Dealing with Being in a Dynasty League Where Other Owners Don't Understand Value

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
ascherb
Starter
Starter

Dealing with Being in a Dynasty League Where Other Owners Don't Understand Value

Postby ascherb » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:00 pm

So, I commish a 14-team dynasty league where everyone is active, but many of the owners don't really understand fair dynasty value of players. They don't understand that youth in itself is an asset in dynasty and therefore guys like Mike Williams have value despite not playing in 2017.

Marshawn Lynch was taken at 1.05 of our rookie draft last year. Guys like Mike Williams are not valued at all and we had to convince the owner of him not to straight up drop him.

My question is how does someone who understands value of assets better than 75% of the league, how do I take advantage?
Please give us a visit for awesome FF content:

extrapointff.com

Madadamus
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Dealing with Being in a Dynasty League Where Other Owners Don't Understand Value

Postby Madadamus » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:03 pm

Acquire a lot of young talent, and more importantly picks. I am in a league like this sorta. I couldn't trade for anyone that was producing, and anyone that wasn't was worthless to other owners. Getting picks though allows you to build your team and once you have the Fournette/Kamara/Barkley hits you can really take advantage.
12 Team PPR Dynasty - DLFS
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 2 RB/WR/TE, 1 QB/RB/WR/TE, 1 TE
QB: J. Burrow, M. Stafford, C. Wentz
RB: S. Barkley, D. Swift, J.K. Dobbins, C. Edwards-Helaire, R. Penny, G. Edwards, K. Drake
WR: T. Higgins, M. Evans, B. Aiyuk, C. Watson, K. Toney, M. Thomas, C. Ridley, C. Davis, J. Reagor
TE: D. Waller, E. Engram, H. Hurst, D. Njoku, G. Dulich, J. Akins
2023 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 2nd (mid), 3rd, 4th, 4th (mid)

12 Team PPR Dynasty
1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 2 RB/WR/TE, 1 QB/RB/WR/TE, 1 TE
QB: J. Herbert, M. Stafford, J. Winston, D. Lock, M. Mariota, J. Stidham, R. Fitzpatrick
RB: C. McCaffrey, A. Kamara, E. Elliott, J. Dobbin, J. Mixon, A. Mattison, J. White, L. Bell
WR: D. Moore, J. Jeudy, O. Beckham Jr., C. Claypool, C. Davis. D. Parker, L. Fitzgerald, B. Perriman, W. Snead
TE: E. Engram, C. Kmet, C. Herndon, K. Warring
2021 Picks: 1.10, 2.10, 3.10, 4.10

jpusmc0311
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Dealing with Being in a Dynasty League Where Other Owners Don't Understand Value

Postby jpusmc0311 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:04 pm

Take advantage of his undervaluation of Williams and lowball him.. Send him DGB straight up. I've pretty much given up on DGB, and if he was going to drop Williams anyways, he should take it.
Team 1: 10 TEAM PPR. 0.2 PPC 2QB 3RB 4WR 1TE 1FLEX 2IDP 1 D/ST 1K
QBs - Bridgewater, Cousins, Darnold, Rudolph
RBs - Miles Sanders, Ronald Jones, Mixon, Fournette, Mike Davis, Gio Bernard, T. Coleman, Damien Williams, Love
WRs - DHop, Chris Godwin, DK Metcalf, DJ Chark, Beckham Jr, DJ Moore, Sutton, Kirk, Edelman, Tre'Quan Smith, Anthony Miller, Van Jefferson, Jalen Guyton, Peoples-Jones, Marcus Johnson
TEs- Kittle, Hockenson, Tonyan, Njoku, Trautman
IDP: Lavonte David, Roquan Smith
K: Greg Zuerlein

Team 2: 12 Team PPR 1QB, 3RB, 4WR, 1TE, 1FLEX
QBs - Josh Allen, Matt Ryan, Lock, Eason
RBs - Barkley, Cook, Swift, Cam Akers, Mack, K. Johnson,
WRs - Michael Thomas, A Robinson II, Chark Jr, Tee Higgins, Woods, Sutton, B Edwards, Hardman, Zach Pascal, Van Jefferson, Berrios, Gandy-Golden, Tyler Johnson, P Campbell
TE - Fant, Ebron, Kmet

darewood11
All Pro
All Pro

Postby darewood11 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:04 pm

Let him drop Williams and scoop him up ha. I've noticed if I even give helpful insight they think I'm just trying to rip them off so i gave up trying to help. It's painful sometimes

mullmania
MVP
MVP

Postby mullmania » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:07 pm

Yeah it's not a bad league in to sell Dez types for a 1st and 2nd and acquire the whole rookie draft.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:11 pm

Make sure none of your fellow owners visits DLF for starters.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Gator Sens » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:12 pm

I'm surprised those type of owners are even in a dynasty league. They seem better suited for year to year leagues. I think dynasty leagues can take a year or 2 to get used to and fully understand. Hopefully your league improves to be more fun.

