Trade Complete: Kareem Hunt for David Johnson

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.

Who is worth more?

Kareem Hunt
12%
David Johnson
88%

Total votes: 52

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Trade Complete: Kareem Hunt for David Johnson

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:12 pm

Vcize wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:07 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:06 pm I'm guessing the only rationale here is that Hunt will help a team in the 8-12 weeks Johnson won't. But long-term, I don't get it.
There are some pretty reasonable paths to Hunt having more consensus value than DJ as early as next offseason.

With Hunt's big start, he only needs to average 11ppg to finish as a top 10 RB (based on the number of points required to finish top 10 last year). 11ppg seems like his floor in PPR if he stays healthy just as the Chiefs' starting RB, even if he's not really any good.

He needs 17ppg to finish the season as a top 3 RB (again based on last year's numbers). With DJ out and Bell/Zeke off to a slow start, he'd probably need even less than that since it seems unlikely any of those guys are going to hit last year's numbers.

So if the latter happens, what is his value as an about to turn 23 years old RB coming off a top 3 finish? I think when people look at him side by side as 23 years old coming off that season next to DJ about to turn 27, the consensus is probably going to lean towards the 23 year old guy even if he's scoring a few less PPG. And that's of course assuming that DJ doesn't look worse at the end of this year than he did last year, which I think is very possible on this bad team.

Of course there is always the risk of Hunt being a pretender and fizzling out, but there is a not that difficult path to a strong RB1 finish in terms of stats, and that will leave him with a ton of value in the offseason.
I feel like that's a lot to jump to after 2 games. While I do think Hunt is the real deal, he doesn't do anything better than Johnson. To me, that's the classic case of taking the shiny new toy over the proven stud.

Mephistopheles
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mephistopheles » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:15 pm

Holy bleep. I need to start shopping Hunt. This is insane, rookie fever at its finest.
My word, people, this is DJ and it's not even close.
Start of the season aside, I'd need at least 1 if not 2 first on top of Hunt just to have it enter my mind to move DJ.
Last edited by Mephistopheles on Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PSA - Haggling is NOT the same as negotiating.

saw061600
Legend
Legend

Postby saw061600 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:16 pm

I would like this trade had DJ blew up his knee. It's a freak wrist injury. DJ has demonstrated he can stand up to the workhorse level and the beating that comes with all those touches. Hunt looks great but can he take the beating?
10 TM No PPR or waiver 85RST
Herbert Fields Garoppolo Ridder
JT Barkley Etienne Ingram Charb CEH
Evans Aiyuk Dionte Jeudy London JWill GWils EMoore JMyers Mims Moorex2
Andrews Kinkaid Pits Freiermuth
NBosa Quinnen DJJones Clark F-Myers Taylor Graham
Darius Okereke Kendricks DCampbell DJones Baker Kiser Brooks
Adams Simmons Vaccaro Joseph

12 TM .5ppr 45 RST
Herbert Stroud Mayfield
JT Achane Kamara Ford Pacheco Jaleel
AJB DK Godwin Aiyuk Kirk ZJones RMoore Thornton
Hock F-muth
LWilliams Payne Reed Greenard
Bernard Kendricks Warner Baker Williams Tranquil
Budda McKinney Clark Wilson

1-2QB 2-4RB 3-5WR 1-3TE 11OFF/DEF
Herbert Stafford Brock Dobbs
Taylor Jacobs Mattison Kyren Jaleel Ford Bigsby
AJB Diggs Evans Kirk McLaurin Dionte Boyd Renfrow JuJu
Kelce Pitts Deguara
Hutchinson Rousseau Greenard Travon Demarcus
QWilliams EJones TBernard Dean ShaqT Kyzir
Amos Bates Peppers Murray Fitz Clark

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:31 pm

This is crazy to me.
I get it that Hunt has had a good start but watch the game.. Hunt is not close to DJ.

vixen
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby vixen » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:58 pm

