Grade my first year of Dynasty?

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
hockeyBjj
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Grade my first year of Dynasty?

Postby hockeyBjj » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:43 am

I picked up this team after the previous owner drafted in 2016 and this has been my first experience playing dynasty (also first ppr scoring) after ~5 years of yearly. Looking for some feedback on how I did so that I know which moves were smart, which moves were stupid (please don't hold back, I need to learn from mistakes), and where I should have made a move but didn't. My current team is in my sig

Before the season started, I traded Eddie Lacy to a Packer fan for a 2017 1st. I had fat boy on my yearly team the year before and wanted nothing to do with him

~4 weeks in I traded Devonta Freeman for a 2017 1st, 2018 3rd, and 2019 2nd because my team was 1-3, Russell Wilson was hurt, and Tevin Coleman scared me. This is the trade I partially regret

Just before playoff push I traded Larry Fitzgerald to the #1 guy in the league for a 2017 1st (obviously going to be late) and I threw in a 4th as well. He ended up taking 2nd

Throughout the season, I waiver added guys like Adam Thielen, Taylor Gabriel, and a few of the other back end WRs you see in my roster who are fairly young. Damien Williams too because I thought he would be Ajaiyi's backup

I ended up making playoffs despite acquiring 3 more 1st round draft picks next year, and I got bounced in the first round

Ended with the 1.5, 1.6, 1.8, and 1.9 picks in the first, and traded the 1.8, 1.9, and 2.6 to move up to the 1.3

Took Corey Davis with 1.3, then owner of 1.4 made a reach and I miraculously got Mixon and Cook with 5 and 6

Moved up from 3.5 to 2.10 to take JuJu since he was still on the board. Traded away Thomas Rawls and a 2018 3rd, and got back Gio (he had Lacy, I have Mixon so that RB swap made sense for us)

Didn't have a 4th, Drafted Trubinsky in 5th round

Took Erik Swoope with the #5 pick in our free agent draft

Please let me know, especially on the trades. I know draft day went amazing for me thanks to a reach at 1.4 :)
Team 1- 10 team ppr, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flx, 1D, 1K
2022: 1-8
Finishes: 6th, 6th, 1st, 5th, 6th, 9th
QB: Lamar Jackson, Purdy
RB: Bijan, Dobbins, Achane, Charbonnet, Algier, McBride, waiver trash
WR: JSN, QJ, Addison, Dotson, Skyy Moore, Jameson Williams, Hyatt, T Dell, Boutte, Skowronek, Quez Watkins, Greg Dortch, waiver trash
TE: Hockenson, F Monroe, Juwan, Musgrave
D/K: Patriots, Vikings, Saints, Dicker

picks-
2024- 1,1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,4,5,5
2025 1,1,1,2,3,4,5

team 2- 12 team SF, .5PPR, .5TE boost, 1QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
2022: 8-1
Finishes: 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd :wall:
QB: Ljax, GenoD Jones, Minshew, Dobbs
RB: CMC, Stevenson, A Jones, Chubb, A Mattison, D cook, Perine, Mckinnon,
WR:Tyreek, Diggs, C Kupp, D Adams, Keenan Allen, Lockett, Gallup, A Lazard, Hodgins
TE: Kelce, LaPorta, Irv Smith,
No picks until 2026 5th rounder lol

jaykay22
Starter
Starter

Re: Grade my first year of Dynasty?

Postby jaykay22 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:00 am

That's a very strong team, and you have moved really well. I'd personally look to package 2 of Britt, Thielen and Jordan Matthews for an upgrade at WR. Since you can only start 3 WR at all times (your flex doesn't allow for a WR to be in there, interesting), no need to have a WR bench THAT deep (as nice as it does feel to have a guy like Adam Thielen who's an underrated player as your WR7, it's probably unnecessary).
#FreeCoreyDavis

dynastysports
MVP
MVP

Postby dynastysports » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:27 am

I hate the Devonta Freeman trade, but over all your team looks pretty legit. I agree with the above, if you could package a couple meh WRs for a solid one to start at Flex or upgrade at TE then this could be a really competitive team, especially if Mixon or Cook pans out this year.

