Startup Drafting for a friend in 1 week, help

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
hockeyBjj
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Startup Drafting for a friend in 1 week, help

Postby hockeyBjj » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:22 am

So, a good friend of mine in my existing Dynasty League has a startup draft next Saturday (9 days away), and he just realized he will be busy when it is happening and asked me to do it for him. I'm around so said no problem, and thankfully he gave me a list of which guys he'd like to target at each pick. He has the 5th pick in a 12 team ppr, 1 QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1 Wr/RB/TE flex and 1 RB/TE flex. Gonna share his pick preferences and try to come up with a strategy to get him decent team to start off in his new league, since he drafted my rookies two years ago when the team I took over got orphaned and he did a pretty good job of it (including a slight reach for Hunter Henry in the 2nd round). 1 min time clock for the draft and no trades until after the draft, I think so that someone can't turbo bleep their team too badly from the onset, but 1 minute on the clock doesn't give me a lot of time to think about these picks or even to mark off the guys taken from others.

1.5- Planning for Antonio Brown here, David Johnson if he's available, and Amari Cooper if those two are aren't. Wants nothing to do with Zeke
2.8- Michael Thomas, Sammy Watkins, Jordan howard (unless I got David Johnson), and Dez Bryant in that order
3.5- Stefon Diggs, Jarvis Landry, Davante Adams, that order
4.8- Josh Doctson, Lamar Miller, Terelle Pryor
5.5- Devante Parker, Tevin Coleman (He wants 3wr and 2rb by this point if at all possible)
6.8- Kelvin Benjamin, Tyler Eifert
7.5- OJ Howard, Spencer Ware, Jeremy Maclin
8.8- Kareem Hunt, Kyle Rudolph, Evan Engram
9.5- Tyrell Williams, Samaje Perine, Doug Martin
10.5- Carson Wentz*, Drew Brees, Zay Jones- He really, really wants Wentz. Is this the round to take him or would I have to take him sooner?
11.3- Adam Thielen, D'onta Foreman, Cameron Meridith

He has picks like this spelled out to round 25 out of 30. Is what he's doing going to work as a guide to follow to get him a decent team? Or are all of these early reaches or guys who won't be available at those picks? I haven't done any startup research and only have a week, of which I'm super busy leading up to it but want to help him out best I can. He also says I have free reign to go off script if I see guys falling that shouldn't.
Team 1- 10 team ppr, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flx, 1D, 1K
2022: 1-8
Finishes: 6th, 6th, 1st, 5th, 6th, 9th
QB: Lamar Jackson, Purdy
RB: Bijan, Dobbins, Achane, Charbonnet, Algier, McBride, waiver trash
WR: JSN, QJ, Addison, Dotson, Skyy Moore, Jameson Williams, Hyatt, T Dell, Boutte, Skowronek, Quez Watkins, Greg Dortch, waiver trash
TE: Hockenson, F Monroe, Juwan, Musgrave
D/K: Patriots, Vikings, Saints, Dicker

picks-
2024- 1,1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,4,5,5
2025 1,1,1,2,3,4,5

team 2- 12 team SF, .5PPR, .5TE boost, 1QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
2022: 8-1
Finishes: 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd :wall:
QB: Ljax, GenoD Jones, Minshew, Dobbs
RB: CMC, Stevenson, A Jones, Chubb, A Mattison, D cook, Perine, Mckinnon,
WR:Tyreek, Diggs, C Kupp, D Adams, Keenan Allen, Lockett, Gallup, A Lazard, Hodgins
TE: Kelce, LaPorta, Irv Smith,
No picks until 2026 5th rounder lol

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Startup Drafting for a friend in 1 week, help

Postby Goddard » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:44 am

Looks like you have the players he wants and the order he wants them in, so makes it pretty easy for you. If one of the guys he wants isn't available, just go with best player available with your best judgment.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:19 pm

I'm curious on what basis he believes these players will be there in those spots. As an example, Meredith's current ADP is at 73 which puts him as the 1st pick of the 7th round, not as late as the 11th.

Assuming he gets all of his 1st choices he's going to be loaded at WR with starters of Wentz, Hunt (his only RB), and Howard at TE.

