Player stacks in team composotion a good or bad thing?

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
Titans95
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Player stacks in team composotion a good or bad thing?

Postby Titans95 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:45 am

Hey guys I've been making a ton of trades this offseason/beginning of the season and made my last trade after Sundays games for devonta freeman by giving away carlos hyde, tarik cohen, and will fuller. Initially I thought I was done trading for the year and was really happy with my team when I realized that for most weeks I would be rolling out Julio and Freeman along with Gordon and Allen. I was just curious about what everyone's opinions are on having multiple players for the same team. Does this cap the overall potential of a fantasy roster since likely only 1 player will go off each week? Team in sig. Thanks guys!

Thedudewhogetshigh
Starter
Starter

Re: Player stacks in team composotion a good or bad thing?

Postby Thedudewhogetshigh » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:53 am

Rkerr8 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:45 am Hey guys I've been making a ton of trades this offseason/beginning of the season and made my last trade after Sundays games for devonta freeman by giving away carlos hyde, tarik cohen, and will fuller. Initially I thought I was done trading for the year and was really happy with my team when I realized that for most weeks I would be rolling out Julio and Freeman along with Gordon and Allen. I was just curious about what everyone's opinions are on having multiple players for the same team. Does this cap the overall potential of a fantasy roster since likely only 1 player will go off each week? Team in sig. Thanks guys!
One year I had Devante Freeman and Coleman. I played them at the same time each week. Won me a bunch of games that year. Plenty of weeks where both went off for 20+. It probably caps your ceiling but it highers your floor.
Team 1.
16 team 24 man roster.
1 Qb 2 Rb 2 Wr 1 flex 1 d 1 k
Qb: Goff, Lynch, Garrapolo
Rb: Cook, Henry, Dixon, Tolbert
WR: OBJ, AROB, C Coleman, J Schuster, R Anderson K White, B Perriman, M Mitchell, L Treadwell, R Higgins G Allison
TE: J Gresham Butt Gathers
D: San Diego Defence
K: D Hopkins,
Team 2. 16 teams
1 qb 2 rb 2 wr 2 flex 1 superflex 2te
Qb: C Wentz K Cousins J Garrapalo
RB: D Cook J Mixon Du Johnson T Rawls O Darkwa C carson
Wr: A Brown AJ Green J Jones A Robinson D Funchess C Coleman Q Enuwa B Ellington J Reynolds
TE: H Henry C Fleener A Derby

Team 3. 16 team
1 qb 2 rb 2 wr 1 flex 1 d 1k
Qb: C Wentz
Rb: D Cook Mixon K Dixon, M Mack M Tolbert
Wr: M Evans, O Beckham M Thomas Q Enuwa Z Jones C Godwin
TE: A Hooper
D: Jaguars
K: M Prater

Titans95
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Titans95 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:04 am

That's my thought process. This week I had the highest scoring team with carlos hyde instead of devonta freeman in but even with the 15 point differences in their scoring this week I would've had the highest scoring team. I feel like my floor is safe but my ceiling is still high enough to go out and compete against any team that has a great week as well.

dblj1199
GOAT
GOAT

Postby dblj1199 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:06 am

I'm ok with it with elite players, I'm not stacking avg qb's with average wr's. But if you can double down with Brees and Thomas type players I'm all for it. The one issue that always scares me off is say you have a Brady /Gronk combo and they play in Buffalo during the fantasy playoffs and a huge storm hits? That is why I typically try to keep my team diversified as much as possible so a storm, bad game, etc doesn't hurt multiple players on my roster.
2015, 2017, 2022 Champ.
10 team, 6 pt all td, ppr, 1.5 te ppr. 30 man roster QB, SF, 2 RB, 3 WR, TE, Flex (r/w/t), K, 3 IDP

Qb- Mahomes, Prudy, Baker
RB- S Barkley, Pollard, B Hall, K Herbert, D Foreman, R Johnson, Zeke, J Robinson, Z White, J Wilson(i.r.), J McKinnon, J Mason, J Hill
WR- J Jefferson, Deebo, DJ Moore, OBJ, S Moore, J Jennings, C Austin, Trey Palmer
TE- Andrews, Higbee, Dulchich, Ferguson, D Washington
IDP(3)- P Queen,D Perryman, J Jewell, J Campbell, N Dean (i.r.)
K- E McPherson, Butker

draft picks
2024- 2, 4, 5
2025- 3, 3, 4, 5

Jaguars8907
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Jaguars8907 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:47 am

