James Conner

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
RightlegTucker
All Pro
All Pro

Re: James Conner

Postby RightlegTucker » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:27 pm

2014 James Conner could've been a 1st round pick in rookie drafts, he was noticeably slower last year. People drafting him should be doing so with the hope that he returns to form and gets an opportunity down the road rather than for his current situation.

smallxl
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby smallxl » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:50 pm

AresGodOWar wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:57 am What are you guys paying for him in picks and where do you see him going in drafts ?

Is he even close to someone like Meredith or C.Coleman's value
Not close to those two but a definite stash if you have room
22-man, 12-team, 1 pt-PPR; Start 1-2RB; 3-4 WR; 1-2 TE

TEAM 1
QB: Prescott, Foles
RB: Barkley, P Barber, Duke, Gio Bernard, Gus, C Thompson, Breida, Ekeler
WR: A Cooper, Cooks, Lockett, C. Davis, Crowder, Chark, Stills
TE: OJ Howard

cc texan
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby cc texan » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:49 pm

AresGodOWar wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:18 pm
ThatGuyBrian wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:44 pm
AresGodOWar wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:28 pm Sounds good thank you I think he is just getting over hyped because Bell has a injury suspension past but I think even if something happens to Bell he won't be a every down starter he wasn't that good in college maybe he will get just short yard carries if Bell goes down
The Steelers invested a 3rd round pick in him which basically means they feel he may become a full time back should something happen to Bell. The problem is Deangelo Williams is still a free agent and could return to the team or Bell could re-sign with the Steelers basically making Connor a long term back up.

Does he have talent? Yes but he is stuck behind a top 3 running back, who yes has a problem with injuries and drugs on occasion. Like I said earlier if you can get him in the third that would be a solid pick. Basically his future is determined by what Bell does, and that is the bottom line on Connor.
Honestly I don't think he has that much talent I think they over reached for a hometown cancer winner feel good story because he wasn't that special in college
He was getting treated for cancer in 2015 and was still recovering last year. Even with that he put up 1400 combined yds and 20 tds in 2016. He went for over 1800 yds and 26 tds the last season he was completely healthy.
12 Team IDP. QB:1 / RB:1-3 / WR:2-5 / TE:1-3 / DL:2-4 / LB:2-4 / DB:2-4
QB: Newton, Rivers
RB: Hyde, Gordon, Martin, Dixon, Prosise, Williams (GB), Connor
WR: Beckham, Parker, White, Ty Williams, Doctson, Schuster-Smith, Boyd
TE: Thomas, Howard, Everett
DL: Cox, Fowler, Clark
LB: Alonso, Kendricks, Mack, Hicks, Kirksey, Mercilus, Ray
DB: Ryan, B Jones
Devy: Bryan Edwards

Minnkota
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Minnkota » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:23 pm

I am a believer. I got him in 2 leagues with late 2nds, which is usually getting close to dart throw territory anyway. Sometimes you just have to take your guys.
12 Team, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1FLEX (ppr) 30 man
QB-Rivers, Smith
RB-Gurley, Kerryon, DFreeman, CJ Anderson, Burkhead, Ware, Jonathan Williams, Carson, Kelly
WR-Evans, Cooks, Keenan, Diggs, Fuller, Miller, Meredith, J Gordon, JBrown, Hollins, Watson, Chadwill
TE-Gronk, Engram, Hurst, Seals-Jones

12 Team--1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1FLEX (ppr) 30 man
QB-Big Ben, Dalton
RB-Freeman, Ingram, Hyde, Gallman, Richard
WR-Evans, Arob, Golladay, CDavis, Marv. Jones, Gordon, Meredith, Gabriel, Richardson, Reynolds, Watson
TE-Kelce, Burton, Butt,

Sgtpsych
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Sgtpsych » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:27 pm

I like him and believe,in his ability to be a starting RB. Plus best selling rookie jersey.
Team 1-
12 team standard dynasty 6 pt - td, .1 per rushing yd, .1 per receiving yd. .04 per passing yd , 24 player roster
1 qb, 2 RB, 2 wr, 1 TE, 2 flex
QB-Russell Wilson, Tom Brady
RB-Leonard Fournette, Joe Mixon, Kareem Hunt,Thomas Rawls,Jerick McKinnon, Chris Carson, TJ Yeldon, Aaron Jones
WR-OBJ, AJG, NUK, ARob, Mike Williams, Josh Gordon, Marqise Lee, Willie Snead
TE- Jimmy Graham, Coby Fleener, George Kittle, Tyler Kroft
K- Harrison Butker
D-Carolina Panthers, Jags
2018 1st and 4th

