Tyrod Taylor - How Worried Should I Be?

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Re: Tyrod Taylor - How Worried Should I Be?

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:10 pm

Space Cowboy wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:28 pm Taylor is a nice player and a starting caliber QB, but he's way too up and down to be trusted as anything more than a mid range qb2.

*cue the he finished top 10 last year response*

How many teams won championships with Tyrod starting?
I have one that did :D

*Splitting with Rivers, but I had Taylor in for all 3 playoff weeks.
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:32 pm

Goddard wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:49 pm
Space Cowboy wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:39 pm
Goddard wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:38 pm

Probably more than teams starting Goff, Manning, Bradford, Flacco, or Smith.
Those are all QB2's.
Those are the options the OP asked if he should trade Tyrod for. I can't imagine any of them were winning teams championships last year, more than Tyrod was.
The talk of 2016 championships is pretty irrelevant. Tyrod is in a bad situation even if the personnel isn't significantly downgraded for 2017 as Watkins wasn't a factor last season either. The team has pretty much shown it's colors, and they're tearing things down to rebuild. If this wasn't the case, Boldin would likely still be playing. They're at the beginning of that process, and it doesn't appear they view Tyrod as a cornerstone. On the other hand Goff just might be, so that's where I'd take my chances.

I won't judge his potential based on a rookie season playing in a joke of an NFL offense. I expect better things this year with better coaches and coordinators.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:58 am

Space Cowboy wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:28 pm Taylor is a nice player and a starting caliber QB, but he's way too up and down to be trusted as anything more than a mid range qb2.
Take a look at all of the top 10 QBs. You could describe nearly every single one of them as "way too up and down". Tyrod is not unique in this capacity. I cut my leagues way back this off season but last year I owned him in every league I was in. He was no less of a weekly starter than the likes of a Russell Wilson, Cam Newton, Andrew Luck, and plenty of others.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:22 am

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:32 pm
Goddard wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:49 pm
Space Cowboy wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:39 pm

Those are all QB2's.
Those are the options the OP asked if he should trade Tyrod for. I can't imagine any of them were winning teams championships last year, more than Tyrod was.
The talk of 2016 championships is pretty irrelevant. Tyrod is in a bad situation even if the personnel isn't significantly downgraded for 2017 as Watkins wasn't a factor last season either. The team has pretty much shown it's colors, and they're tearing things down to rebuild. If this wasn't the case, Boldin would likely still be playing. They're at the beginning of that process, and it doesn't appear they view Tyrod as a cornerstone. On the other hand Goff just might be, so that's where I'd take my chances.

I won't judge his potential based on a rookie season playing in a joke of an NFL offense. I expect better things this year with better coaches and coordinators.
2016 championships are irrelevant, but I was responding to something the other poster said regarding how many championships Tyrod helped win last year.

As for Goff, it's fair if you don't want to judge his potential on a rookie season, but what are you judging it off? If you're lucky, he becomes what Tyrod has already been, and I haven't seen anything thus far that tells me he can be that. As for Tyrod himself, I would hope Buffalo lets him go at the end of the year or trades him this year so he can go to a much better situation.

dizzler
Role Player
Role Player

Postby dizzler » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:12 pm

I'm keeping Tyrod. They may have traded Watkins but the man still has his cleats and feet and that's where he shines the most out of the other QB's listed by the OP
Team 1 - Super Kamario Bros (12 Team - PPR) ( QB -1 , RB -2 , WR - 2, Te -1, FLX - 1, SuperFLX - 1, DP - 2, K- 1)
QB -Wentz, Newton, Ryan, Haskins (R)
RB -Zeke, Kamara, Drake, Ballage; Thompson, Ajayi
WR - D Hopkins, Julio, A. Miller, Coutee, AJ Brown (R) , Marvin Jones, Mclaurin (R),
Te -Delanie, Ebron, Oliver (R)
2020:3, 4, 4, 4, 5, 5
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Kerryon Luggage (12 Team - 2TE PPR) ( QB -1 , RB -2 , WR - 2, Te -2, FLX - 1, SuperFLX - 1, DP - 2, K- 1)
QB - Jimmy G, Josh Allen, Mariota
RB - Kerryon, Jamaal Will, Drake, Ballage, Miles Sanders (R), Justice Hill (R), Myles Gaskins (R)
Wr - Micheal Thomas, Zay Jones, Curtis Samuel, Crowder, Coutee, Aj Brown (R), Marquise Brown (R), Keesean Johnson (R), Kelvin Harmon (R)
Te- Engram, Oj Howard, Josh Oliver (R)
2020: 3,3,3, 5

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:39 pm

Goddard wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:22 am 2016 championships are irrelevant, but I was responding to something the other poster said regarding how many championships Tyrod helped win last year.

As for Goff, it's fair if you don't want to judge his potential on a rookie season, but what are you judging it off? If you're lucky, he becomes what Tyrod has already been, and I haven't seen anything thus far that tells me he can be that. As for Tyrod himself, I would hope Buffalo lets him go at the end of the year or trades him this year so he can go to a much better situation.
It's a very limited sample size, but I'm basing my optimism on how he's looked in this re-vamped offense thus far. Week 3 of the preseason should be a good look at what the Rams want to do, and we'll see if they're successful or not. As I mentioned, the offense actually looks NFL calibre as opposed to what the team was doing under Fisher and Company's "leadership". Maybe I'm overvaluing the youth of Goff versus the experience of TT though?

