Early Off-Season Team advice

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
jp4703
Role Player
Role Player

Early Off-Season Team advice

Postby jp4703 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:30 pm

So this was our leagues first year doing Dynasty, and pretty soon this will be our first rookie draft.

What are some tips on how to approach a rookie draft? I think since our league is IDP it also makes things a little bit harder on how rookies are valued. There's really no rankings out there that also include IDP players.

My biggest weaknesses right now I'd say is RB, DL, QB. Last season I overspent to acquire Brees in week 4. I was 0-3 at the time and Eli Manning was my QB, I felt I was one of the top teams in the league and I was a QB away from winning it all. Well that didn't pan out and I learned my lesson that with dynasty I have to be more patient instead of treating it like a redraft league.

So far this class looks very deep on RB, and QB which is great for me because I need to add more depth to this positions. Would it be a reach for me to take a QB with my 2.02(18th overall) pick? Most of the league is devaluing the QB spot and it doesn't seem like any QB's would go earlier then my 2.02 pick. I'd most likely have my choice at QB and I feel like it would be a safe pick because I'm sure by then we'd know which QB will make a direct impact and which won't.

For my 1.08 pick I'm thinking of going RB. It's kind of hard to project who would be available to me at that pick but I'm going to keep my figures crossed that I don't draft the bust of the draft. As far as defense goes I feel like every season the top defensive guys shuffle around. I'm just hoping to put in a lot of research during the off-season where I can pickup a sleeper DL. Last season I managed to pickup Lawrence and Justin Houston right before the season started so I'm hoping for something similar.
16 team - 42rosters - 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2FLEX, 1PK, 3DE/DL, 2DB, 2LB, 1DFLEX
QB: D. Brees, M. Stafford.
RB: L. Bell, D. Cook, J. Conner, M. Sanders, A. Blue, J. Ajayi, A. Barnes.
WR: M. Thomas, A.J. Green, J. Jones, C. Godwin, Z. Jones, J. Reynolds, K. Kirkwood, J. Moore, J. Hurd, T. Benjamin.
TE: Z. Ertz, J. Smith, M. Andrews, D. Waller, J. Sternberger.
K: M. Badgley.
DB: L. Collins, J. Johnson, J. Tart, C. Geathers, M. Blair.
DL: C. Dunlap, D. Barnett, J. Casey, B. Graham, G. McCoy, J. Allen.
LB: T. Whitehead, J. Hicks, J. Collins, J. Brown, K. White, G. Avery, C. Barton, B. Cashman, J. Ryan, J. Tavai, Q. Williams.
Picks:
2020: 2, 4, 4, 5
2021: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

millworkguy
Captain
Captain

Re: Early Off-Season Team advice

Postby millworkguy » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:40 pm

no, depending on your scoring 2.02 is not to early to look at qb/nor the top lb (scoring dependent) i'd likely look to your auction first to shore up your dl or late round fliers. They tend to score the least points (of the idp) and while that makes studs valuable - Bosa, Chubb Cambell etc. You may be fine to take a few in free agency and one late in the draft.
PPR IDP Contract Cap:
ConF (16 Team)
DAF (16 team)
DW2- Co-Commish (16 Team)

PPR IDP Salary Cap:
Hardcore - LAC (32 team)
T1 - Commish (12 team)
T2 - Commish (16 Team)

jp4703
Role Player
Role Player

Postby jp4703 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:51 pm

DL's score a lot of points in our league because of sacks(+4 for sack, +1.5 for tackle, +2 for TFL = 7.5 per sack).

Our offensive scoring is pretty standard(.5 ppr). I think someone out there will take Chubb first round in our draft.
WR: M. Thomas, A.J. Green, J. Jones, C. Godwin, Z. Jones, J. Reynolds, K. Kirkwood, J. Moore, J. Hurd, T. Benjamin.
LB: T. Whitehead, J. Hicks, J. Collins, J. Brown, K. White, G. Avery, C. Barton, B. Cashman, J. Ryan, J. Tavai, Q. Williams.
Picks:

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:23 pm

In a 16 team league, QBs are very important. I wouldn't even blame you for taking one with the 1.08, but since your league devalues the position, you should hopefully be able to get the top QB in the draft at 2.02.

jp4703
Role Player
Role Player

Postby jp4703 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:19 am

Goddard wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:23 pm In a 16 team league, QBs are very important. I wouldn't even blame you for taking one with the 1.08, but since your league devalues the position, you should hopefully be able to get the top QB in the draft at 2.02.
Yeah, If I had an early third round pick I still feel like I can have one of the QB's but since my third round is late I may have to take a QB with my second pick.

Hopefully I can get another 2 years out of Brees so it makes up for what I paid for him.
Picks:

joekuhns11
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby joekuhns11 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:30 am

I wouldn't waste any of your early picks (Rounds 1-4) on defensive players. Yes, they score you more points than average, but there is a plethera of defensive players on the waiver wire. And every year, the top 5 at each position almost certainly change.

