Trade Complete: Kareem Hunt for David Johnson

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.

Who is worth more?

Kareem Hunt
12%
David Johnson
88%

Total votes: 52

chalorpas
Role Player
Role Player

Trade Complete: Kareem Hunt for David Johnson

Postby chalorpas » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:23 pm

This is a 32-team, double roster, 8 vet keeper, 4 rookie keeper, 0.5 PPR league. A team traded David Johnson for Kareem Hunt. Multiple league members think that the owner who gave up Hunt is crazy and one suggested collusion. I wasn't outraged by the trade either way but thought it was odd that Hunt is now considered what must be a top 5 asset by some? Posting a poll for confirmation :confused: .

Gtdano_14
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Trade Complete: Kareem Hunt for David Johnson

Postby Gtdano_14 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:25 pm

:wtf: :doh:
16 Team PPR 1 QB - 2 RB - 2 WR - 1 TE - 1 Flex
QB- R.Wilson, B. Mayfield
RB- D. Cook, Zeke, J. Jacobs, J. McKinnon, A. Collins, I. Smith, B. Hill, R. Armstead, M. Boone
WR- J. Smith-Schuster, T. Boyd, C. Sutton, M. Brown, H. Ruggs, S. Miller
TE- G. Kittle, Enron, C. Herndon
'21 Picks- 1.12

oppy
Role Player
Role Player

Postby oppy » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:31 pm

I did a late dynasty startup draft last night.... and Kareem Hunt went #1 overall. In a PPR superflex league.

People are insane.

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:57 pm

:silent: speechless

dd041496
Role Player
Role Player

Postby dd041496 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:59 pm

I’m a huge Hunt fan from watching him play at college to now. But give me DJ all day...
12 team league, 0.5 ppr
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 FLEX, K, DEF
QB- Burrow, Watson
RB- Kamara, Jacobs, Gibbs, K Williams, Gibson, CEH
WR- Jefferson, Hill, Godwin, M Brown, Collins
TE- Kelce, Schultz

Practice squad notables:
J Addison
Puka Nacua
M Mayer

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:12 pm

DJ at the dollar store has been a theme around here.

EAGLES
MVP
MVP

Postby EAGLES » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:27 pm

Seriously, I don’t understand the justification here. The Hunt owner got a HUGE steal taking DJ for Hunt straight up. Hunt has had 2 games...TWO! And people are labeling him as a top 5 asset in the likes of DJ, Bell, OBJ, Julio, Evans etc.

The Hunt owner in my league wanted Julio straight up. I laughed at him and then he told me Hunt will go number one next year
:wall: :wtf: :nono:
Message me if you’d like to add some flare to your MLF dynasty leagues. Custom team graphics and more...

IR1
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby IR1 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:34 pm

Would love to hear the thoughts of the two who voted Hunt
10Team PPR-QB/RB/WR/WR/TE/PK/flex-DT/DE/DE/LB/LB/LB/CB/CB/S/S/flex
QB- Herbert, Tua
RB- Barkley, Swift, Montgomery, Dobbins, Walker
WR-Adams, ARSB, JWilliams, Godwin, Metcalf, Allen, Kirk, Flowers
TE- Kelce, Goedert
PK
DT- Buckner, Simmons, QWilliams,
DE- Hunter, JBosa, Thibodeaux, JPHillips, Rousseau, Paye, Greenard
LB- Edmunds, Warner, E Kendricks, Wagner, De"Vondre Campbell, Asamoah, Sanders
CB- Moore, Howard, Reed
S- Dugger, Pitre, Thompson
IR Dobbins, Dulcich
Taxi- Kincaid, QJohnston

Spongehack
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Spongehack » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:36 pm

:wall: That's a HUGE risk for the former DJ owner. Only time will tell...
12 Team (2014 Champ, 2016 2nd, 2021 Champ) 1.0 PPR, 1.5 TE, Superflex, Start 9, 1-2 QB, 2-4 RB, 3-4 WR, 1-3 TE

QB - J. Hurts, M. Stafford, K. Cousins
RB - S. Barkley, D. Cook, E. Elliot, T. Pollard, A. Mattison
WR - D. Adams, DK Metcalf, A. Cooper, C. Ridley, R. Anderson, C. Davis, J. Jones
TE - M. Andrews, G. Kittle, M. Cox

Slackalacker
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Slackalacker » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:42 pm

Definitely not a trade to be appalled at, ESPECIALLY in favor of Hunt.

