Arob for J.Mixon

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.

Do I make this trade?

Yes
44%
No
56%

Total votes: 43

Johnny Canuck
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Arob for J.Mixon

Postby Johnny Canuck » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:15 am

Gotta go with Arob here.

I like Mixon, but if you watch his tape, he's not really all that impressive. Gio legitimately looked like the best RB on that team. Mixon has great measurables, and I want to believe he'll be good eventually, but until I actually see something on the field, you're paying for what he will HOPEFULLY become - not what he is or has shown to be.

Don't prepay for a ceiling that hasn't been attained. That's like buying a stock that is currently valued at $1.00, but instead of paying $1.00, you're going to buy it at $2.00 a share because it'll be worth that next yr - it makes zero sense.

This isn't to say that Arob is great. Arob has had exactly one good season, and most of that production was in pure garbage time. I like him as a player, but he's more of a WR12-20 than a top 10WR (still very solid - but not elite). Regardless he's worth more than Mixon, because he's shown that he can contribute at a high-end level. That one yr of high-end production is worth more than the allure of potential from Mixon.

I'm guessing that Mixon will be to RBs, what Watkins is WRs...they "should" be a stud but never will be.

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:40 pm

Man, this is tough. I'm extremely high on Mixon, and moderately high on ARob, but as others have pointed out your roster needs a ton of work so I think I'd rather stick with the young WR here
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

NY CAT
Captain
Captain

Postby NY CAT » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:42 pm

Appreciate all the feedback.

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:45 pm

Johnny Canuck wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:15 am Gotta go with Arob here.

I like Mixon, but if you watch his tape, he's not really all that impressive. Gio legitimately looked like the best RB on that team. Mixon has great measurables, and I want to believe he'll be good eventually, but until I actually see something on the field, you're paying for what he will HOPEFULLY become - not what he is or has shown to be...
I'm guessing that Mixon will be to RBs, what Watkins is WRs...they "should" be a stud but never will be.
What...? I mean, you are mentioning his tape not his YPC or some other stat, so I respect the fact that you're actually referring to his on-field skill, but I just can't understand what you mean by the statement that he hasn't been impressive on the field?

I would argue he was maybe the 2nd-most impressive back in the NFL this season, after only Leveon Bell. Yes he got banged up, and yes he did have some runs where he tried to do too much and turned a 4 yard run into a 0 yard run, but for the most part he was amazing on film. He legit looked like a slightly less-refined Leveon Bell. Amazing balance, power, patience, speed, and quickness.
HERBERT, Baker
KITTLE
/
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
KITTLE, Goedert
/
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
/
R WILSON, Minshew
KELCE, Schultz
/
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
LAPORTA

melohaven
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby melohaven » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:58 pm

I would prefer ARob in the situation where I have to start more WR's than RB's

Johnny Canuck
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Johnny Canuck » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:14 pm

lukkynumber13 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:45 pm

I like Mixon, but if you watch his tape, he's not really all that impressive. Gio legitimately looked like the best RB on that team. Mixon has great measurables, and I want to believe he'll be good eventually, but until I actually see something on the field, you're paying for what he will HOPEFULLY become - not what he is or has shown to be...
What...? I mean, you are mentioning his tape not his YPC or some other stat, so I respect the fact that you're actually referring to his on-field skill, but I just can't understand what you mean by the statement that he hasn't been impressive on the field?

I would argue he was maybe the 2nd-most impressive back in the NFL this season, after only Leveon Bell. Yes he got banged up, and yes he did have some runs where he tried to do too much and turned a 4 yard run into a 0 yard run, but for the most part he was amazing on film. He legit looked like a slightly less-refined Leveon Bell. Amazing balance, power, patience, speed, and quickness.
2nd most impressive is a bit of a stretch.

Would you really say he was more impressive than: Kamara, Gurley, Hunt, Fournette, Zeke, Ingram, Shady, Gordon, McCaff...hell even Drake, D. Cook, Lewis, McKinnon and Collins made more happen than Mixon.

So maybe he's 16th most impressive...that sounds more appropriate.

Like I said before, I like Mixon as a player, and agree that he tried to emulate the Lev Bell style, but he dances too much when he could of hit the open hole. Mixon had some flash plays this yr, but man, everyone can flash a few plays per yr. Hopefully the kid can put it all together next yr, he has all the tools, but so far he hasn't shown the consistency to be the next king of RBs like some like to appoint him.

