Penny-whats to high

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
jbarth90
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Penny-whats to high

Postby jbarth90 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:26 am

hockeyBjj wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:12 am
jbarth90 wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:51 am I have the 1.02 as well as 1.05 and 1.07 and I'm having a tough time figuring out who to pick.
Take Guice at 1.2. He's the safer pick and more consensous 1.2 and it sounds you have worries on Penny anyway. Penny could very well still be available at 1.5 for you. If not, then your preferences of Michel, Chubb, Jones there. 1.7, take any of the remaining top 6 RBs and if all are gone, go DJ Moore or maybe Royce Freeman if you want to triple up on RBs
That's almost exactly what I was thinking as well. I think with the position I'm in, I want to triple up on RB so that I limit the chance of a bust. Plus I'm in severe need of a top RB, so I am happy to be in this position. If they all hit, lucky me! I'll just trade one of them for a WR which I could really use too.
Washington Wolverines
16 team, PPR IDP league
1QB, 1-3RB ,3-5WR ,1-3TE ,1K
1-2DT, 2-3DE, 3-4LB, 2-3CB, 2-3S
QB: Rodgers, Brees
RB: Chubb, Sanders, Coleman, D.Freeman, Hines, Bolden
WR: Godwin, Allen, Green, G.Tate, Harry, D.Johnson, Hamilton, Reynolds, A.Tate, Erickson, D.Williams, Gordon
TE: Engram, Everett, Sprinkle
K: Slye
DT: Atkins
DE: Clark, Armstead, T.Murphy, Okafor, Charlton, J.Phillips
LB: Edmunds, R.Smith, Thompson, Jaylon Smith, Milano, Cashman, Walker
CB: (Stream)
S: Peppers, Clark, T.Wilson, Wingard
2020 Picks: 3.08, 4.14

esloan35
All Pro
All Pro

Postby esloan35 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:30 am

Seen him go over Guice at 1.02. Guice fell to me at 1.06 in a draft...

bigbuck22
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby bigbuck22 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:46 am

He went 2 and 3, both superflex, in my leagues. I thought it was high but his value seems to be rising.

sammyz
Role Player
Role Player

Postby sammyz » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:50 am

I think he might be the SLLIIIIIIGHTLY better bet to produce big this year over Guice, however I think Guice has a better chance at reaching true "stud" status at some point in his career. I don't need the production as much this season so I'm going with Guice at 1.02 but definitely wouldn't fault anyone for going Penny.
QBs: Dak Prescott, Teddy Bridgewater, Taysom Hill, Jameis Winston, Jalen Hurts, Andy Dalton
RBS: CMC, Miles Sanders, Gurley, JK Dobbins, AJ Dillon, Lamical Perine, Ito Smith
WRS: Godwin, DJ Moore, Juju, Keenan Allen, Diggs, McLaurin, Dionte Johnson, Jalen Reagor, Bryan Edwards, Brandon Aiyuk, Tim Patrick
TEs: Mark Andrews, TJ Hockenson, Irv Smith
DEF:Miami

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:54 am

I've taken him at 1.02. The only spot too high is 1.01. Not sure why Guice is "the safer pick" or the consensus 1.02, either. I like Guice, but nothing to me other than a pre-draft echo chamber "group think" mentality suggests this. Not saying Guice is a bad player or pick, but he's by no means better or safer by any quantifiable standard. If you have Penny ahead of Guice, take him. You'll be a lot happier than if it doesn't work out with a guy that others convinced you to take. I personally won't pick Guice at 1.02, I like him, but I feel it's too high. He was the 7th RB of the board, and I didn't have him at 1.02 pre-draft so obviously there is no reason for him to be my 1.02. Go with your guy. Penny is going between 1.02 and 1.05, if he's your 1.02, take him there.
Last edited by FantasyFreak on Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

DLF3000
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby DLF3000 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:57 am

As my RBs were trash and I failed to "win" the 1.01 somehow after last season...

I took Guice at 1.02, liking Penny, but not more than Guice at the time.

Then Rojo went 1.03, whom I had no interest in. I fully expected Penny to go 1.03, but since he didn't...

I traded back into the 1st and also took Penny at 1.04. Sweet! :thumbup:
35 Team Dyn PPR, 3 x Copy SF start 2TE Super Prem (TE 2 PPR, 8pt TD), 6 pt/non-TE TD, 1pt/20 yds pass (300 +3pt), 1pt/10 yds rush/rec (100 +3pt)

Start 12: 1QB 1SFLX 2RB 4WR 2TE 2FLX | 30 Active Roster, unlim Taxi, 3 IR/Out (+) | est. '21 | playoffs '21, '22

QB - J Allen, T Lawrence ...
RB - A Ekeler, S Barkley, J Cook, I Pacheco ...
WR - AJ Brown, C Ridley, G Pickens, C Sutton ...
TE - D Njoku, D Knox ...
® 2024 - | 2025 -

Alex116
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Alex116 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:05 am

jbarth90 wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:51 am I have the 1.02 as well as 1.05 and 1.07 and I'm having a tough time figuring out who to pick. The fear I've had with Penny is I hear he is a liability on pass protection. Does anyone else have this fear and if not, can you explain please? I'm leaning towards Guice, but really don't know what to do with those other two.
Bah, pass protection? When was the last time Russell Wilson experienced such a thing? He's used to not having any! Lol

I have Guice at 1.02 still. I have Penny/Michel/Chubb in the next 3 spots (in a different order every day!). :wall:

Cowboysfan33
Legend
Legend

Postby Cowboysfan33 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:26 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:54 am I've taken him at 1.02. The only spot too high is 1.01. Not sure why Guice is "the safer pick" or the consensus 1.02, either. I like Guice, but nothing to me other than a pre-draft echo chamber "group think" mentality suggests this. Not saying Guice is a bad player or pick, but he's by no means better or safer by any quantifiable standard. If you have Penny ahead of Guice, take him. You'll be a lot happier than if it doesn't work out with a guy that others convinced you to take. I personally won't pick Guice at 1.02, I like him, but I feel it's too high. He was the 7th RB of the board, and I didn't have him at 1.02 pre-draft so obviously there is no reason for him to be my 1.02. Go with your guy. Penny is going between 1.02 and 1.05, if he's your 1.02, take him there.
This for me. I agree with everything you said. Personally, I think all of the next 5-6 RBs after are Barkley a bit of a crapshoot this year anyway.

jbarth90
Role Player
Role Player

Postby jbarth90 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:35 am

Alex116 wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:05 am
jbarth90 wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:51 am I have the 1.02 as well as 1.05 and 1.07 and I'm having a tough time figuring out who to pick. The fear I've had with Penny is I hear he is a liability on pass protection. Does anyone else have this fear and if not, can you explain please? I'm leaning towards Guice, but really don't know what to do with those other two.
Bah, pass protection? When was the last time Russell Wilson experienced such a thing? He's used to not having any! Lol

I have Guice at 1.02 still. I have Penny/Michel/Chubb in the next 3 spots (in a different order every day!). :wall:
Yeah that's where I've been too. It's a blessing and a curse to have these three picks. Great chance and opportunity, but I could just as likely grab three busts instead of three studs....
Washington Wolverines
16 team, PPR IDP league
WR: Godwin, Allen, Green, G.Tate, Harry, D.Johnson, Hamilton, Reynolds, A.Tate, Erickson, D.Williams, Gordon

jbarth90
Role Player
Role Player

Postby jbarth90 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:37 am

Cowboysfan33 wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:26 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:54 am I've taken him at 1.02. The only spot too high is 1.01. Not sure why Guice is "the safer pick" or the consensus 1.02, either. I like Guice, but nothing to me other than a pre-draft echo chamber "group think" mentality suggests this. Not saying Guice is a bad player or pick, but he's by no means better or safer by any quantifiable standard. If you have Penny ahead of Guice, take him. You'll be a lot happier than if it doesn't work out with a guy that others convinced you to take. I personally won't pick Guice at 1.02, I like him, but I feel it's too high. He was the 7th RB of the board, and I didn't have him at 1.02 pre-draft so obviously there is no reason for him to be my 1.02. Go with your guy. Penny is going between 1.02 and 1.05, if he's your 1.02, take him there.
This for me. I agree with everything you said. Personally, I think all of the next 5-6 RBs after are Barkley a bit of a crapshoot this year anyway.
I agree that it's a crapshoot, but having 3 picks gives me a better chance to hit and I'm not relying on making one selection and needing it to be the "perfect pick".
Washington Wolverines
16 team, PPR IDP league

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:52 am

Not crazy, but wouldn't be my pick. The gap between him and 3 or 4 other RBs is not that huge where I'm sure everyone has a different ranking between 1.02 and 1.5-1.06. Get your guy, if he blows up, you'll regret you didn't. If he doesn't, well then, that just sucks lol.

Snickers
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Snickers » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:17 am

Penny, Michel, Guice.