And I don't ever expect Goff to be what Tyrod is since they're obviously totally different QB's. I'm of the opinion that Goff is the superior passer, while Tyrod can create more with his legs. Agreed that Taylor needs a change of scenery, and with the lack of talented QB's in the league I think he'll get a chance to start elsewhere, or at least compete for a job in 2018. Nothing Buffalo has done suggests that they'll extend TT after this season.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:22 pm

Goff is looking pretty good ...

I traded for Tyrod this offseason, mainly because I owned Sammy and wanted some start spots with a QB/WR stack .. I was very disappointed with the Sammy trade and I have not been too happy with Tyrod staying in the pocket .. if they want him to be more traditional and they lose the roll outs .. I think his production will drop dramatically . but that's my opinion. I am hanging onto him since he is my QB2 and won't need him much, but if he was my #1 I'd start making plans..
@PlankMelody

smallxl
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby smallxl » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:35 pm

Maybe Goff ...thats about it
22-man, 12-team, 1 pt-PPR; Start 1-2RB; 3-4 WR; 1-2 TE

TEAM 1
QB: Prescott, Foles
RB: Barkley, P Barber, Duke, Gio Bernard, Gus, C Thompson, Breida, Ekeler
WR: A Cooper, Cooks, Lockett, C. Davis, Crowder, Chark, Stills
TE: OJ Howard

smallxl
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby smallxl » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:45 pm

Very worried
22-man, 12-team, 1 pt-PPR; Start 1-2RB; 3-4 WR; 1-2 TE

TEAM 1
QB: Prescott, Foles
RB: Barkley, P Barber, Duke, Gio Bernard, Gus, C Thompson, Breida, Ekeler
WR: A Cooper, Cooks, Lockett, C. Davis, Crowder, Chark, Stills
TE: OJ Howard

Fantasy>>>Reality
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Fantasy>>>Reality » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:00 pm

cvbuc wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:25 pm
Goddard wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:58 pm I'd rather have Tyrod over those other guys by a good amount. Not sure why his value would take a hit this year. Watkins missed time frequently, so he's used to playing without him. You can argue that since Watkins missed so many games, they actually upgraded in weapons with the additions of Zay and Jmatt. Also, Tryod's value comes from his rushing stats, which shouldn't change this year.
Or in other words... this.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
25 Man Roster
12 team Superflex
.5ppr
Start 1QB, 1SF, 2RB, 2WR, 1Flex, 1TE
QB: Murray, Burrow, Cousins, Willis
RB: Najee, Gibson, Ken Walker, Miles Sanders, Darrel Williams
WR: Chase, CeeDee, Godwin, Mooney, Osborne, Eli Moore, Hardman, Ty Johnson
TE: Goedert, Trautman, Conklin, B Jordan
2023-1st x 2
2023- 3rd x 3

killionb
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby killionb » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:38 pm

Looks like I started some pretty good debate on this one. One concern I have with Tyrod is his long-term outlook beyond this year. Seems like with the Bills in rebuilding mode that they have a very good chance if drafting a QB in the first round of the 2018 QB heavy draft class. So I'm more worried about his long-term floor compared to the others I listed.

esloan35
All Pro
All Pro

Postby esloan35 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:24 am

I have Tyrod sitting behind Luck on a team (Watson on the TS). I am going to ride him out and see what happens. He has the talent to get another shot if the Bills pass on him IMO. If I was going to chase any of those for him I would probably go Goff. I see that rams team getting a little better in the NFC West this year as the Cards are sliding a bit.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:00 am

killionb wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:38 pm Looks like I started some pretty good debate on this one. One concern I have with Tyrod is his long-term outlook beyond this year. Seems like with the Bills in rebuilding mode that they have a very good chance if drafting a QB in the first round of the 2018 QB heavy draft class. So I'm more worried about his long-term floor compared to the others I listed.
His current deal has only $1 million of his salary guaranteed for next season so the Bills could cut him at minimal cost. If that happens, you can bet he's getting signed immediately to start somewhere else. He's an upgrade to more than half the QBs in the league - at a minimum - including every QB on this list.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Han
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Han » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:10 am

I would consider Goff but that's probably it if I knew I wasn't winning this year.
QB (1) - A.Rodgers,J.Love,W.Levis,B.Mayfield,Darnold,J.Brisset,Corral
RB (2) - Bijan,Charbonnet,R. Mostert, Zeke, Allgeier,K. Hunt,Hubbard, J.Ford, M. Gaskin
WR (2) - Nuk, M. Evans ,OBJ, T.Thornton, P. Nacua, K Boutte, P. Campbell Zaccheaus,W Fuller, Cobb, T.Patrick
TE (1) - Schultz, Hooper,Kmet,T.Kraft
SFlex (2) - any qb/rb/wr/te

0.25 PPR
12 team league, 37 player rosters + IR, 5 round rookie draft each year.

killionb
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby killionb » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:54 pm

It seems like the consensus of this thread is either keep Tyrod or trade him for Goff. What about Manning, though? He's got some good weapons this year and with a bad running game might throw the ball more than ever. Plus he never gets injured. I worry about running quarterbacks like Tyrod getting injured.