DJ side won by a mile but I understand the wide eyes of the DJ owner thinking "I just got a younger healthier new DJ for my team"

Not that I think that's the case but some people see it that way. Mostly people who don't understand how to value properly after two weeks.
TEAM 1 - 10 team SF 1PPR | 2017 & 2019 League Champ
1QB/1SF/2RB/2WR/1TE/2FLEX
QB: Dak - Hurts - DangeRuss - Tua - Z Wilson - Mills
RB: Barkley - Zeke - Sanders - Pollard - Patterson - D’Ernest - Jermar - Evans - Jones
WR: Hill - JJeff - Higgins - Hollywood - MThom(IR) - Godwin(IR) - E Moore - Marshall Jr - Calloway - Palmer - D Brown
TE: Hock - Moreau

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:46 pm

IR1 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:34 pm Would love to hear the thoughts of the two who voted Hunt
I will bite.

I have DJ in one league and Hunt in the other. In the league I have Hunt I would not trade him for DJ at this point.

I'm going to disagree with some here that say people overreact sometimes. While that's true, I also think in general people react too slowly in dynasty. It's kind of bizarre to watch someone's in-season dynasty rankings. They're almost always very similar to the pre-season rankings, but then suddenly in the next offseason they're completely different.

"It's just two games", I get it. But it's not just two games in a vacuum. Hunt passes the eye test with flying colors for me and has exactly what I look for in a back, but beyond that Andy Reid has a superb track record of finding talented backs in the middle round. It's not just that he gets to play in Reid's system, it's that Reid picked him (and traded up) right in a similar spot to where he picked several elite backs before, and Reid's choice is a major endorsement. On its own not necessarily a huge thing, but these things are adding up. Picked there by Reid, looks the part to our eyes, and has the production to match over two games. Not two games in a vacuum, two games verifying all of those things.

The other half of this is I think people are just ignoring that there is risk with DJ too. Less than Hunt of course, but enough that we shouldn't all be ignoring it. One year of elite fantasy production is far from any guarantee and history is literred with guys who were top 3 dynasty players after 1 year and then fell off precipitously. Arizona looks like they are really turning into a dumpster fire. As bad as it looks now, imagine next year with Palmer/Fitz likely gone. Sure, DJ is probably still good enough to get his, but probably not anywhere near the level of last year. Obviously, there is the 4 year age difference as well, at a position where value drops quickly with age.

Sure, it's risky to move a guy like DJ for Hunt, but the payoff is massive. What would a 22 year old Jamaal Charles be worth? A 22 year old Shady McCoy? A 22 year old Brian Westbrook? And before anyone says he's not as talented as those guys, he has similar draft pedigree and similarly passes the eye test (at least to me).

If Hunt finishes this year as the RB1 or even as a top 5 RB, what will his value be compared to David Johnson's when people start looking at DJ about to turn 27? Obviously whether or not Hunt can finish there is a big "if" but let's not pretend there isn't a big payoff here.

Hunt is kind of a weird player. It's hard to buy him because the price is so steep. But in leagues where I have him you'd have to pry him out of my cold dead hands. Maybe that will be a mistake in the end but I'm a risk taker in fantasy and this guy is the biggest potential payout that's ever been put in front of me and when I watch him he looks the part to me.

Obviously, talk of collusion is insane, but I'm putting all my eggs in that basket and either thriving or crashing on the back of Hunt personally. I'm sure there were people that thought it was insane to move Gurley for Zeke two games into last season as well.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:06 pm

I'm guessing the only rationale here is that Hunt will help a team in the 8-12 weeks Johnson won't. But long-term, I don't get it.

IR1
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby IR1 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:40 pm

Vcize wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:46 pm
IR1 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:34 pm Would love to hear the thoughts of the two who voted Hunt
I will bite.

I have DJ in one league and Hunt in the other. In the league I have Hunt I would not trade him for DJ at this point.

I'm going to disagree with some here that say people overreact sometimes. While that's true, I also think in general people react too slowly in dynasty. It's kind of bizarre to watch someone's in-season dynasty rankings. They're almost always very similar to the pre-season rankings, but then suddenly in the next offseason they're completely different.

"It's just two games", I get it. But it's not just two games in a vacuum. Hunt passes the eye test with flying colors for me and has exactly what I look for in a back, but beyond that Andy Reid has a superb track record of finding talented backs in the middle round. It's not just that he gets to play in Reid's system, it's that Reid picked him (and traded up) right in a similar spot to where he picked several elite backs before, and Reid's choice is a major endorsement. On its own not necessarily a huge thing, but these things are adding up. Picked there by Reid, looks the part to our eyes, and has the production to match over two games. Not two games in a vacuum, two games verifying all of those things.

