To buy an elite RB?

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.

Your RB move

It's enough to try going after DJ
11%
Try going after a different RB
22%
Address something other than RB
No votes
Stay put
67%

Total votes: 9

jeffster
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

To buy an elite RB?

Postby jeffster » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:08 am

12 team superflex PPR, start 1/2/3/1 with 2 flex and 1 superflex. Here's my current squad, omitting some guys who would only be desperation starts and/or stashes:

QB: Wilson, Goff, Tannehill
RB: Fournette, Drake, R. Freeman, KJ, CJA, Gore, Buck, Ekeler
WR: MT, Thielen, ARob, DT, DJax, Enunwa
TE: Rudolph, ASJ

I feel like my biggest weakness to winning it all is the lack of a top RB. Right now I'm facing filling my two normal flex spots with DT plus one of Freeman, KJ or CJA. I'm happy with DT as a flex, but I'm considering trying to upgrade one of those rookie RBs via trade. This is born out by early season projections that I've been looking over, where all my starters plus DT are either positional 1st or 2nd tier, but after Drake my RBs are all positional 3rd tier or worse.

My budget is: R. Freeman or KJ plus two 2019 1sts (one mine, so hopefully late, and one likely mid) and two 2019 2nds (again, one mid and one late). It's a lot of capital to ditch, especially in a superflex where those 1sts could end up being top QB prospects (2018 rookie QBs went 1.04, 8, 11 and 12), so I'm also considering just hoping one of my rookie RBs pans out.

So that's roughly a 2018 1st and two 2019 1sts, plus some. Who would you guys target? Or would you stay put? I was thinking of seeing if the DJ owner is itchy about his age and injury and new offense...

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Re: To buy an elite RB?

Postby MEuRaH » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:50 am

I'm a huge opponent of trading away multiple decent pieces for just 1 guy. You don't know how Freeman or KJ will pan out. What if one of them turns into a Kareem Hunt this season? Then you didn't need to trade after all and you'll be left feeling sick.

Because that's what I did last year. I traded away Keenan Allen & Kareem Hunt for Fournette before the season started. I was elated... until WEEK BLEEPING ONE! Then I realized that I never needed to make the trade in the first place. I had Fournette to go with DJ, Bell, and Zeke, so I felt unstoppable. But when injuries & suspensions started piling up... I didn't have the depth to cover them all, and I missed the playoffs.

I didn't follow my own rule, and it cost me. Don't do it. Wait to see how things start to pan out, and THEN start making offers if you need to. When teams start losing, the owners become less attached to their players, and the deals start getting better on your side.

Sit and wait is my advice.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

esloan35
All Pro
All Pro

Postby esloan35 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:10 am

Looks like you have a nice roster. Leave it alone and don't get sucked into the summer lag. Nice team!

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:18 am

I actually like the idea of packaging a bunch of unknowns for a stud. I'm not sure whether or not that'll be enough to get DJ, but it's definitely a strong offer and would probably depend on the makeup of the other team. If the DJ owner says no, send that same offer to the Zeke, Gurley, Bell, etc. owners and see if they bite. If not, I'd try to find another proven RB that will help you this year like Freeman or Gordon for a much cheaper price.