Marlon Mack?

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
kmbryant09
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Marlon Mack?

Postby kmbryant09 » Sun May 27, 2018 6:25 pm

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=156835&p=1427316&hi ... lowney#top

Check out that link to another Mack thread, and check out my comment that linked his highlight video along with some play - by - play commentary.

Mack flashed some CRAZY talent last year. He definitely needs to work on some things and become more consistent, but he definitely has the upside to be a featured running back. I do think he'll split some of the workload with Hines, Wilkins, and Turin - but he's good enough to demand 220+ touches in that offense. That alone should return some RB 2 / 3 value. If Luck is healthy and the offense rebounds, there's some serious upside for Mack.
10-team/.5 PPR/5 Pts per Passing TD. Start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLEX (rb/wr/te)
QB: J. Hurts, K. Murray
RB: Bi. Robinson, D. Henry, D. Achane, , J. Cook, Z. Charbonnet, T. Chandler, R. Johnson, K. Mitchell, J.K. Dobbins, T. Allgeier, J. McLaughlin, S. Tucker, T. Bigsby
WR: G. Wilson, B. Aiyuk, J. Waddle, T. Higgins,, Z. Flowers, Di. Johnson, K. Toney, A. Iosivas
TE: K. Pitts, E. Engram, C. Okonkwo, G. Dulcich

The Showstopper
Role Player
Role Player

Postby The Showstopper » Sun May 27, 2018 7:59 pm

I know Mack hasn’t proven much yet but he is clearly the best back that they have right now, and I think the fact that they only spent 2 dart throws on RB’s late in the draft and didn’t sign any FA backs show that they have confidence in him...Or maybe I’m just biased because he’s on my team!!!

HughHoney
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby HughHoney » Sun May 27, 2018 9:33 pm

The Showstopper wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 7:59 pm I know Mack hasn’t proven much yet but he is clearly the best back that they have right now, and I think the fact that they only spent 2 dart throws on RB’s late in the draft and didn’t sign any FA backs show that they have confidence in him...Or maybe I’m just biased because he’s on my team!!!
Not clear at all, just opinion and speculation at this point. Nothing yet to prove that the dart throw that Mack was (later draft choice than Hines) is any more accurate than this year’s throws.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun May 27, 2018 9:44 pm

HughHoney wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 9:33 pm
The Showstopper wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 7:59 pm I know Mack hasn’t proven much yet but he is clearly the best back that they have right now, and I think the fact that they only spent 2 dart throws on RB’s late in the draft and didn’t sign any FA backs show that they have confidence in him...Or maybe I’m just biased because he’s on my team!!!
Not clear at all, just opinion and speculation at this point. Nothing yet to prove that the dart throw that Mack was (later draft choice than Hines) is any more accurate than this year’s throws.
I disagree. I'm the furthest thing from a truther, got him in 1 league on a drunk trade :lol: , but there is plenty of data to suggest Mack is better than Wilkins. Hines is a COP back, so the only threat to a lead role is Wilkins, and personally, the two are not really comparable as talents and prospects IMO. Wilkins is 24 in July, and is not an elite athlete by any stretch of the imagination. His one good year in college, he was 23, basically older and more physically mature than everyone else on the field. Marlon Mack put up similar numbers as a 19 year old freshman. Hines will never be a first and 2nd down back, I don't think there is much of an argument to suggest he is, so While I could see a Mack 1 and 2nd down, and Hines 3rd down scenario, Wilkins would be a huge surprise to come in as a 24 year old rookie with a less than stellar bio and somehow take the early down work.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

HughHoney
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby HughHoney » Sun May 27, 2018 10:00 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 9:44 pm
HughHoney wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 9:33 pm
I disagree. I'm the furthest thing from a truther, got him in 1 league on a drunk trade :lol: , but there is plenty of data to suggest Mack is better than Wilkins. Hines is a COP back, so the only threat to a lead role is Wilkins, and personally, the two are not really comparable as talents and prospects IMO. Wilkins is 24 in July, and is not an elite athlete by any stretch of the imagination. His one good year in college, he was 23, basically older and more physically mature than everyone else on the field. Marlon Mack put up similar numbers as a 19 year old freshman. Hines will never be a first and 2nd down back, I don't think there is much of an argument to suggest he is, so While I could see a Mack 1 and 2nd down, and Hines 3rd down scenario, Wilkins would be a huge surprise to come in as a 24 year old rookie with a less than stellar bio and somehow take the early down work.
I think Hines will surprise a lot of folks that think he is only a COP back. Despite his size he’s shown good ability to run inside with good yards after contact. He’s a good receiver, good in pass protection, and the most explosive back on the team. I don’t expect a big workload but do expect some early down carries. I think he compares favorably to Dion Lewis for a back his size and can see a Kamara or Chris Thompson like role. I say he leads the Indy backs in fantasy points this year.

