***Strategy*** Vets vs youth offseason edition

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
dipANDglide
All Pro
All Pro

***Strategy*** Vets vs youth offseason edition

Postby dipANDglide » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:55 pm

How do you guys go about things in the offseason? We all know that vets/proven production is a lot cheaper this time of year and new shiny toys/youth are king. Are you buying low on vets? Targeting players in the draft and trading out or back if they're gone? Buy low, sell high. Duh?!?! Picks offer lots of flexibility but are risky long-term, just wondering how you all go about it and trying to get some discussion going.

I like to buy low on rookies and 2nd-year types that are perceived busts or devalued. The Perine thread is a great example. He's a polarizing guy that a lot of people are selling low on. Why not take a gamble and buy for a late 2nd/3rd? I like to buy guys like him, Davis (he's a lot cheaper than this time last year), maybe an O.J. Howard type, Samuel, etc. Then I like to mix in some buy lows on guys like Julio, DT, vets that have more juice left and get devalued due to age. I find that sometimes owners are thrilled to move on from guys like Julio. Of course, I only buy these guys on teams that I'm contending and don't mortgage my future buying them. I've bought Julio in a few places for guys like Cooks, package deals like Agholor/Wentz/Gordon, etc.

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: ***Strategy*** Vets vs youth offseason edition

Postby M-Dub » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:58 pm

Not to nitpick, because I generally agree with your overall strategy, but I don’t really agree that Davis is “a lot cheaper” than last year. If you’re valuing him in 2018 picks, then sure, I don’t think anyone would trade the 1.01 for him straight up or even the 1.02, but I think this year’s class is just flat-out better, at least at the top. Last year there were three main guys (Davis, Lenny and Mixon) who comprised “tier 1,” with a few folks willing to throw McCaffrey in there as well. This year, tier 1 is just Saquon and he’s worth more than any of those four guys by a decent margin. I still think most people value Davis as an elite WR prospect. Certainly the best in the past three draft classes (2016-2018). Most owners have a premium pick invested in him, so I don’t see too many people cutting bait for pennies on the dollar.
Both are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

🦬PRIME🦬
QB: Hurts, Howell
RB: Mixon, Jones, Sanders, Dobbins, Akers, Roschon, Dowdle, Kelley
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert
TE: Hockenson, Chig, Trautman
Taxi: Willis, Z. White, M. Mims, T. Palmer

Hull Awaits
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5
TE: Thomas $1/0, Hill $1/0, Parham $1/0

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: ***Strategy*** Vets vs youth offseason edition

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:51 pm

M-Dub wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:58 pm Not to nitpick, because I generally agree with your overall strategy, but I don’t really agree that Davis is “a lot cheaper” than last year. If you’re valuing him in 2018 picks, then sure, I don’t think anyone would trade the 1.01 for him straight up or even the 1.02, but I think this year’s class is just flat-out better, at least at the top. Last year there were three main guys (Davis, Lenny and Mixon) who comprised “tier 1,” with a few folks willing to throw McCaffrey in there as well. This year, tier 1 is just Saquon and he’s worth more than any of those four guys by a decent margin. I still think most people value Davis as an elite WR prospect. Certainly the best in the past three draft classes (2016-2018). Most owners have a premium pick invested in him, so I don’t see too many people cutting bait for pennies on the dollar.
As a prospect coming out, or best player from that 3 year span? Michael Thomas obviously is the better player right now.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick