Done with three rounds of my first-ever dynasty startup (96 team pro/rel league). How is my team looking so far?

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.

Grade my team through three rounds.

A
17%
B
67%
C
No votes
D
No votes
F
17%

Total votes: 6

Jaysof
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Done with three rounds of my first-ever dynasty startup (96 team pro/rel league). How is my team looking so far?

Postby Jaysof » Fri May 25, 2018 8:16 pm

I decided to join my first dynasty league this season and we just finished round three of the startup draft. It is a 96 team promotion/relegation league with eight player copies. It's also superflex with the following lineups:

QB/RB/WR/TE/FLEX/FLEX/FLEX/FLEX/FLEX/SUPERFLEX

Scoring is a bit unorthodox as well:

• PPR (1.5 PPR for TEs)

• 0.5 points per first down for RBs, 1.0 PP1D for WR, 1.5 PP1D for TEs

• QBs get 0.5 points per completion, -0.5 points per incompletion, 1 point per 20 passing yards, 6 points per TD, -4 per interception, 0.2 points per first down

• 1 point for every ten kick and punt return yards

In round one, I chose Aaron Rodgers at pick 1.18 (equivalent of third overall). My logic is that Rodgers has 4-6 years left as the top fantasy quarterback in the league and, given that it is superflex with scoring tilted further towards QBs, I chose who I think is the best quarterback in fantasy football today. It was the first copy of Rodgers, but all copies of Rodgers were off the board by 1.48.

In the second round, I traded up to grab Keenan Allen at 2.59 (equivalent of 19 overall). I think Allen's injuries are mostly fluky and he is possibly the player most boosted by PPR and points per first down. Allen is only 26 and finished as the WR3 in this format last year behind only Brown and Nuk with a stat line of 100/1,400/6.

I traded up again to grab Davante Adams in the second (equivalent of 21 overall). I'm worried about the concussions, but his upside as Rodgers' #1 is too much to ignore for me and he's only 25. I'll have that sweet Rodgers/Adams stack for hopefully the next few years and I'm feeling pretty confident in my wide receiver core at this point.

I traded up slightly again, giving up pick 4.37 and 12.63 for 3.81 (3.11 and 35th overall equivalent) and a 2019 2nd rounder to grab my second QB, Andrew Luck. Luck obviously is a risk, but this is a guy who was about even with Rodgers in ADP last year and averages 273 yards and 1.8 TDs/game on his career. The shoulder is worrying, but I think he comes back, and then it's just a question of if he's the same player. It's a risk, but it has the potential to pay off big time. I'm interested to hear your guys' thoughts on this pick. The other QBs off the board at the time were Rodgers, Wilson, Watson, Wentz, Garoppolo, Cam, Stafford, and Goff, 7 Cousins copies, and 4 Mahomes copies, so Luck was in the QB9-11 range off the board overall. Is this good value? The only other guy I was really considering was Cousins, but Luck's upside was too much for me to ignore here.

Other picks I have: 6.18, 6.24, 6.38, 6.45, 7.52, 7.63, 7.73, 9.37, 9.53, 10.02, etc.

My strategy going into the startup was to accumulate mid-round picks since the league's starting requirements are so deep. I have slightly changed my philosophy now and do not want to delve further into my current strategy as I know people in my league look at this forum. I'll update this post and bump it every time I update it with explanations of why I did what I did.
Last edited by Jaysof on Fri May 25, 2018 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1R Dynasty - QB/RB/WR/TE/SUPERFLEX/FLEX/FLEX/FLEX/FLEX/FLEX (startup in progress):

QB: Aaron Rodgers, Andrew Luck, Drew Brees, Baker Mayfield
RB: Rashaad Penny, Nyheim Hines
WR: Keenan Allen, Julio Jones, Jarvis Landry, Jamison Crowder, Tyler Lockett, Randall Cobb, Chris Hogan, Anthony Miller
TE: Travis Kelce, Mike Gesicki, Jack Doyle

Picks: 13.05, 13.06, 13.09, 14.03, 16.03, etc.

QB scoring: 1 point/20 yards, 0.5 per completion, -0.5 per incompletion, 6/-4 TD/INT, 0.2 per first down
RB: 0.5 points per first down, PPR
WR: 1 point per first down, PPR
TE: 1.5 PPR, 1.5 points per first down
0.1 points per return yard

vixen
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Done with three rounds of my first-ever dynasty startup (96 team pro/rel league). How is my team looking so far?

Postby vixen » Fri May 25, 2018 9:18 pm

I like it so far...i also drafted Luck in a recent startup (only 1QB league though)..i took him over Stafford and backed him up with Carr later...
i think that Indy would have traded Luck during the draft if they were worried about him (assuming that the rumors were true)

not sure how trading up 2x afforded ou with 4 6th round picks, and 3 7th round picks, but well done..

good luck, keep us posted..
team 1 -start QB RB 2WR TE 2RB/WR 1WR/TE
qbs=5pt tds wr/te=1 ppr rbs=.5ppr all get .25ppc
Watson, Brady, Mills
Ekeler, Hunt, Carson/Penny, DForeman, Mitchell, CPat, Kyren, Ford, KHarris
Cooper, sutton, Chase, Shepard, Atwell, Schwartz, Wan'Dale, Austin III
Gesicki, Engram, Hooper, Woods
team 2 -start QB 2RB 3WR TE 2Flex K D
Cousins, Stafford
DH JT, Ekeler, Kylin Hill, Herbert, KHarris, Chandler
Hopkins, Diggs, Adams, Godwin, McLaurin, Callaway, DPJ, Robby Anderson, Schwartz, Pierce, Wan'Dale, Doubs
Kelce, Andrews, Jacob Harris

Jaysof
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: Done with three rounds of my first-ever dynasty startup (96 team pro/rel league). How is my team looking so far?

Postby Jaysof » Fri May 25, 2018 9:21 pm

vixen wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 9:18 pm I like it so far...i also drafted Luck in a recent startup (only 1QB league though)..i took him over Stafford and backed him up with Carr later...
i think that Indy would have traded Luck during the draft if they were worried about him (assuming that the rumors were true)

not sure how trading up 2x afforded ou with 4 6th round picks, and 3 7th round picks, but well done..

good luck, keep us posted..
I got the 6s and 7s before the draft, then used some picks in the teens to trade up (they were very small moves, just moved up a few picks to nab the last copy of Allen and Adams). With Luck though, wouldn't he have failed a physical in his current state had the Colts actually tried to trade him? Not sure I buy into that logic, I do believe that they rushed him back too quickly last year and now are actually following all the steps.
1R Dynasty - QB/RB/WR/TE/SUPERFLEX/FLEX/FLEX/FLEX/FLEX/FLEX (startup in progress):

WR: Keenan Allen, Julio Jones, Jarvis Landry, Jamison Crowder, Tyler Lockett, Randall Cobb, Chris Hogan, Anthony Miller

QB scoring: 1 point/20 yards, 0.5 per completion, -0.5 per incompletion, 6/-4 TD/INT, 0.2 per first down

Rosenbluu
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Rosenbluu » Fri May 25, 2018 10:01 pm

I like it, id keep building around WRs and grab a TE pretty soon depending who is there
12 Team PPR
QB/2RB/3WR/TE/Flex
QB: Mahomes/Jones
RB: Mixon/Chubb/Mostert/Burkhead/McKinnon
WR: Wilson/JuJu/Marquise/Mooney/Campbell/Dotson/Osborn/Julio/Tolbert/Shakir/Metchie
TE: Andrews/Hurst

playa_hata
All Pro
All Pro

Postby playa_hata » Sat May 26, 2018 1:42 am

Love youre first three picks although I wouldnt pick rodgers as high as you did zeke would have been my choice or hopkins. I love youre keenan and adams picks. Andrew luck i would not touch so thats why I gave you a B so far and not an A i would have much preferred a stafford or jimmy g or cam newton.
12 team PPR SuperFlex start 9 (Same for each team)

TM1
QB: Rodgers, Rivers, Dak, Dalton, Smith
RB: Zeke, CMC, Jacobs, Chubb, Gore, Dearnest
WR: Davante Adams, Tyreek, Fuller, Aj Brown, AB, MVS, Fulgham, Ward, Fitz, Beasley, amendola, zaccheus
TE: Ertz, Engram, Fells

TM2
QB: Rodgers, Baker, Stafford, Bridgewater
RB:Kamara, Chubb, Hunt, Singletary
WR:M Evans,D Adams,Kupp, AJ brown, lockett, sanders,miller, Patrick, Robinson, Hamilton, Lasley, D.Robinson, Trey Quinn, Scantling, agholor
TE: Kelce, Rudolph, Irv smith, gronk, Burton

Jaysof
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Jaysof » Sat May 26, 2018 7:35 am

playa_hata wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 1:42 am Love youre first three picks although I wouldnt pick rodgers as high as you did zeke would have been my choice or hopkins. I love youre keenan and adams picks. Andrew luck i would not touch so thats why I gave you a B so far and not an A i would have much preferred a stafford or jimmy g or cam newton.
None of them were available.

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Sat May 26, 2018 7:39 am

I like it. The hardest position to find these days is WR and you're finding it. If Luck returns, you'll be sitting pretty my friend.

If you can land one of these new QBs (Rosen, Darnold, etc) I think you'll be set for a long time.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134