8 vet keeper, 4 rookie keeper,

i think the 4 rookie keeper part of this league is key to owner trading for hunt....i suppose i would consider the trade if i thought it was the difference between a super bowl contender and a losing season
team 1 -start QB RB 2WR TE 2RB/WR 1WR/TE
qbs=5pt tds wr/te=1 ppr rbs=.5ppr all get .25ppc
Watson, Brady, Mills
Ekeler, Hunt, Carson/Penny, DForeman, Mitchell, CPat, Kyren, Ford, KHarris
Cooper, sutton, Chase, Shepard, Atwell, Schwartz, Wan'Dale, Austin III
Gesicki, Engram, Hooper, Woods
team 2 -start QB 2RB 3WR TE 2Flex K D
Cousins, Stafford
DH JT, Ekeler, Kylin Hill, Herbert, KHarris, Chandler
Hopkins, Diggs, Adams, Godwin, McLaurin, Callaway, DPJ, Robby Anderson, Schwartz, Pierce, Wan'Dale, Doubs
Kelce, Andrews, Jacob Harris

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:19 pm

saw061600 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:16 pm I would like this trade had DJ blew up his knee. It's a freak wrist injury. DJ has demonstrated he can stand up to the workhorse level and the beating that comes with all those touches. Hunt looks great but can he take the beating?
DJ has started 17 games and he has had 2 fairly major injuries in that time. We just got lucky that last year it occurred in week 17 so he didn't miss any games for it.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:24 pm

SCYCPA wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:15 pm Holy bleep. I need to start shopping Hunt. This is insane, rookie fever at its finest.
My word, people, this is DJ and it's not even close.
Start of the season aside, I'd need at least 1 if not 2 first on top of Hunt just to have it enter my mind to move DJ.
By all means, offer it up. There are a lot of DJ owners that will take it, and it would be another good data point for us on whether he accepts or not. Win/win.
Last edited by Vcize on Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:25 pm

Phaded wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:31 pm This is crazy to me.
I get it that Hunt has had a good start but watch the game.. Hunt is not close to DJ.
And a year ago people would have said "DJ is not close to Gurley".

There are a lot of different versions of talent. Hunt is only 22 and he already has elite leg strength and elite instincts/vision.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:31 pm

vixen wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:58 pm 8 vet keeper, 4 rookie keeper,

i think the 4 rookie keeper part of this league is key to owner trading for hunt....i suppose i would consider the trade if i thought it was the difference between a super bowl contender and a losing season
So how does that work? The 4 rookies don't count toward the 8 other keepers?

I am still taking DJ here, but I can understand it. Hunt looks to be a perfect back for his situation, and this year is still the most important year for most teams. I don't understand how it would cause any sort of scandal either way though. As someone mentioned above, DJ had a wrist inury. It isn't going to affect his performance when he comes back.
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

chalorpas
Role Player
Role Player

Postby chalorpas » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:39 am

jtd1387 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:31 pm

I am still taking DJ here, but I can understand it. Hunt looks to be a perfect back for his situation, and this year is still the most important year for most teams. I don't understand how it would cause any sort of scandal either way though. As someone mentioned above, DJ had a wrist inury. It isn't going to affect his performance when he comes back.
Yep, the 4 rookies don't count toward the 8 other keepers. The team who traded for Hunt has the best team in the league easily so from his perspective it made sense.

Oddball456
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Oddball456 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:28 am

jtd1387 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:31 pm

I totally agree. If I had DJ and was thin at RB now and a Hunt offer came in, I would be very happy. Could save my season, Hunt has looked great and in a offense that features a work horse back. As others have already mentioned: if Hunt finishes top 3 at RB this year (which barring injure of course) looks like he could pretty easy, at age 22, in a perfect situation, what will his value be next year? Plus, you get all of 2017 of stud RB production.

I think overall the trade is pretty even and am actually surprised people think that it crazy at all, either way.

Balzac
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Balzac » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:24 am

Vcize wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:25 pm
Phaded wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:31 pm This is crazy to me.
And a year ago people would have said "DJ is not close to Gurley".

There are a lot of different versions of talent. Hunt is only 22 and he already has elite leg strength and elite instincts/vision.
I don't think that is technically true. Their values were much closer than now but I still think David had gained the edge at this point.

I think your point still stands that it can change in a blink. I just wouldn't say Hunt should be valued more than Johnson. Johnson got hurt so there is a lot of bias leaning on this trade. A healthy David Johnson should be valued much higher than Hunt even if he is gaining ground every day. This is dynasty injuries shouldnt have that much effect on value.
10 Team TE Premium, Dynasty Year 6 - (1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 1TE, 3FLEX, 1K, 1DEF)
http://www57.myfantasyleague.com/2017/o ... =07&F=0002

12 Team .5PPR, Dynasty Year 4 - (1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 3FLEX)
https://www66.myfantasyleague.com/2017/ ... =07&F=0011