I prefer to stack QB+WR/TE, not so much a RB with a WR or TE
0.5 PPR Scoring - 12 Team - Dynasty Kings
QB [Start 1] RB [1] WR [2] TE [1] FLEX [2] K [1] IDP [3]
2012 Silver
2017 Bronze
2018 Bronze
2019 Silver

Quarterbacks - Lamar Jackson, Philip Rivers, Gardner Minshew II
Running backs - Ezekiel Elliott, David Johnson, James Robinson, Darrell Henderson, Jamal Williams, Matt Breida, Darrel Williams, Frank Gore, Royce Freeman, Tony Pollard
Wide receivers - Odell Beckham, Allen Robinson, Keenan Allen, AJ Green, Denzel Mims, Hunter Renfrow, James Washington, Breshad Perriman
Tight ends - George Kittle, David Njoku, Gerald Everett, Drew Sample
Kickers - Wil Lutz
IDP - Myles Jack, Joe Schobert, Jaylon Smith, Kenneth Murray
Taxi Squad - Laviska Shenault, Devin Duvernay, Anthony McFarland, Deejay Dallas

Slackalacker
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Slackalacker » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:52 am

Most people would say diversify your assets unless it's a QB/WR or RB combo because a WR and RB cannot get points on the same play and one scoring directly takes away the chance for another.

However if they are on high powered offenses then I would of course want both. Like Cooks and MThom last year, Cobb and Jordy awhile ago, Black&Decker with manning. It doesn't hurt but I wouldn't want to role out a combo of people on a mediocre offense.
TEAM 1 - 10 team SF 1PPR | 2017 & 2019 League Champ
1QB/1SF/2RB/2WR/1TE/2FLEX
QB: Dak - Hurts - DangeRuss - Tua - Z Wilson - Mills
RB: Barkley - Zeke - Sanders - Pollard - Patterson - D’Ernest - Jermar - Evans - Jones
WR: Hill - JJeff - Higgins - Hollywood - MThom(IR) - Godwin(IR) - E Moore - Marshall Jr - Calloway - Palmer - D Brown
TE: Hock - Moreau

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:08 am

Having Freeman and Julio AND Gordon and Allen will win you a ton of regular season games but will have you lose in the playoffs.
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

Mike from Canada
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Mike from Canada » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:00 am

moishetreats wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:08 am Having Freeman and Julio AND Gordon and Allen will win you a ton of regular season games but will have you lose in the playoffs.
I don't understand why that would be.

Titans95
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Titans95 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:41 am

moishetreats wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:08 am Having Freeman and Julio AND Gordon and Allen will win you a ton of regular season games but will have you lose in the playoffs.
Could you explain why? I really like the matchups the falcons have during the playoffs

EAGLES
MVP
MVP

Postby EAGLES » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:06 pm

Rkerr8 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:41 am
Could you explain why? I really like the matchups the falcons have during the playoffs
I believe what he is stating is that throughout the season, this combo can win you a lot of games and probably more games will be won then loss; however, in the playoffs if one team leans heavy on the RB bc they take a big lead, it could knock you out real quick. Just an example of the many possibilities
Message me if you’d like to add some flare to your MLF dynasty leagues. Custom team graphics and more...

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:12 pm

Stacking is something that 20-25 years ago was a bit of a trend in this hobby of ours. I'm not sure if anyone has bothered to do any kind of in-depth analysis about it in recent years. I view it much the same way as handcuffing. It's kind of strategy (successful?) but overall I want to try to build my team with the best players I can. I'm not ever going to go out of my way to do use either practice but if (for example), I end up with both Julio and Freeman then I'm not going to complain given the talent of each of them.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

jojo5151
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby jojo5151 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:15 pm