Golly Dagger
Starter
Starter

Postby Golly Dagger » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:15 pm

I'm in two dynasty leagues with this same dilemma. It gets really frustrating trying to defend specific players, especially young wide receivers. My leagues are full of "what have you done for me lately" people.

Guys with almost zero value in my league:

Mike Williams
Corey Coleman
Dez Bryant
Andrew Luck
Corey Davis
John Ross
Sammy Watkins

(Keenan Allen before this season)

Those are just examples, the list goes on. If you've under produced or "injury prone," you're near worthless. I was ridiculed for stating Keenan Allen was just a victim of fluke injuries and would be a top 5 wideout when healthy again. My advice would be to go after youth, buy low candidates, etc.

Joe Mixon, Julio Jones, and T.Y. Hilton would be some names I'd be looking at if your league is in a similar line of thinking.
Team 1:
Fantasy Slams (est. 2015) - Golly Dagger
1st season: 7-7 (Missed playoffs)
2nd season: 7-6 (1st rd exit)
3rd season: 6-7 (Missed playoffs)
4th season: 11-2 (League Champ)
5th season: 9-4 (1st rd exit)

.5 PPR, 6pt TD, 4pt TD Pass, 25 roster, 14 team (6 Playoffs), 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE), 1LB, 1DL, 1DB, 1 Flex IDP:

QB: Jackson, Darnold
RB: Mixon, Gurley, Guice
WR: Cooper, Golladay, Metcalf, Campbell, Boykin, Isabella, Ross, Dulin
TE: Kittle, I. Thomas
DL: J. Bosa
LB: Darius Leonard, Barrett, Esche
DB: Collins

Draft capital: 1.02, 1.06, 4.12, 5.04, 6.04, 7.04, 7.09

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby M-Dub » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:26 pm

ascherb wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:00 pm So, I commish a 14-team dynasty league where everyone is active, but many of the owners don't really understand fair dynasty value of players. They don't understand that youth in itself is an asset in dynasty and therefore guys like Mike Williams have value despite not playing in 2017.

Marshawn Lynch was taken at 1.05 of our rookie draft last year. Guys like Mike Williams are not valued at all and we had to convince the owner of him not to straight up drop him.

My question is how does someone who understands value of assets better than 75% of the league, how do I take advantage?
Where do I start?

First of all, this is just a silly question. Are you seriously asking how to take advantage of owners who value current production more than youth and upside? Isn’t that Dynasty 101?

Secondly, if this is the same 14-team league as the one in your sig, it looks like you’ve already done a masterful job of taking advantage of said owners.

Last but not least, if you’re the commish, I think you at least have some degree of responsibility for educating your fellow owners about dynasty values. Sure, sometimes you can lead a horse to water and it’ll still take Marshawn Lynch at 1.05, but you should at least encourage the other owners to visit these forums, or listen to a dynasty podcast or two, or check the Reddit dynasty forum or something. Or you can just fleece the hell out of them and then try to find replacement owners for the shitty teams they eventually abandon.
Both are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

🦬PRIME🦬
QB: Hurts, Howell
RB: Mixon, Jones, Sanders, Dobbins, Akers, Roschon, Dowdle, Kelley
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert
TE: Hockenson, Chig, Trautman
Taxi: Willis, Z. White, M. Mims, T. Palmer

Hull Awaits
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5
TE: Thomas $1/0, Hill $1/0, Parham $1/0

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:44 pm

Compare redraft rankings to dynasty rankings. If you see a player on your team who's ranked a lot higher in redraft than he is in dynasty, move that guy for someone who's the exact opposite. No/low redraft value, but high dynasty value.

saw061600
Legend
Legend

Postby saw061600 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:10 pm

Sometimes you just can't get owners to understand. I've repeatedly posted links to DFL, Rotoviz, and other sites in attempts to get owners in one league to wake up (about 1/2 seem clueless, still saw a DB go in round 1 last year :wall: ) Even after all the shared resources, they still send me offers like I give Watkins+Jones for Curtis Samuel and CJ Prosise (because "I drafted him [CJ] in round 1 and Watkins hasn't done jack). Ugh.
10 TM No PPR or waiver 85RST
Herbert Fields Garoppolo Ridder
JT Barkley Etienne Ingram Charb CEH
Evans Aiyuk Dionte Jeudy London JWill GWils EMoore JMyers Mims Moorex2
Andrews Kinkaid Pits Freiermuth
NBosa Quinnen DJJones Clark F-Myers Taylor Graham
Darius Okereke Kendricks DCampbell DJones Baker Kiser Brooks
Adams Simmons Vaccaro Joseph

12 TM .5ppr 45 RST
Herbert Stroud Mayfield
JT Achane Kamara Ford Pacheco Jaleel
AJB DK Godwin Aiyuk Kirk ZJones RMoore Thornton
Hock F-muth
LWilliams Payne Reed Greenard
Bernard Kendricks Warner Baker Williams Tranquil
Budda McKinney Clark Wilson