Team 2-
QB- Winston, Prescott, Flacco
RB- Freeman, Fournette, Montgomery, Murray, Yeldon, Hightower, Washington, Procise, Lacy, Starks, Conner
WR- NUK, Doctson, Ross, Aghlor, Treadwell
TE - Engram, Davis
D- Giants,Chiefs
K- Gostkowski

dipANDglide
All Pro
All Pro

Postby dipANDglide » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:30 pm

I was snatching him up in the mid 3rd in my early drafts. I'm seeing him go in the mid-late 2nd in a lot of my later drafts now. If he is indeed Bell's backup, he is a bargain in the 3rd, there are too many guys I still like in the 2nd to take him there.

Pantherbro13
Starter
Starter

Postby Pantherbro13 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:07 am

I took him in both my rookie drafts. First I got him at 3.8 and second I got at 3.3. He could be a career backup but I can afford the risk in case Bell doesn't sign long term. Worst case I try to ship him off to the Bell owner in a year or two.
12 team PPR/40 player roster/5 round rookie draft

QB
- Josh Allen/Anthony Richardson/Gardner Minshew
RB - Bijan Robinson/Javonte Williams/Joe Mixon/Brian Robinson/Kendre Miller/Chase Brown
WR - Ja’Marr Chase/DJ Moore/DeVonta Smith/Zay FlowersJosh Downs/Tank Dell/Skyy Moore/Dontayvion Wicks/Trey Palmer
TE - TJ Hockenson/Sam LaPorta/Cole Kmet
K - Harrison Butker
DL - Myles Garrett/Jeffrey Simmons/Brian Burns/Christian Barmore/Ed Oliver
LB - Shaq Thompson/Ivan Pace Jr/Pete Werner/Christian Harris/Blake Cashman/Micah McFadden
DB - Kyle Hamilton/Jevon Holland/Reed Blankenship/Kyle Dugger/Dax Hill/Jalen Thompson/Amani Hooker
IR -
TS - Isaiah Likely/Isaiah Spiller/Xavier Gipson

2024 Draft picks - 1st (x2), 2nd (x4), 3rd, 4th
2025 Draft picks - 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th

jeffster
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby jeffster » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:01 am

The difference in tone on Conner is striking. He went in the third round, not too far after Kamara, Hunt and Foreman, and before Periene, Mack and Joe Williams, who all went in the 4th. And yet at least three of those guys frequently breach the late 1st round in drafts, and all of them are solidly in the 2nd round.

But the guy who was drafted similarly, has crazy good size, and is on a super productive offense behind a guy with multiple suspensions and injuries entering a contract year can barely make it into the 3rd?

I know his athleticism is questionable. Is that the only thing driving this?

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:53 pm

skip wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:36 pm
AresGodOWar wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:32 pm idk about that DJ , Howard , Ajayi were all handcuffs plus many many more than I don't feel like going through lol
There is a marked difference between RBs drafted with the intention to take over the starting job (that doesn't mean out of the gate) and RBs drafted strictly as backups. DJ and Howard were drafted to be starters. Ajayi probably so as well as it seemed pretty clear Miami was not using Miller to the fullest extent. Conner is nothing more than a backup. He is in no way to the talent level of Bell that he is going to walk into a job if Bell leaves.
I like a lot of what you've got to say Skip, but have to disagree with you on this a bit. NFL teams generally don't spend third-round picks on players they project as merely backups.

And as for the above, DJ was also a third-rounder. Both Howard and Ajayi were fifth-rounders, and that's not often where starting calibre RB's are taken. Even with the way the position has been devalued the last few years. Now I'm not saying that Conner is even remotely close to DJ talent-wise. But the draft capital Pittsburgh used to select him indicates they're pretty high on him.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:49 pm

An ankle injury to bell and Connor is getting 15+ touches and is approaching rb1. He's well worth a third round pick.