QB, WR stack makes sense ala Houston but nowhere else where I can see.
Team 1
1 QB 12 team PPR
QB - T. Law, Carr, Browning, Stidham
RB- Chubb, Gibbs, Gibson, K. Williams, D Henderson, Dowdle
WR/TE- A. St. Brown, Higgins, K. Allen, E. Moore, B .Cooks, N. Brown, Tillman, McBride, Ferguson
Defense - Ravens, Raiders, Rams
Team 2
1QB 10 team PPR
QB - L. Jackson
RB - Pierce, Akers, Mostert, K. Williams
WR - J.Jefferson, Olave, Njigba,Dotson, E.Moore
TE - Ferguson
D- Eagles

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:23 pm

EAGLES wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:06 pm
Rkerr8 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:41 am
I believe what he is stating is that throughout the season, this combo can win you a lot of games and probably more games will be won then loss; however, in the playoffs if one team leans heavy on the RB bc they take a big lead, it could knock you out real quick. Just an example of the many possibilities
In the regular season, your target is to get a baseline of points. Since half the teams are below average (brilliant, I know), just getting to that baseline makes you .500. With talents like Freeman, Julio, Gordon, and Allen, not only will you get to that baseline almost every week, you'll also have enough huge games from them to exceed that baseline many if not most weeks. In the rare games when ATL and/or LAC get shut out, you'll take a loss. So be it. Even if those players take points away from each other and limit their upside, you'll be a winner in most regular season games. At the end, you'll have a solid winning record at worst and a potential bye at best depending on the rest of your cast.

In the playoffs, however, that baseline is much higher: it's the average of all the best teams in the league, not the average of all the teams in the league. Your ceiling will now be closer to that baseline, limiting your capacity to win every game. More troublesome, if either ATL or LAC gets shut out, then you'll have a hard time reaching that baseline.

Finally, in the regular season, if you win 2 of 3, then your're an upper-level team. In the playoffs, it's impossible to be the champ winning 2 of 3 and very possible that you're out in the first round. In those final three weeks, give me a team with a lower baseline but a higher ceiling. The champ of a league is whatever team nears its ceiling for three weeks in a row, and a team with Freeman, Julio, Gordon, and Allen has a significantly lower ceiling than likely any other team in the playoffs.

Stacking a QB and a single pass-catcher, of course, is different.
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

pokerplayer1000
All Pro
All Pro

Postby pokerplayer1000 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:26 pm

One stack I have in one of my teams is bell and AB. I personally look at it like this. Say another owner had each one individually, they would start them every week, much in the same if someone owned freeman or julio individually. Both owners would start then every week no matter what. I think if it is a wr/rb combo and they are upper level, start every week players then why not start them both?
10Team-2QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 2FLX 1DL 1LB 1DB
QB: Watson/Lamar/FitzMAGIC
RB: Cook/Jacobs/Kamara/Guice/JWilliams
WR: Kupp/Landry/CRidley/Sutton/Fitz/Campbell/Agholar/Boykin
TE: Henry/Hooper/Fant
DL: Houston/Calias
LB: Littleton/Blake
DB: Walker/Bell
20: 1.02,1.08,2.01,2.05,2.08
21: 2 1sts
-
10Team-2QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 2FLX 1 DE,DT,LB,S,CB,FLX,DL/DB
QB: Goff/Stafford/Fitz/Allen/Luck
RB: Zeke/CMC/DJ/Thompson/Barber/Laird
WR: OBJ/Amari/Keenan/Thielen/Fitz/Deebo/Beasley/Boykin/Renfrow/Harmon(TS)
TE: Ebron/Hooper/Vance/Hurst(TS)/Knox(TS)
DE: Jordan/Bosa/Lawerence
DT: Lawerence/Reader
LB: Jaylon/Martinez/Roquan/Campbell
CB: TWhite/King
S: Johnson III/Bell/Jenkins
-
10Team-2QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 1DL 1LB 1DB 1FLX
QB: Goff/BigBen/Ryan/Rivers/Minshew
RB: MG3/Kamara/Thompson/AP
WR: Julio/Nuk/Adams/MJones/Fitz/Lazard/Tate/Isabella(TS)/Renfrow(TS)
TE: Ertz/Higbee/Ebron/Vance/Knox
DL: Lawerence/Jones(KC)/Ingram
LB: DWhite/Leonard/Werner
DB: Walker/Humphrey
20: 1.06, 1.10, 2.06