Thompson vs Rex

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.

0.5 ppr Thompson vs Rex

Rex Burkhead
33%
Chris Thompson
67%

Total votes: 30

vlax525
Starter
Starter

Thompson vs Rex

Postby vlax525 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:02 pm

Have an offer to:

Give: Rex Burkhead
Get: Chris Thompson

0.5 ppr otherwise normal scoring. Which side would you like

HughHoney
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Thompson vs Rex

Postby HughHoney » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:51 pm

Thompson easily for me

fakespike13
Role Player
Role Player

Postby fakespike13 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:00 pm

Thompson was the best player on his team last year. Rex is a talented, versatile player who could slide into a lot scoring opportunities and has upside. I voted Thompson but it’s pretty close.
Auesome Ekcellent
2013, 2017, 2018 Champ
16 team PPR, 20 man rosters + 10 player taxi, QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 RB/WR, TE, D, K

QB: Wilson, Mayfield, Lance, Hill
RB: Kamara, Cook, Ekeler, CEH, Akers, Mattison, Ty Johnson, Funk, Nwangwu
WR: Tyreek, McLaurin, Diontae Johnson, Aiyuk, Golladay, Chark, Edwards, Shenault, Palmer, Dyami
TE: Kittle, Thomas

2022: 1,2,3,4,5

Irrational Integers
12 team SF
QB: Prescott, Watson, Minshew, D Jones, Newton
RB: Swift, J Williams, Akers, Cordarrelle, Mitchell
WR: Waddle, E Moore, Claypool, Patterson, R Moore, Bourne, Callaway, Treadwell
TE: Goedert, Shultz, Tonyan, Moreau, Parham

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:07 pm

Thompson has 3rd down duties carved out on that team. As long as he is healthy, there is not a RB on that team that will take that from him. I'm not sure where Burhead stands. The Michel pick really muddies up that backfield. For that reason, I take Thompson, as you know you at least a consistent 3rd down back.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:38 pm

I'd expect Guice to be a bigger threat to Thompson than Michel is to Burkhead. Washington is a team without any defining characteristics. Not sure what to expect from Thompson...
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

surgebird2
Role Player
Role Player

Postby surgebird2 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:53 pm

I think it's Thompson and that it's not close at all. Gruden has said they expect Guice to be their early down back while being unlikely to push Thompson for passing down work. Thompson has a clearly defined role as others have mentioned. Michel is a much better bet to take most/all the work in New England seeing as he was the best all around back in the draft after Barkley. New England wouldn't have spent a 1st round pick on him if they weren't going to give him a good amount of work eventually. I expect Burkhead to have a rather small workload, especially since James White does a lot of what he does too.
Team 1
12 Team PPR TEP Superflex, 30 Man Roster (No 2024 Picks)
Start: 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB/WR/TE Flex, 1 Superflex
QB: Herbert, Hurts, Purdy, Murray, O'Connell, Lock, Wentz, Mullens (IR)
RB: Taylor, Gibbs, Jav. Williams, Spears, R. Dowdle, K. Mitchell, Rivers (IR), Brooks (IR)
WR: Diggs, Aiyuk, D. Smith, M. Brown, Jam. Williams, D. Douglas, E. Moore, Mims, Toney, Tillman, Tucker
TE: Pitts, Ferguson, Njoku, Musgrave, Bellinger

Shcritters
MVP
MVP

Postby Shcritters » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:28 pm

Thompson by a bit.
Gopher Two
PPR SF, WR & TE Premium (WR 1.2 PPR , TE 1.5 PPR), 10 total starters, 1 QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Mahomes, Prescott, Mayfield
RB: Hall, Pacheco, Jacobs, Connor, Chubb, Mattison
WR: Tyreek, AJ Brown, Flowers, CSutton, JJeudy, Slayton, Iosivas
TE: McBride, DSchultz, Musgrave, Kraft, MGesicki
2024: 1.02, 2.02
2022 and 2023 League Champ

SafeLeague #1 (12 team, SF, 2.0 PPR TE Prem). 10 total starters 1 QB, 1SF (QB/TE/RB/WR), 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Purdy, Levis, DTR
RB: Pacheco + scrubs
WR: Downs, MMims, EMoore, Jeudy, MWilson + scrubs
TE: Hock, Kincaid, Pitts, Mayer + scrubs
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.11, 2.01, 2.02, 2.06,
2025: 2 1sts, 2 2nds

SafeLeague #2
QB: Purdy, Richardson, Hooker, Willis
RB: literal ZERO RB (for now)
WR: Mingo, MMims, Toney, Skyy, Iosivas
TE: LaPorta, Kincaid, McBride, Mayer, Musgrave, Schoonmaker (and a bunch more 2nd stringers)
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.06, 1.08, 1.09, 1.10, 2.01, 2.05, 2.06
2025: 1 1st, 1 2nd

Hottoddies
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Hottoddies » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:51 pm

skip wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:38 pm I'd expect Guice to be a bigger threat to Thompson than Michel is to Burkhead. Washington is a team without any defining characteristics. Not sure what to expect from Thompson...
I usually have the upmost respect for your views, Skip, but this time I think the opposite is true. Last year, without fail, Thompson was in the backfield in passing situations. It was as predictable as the sunrise and they have said it will be the case this year as well. Whereas New England's RB rotation has been the most impossible to predict. My vote is with Thompson.
"Smart people learn from everything and everyone, average people from their experiences, stupid people already have all the answers." - Socrates

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:05 am

Hmm.