I'm really just arguing that his trade value is ridiculous compared to his tape and production. The hype from last year and rookie draft capital has hyperinflated his trade value for sure. So so so risky to pay the kinds of prices ppl want for Mixon these days.

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:55 pm

Johnny Canuck wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:14 pm

Would you really say he was more impressive than: Kamara, Gurley, Hunt, Fournette, Zeke, Ingram, Shady, Gordon, McCaff...hell even Drake, D. Cook, Lewis, McKinnon and Collins made more happen than Mixon.

Like I said before, I like Mixon as a player, and agree that he tried to emulate the Lev Bell style, but he dances too much when he could of hit the open hole. Mixon had some flash plays this yr, but man, everyone can flash a few plays per yr. Hopefully the kid can put it all together next yr, but so far he hasn't shown the consistency to be the next king of RBs like some like to appoint him.

I'm really just arguing that his trade value is ridiculous compared to his tape and production. The hype from last year and rookie draft capital has hyperinflated is trade value for sure. So so so risky to pay the kinds of prices ppl want for Mixon these days.
I will agree that early in the season he was trying way too hard to emulate Bell. But the change mid season saw him take what the defense gave him. He also was one of the top rated RBs in terms of yards after contact, and not leaving yards on the field. I was listening to I think The Dynasty Blueprint and they had a special guest on who studies RBs and he listed Mixon as an elite RB based on an advanced metric he came up with thats supposed to be more telling than yards after contact. Mixon also got hit at or behind the line more than any of the other starting RBs. Hes really good. Like, really really good. If the Bungles address the Oline Mixon will be a top 10 back next season, guaranteed.

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:22 pm

Are we talking about his stats last year? You're right, he wasn't good at all. In fact, when I go to MFL and rank fantasy PPG for RBs, it turns out he sort of sucks!

Now, if we are talking about what he looks like on film, yes I think there's a real chance he's the 2nd best running back in the league already. He's absolutely top 7.

Bell, DJ, McCoy, and then Zeke/Mixon/Gurley/Kamara
HERBERT, Baker
KITTLE
/
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
KITTLE, Goedert
/
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
/
R WILSON, Minshew
KELCE, Schultz
/
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
LAPORTA

auggiedoggies
Legend
Legend

Postby auggiedoggies » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:17 pm

A Rob is a big time buy for me. I'd prefer A Rob over Mixon
In Zimmer We Trust
2014 DLF Charter League Champion
Inaugural DLF HOF League Champion

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:21 pm

lukkynumber13 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:22 pm
lukkynumber13 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:45 pm What...? I mean, you are mentioning his tape not his YPC or some other stat, so I respect the fact that you're actually referring to his on-field skill, but I just can't understand what you mean by the statement that he hasn't been impressive on the field?

Are we talking about his stats last year? You're right, he wasn't good at all. In fact, when I go to MFL and rank fantasy PPG for RBs, it turns out he sort of sucks!

Now, if we are talking about what he looks like on film, yes I think there's a real chance he's the 2nd best running back in the league already. He's absolutely top 7.

Bell, DJ, McCoy, and then Zeke/Mixon/Gurley/Kamara
I like both, but if we're going to talk about how a player looked on film and bring up stats, shouldn't we do the same with Arob. This thread isn't about Mixon vs Gio, or any other RB for that matter. This is Mixon vs Arob. If we're pointing out Mixon's flaws, same can be done with Arob and the last time he played, in addition to the torn ACL.

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:55 pm

Bot101 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:55 pm
lukkynumber13 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:45 pm What...? I mean, you are mentioning his tape not his YPC or some other stat, so I respect the fact that you're actually referring to his on-field skill, but I just can't understand what you mean by the statement that he hasn't been impressive on the field?

Like I said before, I like Mixon as a player, and agree that he tried to emulate the Lev Bell style, but he dances too much when he could of hit the open hole. Mixon had some flash plays this yr, but man, everyone can flash a few plays per yr. Hopefully the kid can put it all together next yr, but so far he hasn't shown the consistency to be the next king of RBs like some like to appoint him.

