Is a separate startup draft for vets and rookies really a bad idea with Barkley?

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
bills2
Captain
Captain

Re: Is a separate startup draft for vets and rookies really a bad idea with Barkley?

Postby bills2 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:50 pm

mullmania wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:14 am What did people regret most about separate drafts? Any loaded unfair teams as a result?

I’m looking for any ammo to talk my commishes down from the separate drafts and into the combined draft.
https://www71.myfantasyleague.com/2018/ ... 62464&O=07

That is the link to the league where we did the start up draft with rookie picks included. Few newish dynasty people so a few teams might be a bit unbalanced, but for the most part I think it turned out to be pretty even across the board.

mullmania
MVP
MVP

Re: Is a separate startup draft for vets and rookies really a bad idea with Barkley?

Postby mullmania » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:56 pm

I think I may just make a mock team taking 12 team ADP and Barkley and see how it looks.

collbey
All Pro
All Pro

Postby collbey » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:56 pm

It is a bad idea any year to have the 2 drafts separate or not having rookie picks included in the startup draft. This year is simply more extreme as to how unfair it is.

playa_hata
All Pro
All Pro

Postby playa_hata » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:32 pm

jwint7910 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:55 am If you want to have separate drafts, draft pick positions in the regular draft.

1.01 Gurley
1.02 Beckham
1.03 Hopkins
1.04 rookie pick position 1
1.05 AB
Etc...
x2 this way is really fun and there for you would select rookie picks in place of a player and then use the rookie picks that you chose in the start up for the rookie draft if you chose to do so.
12 team PPR SuperFlex start 9 (Same for each team)

TM1
QB: Rodgers, Rivers, Dak, Dalton, Smith
RB: Zeke, CMC, Jacobs, Chubb, Gore, Dearnest
WR: Davante Adams, Tyreek, Fuller, Aj Brown, AB, MVS, Fulgham, Ward, Fitz, Beasley, amendola, zaccheus
TE: Ertz, Engram, Fells

TM2
QB: Rodgers, Baker, Stafford, Bridgewater
RB:Kamara, Chubb, Hunt, Singletary
WR:M Evans,D Adams,Kupp, AJ brown, lockett, sanders,miller, Patrick, Robinson, Hamilton, Lasley, D.Robinson, Trey Quinn, Scantling, agholor
TE: Kelce, Rudolph, Irv smith, gronk, Burton

mullmania
MVP
MVP

Postby mullmania » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:36 pm

^ I agree. I also think selecting the slots of rookie players, instead of the player himself, hedges the bet a little so that your chance of hitting on the rookie might be better if you push the rookie draft to say late August or something once more intel has been gathered.

mullmania
MVP
MVP

Postby mullmania » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:50 pm

Using just this ADP data and going for the selections given to me at 1.12-2.1, 3.12-4.1, 5.12-6.1, 7.12-8.1, 9.12-10.1

1.12 Fornette
2.1 Hunt
3.12 Baldwin
4.1 Ertz
5.12 Marvin Jones (Fitz got replaced sorry bud)
6.1 Tarik Cohen
7.12 Parker
8.1 Kenny Golladay
9.12 Mariota
10.1 Matt Ryan

Ryan, Mariota
Barkley, Fornette, Hunt, Tarik Cohen
Baldwin, Marvin Jones, Parker, Golladay
Ertz

That doesnt seem as totally lopsided as I thought but damn if you ended up with those 3 RBS (Barkley-Fornette-Hunt) and hit on some other positions watch out.

Titans95
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Titans95 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:56 pm

jwint7910 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:55 am If you want to have separate drafts, draft pick positions in the regular draft.

1.01 Gurley
1.02 Beckham
1.03 Hopkins
1.04 rookie pick position 1
1.05 AB
Etc...
This is the only way to do it if you want separate drafts, if not just include the rookies in the vet draft. Doing a reverse is never a good idea

kellysheroes
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby kellysheroes » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:12 pm

did this the yr ADP and Calvin came out and it worked well. Heres the draft, http://www98.myfantasyleague.com/2007/o ... 55418&O=17

Rookies start at round 16

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:50 pm

It's a terrible idea any year.

But if they are really set on doing it, volunteer to take one for the team and take the last pick in the vet draft :P
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

jeffster
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby jeffster » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:00 am

mullmania wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:14 am What did people regret most about separate drafts? Any loaded unfair teams as a result?

I’m looking for any ammo to talk my commishes down from the separate drafts and into the combined draft.
I actually disagree with combining the drafts into one. Especially with owners new to dynasty. It really isn't hard to wrap your head around drafting rookie pick positions in the startup, and crucially rookie drafts are how dynasty works. If they can't wrap their head around starting each season with a rookie draft, they should just stick with redraft I guess? Doing it this way forces new owners to start thinking in terms of rookie picks right from the start.

I find if you actually draft rookie players themselves in the startup draft, new owners completely fail to value them appropriately. They've probably never bothered to scout rookies before, because outside of the top few, most don't make an impact in redraft. It's easier to impress the abstract idea of rookie pick values on them, then a few weeks later hold the rookie draft after they've had time to separate the vets in their mind and start thinking only of the incoming rookies.

Plus, again, drafting is fun. Having two is twice the fun!

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:00 am

Definately unfair to do the reversal.

Ive never been a fan of drafting the picks. In a startup you should be able to draft exactly who you want. Its imposible to know who will be there if drafting rookie picks.

millworkguy
Captain
Captain

Postby millworkguy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:13 am

Again it could depend on the league. Salary cap leagues may need 2 drafts , as each draft spot has it's own salary and the rookie scale and vet scale could be off. For example our startup a few years back had pick 1.01 at 6800 while rookie pick 1.01 is 2000. Allowing owners to skip vet picks by taking a rookie pick (and therefore open up more cap space) would be an even bigger advantage and I needed all teams to spend , at least for the first year for the first round in contracts. If they wanted to give 1 yr deals to everyone and open cap space the following year that was fine, but in our case the 2 drafts where essential do to cap numbers
PPR IDP Contract Cap:
ConF (16 Team)
DAF (16 team)
DW2- Co-Commish (16 Team)

PPR IDP Salary Cap:
Hardcore - LAC (32 team)
T1 - Commish (12 team)
T2 - Commish (16 Team)

mullmania
MVP
MVP

Postby mullmania » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:39 pm

sloth8u wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:00 am Definately unfair to do the reversal.

Ive never been a fan of drafting the picks. In a startup you should be able to draft exactly who you want. Its imposible to know who will be there if drafting rookie picks.
Thats a decent point. If you are all set on Sony Michel or someone you can't just take the 1.3 and get him. It's still a dice roll.

I like the combined draft best.

Followed by including rookie picks next.

And somewhere down below the gunk you remove from the kitchen floor is this totally separate draft idea.

bills2
Captain
Captain

Postby bills2 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:14 pm

mullmania wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:39 pm
sloth8u wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:00 am Definately unfair to do the reversal.

Thats a decent point. If you are all set on Sony Michel or someone you can't just take the 1.3 and get him. It's still a dice roll.

I like the combined draft best.

Followed by including rookie picks next.

And somewhere down below the gunk you remove from the kitchen floor is this totally separate draft idea.
Only way I wouldn't include the rookies themselves is if the start up draft is before the NFL draft, just because your 1.03 or whatever could change drastically. If your start up is after the draft, makes way more sense to just include them.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:37 pm

I would not even play in a league that split the draft after the rookie draft.

Sounds like your league may be short lived. If your Commish can't see the logic of a single draft then the only word that comes to mind for him is IDIOT.

Causing this type of controversy is straight up stupid.

Good Luck!
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts