make the playoffs and the ones who settle for options like Watson are more often on the outside looking in.
I mean I agree with your point on how valuable (underrated?) the best QBs can be, but you're making a pretty strong assumption on Watson and I think that's affecting your difference in value here. I'm personally not even a fan of Watson, but many people obviously think he can be legit.
10-team standard, 18-man rosters (plus K/D + 1 IR + 2 TAXI)
1QB | 2RB | 2WR | 1TE | 1FLEX
2021: 8-6, 5th (AP: 76-50 / 60.3%, 3rd) ||| Runner-up
2022: 5-1, 2nd (AP: 47-7 / 87.0%, 1st)

QB: Hurts, Russ, Carr
RB: Chubb, Pierce, Swift, JRob, D'Ernest, Ford
WR: Diggs, Evans, GDavis, Nuk, Keenan, Hollywood, Mooney, CSamuel, Doubs
TE: Kelce, Dulcich, Fant
2023 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th
2024 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th

HughHoney
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby HughHoney » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:13 pm

I don’t think it’s simply undervaluing the QB position but rather very different opinions of Watson. Some of us think he is the real deal and it’s a swap of top 3 QBs. So it’s more like AB for MT and a first to some.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:17 pm

HughHoney wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:13 pm

I don’t think it’s simply undervaluing the QB position but rather very different opinions of Watson. Some of us think he is the real deal and it’s a swap of top 3 QBs. So it’s more like AB for MT and a first to some.
Yikes... My comparison is much, much closer based on a large body of evidence. I'm not going to pin my future on hope.

HughHoney
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby HughHoney » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:32 pm

skip wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:17 pm
HughHoney wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:13 pm

Yikes... My comparison is much, much closer based on a large body of evidence. I'm not going to pin my future on hope.
I get it if you’re not sold on Watson but using Marvin Jones as a comp is equally bad. He’s nowhere near the talent Watson is and has never been a distant #1 at his position for a stretch of games. Watson can’t possibly keep that pace up but I still think he will be elite. I admit I was higher on Watson coming out than most and he moved up for me with last year’s performance. Ironically the last QB I felt this way about was Wilson who I drafted in every single one of my rookie drafts and have never sold him in any league.

BigBawseRoss
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BigBawseRoss » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:41 pm

i compete year after year and QB is always the least of my priorities. one of my strongest teams ever was backed by ryan fitzmagic. last year i won a title flipping between dak and bortles. I think the exact opposite of you, not caring really who my qb is and not relying on a high end option to get my team to the finals. i will say though that unprepared teams can see qb blow up in their face. a guy contending for a title last year gambled all year with mccown and then lost him when he needed him most and was screwed without options available. so while i dont think a top qb is needed i do think 2 guys you at least feel decent about is required.

i would accept a mid late first with watson to send off wilson. heck just last year i moved from 1.06 to 1.04 by swapping wilson for rivers. it didnt hurt me in the slightest. id argue that the move helped my lineup drastically even. i ended up getting 2nd. (disclaimer that qb scoring is a bit strange in no penalty for int lol. wilson had 400 and rivers had 323. qb1 vs qb7, or 4 points per game)

also what goddard says is true, other owners value these guys way differently. i have seen watson go 1.01 in a SF startup. IMPOSSIBLE IS NOTHING
team 1
12 team, 1 pt for 4 rec, 0.1 per rush
1qb, 3 rb, 4 wr, te, k, 4 idp
Dak , Herbert
Achane, Breece Hall, KW3Kyren,Ford, Miller, Spiller, z evans, singletary
J Jefferson, Diggs, DK, D Smith Puka, C Watson, E Moore
Njoku , HH, Engram

2024 picks
1,3,4,5,5,6,7 (all late mostly)

team 2
12 team .5ppr
qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, te, flx,flx,
Fields, Dak
Ford,Mixon, Javonte, Mostert, Chubb, Spears
Hopkins, Evans, g Wilson Mingo, shaheed, Jamo
Kelce,McBride, Chig,

team 3
14 team sf, even scoring idp to offense (rb scores highly too)
Josh Allen, A Rich, Foles, Rudolph
Bijan, Charbs, Spears, Ebner
J Williams, G Wilson, C Watson, Flowers, J Addison, Tillman
Kincaid, Kolar, Ruckert, Fergeson

Kenny Clark, josh allen, jaelen phillips, felix a-u and a bunch of fluff and rookie fliers at idp

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:00 pm

I guess it depends on how you feel about Watson. I'm not sure if I'd accept it or not, but I do think that would be a fair trade. I honestly doubt any Watson owner would add an early 1st to get Wilson in a 1QB league. I also don't think comparing Watson to Marvin Jones is fair or the context of trading QBs in a 1QB league to WRs in any other setting.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:28 pm

Came back to this thread and realized that I need to retract my sentiments in this one. I completely misread the topic thinking we were talking about Winston, not Watson. A later 1st is reasonable.

Life of Pablo
Starter
Starter

Postby Life of Pablo » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:00 pm

skip wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:28 pm Came back to this thread and realized that I need to retract my sentiments in this one. I completely misread the topic thinking we were talking about Winston, not Watson. A later 1st is reasonable.
LOL well thanks for clarifying, you had a few of us pretty confused there
10-team standard, 18-man rosters (plus K/D + 1 IR + 2 TAXI)
1QB | 2RB | 2WR | 1TE | 1FLEX
2021: 8-6, 5th (AP: 76-50 / 60.3%, 3rd) ||| Runner-up
2022: 5-1, 2nd (AP: 47-7 / 87.0%, 1st)

QB: Hurts, Russ, Carr
RB: Chubb, Pierce, Swift, JRob, D'Ernest, Ford
WR: Diggs, Evans, GDavis, Nuk, Keenan, Hollywood, Mooney, CSamuel, Doubs
TE: Kelce, Dulcich, Fant
2023 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th
2024 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th

vixen
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby vixen » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:39 pm

i would accept Watson + 1st for Wilson....

i won a league super bowl with Hundley/Stanton as my starting QBs....it can be done (team 2 below)
team 1 -start QB RB 2WR TE 2RB/WR 1WR/TE
qbs=5pt tds wr/te=1 ppr rbs=.5ppr all get .25ppc
Watson, Brady, Mills
Ekeler, Hunt, Carson/Penny, DForeman, Mitchell, CPat, Kyren, Ford, KHarris
Cooper, sutton, Chase, Shepard, Atwell, Schwartz, Wan'Dale, Austin III
Gesicki, Engram, Hooper, Woods
team 2 -start QB 2RB 3WR TE 2Flex K D
Cousins, Stafford
DH JT, Ekeler, Kylin Hill, Herbert, KHarris, Chandler
Hopkins, Diggs, Adams, Godwin, McLaurin, Callaway, DPJ, Robby Anderson, Schwartz, Pierce, Wan'Dale, Doubs
Kelce, Andrews, Jacob Harris