Buy Low QB's

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
Samhain34
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Buy Low QB's

Postby Samhain34 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:55 pm

I'm going the other way and saying it's worth it to have a star QB. I traded for Wentz (along with M. Gordon) in superflex before last year's draft and I couldn't be happier. Until the injury, he was killing it and was a set it and forget it 25 points per week, even against very good defenses.

Draft picks, especially after the 1.05 are just crap shoots, and the earlier the draft, the bigger the crap shoot your pick is going to be. I would happily give up the 2.02 in a 12-team league for a stud QB, and I always try to have two of them if possible.

Can this backfire? Yes. I picked Luck at and Mariota in my dynasty startup a couple years ago thinking I was set for years to come. That didn't quite pan out. But if you're rolling with a young stud QB and a top-15 or so as your backup, you might prevent a lot of season-ending disasters. This from somebody who has to start Mariota in a playoff game in a weird keeper league because the waiver wire is shut down, injury to Wentz or not.

gausec
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: Buy Low QB's

Postby gausec » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:53 pm

Samhain34 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:55 pm I'm going the other way and saying it's worth it to have a star QB. I traded for Wentz (along with M. Gordon) in superflex before last year's draft and I couldn't be happier. Until the injury, he was killing it and was a set it and forget it 25 points per week, even against very good defenses.

Draft picks, especially after the 1.05 are just crap shoots, and the earlier the draft, the bigger the crap shoot your pick is going to be. I would happily give up the 2.02 in a 12-team league for a stud QB, and I always try to have two of them if possible.

Can this backfire? Yes. I picked Luck at and Mariota in my dynasty startup a couple years ago thinking I was set for years to come. That didn't quite pan out. But if you're rolling with a young stud QB and a top-15 or so as your backup, you might prevent a lot of season-ending disasters. This from somebody who has to start Mariota in a playoff game in a weird keeper league because the waiver wire is shut down, injury to Wentz or not.
Good perspective, I actually traded Wentz in a deal to land Thielin, which has depleted me at QB. I really liked Thielin and felt like I couldn't pass it up...
12 team, 1PPR: QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, Flex, Flex
QB: Brees, Smith, Bortles,
RB: Zeke, Freeman, Buck Allen, Duke, Burkehead, D. Lewis, A. Peterson, C. Grant, Blount
WR: Hilton, Thielen, G. Tate, Edelman, Fuller, Cobb, R. Matthews, C. Meredith, Ginn, Amendola, Pryor, Hurns, J. Matthews
TE: Kittle, Eifert, Brate, McDonald, J. James
IR: K. Dixon, Jermey Hill

2019 Picks: 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 5th
2020 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, 5th