Dynasty startup 3rd round

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.

Who should I take after Evans/Robinson?

Sammy Watkins
38%
Corey Davis
48%
Rob Gronkowski
14%

Total votes: 21

OCPunisher
Role Player
Role Player

Dynasty startup 3rd round

Postby OCPunisher » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:16 am

Hello friends,

I'm back with another tough choice for the third round of my startup league. I went Evans > Robinson in the first two rounds. Now I'm up in round three with a choice of Sammy Watkins, Corey Davis, or Rob Gronkowski. 12 team, 0.5 ppr, and most of the other owners are newer to the dynasty format (so a lot of RBs are already gone). I'm leaning towards Davis because a lot of people (myself included) see him as a glass cannon that will never actually get on the field. Heck, he might even be there in round 4!

Who should I take?
Team 1
10 team, PPR, 22-man rosters, 5 PS. 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 1PK 1DST
- QB: Herbert, Goff
- RB: Barkley, Jacobs, Achane, Akers, Dobbins, Gibson, Pacheco, Carter, Warren
- WR: AJB, Wilson, Olave, DJM, JSN, Pittman, Zay, Jameson, Godwin, Palmer
- TE: Andrews, Goedert, Freiermuth, Engram
2016 and 2018 champion! :dance: :biggrin: :clap:

Team 2
12 team, PPR, 40-man rosters, 1QB 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 3FLX
- QB: Herbert, Dalton, Minshew
- RB: Barkley, Swift, Herbert, JWilliams, Roschon, Zeke, KIngram, McFarland
- WR: Lamb, Waddle, DK, Aiyuk, MWilliams, Keenan, ARob, Woods
- TE: Andrews, Engram, Moreau, Trautman, Ruckert

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Dynasty startup 3rd round

Postby skip » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:22 am

Gronk wouldn't even be a consideration for me as I don't have him as the top rated TE anyway. My vote went to Watkins but I think it's an issue of preference for many. If I'm placing a lot of emphasis on injury concerns, then I understand avoiding Watkins. I like him because if he manages to remain healthy for a full year, I expect him to threaten as the #1 WR this year.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

spotxc
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby spotxc » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:23 am

What are some other options there, other wrs, rbs?

albedo1986
Role Player
Role Player

Postby albedo1986 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:26 am

Oh sweet jesus haha. I can't believe he made it.

Who the hell are you drafting with?! Rob AND Sammy? FFS.

msbutterfield885
Role Player
Role Player

Postby msbutterfield885 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:30 am

Yeah I'm going Sammy easily here but I'm all in given the upside vs discount he can be had for in trades and startups this year.

Dynastyallday
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Dynastyallday » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:31 am

As a Bills fan I can say this. Don't touch Watkins. Horribly over rated and as injury prone as they come. I'm shocked how the fantasy community is so down on a guy like Hopkins but still praises a guy like Watkins. He wasn't even the best WR on his college team despite being the first one drafted.

Give me Hopkins or Martavis Bryant any day of the week over Watkins. Bryant has the risk of a year long ban if he fails one more test so that is rough. But no worse than diva Watkins being hurt 24/7.

Bryant has played 21 games and has 14 tds.

Sammy has played 37 games and has 17 tds.

Now you could argue it both ways. Sammy is the true #1 in Buffalo and gets all the coverage while Bryant roams free while defense covers Antonio Brown. Whichever way you look at it, Sammy is still over rated and over valued imo.

Why don't other wrs who are teams true #1's and demand full coverage struggle as much as Sammy? Its not just QB play either. There's more to the story here.

At the end of the day, I'd rather say screw Watkins, and get Bryant for a quarter of the price. Or, go get Hopkins since the dynasty community seems to be souring on him.

Cowboysfan33
Legend
Legend

Postby Cowboysfan33 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:48 am

I would go Davis here.

OCPunisher
Role Player
Role Player

Postby OCPunisher » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:55 am

Unfortunately, Hopkins went at the start of round 2, otherwise I would have scooped him up.