The other half of this is I think people are just ignoring that there is risk with DJ too. Less than Hunt of course, but enough that we shouldn't all be ignoring it. One year of elite fantasy production is far from any guarantee and history is literred with guys who were top 3 dynasty players after 1 year and then fell off precipitously. Arizona looks like they are really turning into a dumpster fire. As bad as it looks now, imagine next year with Palmer/Fitz likely gone. Sure, DJ is probably still good enough to get his, but probably not anywhere near the level of last year. Obviously, there is the 4 year age difference as well, at a position where value drops quickly with age.

Sure, it's risky to move a guy like DJ for Hunt, but the payoff is massive. What would a 22 year old Jamaal Charles be worth? A 22 year old Shady McCoy? A 22 year old Brian Westbrook? And before anyone says he's not as talented as those guys, he has similar draft pedigree and similarly passes the eye test (at least to me).

If Hunt finishes this year as the RB1 or even as a top 5 RB, what will his value be compared to David Johnson's when people start looking at DJ about to turn 27? Obviously whether or not Hunt can finish there is a big "if" but let's not pretend there isn't a big payoff here.

Hunt is kind of a weird player. It's hard to buy him because the price is so steep. But in leagues where I have him you'd have to pry him out of my cold dead hands. Maybe that will be a mistake in the end but I'm a risk taker in fantasy and this guy is the biggest potential payout that's ever been put in front of me and when I watch him he looks the part to me.

Obviously, talk of collusion is insane, but I'm putting all my eggs in that basket and either thriving or crashing on the back of Hunt personally. I'm sure there were people that thought it was insane to move Gurley for Zeke two games into last season as well.
Was hoping to land Hunt in rookie drafts without success, so I understand the appeal. I also understand DJ may be out most/all this year, just seems like person sending DJ should have been able to get more to go with Hunt
10Team PPR-QB/RB/WR/WR/TE/PK/flex-DT/DE/DE/LB/LB/LB/CB/CB/S/S/flex
QB- Herbert, Tua
RB- Barkley, Swift, Montgomery, Dobbins, Walker
WR-Adams, ARSB, JWilliams, Godwin, Metcalf, Allen, Kirk, Flowers
TE- Kelce, Goedert
PK
DT- Buckner, Simmons, QWilliams,
DE- Hunter, JBosa, Thibodeaux, JPHillips, Rousseau, Paye, Greenard
LB- Edmunds, Warner, E Kendricks, Wagner, De"Vondre Campbell, Asamoah, Sanders
CB- Moore, Howard, Reed
S- Dugger, Pitre, Thompson
IR Dobbins, Dulcich
Taxi- Kincaid, QJohnston

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:05 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:06 pm I'm guessing the only rationale here is that Hunt will help a team in the 8-12 weeks Johnson won't. But long-term, I don't get it.
DJ is gonna sit out the whole year but still it's a bad trade.

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:07 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:06 pm I'm guessing the only rationale here is that Hunt will help a team in the 8-12 weeks Johnson won't. But long-term, I don't get it.
There are some pretty reasonable paths to Hunt having more consensus value than DJ as early as next offseason.

With Hunt's big start, he only needs to average 11ppg to finish as a top 10 RB (based on the number of points required to finish top 10 last year). 11ppg seems like his floor in PPR if he stays healthy just as the Chiefs' starting RB, even if he's not really any good.

He needs 17ppg to finish the season as a top 3 RB (again based on last year's numbers). With DJ out and Bell/Zeke off to a slow start, he'd probably need even less than that since it seems unlikely any of those guys are going to hit last year's numbers. He might only need as few as 15ppg the rest of the way to finish top 3, which is about what Latavius Murray averaged last year.

So if the latter happens, what is his value as an about to turn 23 years old RB coming off a top 3 finish? I think when people look at him side by side as 23 years old coming off that season next to DJ about to turn 27, the consensus is probably going to lean towards the 23 year old guy even if he's scoring a few less PPG. And that's of course assuming that DJ doesn't look worse at the end of this year than he did last year, which I think is very possible on this bad team.

Of course there is always the risk of Hunt being a pretender and fizzling out, but there is a not that difficult path to a strong RB1 finish in terms of stats, and that will leave him with a ton of value in the offseason.
Last edited by Vcize on Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert