Corey Davis Shade

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
Johnny Canuck
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Corey Davis Shade

Postby Johnny Canuck » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:41 am

btv802 wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:32 pm
BigBawseRoss wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:15 pm what? amazing is very strong.
I'm a Davis guy but I agree with this. If you zoom out on his rookie season it was actually really bad. He flashed some super impressive individual plays (diving catches, high pointed catches, toe tap sideline catches, one handed catches, strong efforts to break tackles and gain YAC) but overall was super inefficient and didn't put together any wildly impressive and complete games that I can recall.

What I do like is that he had some of his best performances towards the end of the year. Weeky 16 he had 9 for 6 and 97 yards vs LA Rams. In the playoffs he had 8 for 5 and 63 yards with those two FILTHY TD catches vs the Pats.

If you ignore those two performances you are missing out on why Davis fans are still optimistic. With a full offseason of working out together I think Mariota and Davis are going to show improved chemistry and have more of these types of weeks in 2018. But as a whole, the rookie year was definitely not amazing by any definition.
^agree with this completely. Yes he showed flashes of upside with the odd great play, but for the most part it was ugly. I watched all his games, and he wasn't this glowing prospect that most make him out to be. Anyone can make the odd great play, hell even Treadwell had an amazing one handed catch last year. Anyone can make a decent highlight reel.

I find it funny that so many posters get sooooooo defensive about Davis, clamoring for patience. From what I have seen, no one is writing him off, they are simply stating that he didn't live up to expectations in 2017, illustrating some shortcomings, and arguing that his trade value should somewhat correlate to his tape/production. It will always be a touch higher than it should due to his potential, but that's just how it is. I mean, even Michael Floyd had value for a while because "this might be the year" - you have to pay a premium for perceived potential.

Obviously patience is the right path to take with this prospect, and he COULD still become a solid WR, but pretending that his rookie season didn't do anything to alter his trade value is flat wrong. I think that has to be the most annoying thing about Davis defenders...they want Davis to be worth top 6-12 WR prices, and are indignant when if ppl say it's too much. I get backing your players, but sometimes the rose colored glasses need to be taken off.

For argument's sake, let's look at some ceiling potential: take Demaryius Thomas and Roddy White for example. Most would be very excited if Davis can hit either of these two career numbers. Both were drafted in Round 1 (DT #21, RW #27). Both struggled to put up anything that would be considered great until their D+2 or D+3 season. If you went to trade for them after two/three years of relative poor production (fantasy wise), they would have been cheap cheap cheap, at least a ton cheaper than after their respective breakouts. If you need a more recent example, consider Nelson Agholor who could of been had on the waiver wire up until last season.

Now that's just one side of the spectrum, there are also countless other players that never hit that year 3/4 breakout. Far more players never breakout than do, hence the probability is much higher for a player to NOT breakout. Davis may become an outlier and blow up, but his trade value should be reciprocal to his risk, and the amount it increases as time passes...until this potential breakout...that might or might not ever happen lol.

*I've bolded phrases that the truthers will likely ignore so I don't have to respond to arguments I've already addressed.
**1000th post!

Chuck_The_Deuce
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: Corey Davis Shade

Postby Chuck_The_Deuce » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:44 am

Don't get me wrong, I like Davis a lot. However most of that comes from his college production. Why are we expecting everyone's rookie season to be Jerry Rice in his prime? He was injured, was on a bad offense and it was his first year in the league. Those three factors do not change his original evaluation based off his college performance. I would take his rookie year over Kevin White's 10 out of 10 times. Odell and Nuk have spoiled expectations. Those guys are anomalies. If we are playing dynasty we are zooming out and looking at the full picture.

If you got hired at McDonalds, should you be expected to become the manager on your first day?
14 team TE premium PPR 53 man rosters
QB: Dak, Mariota, Haskins, Flacco, Bridge
RB: Dalvin, Kerryon, Damian Williams, Hines, Burkhead, Latavius Murray, Andre Ellington
WR: JuJj, Cooper, DJ Moore, Christian Kirk, J Matt, Demarcus Robinson, Carroo
TE: Hunter, O.j., Demetrius Harris
K: Vinatieri
DL: Donald, Aikem, Golden, Graham, Lawson, Vernon
LB: Deion, Jaylon Smith, Hitchens, Avery Williamson, Fred Warner, Jatavis Brown, Bradham, Preston Brown, Josh Bynes, Tahir Whitehead, Shaq Thompson, Shaun Dion, Markus Golden, Josey Jewell, O'Daniel, Perryman, Onwuasor, Van Noy, Vince Williams
DB: Reshad Jones, Darby