Davis intrigues me because he's the clear #1 guy on a team with a young QB. Gronk may be the top TE right now, but he's 28 with a history of injuries and the Pats offense scares the crap out of me. I drafted Watkins in my other league as a rookie a few years ago and he scorned me real good. Gronk is a consideration only because others in my league might not really know about Davis and he could fall to round 4.

Other choices would be Doug Baldwin, Keenan Allen, Davante Adams, Alshon Jeffery. A lot of people reached for RBs in the first two rounds.
Team 1
10 team, PPR, 22-man rosters, 5 PS. 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 1PK 1DST
- QB: Herbert, Goff
- RB: Barkley, Jacobs, Achane, Akers, Dobbins, Gibson, Pacheco, Carter, Warren
- WR: AJB, Wilson, Olave, DJM, JSN, Pittman, Zay, Jameson, Godwin, Palmer
- TE: Andrews, Goedert, Freiermuth, Engram
2016 and 2018 champion! :dance: :biggrin: :clap:

Team 2
12 team, PPR, 40-man rosters, 1QB 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 3FLX
- QB: Herbert, Dalton, Minshew
- RB: Barkley, Swift, Herbert, JWilliams, Roschon, Zeke, KIngram, McFarland
- WR: Lamb, Waddle, DK, Aiyuk, MWilliams, Keenan, ARob, Woods
- TE: Andrews, Engram, Moreau, Trautman, Ruckert

albedo1986
Role Player
Role Player

Postby albedo1986 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:35 pm

Dynastyallday wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:31 am As a Bills fan I can say this. Don't touch Watkins. Horribly over rated and as injury prone as they come. I'm shocked how the fantasy community is so down on a guy like Hopkins but still praises a guy like Watkins. He wasn't even the best WR on his college team despite being the first one drafted.

Give me Hopkins or Martavis Bryant any day of the week over Watkins. Bryant has the risk of a year long ban if he fails one more test so that is rough. But no worse than diva Watkins being hurt 24/7.

Now you could argue it both ways. Sammy is the true #1 in Buffalo and gets all the coverage while Bryant roams free while defense covers Antonio Brown. Whichever way you look at it, Sammy is still over rated and over valued imo.

Why don't other wrs who are teams true #1's and demand full coverage struggle as much as Sammy? Its not just QB play either. There's more to the story here.

At the end of the day, I'd rather say screw Watkins, and get Bryant for a quarter of the price. Or, go get Hopkins since the dynasty community seems to be souring on him.
I don't think there is any argument between Sammy and Hopkins talent-wise.

Let's look at their big 2015 years:

Hopkins: 192 targets, 111 receptions (57.8% catch rate), 1524 yards total with 7.9 yards per target and 173 yards after the catch (0.9 yards per target)
Watkins: 96 targets, 60 receptions (62.5% catch rate), 1047 yards total with 10.9 yards per target and 167 yards after the catch (1.7 yards per target)

Can you even imagine what Watkins would have done with 192 targets assuming his stats that year? 2092.8 yards - jesus - christ. This isn't a new concept, but every now and then I feel like it needs to be rehashed with these comments haha. The ONLY true (and legitimate) argument against Sammy is his injury history. He's 24 yo and has had enough time to heal this foot (google his injury and the players that have had the same and bounced back). I thought dynasty has taught us to buy on efficiency for the long term, but who knows.

I think Hopkins has shown us he's a volume receiver, and is extremely overrated. Not to mention the Texans have shown they are a run first team as well. Using TDs as some kind of argument is hilarious as it's the most UNPREDICTABLE stat we have to run off of.

pierson242
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby pierson242 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:48 pm

Sammy for me! But the sounds of it Davis has a better chance to fall than Sammy
Devy Writer and Ranker for DLF

Follow me on Twitter @PiersonFF

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:40 pm

Davis for me

Kramer
MVP
MVP

Postby Kramer » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:43 pm

Watkins by a tad over Davis for me. He's shown that he's elite. Davis is still unknown. Plus Watkins (barring another injury) will have more immediate production as well. Whereas with Davis, you'll have to wait a couple years for that elite production.
10 team SF .5ppr-QB,2RB,3WR,TE,Flex,SF,Def (30 spots)
QB: Allen, AR, Brissett
RB: Mixon,Barkley,Rhamondre,Foreman
WR: Deebo,Adams,Jeudy, Devonta,Nuk
TE: Knox,Chig, Woods, Ferguson
2023 picks: 2, 3, 6, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14, 18, 19, 20
2024 picks: 3 2nds
2025 picks: 3 2nds

Docmcstuffins
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Docmcstuffins » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:18 pm

Its very close but I think I'd take the gamble on the rookie Davis over Watkins' injuries. I just don't like having constantly injured players on my team.
Legends of the Ring - est. 2017
14-team, 53 man roster, superflex, full IDP
The Hart Foundation
http://www61.myfantasyleague.com/2019/home/42572#0

Marvel vs DC - est 2018
14 team, 53 man roster, superflex, full IDP
Deadpool
http://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2019/home/58114#0

GI Joe vs Cobra - est 2019
14 team, 45 man roster, superflex, full IDP
Stormshadow
http://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2019/home/50265#0

Dynastyallday
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Dynastyallday » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:53 pm

albedo1986 wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:35 pm
Dynastyallday wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:31 am As a Bills fan I can say this. Don't touch Watkins. Horribly over rated and as injury prone as they come. I'm shocked how the fantasy community is so down on a guy like Hopkins but still praises a guy like Watkins. He wasn't even the best WR on his college team despite being the first one drafted.

I don't think there is any argument between Sammy and Hopkins talent-wise.

Let's look at their big 2015 years:

Hopkins: 192 targets, 111 receptions (57.8% catch rate), 1524 yards total with 7.9 yards per target and 173 yards after the catch (0.9 yards per target)
Watkins: 96 targets, 60 receptions (62.5% catch rate), 1047 yards total with 10.9 yards per target and 167 yards after the catch (1.7 yards per target)

Can you even imagine what Watkins would have done with 192 targets assuming his stats that year? 2092.8 yards - jesus - christ. This isn't a new concept, but every now and then I feel like it needs to be rehashed with these comments haha. The ONLY true (and legitimate) argument against Sammy is his injury history. He's 24 yo and has had enough time to heal this foot (google his injury and the players that have had the same and bounced back). I thought dynasty has taught us to buy on efficiency for the long term, but who knows.

I think Hopkins has shown us he's a volume receiver, and is extremely overrated. Not to mention the Texans have shown they are a run first team as well. Using TDs as some kind of argument is hilarious as it's the most UNPREDICTABLE stat we have to run off of.
Buffalo runs just as much if not more than Houston don't they?

And I'm not saying TDs are the be all end all. I'm just saying if you take two talented guys and one has has many tds in half the games, that tells me something.

Bryant showed me he can a redzone beast and pull off 2 or 3 td game all while getting yards and catches. No one fears Sammy in the redzone. That's the bottom line. You fear guys like Julio, Green, Dez, Martavis, athletic freaks in the red zone. Sammy is advertised as an athletic freak but who fears Sammy Watkins inside the 20? Nobody.

Dynastyallday
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Dynastyallday » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:58 pm

Kramer wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:43 pm Watkins by a tad over Davis for me. He's shown that he's elite. Davis is still unknown. Plus Watkins (barring another injury) will have more immediate production as well. Whereas with Davis, you'll have to wait a couple years for that elite production.
As a person who watches every Bills game I will disagree. Its not so much he is elite, moreso a case of "someone has to catch the ball". When your 2nd, 3rd and 4th WR all suck, usually the top WR in a group of garbage will always look the best, ala Watkins looking "elite". Lets look at LA Rams last year. Is Kenny Britt elite now? No. But he was the best WR on a garbage team with horrible WRs and terrible QB play just like Sammy Watkins.

Yes, I'm aware Watkins is more talented than Britt but when he's constantly hurt, it doesnt mean much.

And yes, others have had foot issues but guess what? Julio and Dez are freak of nature, game changers. Sammy is not.