I don't envy your position. That a HORRIBLE way to set up a draft (1 minute between picks) and since you aren't putting together a team for yourself you are no doubt having to draft players that otherwise you would (or should) completely avoid.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

hockeyBjj
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby hockeyBjj » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:35 am

skip wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:19 pm I'm curious on what basis he believes these players will be there in those spots. As an example, Meredith's current ADP is at 73 which puts him as the 1st pick of the 7th round, not as late as the 11th.
He said he used Dynasty Nerds as his base. No idea how accurate that is or how close he followed it to have a chance of getting the players listed in their respective rounds

He's asked since I posted this that if I wanted to co-own the team with him. No idea how that would go, if it'd be fun to do with a friend and keep the workload down of having a 2nd team in a new league, or would just be frustrating as both of us getting upset at the trades and moves the other person is wanting to make. If I do co-own, at least drafting will be easier as I can use this as a much looser guide and after the first couple picks pretty much do what I want with who's left and falling, maybe make a small reach here and there to grab a guy he likes that I agree with.

Big one he has a hard on for I really want to get for him is Carson Wentz. Is that the round to target him? Or will I have to do it 2 rounds sooner? Or is he then not worth that high of a draft slot?
Team 1- 10 team ppr, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flx, 1D, 1K
2022: 1-8
Finishes: 6th, 6th, 1st, 5th, 6th, 9th
QB: Lamar Jackson, Purdy
RB: Bijan, Dobbins, Achane, Charbonnet, Algier, McBride, waiver trash
WR: JSN, QJ, Addison, Dotson, Skyy Moore, Jameson Williams, Hyatt, T Dell, Boutte, Skowronek, Quez Watkins, Greg Dortch, waiver trash
TE: Hockenson, F Monroe, Juwan, Musgrave
D/K: Patriots, Vikings, Saints, Dicker

picks-
2024- 1,1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,4,5,5
2025 1,1,1,2,3,4,5

team 2- 12 team SF, .5PPR, .5TE boost, 1QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
2022: 8-1
Finishes: 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd :wall:
QB: Ljax, GenoD Jones, Minshew, Dobbs
RB: CMC, Stevenson, A Jones, Chubb, A Mattison, D cook, Perine, Mckinnon,
WR:Tyreek, Diggs, C Kupp, D Adams, Keenan Allen, Lockett, Gallup, A Lazard, Hodgins
TE: Kelce, LaPorta, Irv Smith,
No picks until 2026 5th rounder lol

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:18 am

hockeyBjj wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:35 am He's asked since I posted this that if I wanted to co-own the team with him. No idea how that would go, if it'd be fun to do with a friend and keep the workload down of having a 2nd team in a new league, or would just be frustrating as both of us getting upset at the trades and moves the other person is wanting to make. If I do co-own, at least drafting will be easier as I can use this as a much looser guide and after the first couple picks pretty much do what I want with who's left and falling, maybe make a small reach here and there to grab a guy he likes that I agree with.
Not sure when I would target Wentz but I'd use ADP and plan at least a round earlier if he is that passionate about ownership. Even 2 rounds just to be sure.

My own experience with what I will loosely call "co-ownership" was not a good one. I was asked to run a team for a dynasty site (not this one) for a couple of seasons. So I was added as a co-owner of the team but the site owner also still retained rites to the team as well. It was not a startup, so I was dealing with an existing club and while it wasn't an awful team, the philosophy on how it was being run was horrid. They had invested too much in older "win now" types of players and 2 or 3 were lost to retirement. The rest of the team needed some work as well. I made a handful of moves to position the team as a rebuild. Around week 9 or 10 multiple waiver moves were made in a week by the "other" owner (despite having asked me to run the team), dumping a couple of rebuilding pieces I had added for older players who were just roster filler. So I reached out asking why he made those moves. He told me he didn't think I was monitoring the waiver wire (despite me making moves most weeks). I asked him which of us was running the team - the response being he would leave it to me. A week later he made two more similar moves so I contacted him and told him if he wanted to run it, it was all his and I quit then and there and he could go and run the team right back into the ground.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.