Tyrell for Docston?

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.

Tyrell Williams or Josh Doctson?

Tyrell Williams
39%
Josh Doctson
61%

Total votes: 38

albedo1986
Role Player
Role Player

Tyrell for Docston?

Postby albedo1986 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:22 am

Hey all. Done with a startup recently and there has been little to no trade activity but I have an offer as listed:

Tyrell Williams for Josh Doctson straight up.

Sorry haven't added my team to my sig yet but curious in general what you think the values are here. Tyrell is probably my current WR 4/5. I have a lot of faith in Tyrell now and long term (believer status) but know that Doctson was a top talent coming out of college. Am I falling into a pedigree trap? Thanks!

Should have mentioned. Full PPR league, 1QB, 2RBs, 2WRs, 4Flex, 1 TE.

**Edit** Added sig finally!
Last edited by albedo1986 on Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kramer
MVP
MVP

Re: Tyrell for Docston?

Postby Kramer » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:26 am

I think they're fairly close. Tyrell will produce at least early in the season whereas Doctson still needs to carve his role out in Washington and could take time to get there and might not until next year. Having said that, I would take Doctson ahead of Tyrell at this point.
10 team SF .5ppr-QB,2RB,3WR,TE,Flex,SF,Def (30 spots)
QB: Allen, AR, Brissett
RB: Mixon,Barkley,Rhamondre,Foreman
WR: Deebo,Adams,Jeudy, Devonta,Nuk
TE: Knox,Chig, Woods, Ferguson
2023 picks: 2, 3, 6, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14, 18, 19, 20
2024 picks: 3 2nds
2025 picks: 3 2nds

SteveMaddensShoes
Legend
Legend

Postby SteveMaddensShoes » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:39 am

Doctson for value and for upside
TEAM 1 - 12 man SF. ppr, TEP 1.65 ppr

11 starters - QB, RB(2) WR(3) TE, SF, Flex(3)

Stroud, Kyler, Bryce Young, Anthony Richardson, Minshew, Trey Lance, Dalton l, Mike White

Breece, Achane, AJ Dillon, Justice Hill, Evan Hull, Chris Rodgriquez

Chase, Lamb, Waddle, Olave, London Drake, Demario Davis, Jake Bobo

Kyle Pitts, Mark Andrews, Kincaid, Schoonmaker

24 picks - 1x2, 3,4,5

Team 2-
12 man SF, .25ppc, .5ppr rbs, 1 ppr wr, 1.5 ppr TE

Joe Burrow, Trevor Lawerence, Jake Haehner, Jake Browning

JT, Kendre Miller,, K Ingram, Ty Chandler, Michael Carter, Kenny Macintosh, Sean Tucker

Puka, Rondale, Mooney, Wan’dale, Terrace Marshall, DPJ, Justyn Ross, Xavier Hutchinson,

Kyle Pitts, Luke Musgrave, Juwan Johnson, Darnell Washington, Jelani Woods, Elijah Higgins

24 - 1st x 3, 2nd x 2, 4th x 3 ,5

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:44 am

I like both players a great deal. I'm more concerned about the depth at WR around Doctson that may inhibit his production even though he's a great talent. With Mike Williams out for the year, Tyrell is in a good position to lead the Chargers in receiving. I'd hang onto Tyrell for now.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Kramer
MVP
MVP

Postby Kramer » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:47 am

skip wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:44 am I like both players a great deal. I'm more concerned about the depth at WR around Doctson that may inhibit his production even though he's a great talent. With Mike Williams out for the year, Tyrell is in a good position to lead the Chargers in receiving. I'd hang onto Tyrell for now.
Is Mike out for the year? I thought that he didn't require surgery anymore. If he is out for the year or gets placed on the PUP list to start the regular season, I agree with keeping Tyrell.

OP, it might help more if you listed your team. We could see what kind of depth you have.
10 team SF .5ppr-QB,2RB,3WR,TE,Flex,SF,Def (30 spots)
QB: Allen, AR, Brissett
RB: Mixon,Barkley,Rhamondre,Foreman
WR: Deebo,Adams,Jeudy, Devonta,Nuk
TE: Knox,Chig, Woods, Ferguson
2023 picks: 2, 3, 6, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14, 18, 19, 20
2024 picks: 3 2nds
2025 picks: 3 2nds

Alex116
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Alex116 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:52 am

I believe at minimum, Williams will start on the PUP.

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:57 am

Kramer wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:47 am
skip wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:44 am I like both players a great deal. I'm more concerned about the depth at WR around Doctson that may inhibit his production even though he's a great talent. With Mike Williams out for the year, Tyrell is in a good position to lead the Chargers in receiving. I'd hang onto Tyrell for now.
Is Mike out for the year? I thought that he didn't require surgery anymore. If he is out for the year or gets placed on the PUP list to start the regular season, I agree with keeping Tyrell.
I've seen nothing that states he is out for the year. Rather that 3 or 4 weeks ago the team was concerned that surgery might be required, but since his epidural things have improved. It doesn't mean he's out of the woods, as the back could flare up at any time. But for now, it is expected that Williams will participate in training camp.