Paul Crewe
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Paul Crewe » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:47 am

Don't like the Freeman trade at all, but your other moves were solid. The draft feel very nicely for you too. Out of curiosity, who was the reach at 1.4?
10-team PPR Superflex; 30-man roster + 2 IR
QB WR WR WR RB RB TE W/R/T Q/W/R/T K DEF

Mean Machine
QB: D.Prescott, M.Ryan -or- D.Brees, J.Brissett
WR: M.Thomas, J.Jones, O.Beckham -or- J.Landry, D.Johnson, B.Perriman, T.Smith, A.Tate, S.Sims Jr., A.Isabella, J.Arcega-Whiteside
RB: S.Barkley, Dv.Johnson -or- Dm.Williams, A.Mattison, B.Scott, J.Richard, D.Washington, P.Barber, T.Homer
TE: T.Kelce, C.Herndon IV, D.Walker, D.Knox
K: <stream>
DEF: San Francisco, Pittsburgh

2012: 2nd, 2013: 3rd, 2014: 2nd, 2015: 3rd
2016: 5th, 2017: 3rd, 2018: 2nd, 2019: 1st

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:01 am

Nice moves overall. I'm assuming the 1.4 was Perine (most would consider that a reach). I would personally watch out for that owner, as I don't personally think that's a reach...

Since you are new to dynasty, learn a little lesson there. That owner that reached...does not follow consensus. It is important to know these tendencies in other owners, so remember that about him. If, in the future, he is one spot ahead of you in the draft, you can't count on him following a typical ADP and letting your guy fall. He's the type of guy you need to move ahead of if you have a particular guy you want that you believe will fall. He also won't likely follow typical consensus on what is fair in a trade, so you might be surprised on what you can negotiate in trade talks with him.

srlarson
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby srlarson » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:11 am

can you actually play guys on your taxi squad? if Not a few of those guys need to replace guys on your active roster....
Empire 10 team 30man rosters QB, 2rb, 3Wr, TE, 2F, K (.5ppr RB's, ppr WR/TE)
redraft coming

Empire 12 team SF 30man rosters - QB, 2rb, 2wr, te, sf, Rb/Wr/Te flex, 2Rb/Wr Flex
(rb .5ppr, wr 1ppr, TE 1.5ppr) -
QB - Prescott, Cousins, M Jones, C. Rush
RB - JT, Chubb, J Cook, Hunt, Penny, Patterson, Foreman, Davis-Price, Henderson, Patterson
WR - Diggs, M Thomas, Gallup, K Phillips, Goodwin, Hollins, C Moore, raymond, reynolds, D robinson, J Watson
TE - Ertz, Brate, McBride, Akins, Gray

hockeyBjj
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby hockeyBjj » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:19 am

Yeah, I feel like I got taken advantage of as a noob with the Freeman trade. Ah well, I learned since then and also that owner is rather horrible to negotiate a trade with. I do regret that one even though he always tries to assure me it was a fair deal

The 1.4 reach was for.......... Marlon Mack :lol: :lol: :lol: I think the biggest kicker is he had been the owner of 3 and 4, so my 8,9 and 2.6 went to him for 3. If he really believed in Mack, he could have still made a bit of a reach on him but later than the 4th overall pick

I think I want to keep Thielen as he made a fantastic WR3/4 last year for byes and if Allen's knees give out again and I think he can reproduce those numbers. (I'm also a Vikings fan and a huge real fan of Thielen) I'll see if I can package Britt/Gabriel/Mathews for a WR3 to someone. I like that idea

As for the taxi, I'm keeping them there for now to have roster room to add guys once pre-season starts if anyone surprises and moves up the depth chart who is currently unowned. I'll make roster cuts to move rookies once I want to start them that week, we can move them up and down all season long
Team 1- 10 team ppr, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flx, 1D, 1K
2022: 1-8
Finishes: 6th, 6th, 1st, 5th, 6th, 9th
QB: Lamar Jackson, Purdy
RB: Bijan, Dobbins, Achane, Charbonnet, Algier, McBride, waiver trash
WR: JSN, QJ, Addison, Dotson, Skyy Moore, Jameson Williams, Hyatt, T Dell, Boutte, Skowronek, Quez Watkins, Greg Dortch, waiver trash
TE: Hockenson, F Monroe, Juwan, Musgrave
D/K: Patriots, Vikings, Saints, Dicker

picks-
2024- 1,1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,4,5,5
2025 1,1,1,2,3,4,5

team 2- 12 team SF, .5PPR, .5TE boost, 1QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
2022: 8-1
Finishes: 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd :wall:
QB: Ljax, GenoD Jones, Minshew, Dobbs
RB: CMC, Stevenson, A Jones, Chubb, A Mattison, D cook, Perine, Mckinnon,
WR:Tyreek, Diggs, C Kupp, D Adams, Keenan Allen, Lockett, Gallup, A Lazard, Hodgins
TE: Kelce, LaPorta, Irv Smith,
No picks until 2026 5th rounder lol

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:49 am

Outside of the Freeman trade, love everything else. The trades, draft picks, and waiver picks were all very good moves.