1-2QB 2-4RB 3-5WR 1-3TE 11OFF/DEF
Herbert Stafford Brock Dobbs
Taylor Jacobs Mattison Kyren Jaleel Ford Bigsby
AJB Diggs Evans Kirk McLaurin Dionte Boyd Renfrow JuJu
Kelce Pitts Deguara
Hutchinson Rousseau Greenard Travon Demarcus
QWilliams EJones TBernard Dean ShaqT Kyzir
Amos Bates Peppers Murray Fitz Clark

Hahaclintondix
Starter
Starter

Postby Hahaclintondix » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:44 pm

My league started like this. If they weren’t immediately producing, nobody wanted them. We had 8-9 teams that thought they could win and assembled decent 1-2 year teams. Draft picks were tossed around like candy, young players were just thrown in to get older guys who were current WR1/RB1s. It was complete lunacy.

The team that won year 1 is completely irrelevant outside of Bell, year 2 champ missed the playoffs and has 1 draft pick for the next 3 seasons, year 3 champ acquired picks/young players while everyone else went all in and is in great shape for the next few seasons. The other current top teams also flipped older dudes and win now players for picks and younger guys during the first two years. Our league is so lopsided and top heavy now that more than 60% of the top 50 players are on 4 teams. The guys at the bottom have a couple of respectable players and a draft pick or two. That’s it.

Your team is stacked anyway, but my suggestion would be to trade anything you don’t really need for first round picks that could be top 5 and younger players nobody wants. Get rid of all the older 1 or 2 year guys, stockpile picks and young guys who haven’t broken out yet.

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:48 pm

M-Dub wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:26 pm
ascherb wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:00 pm So, I commish a 14-team dynasty league where everyone is active, but many of the owners don't really understand fair dynasty value of players. They don't understand that youth in itself is an asset in dynasty and therefore guys like Mike Williams have value despite not playing in 2017.

Where do I start?

First of all, this is just a silly question. Are you seriously asking how to take advantage of owners who value current production more than youth and upside? Isn’t that Dynasty 101?

Secondly, if this is the same 14-team league as the one in your sig, it looks like you’ve already done a masterful job of taking advantage of said owners.

Last but not least, if you’re the commish, I think you at least have some degree of responsibility for educating your fellow owners about dynasty values. Sure, sometimes you can lead a horse to water and it’ll still take Marshawn Lynch at 1.05, but you should at least encourage the other owners to visit these forums, or listen to a dynasty podcast or two, or check the Reddit dynasty forum or something. Or you can just fleece the hell out of them and then try to find replacement owners for the shitty teams they eventually abandon.
^This, ^this, and^^^this.
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

Mkh3225
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Mkh3225 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:01 pm

Ugh... we had a guy drop Mike Williams and then the commish literally reached out to make sure he meant it... I understand "fat finger" drops but it sat like that for hours before he finally noticed... we also had a guy drop DeShaun Watson for Alex Smith then my buddy picked him up for free and traded him back to him for a 2019 1 and 2... some people are just way too shortsighted for their own good... there's only so much you can do to educate.
80's TV Shows Dynasty: Hill Street Blues
2016 League Champs
12 team, 1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 1FLEX DEF K (full ppr) 24 man
QB: Luck, Rivers
RB: Shady, M Gordon, Aa Jones, Ty Montgomery, Prosise, K Dixon
WR: Julio, Adams, Hilton, J Gordon, DJ Moore, J Brown, K White, Richardson, Trent Taylor, Tyr Williams
TE: Gronk, Reed, Olsen, Jonnu, Gesicki
D/ST: N/A
K: Tucker

Turf Wars Dynasty League: Hawkins Demogorgons
12-team: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLEX DEF (full ppr) 28 man
QB- Luck Goff
RB- J Howard Guice Penny Carson Burkhead Bernard Edmonds
WR- Cooper Allen Watkins Fuller A Miller R. Matthews Tyr Williams Lockett Kearse Grant Allison Butler Lasley
TE- Gronk OJ Howard Fumagalli
D/ST- PIT

Marvel Legends: Captain America
12 team 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLEX DEF K (full ppr) 25 man, 2 Taxi
QB: Winston Trubisky
RB: Guice R Freeman D Foreman Abdullah Aa Jones Montgomery Prosise Dixon
WR: C Davis DJ Moore DJ Chark Callaway Lockett K White Henderson Hollins Darboh
TE: Henry Everett ASJ M Andrews
D/ST: CAR
K: Succop

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:00 pm

ascherb wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:00 pm Marshawn Lynch was taken at 1.05 of our rookie draft last year.
Go back to lay year and you will find probably at least half the members of this board were advocating taking Lynch in the middle first. I lost track of the number of times I had to post trying to explain why that is terrible value. Finally I just gave up. There are far too many redraft minded owners in this game now. There really isn't much you can do about it other than run your team your way and take advantage of their mistakes.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.