An instance of Rap Sheet looking to break the story first. Even if the story isn't completely accurate.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:01 pm

OP, it might help more if you listed your team. We could see what kind of depth you have.
That was the last I had seen. Didn't see the updated report. I'm not convinced he's that big of a factor to impact Tyrell anyway but the Keenan fans don't like the suggestion he loses targets to anyone.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

albedo1986
Role Player
Role Player

Postby albedo1986 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:35 pm

I agree, I don't see Mike Williams doing anything to Tyrell this year anyways. Tyrell was able to spend the entire season building chemistry with Phillip and it's clear they have it. Even with Keenan coming back, I see Tyrell doing very well this year. I'm honestly not much of a believer in Mike Williams despite the injury, and his set back has all but ensured this year won't matter (in my op). Last I heard was he would be in training camp on the PUP. If they rush him into anything after having 2 back issues I would say they're insane, they just spent massive draft capitol and see him turn into the next Kevin White would be absolutely embarrassing for the bolts (as everyone already thought the move was a massive reach)

This is also a contract year for Tyrell, which could make this very interesting. He's massive underpaid for what he did last year and he's shown he's hungry. If given the opportunity I see him delivering to increase his salary as a free agent in 2018. Where he goes, or if he stays will likely make a huge impact in his dynasty stock. Whereas we know what Doctson will be doing next year - we sure as hell don't know what Cousins will be doing next year. This is where all of my hesitation comes from.

albedo1986
Role Player
Role Player

Postby albedo1986 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:35 pm

Sorry Kramer it should be listed in my sig as of now.

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:07 pm

I'd take the upside of Doctson.

TTHTD
Captain
Captain

Postby TTHTD » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:18 pm

I own both and prefer Doctson, but only slightly. Tyrell will probably produce more this year and his floor is likely better but I think Doctson's upside and pedigree puts him a notch above for me.

doombringer
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby doombringer » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:20 pm

Keep the guy who is only 3 months older and has produced at a start-able level. His name is Tyrell Williams. I feel like Doctson is about a half a season away from possibly being forgotten. It just seems riskier to own Doctson to me because -

1. At best he is the wr3 on his own team this year, Not sure of Crowder's or Pryor's contracts but I feel like they are set for at least this season and next. So he is likely at best a wr3 again in his age 26 season...I don't know if he is a preferred buy at that point. Probably more likely to be someone I want to buy low at that point. He could be 27 by the time he is on the field for most 2 wide sets.

2. Cousins? I think Rivers is a Charger for life. He has proven to be able to supply wr's with points. I like Cousins to, but he really might be somewhere else by the time Doctson should be playing more.

3. Injury. Can be said about anyone but still... Maybe the idea of coming back from an injury before I even knew if you were good is the scariest part about investing in this player or any with the same situation.

TCU is one thing, the NFL is another. I would keep the guy who has done it before. Imagine if he does better this year? He will actually be worth something.
12 team, PPR Superflex, 1.5 TE premium, 6pt TDs, QB/RB/2WR/TE/3 Flex

Your Dad - 2015, 2017, 2018, & 2019 champion

QB: Mahomes, Watson, Roethlisberger, Rudolph, Brissett
RB: Barkley, Freeman, Coleman, Hunt, Lindsay, Thompson, Bonnafon, Homer
WR: Tyreek, Evans, Godwin, Ridley, Sutton, Pascal, Johnson, Gage, Stills
TE: Kelce, Andrews, Gesicki,

No picks - Always trade them for players

Win a lot. Lose more.

Cowboysfan33
Legend
Legend

Postby Cowboysfan33 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:39 pm

I voted for Doctson. I own both players on several teams and like both of them but Doctson was drafted to be a possible #1 WR and Pryor was only signed to a 1 year deal and even though I like Crowder too, he's a slot guy so if Doctson stays healthy he'll have every chance to be a big part of the future plans, the Skins didn't use a first rounder on him just for nothing. In the short term I think Williams will put up better numbers but this is dynasty so I have Doctson ranked a little higher.

albedo1986
Role Player
Role Player

Postby albedo1986 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:41 pm

doombringer wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:20 pm Keep the guy who is only 3 months older and has produced at a start-able level. His name is Tyrell Williams. I feel like Doctson is about a half a season away from possibly being forgotten. It just seems riskier to own Doctson to me because -

1. At best he is the wr3 on his own team this year, Not sure of Crowder's or Pryor's contracts but I feel like they are set for at least this season and next. So he is likely at best a wr3 again in his age 26 season...I don't know if he is a preferred buy at that point. Probably more likely to be someone I want to buy low at that point. He could be 27 by the time he is on the field for most 2 wide sets.

2. Cousins? I think Rivers is a Charger for life. He has proven to be able to supply wr's with points. I like Cousins to, but he really might be somewhere else by the time Doctson should be playing more.

3. Injury. Can be said about anyone but still... Maybe the idea of coming back from an injury before I even knew if you were good is the scariest part about investing in this player or any with the same situation.

TCU is one thing, the NFL is another. I would keep the guy who has done it before. Imagine if he does better this year? He will actually be worth something.
This basically mimics my thought process long and short term. I feel like if Tyrell can kill it again this year he will gain huge hype, and if I don't see myself making the playoffs I might be able to sell high on him to someone who has a real chance of a championship? Where someone might be very willing to part with a doctson-like player and more if they have a real shot.