Thompson will be 28 in October, has been fragile and injury prone since college, may not be ready for all of training-camp, and might struggle to get his conditioning where it needs to be in time for the regular-season's start. I also suspect Guice is more capable of stepping in for him on passing-downs than people appreciate.

Rex is a few months older than Chris, and has had his share of injuries throughout his career too, although he's never suffered the season-ending injuries Thompson has. Burkhead shined in OTAs, while new addition Michel reportedly struggled a bit. Unlike Thompson, Rex may still get goal-line carries, and the Patriots' schedule this year projects to be very favorable for RBs on the ground and through the air.

It's closer than I thought it'd be once I broke down the facts for myself, but I'm gonna pick Burkhead here. He's one of my favorite sleepers at RB this season.
Hottoddies wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:51 pm Last year, without fail, Thompson was in the backfield in passing situations. It was as predictable as the sunrise
Different depth-chart back then.

Defenses don't respect Thompson as a ball-carrier up the gut, and so they can 'cheat' a bit with their pre-snap prediction when Thompson is spied in the backfield.

But Perine and Kelley were/are hapless as pass-catchers, so Washington didn't have much choice last year. This is not the case with Guice, who can be serviceable as a pass-catcher. An RB capable of being both an any-type-of-carry threat and an adequate outlet receiver makes an offense more unpredictable, and obviously that's an advantage. Assuming he's competent knowing his assignments, Guice will probably stay on the field for more passing-downs this season than Perine and Kelley did last season.
Last edited by ninotoreS on Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Titans95
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Titans95 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:16 am

I probably lean burkhead. He's a on a 3 year guaranteed deal so the pats are going to use him.

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:06 am

Neither should be anything more than a RB3/4 on someone's roster. That's why I'd take my chances with Thompson and his higher upside.

BigBawseRoss
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BigBawseRoss » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:30 am

almost no interest in either playter but if i had to pick one i would choose thompson and hope he regains his passing game role that he had for about 6 games last season
team 1
12 team, 1 pt for 4 rec, 0.1 per rush
1qb, 3 rb, 4 wr, te, k, 4 idp
Dak , Herbert
Achane, Breece Hall, KW3Kyren,Ford, Miller, Spiller, z evans, singletary
J Jefferson, Diggs, DK, D Smith Puka, C Watson, E Moore
Njoku , HH, Engram

2024 picks
1,3,4,5,5,6,7 (all late mostly)

team 2
12 team .5ppr
qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, te, flx,flx,
Fields, Dak
Ford,Mixon, Javonte, Mostert, Chubb, Spears
Hopkins, Evans, g Wilson Mingo, shaheed, Jamo
Kelce,McBride, Chig,

team 3
14 team sf, even scoring idp to offense (rb scores highly too)
Josh Allen, A Rich, Foles, Rudolph
Bijan, Charbs, Spears, Ebner
J Williams, G Wilson, C Watson, Flowers, J Addison, Tillman
Kincaid, Kolar, Ruckert, Fergeson

Kenny Clark, josh allen, jaelen phillips, felix a-u and a bunch of fluff and rookie fliers at idp

pmart33
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby pmart33 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:45 am

I'd go Thompson in this one. More often than not trying to play roulette with the Patriot's backfield is very difficult thing to do in Fantasy. Considering they just drafted Sony in the first round and also have James White, Jeremy Hill and Gillislee hanging around I'd stay away from Burkhead and acquire Thompson if I could.
For Podcasts, Blogs and more please visit:
https://www.sundaysurefire.com/

Team 1
12 Team .5 PPR
Starters 1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 2Flex-WR/RB/TE

QB Hurts Love Cousins
RB CMC Stevenson Ekeler Mostert Spiller
WR Hill Puka Aiyuk Diggs
TE Kelce

Team 2
12 Team PPR SF TE Prem
Starters 1QB 1SF 2RB 2WR 1TE 3Flex-WR/RB/TE

QB Kyler A-Rich
RB Dobbins Hull
WR Flowers London C. Watson Mingo
TE McBride Musgrave Mayer Fant

1.01 1.03
4 2025 1sts
5 2026 1sts

Team 3
12 Team PPR SF
Starters 1QB 1SF 2RB 2WR 1TE 2Flex-WR/RB/TE

QB Burrow Purdy Howell
RB Taylor Hall Kyren Pollard Z. White Dowdle
WR Lamb Puka Deebo Dionte M. Williams Zay Jones
TE Njoku Fant Hill
2.01 2.08

Team 4
12 Team .5 PPR SF TE Prem 1 PPR
Starters 1QB 1SF 2RB 2WR 1TE 2Flex-WR/RB/TE

QB Purdy Cousins Watson Levis Fields
RB Bijan Gibbs Barkley Walker Kyren
WR Lamb Hill Kupp Dell Diontae E. Moore Mims Pierce
TE Hockenson Goedert

3 2025 1sts
4 2026 1sts

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:53 am

Thompson is vastly overvalued due to his crazy long TDs last year. It reminds me of Antone Smith in ATL a few years back when it seemed like every time he touched the ball for a few weeks he'd break a 90-yard TD. Thompson has struggled to stay healthy, and I think Guice will eat into his receiving workload at least a little bit. I'd prefer Burkhead as the likely goal-line RB in NE, though the value gap between the two RBs isn't huge. I'd say Burkhead = 2.06 and Thompson = 2.10.
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

topher
All Pro
All Pro

Postby topher » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:01 am

Neither should be relied upon as more than a bye week starter/ flex plays. Both teams added prolific backs, but I’d rather have Thompson and his clearly defined 3rd down passing role. Not too worried about it changing despite Guice. I feel Rex is hurt more by Michel