I'm really just arguing that his trade value is ridiculous compared to his tape and production. The hype from last year and rookie draft capital has hyperinflated is trade value for sure. So so so risky to pay the kinds of prices ppl want for Mixon these days.
I will agree that early in the season he was trying way too hard to emulate Bell. But the change mid season saw him take what the defense gave him. He also was one of the top rated RBs in terms of yards after contact, and not leaving yards on the field. I was listening to I think The Dynasty Blueprint and they had a special guest on who studies RBs and he listed Mixon as an elite RB based on an advanced metric he came up with thats supposed to be more telling than yards after contact. Mixon also got hit at or behind the line more than any of the other starting RBs. Hes really good. Like, really really good. If the Bungles address the Oline Mixon will be a top 10 back next season, guaranteed.
If we're talking about how he looked athletically, then sure. But there is more to it than that. His biggest weakness coming out was his vision and indecisiveness around the LoS and he sucked badly in both of those categories this year.

There's a reason he didn't really outproduce Gio/Hill with his touches despite being 10x the athlete of either of them. He has a long ways to go in the mental aspect of the game before that athleticism starts paying off unless he suddenly winds up behind an elite O-line where he doesn't have to actually find the hole like he had in college.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:15 pm

Johnny Canuck wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:14 pm I like Mixon as a player, and agree that he tried to emulate the Lev Bell style, but he dances too much when he could of hit the open hole.
I think part of Mixon's problems in 2017 were that he didn't see very many of these.

As for the trade, I'm really torn between the two players. ARob is in limbo until we know what Jax wants to do with him. I believe in Mixon's ability but am unsure if Cincy will make the moves to take advantage of it.

I suppose I'd value WR's in your league slightly over RB's since you start more of them weekly, it's a PPR league, and they tend to have a longer shelf life which would be useful in your situation since the roster does need a bit of an overhaul. I like that you're looking to improve the team, but maybe right now isn't the best time to make a move? I think ARob's value has the best chance of increasing as we move toward the free-agency period (assuming new QB/Destination). And you know 1.01 will start to get more interest the closer we get to draft season.

I'd probably have some preliminary talks with other owners to gauge interest in ARob and 1.01, then follow up a bit down the road when things are clearer and hopefully both assets have appreciated a bit.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:27 pm

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:15 pm
Johnny Canuck wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:14 pm I like Mixon as a player, and agree that he tried to emulate the Lev Bell style, but he dances too much when he could of hit the open hole.
I think part of Mixon's problems in 2017 were that he didn't see very many of these.

As for the trade, I'm really torn between the two players. ARob is in limbo until we know what Jax wants to do with him. I believe in Mixon's ability but am unsure if Cincy will make the moves to take advantage of it.

I suppose I'd value WR's in your league slightly over RB's since you start more of them weekly, it's a PPR league, and they tend to have a longer shelf life which would be useful in your situation since the roster does need a bit of an overhaul. I like that you're looking to improve the team, but maybe right now isn't the best time to make a move? I think ARob's value has the best chance of increasing as we move toward the free-agency period (assuming new QB/Destination). And you know 1.01 will start to get more interest the closer we get to draft season.

I'd probably have some preliminary talks with other owners to gauge interest in ARob and 1.01, then follow up a bit down the road when things are clearer and hopefully both assets have appreciated a bit.
Agree. Hard to hit the hole when there aren't many being created...hence the dancing around trying to find something or make something out of nothing. I saw a lot of lost yards because of that, but at some point, playmakers try to make big plays and once in a while it works out. Give him a better line, his numbers and film will look very, very different.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:41 pm

I took Mixon @ 1.05 because of how this community hyped him up; I was excited because I needed RB (I also drafted Cook @ 1.04).
I watched him very closely this year; both because I drafted him and because my wife is a Bengals fan.

Honestly? I was quite disappointed. I think he is one of the most overhyped RBs there is.

Both of these players are "relatively" unproven - but give me ARob, you don't start a rebuild with an above-average RB. I will go with the WR who has elite upside.
Goddard wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:27 pm Give him a better line, his numbers and film will look very, very different.
I hate this argument. You can literally say this for every single running back.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:55 pm

It seems the community is divided on this based on both the poll and the comments - in that case you should either follow your gut or wait for more information to appear (ie like what is going to happen to Arob). You should also consider what is your plan for this season, and how this trade would impact it.

I personally have them about even and in that situation when I find both players of equal value to my team I usually stick with the horse I am already riding. l
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..