I think this is my 6th year of dynasty, and i learned the hard way by drafting defense rounds 2 & 3 because i thought why not get the best defensive rookie instead of the 13th best RB. Didn't work out. I think i drafted Star Louteloi & Sylvester Williams or something like that.
Team #1 (1Qb, 2RB,2WR,1TE,1Flex) 10team, 1PPR

QB - Hurts, Watson, Penix
RB - Hall, Jacobs, Mixon, Tyrone Tracey
WR - Tyreek, Jefferson, Chase, Jayden Reed, Cooper, Brian Thomas, Brendan Rice, Mooney
TE - Goedert, Kmet

Team #2 (Finished 1st)
QB - Tua, Pickett
RB - Hall, Barkley, K. Walker, James Cook
WR - Chase, D. Smith, D. Adams, Hopkins, Jameson Williams
TE - Laporta
2024 Picks: None

joekuhns11
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby joekuhns11 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:30 am

I wouldn't waste any of your early picks (Rounds 1-4) on defensive players. Yes, they score you more points than average, but there is a plethera of defensive players on the waiver wire. And every year, the top 5 at each position almost certainly change.

I think this is my 6th year of dynasty, and i learned the hard way by drafting defense rounds 2 & 3 because i thought why not get the best defensive rookie instead of the 13th best RB. Didn't work out. I think i drafted Star Louteloi & Sylvester Williams or something like that.
Team #1 (1Qb, 2RB,2WR,1TE,1Flex) 10team, 1PPR

QB - Hurts, Watson, Penix
RB - Hall, Jacobs, Mixon, Tyrone Tracey
WR - Tyreek, Jefferson, Chase, Jayden Reed, Cooper, Brian Thomas, Brendan Rice, Mooney
TE - Goedert, Kmet

Team #2 (Finished 1st)
QB - Tua, Pickett
RB - Hall, Barkley, K. Walker, James Cook
WR - Chase, D. Smith, D. Adams, Hopkins, Jameson Williams
TE - Laporta
2024 Picks: None

jp4703
Role Player
Role Player

Postby jp4703 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:43 am

joekuhns11 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:30 am I wouldn't waste any of your early picks (Rounds 1-4) on defensive players. Yes, they score you more points than average, but there is a plethera of defensive players on the waiver wire. And every year, the top 5 at each position almost certainly change.

I was thinking the same thing to be honest. Which is why I traded away Demarcus Lawrence for the 1.08 this off season. If I were to draft a defensive player I'd draft a DL/DE because it's harder to find a solid DL since we're required to start 3.
Picks:

jp4703
Role Player
Role Player

Postby jp4703 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:03 am

Any other advice?
Picks:

jeffster
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby jeffster » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:37 am

If your league devalues QBs, why don't you see if you can land Wentz via trade for the 1.08, or Goff for the 2.02? Something like that.

The problem with banking on QB via draft is the ultra slow development time plus high bust rate.

hockeyBjj
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby hockeyBjj » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:42 am

jeffster wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:37 am If your league devalues QBs, why don't you see if you can land Wentz via trade for the 1.08, or Goff for the 2.02? Something like that.

The problem with banking on QB via draft is the ultra slow development time plus high bust rate.
I like these suggestions. Drafting a QB is still super chancy because their bust rate is so great and hard to predict. In a single QB league, most QB's outside of Aaron Rodgers or Russell Wilson aren't worth 1sts so someone with Wentz and a capable backup may jump at the 1.08 for him and that'd be a solid move for your team. 16 team league, QBs get a bump in value that they don't have in 10 or 12 team. Not saying go full 10 team superflex in their worth, but I think a young promising QB who has already shown he has it would be worth a 1st. I'd be nervous using an early 2nd on the next big name, 2 season QB bust
Team 1- 10 team ppr, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flx, 1D, 1K
2022: 1-8
Finishes: 6th, 6th, 1st, 5th, 6th, 9th
QB: Lamar Jackson, Purdy
RB: Bijan, Dobbins, Achane, Charbonnet, Algier, McBride, waiver trash
WR: JSN, QJ, Addison, Dotson, Skyy Moore, Jameson Williams, Hyatt, T Dell, Boutte, Skowronek, Quez Watkins, Greg Dortch, waiver trash
TE: Hockenson, F Monroe, Juwan, Musgrave
D/K: Patriots, Vikings, Saints, Dicker

picks-
2024- 1,1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,4,5,5
2025 1,1,1,2,3,4,5

team 2- 12 team SF, .5PPR, .5TE boost, 1QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
2022: 8-1
Finishes: 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd :wall:
QB: Ljax, GenoD Jones, Dobbs
RB: CMC, Stevenson, A Jones, Chubb, A Mattison, D cook, Perine, Mckinnon,
WR:Tyreek, Diggs, C Kupp, D Adams, Keenan Allen, Lockett, Gallup, A Lazard, Hodgins
TE: Kelce, LaPorta, Irv Smith,
No picks until 2026 5th rounder lol

jp4703
Role Player
Role Player

Postby jp4703 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:56 am

jeffster wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:37 am If your league devalues QBs, why don't you see if you can land Wentz via trade for the 1.08, or Goff for the 2.02? Something like that.

By devaluing QB's I meant drafting QB's early. I don't think I can get Wentz because of how good he was last season, but I think Goff may be a possibility because that owner also has Matt Ryan.

I know the owner who has Goff is also weak at TE, maybe I can send him Hunter Henry for Goff straight up and see where that takes me? To be honest I was thinking of drafting Rosen, I view him as the best QB in this draft. The only reason I feel confident about this draft class is because I'm pretty sure at least 3-4 of them are going to start almost right away.
Picks: