Evans vs the 1.01?

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Evans vs the 1.01?

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:46 pm

pierson242 wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:10 am
Goddard wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:10 pm
GoodellsPaycheck wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:03 pm You guys sweat WRs way too much. The 1.01 hype is as high as it is because if you end up getting that next LT, AP, Arian, Zeke, Gurley, etc for their breakout/prime years you're absolutely in contention for the title year in and year out. It's so much easier hitting on a WR diamond in the rough than it is getting that next great RB. Evans YAC is pathetic too, not sure why he's ranked so high in the dynasty community. Feels like an echo chamber
When was the last time one of the top WRs actually turned into a stud? I think it's been easier lately finding good RBs than it has finding good WRs. Last year's top 3 WRs were Davis, Williams, and Ross. In 2016, it was Treadwell, Doctson, and Coleman. 2015 had Cooper, White, and Parker. The top RBs those years? Gurley, Gordon, Zeke, Henry, Fournette, Cook, CMC, and Mixon. Oh and this year, no one even mentions WRs with any of the top picks in rookie drafts and is supposed to be deep with RB talent.
This!!!!! The hype is crazy!
And this doesn't even take into account Hunt and Kamara who could be had later and excelled. I don't think the OP is really all that stacked at WR anyway, so I wouldn't be trading Evans for the 1.01. Not to mention that the WR's available in 2018 are overall pretty underwhelming to me.

I agree with Goddard and Pierson242
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

albedo1986
Role Player
Role Player

Postby albedo1986 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:03 pm

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:46 pm
pierson242 wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:10 am
Goddard wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:10 pm

When was the last time one of the top WRs actually turned into a stud? I think it's been easier lately finding good RBs than it has finding good WRs. Last year's top 3 WRs were Davis, Williams, and Ross. In 2016, it was Treadwell, Doctson, and Coleman. 2015 had Cooper, White, and Parker. The top RBs those years? Gurley, Gordon, Zeke, Henry, Fournette, Cook, CMC, and Mixon. Oh and this year, no one even mentions WRs with any of the top picks in rookie drafts and is supposed to be deep with RB talent.
This!!!!! The hype is crazy!
And this doesn't even take into account Hunt and Kamara who could be had later and excelled. I don't think the OP is really all that stacked at WR anyway, so I wouldn't be trading Evans for the 1.01. Not to mention that the WR's available in 2018 are overall pretty underwhelming to me.

I agree with Goddard and Pierson242
The team isn't updated but currently has OBJ, Arob, TY Hilton, B Cooks and Funchess/Lee. I'm doing just fine. Regardless it doesn't mean anything in the format as you can flex 8. I just like the longevity of the WR position, especially in a PPR. Although it's important to recognize that positional scarcity means nothing in this format.

I specifically framed the question in a way to ensure people didn't know where I'm coming from in the trade to avoid bias, I do this for most questions to get a vacuum approach. But if you must know I have the 1.01.

Overall interesting to hear these takes though. I do feel like it's highly likely that Barkley puts up more points this year and for the next couple so I'm leaning this way - although it's certainly hard to argue against the WR stance. I think this continually feels like a decision of whether or not we see Barkley truly becoming a Gurley/Bell/DJ talent at his age. There's definitely a lot of risk in this. In just 2016 we saw Gurley's scheme/team bring him down to RB 15, just under 200 PPR points...to almost doubling it in 2017 with 383 PPR points. The volatility is surreal at the position.

More of a philosophical question but does anyone think that what's going on here could be similar to what happened in 2015 after the 2014 WR superstar class is happening for RBs in 2018 after the RB superstar class in 2017? More importantly does the true elite talent level even matter if an NFL team dedicates itself to the position and scheming to elevate that player? (i.e. Gordon/Fournette arguments) If an NFL team decides to give an RB 20 carries and 5 targets on average a game, does the player really even have to be talented to be an RB1? (not going into ceiling vs floor but more generically) I see Barkley being drafted near the top of the 1st round - meaning just as much dedication to him as Fournette/Gurley/Zeke/Gordon, even CMC to getting him large amounts of touches. Just something I've been mulling over since I got this trade offer.

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:08 pm

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:46 pmI don't think the OP is really all that stacked at WR anyway, so I wouldn't be trading Evans for the 1.01.
Why does this matter in a league where you don't have to start any WRs?
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

Bad News Barrett
MVP
MVP

Postby Bad News Barrett » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:12 pm

Vcize wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:08 pm
Shoreline Steamers wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:46 pmI don't think the OP is really all that stacked at WR anyway, so I wouldn't be trading Evans for the 1.01.
No reading comprehension skills
Finally on Twitter @dynastybarrett

"I'm afraid I've got some bad news"

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:21 pm

This is a fair question.
Bad News Barrett wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:12 pm
No reading comprehension skills
This is being a smug jerk, and contributing absolutely nothing to the thread. Well done sir! :thumbup:

I did read the question, then looked at his lineup before posting. And while you don't HAVE to start any RB's or WR's it seems far more likely that you'd need to mix-and-match between the positions to field your best possible lineup. As opposed to starting eight players at a single position.

I also realize that the OP's signature wasn't updated, and having OBJ at WR makes things look a lot more solid at the position.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

1coldone
Starter
Starter

Postby 1coldone » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:52 pm

I would take the 1.01.

smallxl
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby smallxl » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:03 am

Barkley for me....but I'm mesmerized by the upside!

In response to some of the comments, I think the bell's and Zeke's are much harder to find and very scarce. That turns the needle for me....plus I don't believe in Winston.
22-man, 12-team, 1 pt-PPR; Start 1-2RB; 3-4 WR; 1-2 TE

TEAM 1
QB: Prescott, Foles
RB: Barkley, P Barber, Duke, Gio Bernard, Gus, C Thompson, Breida, Ekeler
WR: A Cooper, Cooks, Lockett, C. Davis, Crowder, Chark, Stills
TE: OJ Howard