Armed_Rodgery
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Armed_Rodgery » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:49 am

I am pretty much in the same exact boat. I have 1.02, 1.04, 1.06. Right now I’m going Guice but my draft is not till after week 3 of preseason so all my rankings have a real shot of changing. I’m also planning to go 3 RB right now.
Team 1
12 T, .5 ppr
SL: 1 QB 2 RB 3 WR 1 TE 1 WR/TE 1 K 1 D
25 Roster:
QB: Rodgers Mayfield
RB: Mack Carson Conner McKissic AP Chubb Guice Freeman, Lindsay
WR: Diggs Cooks Cobb Hogan Sanu Higgins T. Smith Landry, Golliday
TE: Graham Cook Godard
K: Bryant Succop
D: MIN, NYG
2019 Picks:

Team 2
12 T 1 ppr
SL: 1 QB 2 RB 2 WR 1 TE 1 RB/WR/TE 1 K 1 D
22 Roster:
QB: Rodgers Cousins
RB: Bell Zek Ajaya Mack Conner
WR: Funchess Parker Crowder R. Matthews T. Smith Miller Sutton Callaway Washington
TE: Gronk Henry Olsen Davis Seals-Jones
K: Succop
D: NE BAL

Team 3
12 SF 1 ppr (1.5 TE) .25 ppc
SL: 1 QB 2 RB 3 WR 1 TE 1 SF 3 RB/WR/TE
28 Roster:
QB: Keenum Mayfield Jackson Hill Haskins
RB: Guice CJ Jacobs Bernard B.Anderson Armstead Love D.Williams Blue Scott Ridley
WR: Beasley Ridley Miller Williams (OAK) Williams (LAC) Cole Dortch Harry Kupp Quinn MVS Watson
TE: TJ Fant Smith jr Moreau Knox Wilson Dickson
2019 Picks: 6-1st 1-2nd 3-3rd 1-4th

ddaps
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby ddaps » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:42 am

1.02 is absolutely fine for Penny as others have mentioned. Most post-draft rankings I've seen have him anywhere from 1.02-1.05 so if he's your guy go ahead and get him there.
Intoodeep wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:54 am I took him at 1.5, however I would have likely taken him at 1.2 and definitely 1.3, so no I don't think you are crazy.

I believe Penny has the highest ceiling of anyone not named Barkley, however he also has the lowest floor based on what I have read in regards to his work ethic / attitude and his ability to digest a playbook. Throw in that his immediate playing time should be handicapped (can it though with the 1st round investment?) based on his pass blocking prowess or lack there of, and you have the right mix for a rookie to get down on himself. Not a great formula for a kid who already has reported character issues and a rebuilding team with recently lost leadership.

I hope I made the right choice. Good luck!
Curious, do you have any sources regarding the poor work ethic and character concerns? This is the first I've heard anyone mention that, in fact most reports I see on him have said the exact opposite about Penny.
12 team PPR, 1QB/2WR/2RB/1TE/2Flex
QB: Newton, Allen
RB: Conner, A. Jones, Penny, A.P, J. Samuels, J. Williams, Edwards
WR: Evans, Thielen, Godwin, Coutee, Samuel, M. Lee, D. Parker, AB
TE: Kittle, Everett, Gronk

austing
Role Player
Role Player

Postby austing » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:14 am

ddaps wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:42 am 1.02 is absolutely fine for Penny as others have mentioned. Most post-draft rankings I've seen have him anywhere from 1.02-1.05 so if he's your guy go ahead and get him there.
Intoodeep wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:54 am I took him at 1.5, however I would have likely taken him at 1.2 and definitely 1.3, so no I don't think you are crazy.

I believe Penny has the highest ceiling of anyone not named Barkley, however he also has the lowest floor based on what I have read in regards to his work ethic / attitude and his ability to digest a playbook. Throw in that his immediate playing time should be handicapped (can it though with the 1st round investment?) based on his pass blocking prowess or lack there of, and you have the right mix for a rookie to get down on himself. Not a great formula for a kid who already has reported character issues and a rebuilding team with recently lost leadership.

I hope I made the right choice. Good luck!
Curious, do you have any sources regarding the poor work ethic and character concerns? This is the first I've heard anyone mention that, in fact most reports I see on him have said the exact opposite about Penny.
Agreed, I was about to ask the same question. Any sources on this? Guice sure, but penny?
12 team/37 year contract cap ppr league/ Player (yrs left on team) --- Qb Rb Flex Flex Flex Flex (max 3 rbs, no req. TEs)

QB Josh Allen (1)

RB Nick Chubb (1) Miles Sanders (4) Chase Edmunds (1)

WR Kenny Golladay (2) Jerry Jeudy (4) Courtland Sutton (3) Allen Robinson (3) Marvin Jones (2) Nelson Agholor (1) Nkeal Harry (3)

K Josh Brown (1)

Dst Bears (1)

2021 1.04 Pick (waddle/pitts/williams)