Johnny Canuck
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Johnny Canuck » Mon May 28, 2018 8:47 am

HughHoney wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 10:00 pm I think Hines will surprise a lot of folks that think he is only a COP back. Despite his size he’s shown good ability to run inside with good yards after contact. He’s a good receiver, good in pass protection, and the most explosive back on the team. I don’t expect a big workload but do expect some early down carries. I think he compares favorably to Dion Lewis for a back his size and can see a Kamara or Chris Thompson like role. I say he leads the Indy backs in fantasy points this year.
^This.

Mack may get the most 1st/2nd down work, but the back to own for fantasy is Hines. And it’s really not that close to me.

Think of it like a Crowell and Duke Johnson situation from last yr. Crow got lots of carries & the Oline was competent, but the team was behind so often (and the browns lack of WR talent) forced Duke into the slot a ton. Hines is also a great pass catcher and played WR for most of his football career. In OTAs they’ve already been putting Hines all over the formation (but mostly in the slot or RB). Yes Mack is a decent pass catcher, but I have zero doubts that Hines is better in that aspect. Also, if you watch Hines tape, he rarely goes down on first contact, has solid balance, and runs pretty angry for a shorter guy.

Hines also has special athleticism for an RB. He’s an all american track stud that was pissed about his 40 time (said in interviews he’s been timed running a 4.31 - I tend to believe him because most track guys know their times like the back of their hand, and have access to electronic timing gear). And what athletic measurable correlates closest to RB success...40 time.

That indy defence isn’t anything special yet, and the entire division has gotten better since last season. They will be playing from behind quite a bit, which means a more pass heavy scheme.

Ppl talking about Mack having experience in indy makes me laugh. It doesnt matter. None of these guys are deadset studs. The coaching staff is new, they’re gonna use the guy they like best outta camp, how someone did last season has almost zero effect on their usage decision this season...because they weren’t coaching. It’s an open competition with a tiny edge to Mack at best. Esp considering Indy drafted Hines at pick #104 compared to Mack at #143 last season...doesn’t exactly scream total confidence to me.

IMO Hines is the only back with 3 down potential on the team, because I think its almost 100% he’ll be the 3rd down/passing downs back. Mack and co (Hines included) are all in competition for the first two down role.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Mon May 28, 2018 9:21 am

It should be noted that 25% of Marlon Macks rushing totals from his freshman year in College came from his very first game against the powerhouse known as Western Carolina.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/pl ... elog/2014/

It could also be noted that he may have benefited by having Quentin Flowers as a QB (a QB who rushed for 3600+ yards in his 3 years as starting QB).
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon May 28, 2018 9:58 am

I guess I'll have to agree to disagree about Nyheim Hines. He's fast, but that's it. Good hands, but I saw him get lit up so many times i college and the guys are bigger in the NFL. I think he will struggle between the tackles. Again, I'm not a fan of Mack per se, but I just don't see Hines stealing too many early touches. Mack is the back to own for me, OP.

kmbryant09
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby kmbryant09 » Mon May 28, 2018 11:37 am

Johnny Canuck wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 8:47 am
HughHoney wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 10:00 pm I think Hines will surprise a lot of folks that think he is only a COP back. Despite his size he’s shown good ability to run inside with good yards after contact. He’s a good receiver, good in pass protection, and the most explosive back on the team. I don’t expect a big workload but do expect some early down carries. I think he compares favorably to Dion Lewis for a back his size and can see a Kamara or Chris Thompson like role. I say he leads the Indy backs in fantasy points this year.
^This.

Mack may get the most 1st/2nd down work, but the back to own for fantasy is Hines. And it’s really not that close to me.

Think of it like a Crowell and Duke Johnson situation from last yr. Crow got lots of carries & the Oline was competent, but the team was behind so often (and the browns lack of WR talent) forced Duke into the slot a ton. Hines is also a great pass catcher and played WR for most of his football career. In OTAs they’ve already been putting Hines all over the formation (but mostly in the slot or RB). Yes Mack is a decent pass catcher, but I have zero doubts that Hines is better in that aspect. Also, if you watch Hines tape, he rarely goes down on first contact, has solid balance, and runs pretty angry for a shorter guy.

Hines also has special athleticism for an RB. He’s an all american track stud that was pissed about his 40 time (said in interviews he’s been timed running a 4.31 - I tend to believe him because most track guys know their times like the back of their hand, and have access to electronic timing gear). And what athletic measurable correlates closest to RB success...40 time.

That indy defence isn’t anything special yet, and the entire division has gotten better since last season. They will be playing from behind quite a bit, which means a more pass heavy scheme.

Ppl talking about Mack having experience in indy makes me laugh. It doesnt matter. None of these guys are deadset studs. The coaching staff is new, they’re gonna use the guy they like best outta camp, how someone did last season has almost zero effect on their usage decision this season...because they weren’t coaching. It’s an open competition with a tiny edge to Mack at best. Esp considering Indy drafted Hines at pick #104 compared to Mack at #143 last season...doesn’t exactly scream total confidence to me.

IMO Hines is the only back with 3 down potential on the team, because I think its almost 100% he’ll be the 3rd down/passing downs back. Mack and co (Hines included) are all in competition for the first two down role.
Except that Mack has already flashed more talent than Crowell has ever shown...

And that Duke is one of the better pass-catching backs in the league, while Hines has proven nothing...

And that Indy's offense should be more competent than Cleveland's has been, especially if Luck is healthy... Leading to more carries and goalline opportunities...

And even still, Crowell has finished as RB #14 and #30 the past two years - finishes that most Mack owners would take...
10-team/.5 PPR/5 Pts per Passing TD. Start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLEX (rb/wr/te)
QB: J. Hurts, K. Murray
RB: Bi. Robinson, D. Henry, D. Achane, , J. Cook, Z. Charbonnet, T. Chandler, R. Johnson, K. Mitchell, J.K. Dobbins, T. Allgeier, J. McLaughlin, S. Tucker, T. Bigsby
WR: G. Wilson, B. Aiyuk, J. Waddle, T. Higgins,, Z. Flowers, Di. Johnson, K. Toney, A. Iosivas
TE: K. Pitts, E. Engram, C. Okonkwo, G. Dulcich

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Mon May 28, 2018 11:42 am

200+ touches pretty safely this season
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

HughHoney
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby HughHoney » Mon May 28, 2018 12:19 pm

I guess the flashes from Mack were too quick, few, and far between for some of us to see. Will at least be interesting to see how this plays out.

esloan35
All Pro
All Pro

Postby esloan35 » Mon May 28, 2018 12:24 pm

Anyone have issues with the May labrum surgery. Those can be tough on a football player..I think Luck had something similar?

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Mon May 28, 2018 1:00 pm

HughHoney wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 12:19 pm I guess the flashes from Mack were too quick, few, and far between for some of us to see. Will at least be interesting to see how this plays out.
I noted in another thread not that long ago the stark contrast in opinion with players such as Mack versus that of Foreman. Both made big plays. Both had a number of disappointing runs. Mack showed more in the receiving game. It would seem that the general consensus should be similar with both players.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Titans95
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Titans95 » Mon May 28, 2018 1:13 pm

skip wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 1:00 pm
HughHoney wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 12:19 pm I guess the flashes from Mack were too quick, few, and far between for some of us to see. Will at least be interesting to see how this plays out.
I noted in another thread not that long ago the stark contrast in opinion with players such as Mack versus that of Foreman. Both made big plays. Both had a number of disappointing runs. Mack showed more in the receiving game. It would seem that the general consensus should be similar with both players.
The general consensus for both shouldn't be any higher than a mid/early 2nd. People saying Foreman or Mack should be worth a late first are crazy.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon May 28, 2018 1:54 pm

Titans95 wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 1:13 pm
skip wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 1:00 pm
The general consensus for both shouldn't be any higher than a mid/early 2nd. People saying Foreman or Mack should be worth a late first are crazy.
Out of curiosity, why should the RB's/WR's in this years class be worth more than either of them (minus the obvious achilles issue with Foreman). Crazy is a bit of a strong statement. I saw a league mate trade 1.10 and a third for Mack, and I don't think it's crazy. Maybe a bit of an overpay, but in situations like this, why on earth would the Mack owner move him for the 2.03? He's 22, flashed as a rookie and is the odds on favourite to lead his team in touches. So, somebody needs to give the guy a reason to move Mack, therefore people need to end up paying a late first if they want him. This is common. Making what is perceived a lateral move at best gives the Mack owner no incentive to move him, and thus people need to give up a little more to get him.