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:50 pm

jeffster wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:01 am The difference in tone on Conner is striking. He went in the third round, not too far after Kamara, Hunt and Foreman, and before Periene, Mack and Joe Williams, who all went in the 4th. And yet at least three of those guys frequently breach the late 1st round in drafts, and all of them are solidly in the 2nd round.

But the guy who was drafted similarly, has crazy good size, and is on a super productive offense behind a guy with multiple suspensions and injuries entering a contract year can barely make it into the 3rd?

Very good points. He's just not flashy and the 40 time I'm sure scares some ppl.

Jmatt>Coleman
Starter
Starter

Postby Jmatt>Coleman » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:02 pm

I would feel good drafting him anywhere in the third, late second a reach but Bell isn't someone I would bet a lot of money on to play 16 games a year
12 team superflex qb/rb/rb/wr/wr/wr/te/flex/superflex
Starters in caps.
QB: DAK, BLAKE
Rb: BARKLEY, 4NETTE, HENRY, Yeldon, J.Hill, M. Gillislee.
Wr: NUK, COOKS, AR15, FUNCHESS, Jmatt, Pryor, Boyd, M. Lee, Cole, K. Wright, E. Decker
TE: ENGRAM, Olsen, Ebron

2018 1.12
2019 1,2, 2, 4

16 team superflex
QB
RB
WR
TE

harr
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby harr » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:21 pm

Space Cowboy wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:50 pm
jeffster wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:01 am The difference in tone on Conner is striking. He went in the third round, not too far after Kamara, Hunt and Foreman, and before Periene, Mack and Joe Williams, who all went in the 4th. And yet at least three of those guys frequently breach the late 1st round in drafts, and all of them are solidly in the 2nd round.

Very good points. He's just not flashy and the 40 time I'm sure scares some ppl.
I agree. Bell isn't going to be in Pittsburgh after next season if he doesn't come off his strong stance on what he feels he is worth. The Steelers won't pay him that type of money, regardless of whether he is "worth" it or not. Conner isn't flashy, just super productive (5.6 ypc avg in college, mostly between the tackles). He isn't athletically gifted the way Bell or similar guys are, but he is a hard worker that has underrated receiving ability, in my opinion.
@BrianHarrFF

hjernazian
Captain
Captain

Postby hjernazian » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:26 am

skip wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:36 pm
AresGodOWar wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:32 pm idk about that DJ , Howard , Ajayi were all handcuffs plus many many more than I don't feel like going through lol
There is a marked difference between RBs drafted with the intention to take over the starting job (that doesn't mean out of the gate) and RBs drafted strictly as backups. DJ and Howard were drafted to be starters. Ajayi probably so as well as it seemed pretty clear Miami was not using Miller to the fullest extent. Conner is nothing more than a backup. He is in no way to the talent level of Bell that he is going to walk into a job if Bell leaves.
fair point... but using that stream of logic, was K. Drake drafted to be a backup? Or was he stuck behind Ajayi? He looks even better than Ajayi. Not saying Conner is Drake - but the Steelers investing a 3rd in him has to say something about how the experts value him... weather or not he's stuck behind Bell forever or not.
Team 1

Superflex, 1.0 point PPR

QB: P. Mahomes $5, C. Newton $20, B. Mayfield $2, D. Brees
RB: D. Johnson $54, N. Chubb $4, T. Coleman $4, D. Henry $14, I. Crowell $3, J. Richard $9, J. Adams $3
WR: A. Robinson $41, T.Y. Hilton $24, J. Landry $25, C. Davis $4, C. Godwin $4, D. Hamilton $3, K. Cole, S. Shephard $10
TE: E. Engram $4, D. Njoku $2, K. Rudolph $3, V. McDonald $4
K/DEF: Irrelevant

2019: 2.04, 2.05, 2.06, 3.06, 4.06

Team 2

Start: 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 RB/WR/TE - 25 man roster + 4 TAXI

QB: T. Brady, M. Ryan, N. Foles
RB: K. Hunt, C. McCaffrey, D. Johnson, T. Coleman, S. Ware, D. Williams, Ito Smith, D. Sproles
WR: AJ Green, A. Robinson, A. Thielen, E. Sanders, G. Tate, S. Roberts
TE: J. Reed, J. Butt, M. Roberts, V. Davis, M. Williams
TAXI: S. Darnold, D. Fountain, D. Cain, Jaleel Scott