Rookie draft advice...

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
Han
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Rookie draft advice...

Postby Han » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:00 pm

My weak links are RB and TE so my goal this draft is to improve there. In most of the rookie drafts/rankings I've seen it looks like the top tier RBs (Fournette, McCaffrey, Cook, and Mixon) are getting picked in some random order in the top 5 with Corey Davis filling it out.

I have the following picks: 1.6, 1.7, 2.7, 2.9, 3.10, & 5.7, so I am just missing out on one of those top guys. I've seen a few mocks that have Cook or Mixon falling to 1.6 with Mike Williams going 1.5, but the teams picking first are all pretty RB needy as well so I don't see that happening in our draft.

I feel like I have 3 basic options:

A) Go with best available (I'm thinking Mike Williams and OJ Howard) with my first two picks, and then take 2 RBs with my next two picks, (pray that 2 of this group are available: D'Onta Foreman, Joe Williams, Marlon Mack, Jamaal Williams)

B) Draft 1 RB in each of first two rounds with a little reach in the 1st rd (would lean towards Perine as a Skins fan, Kamara, or Hunt), and then 1 of the above, and then best available with other 1st and 2nd rd picks (probably OJ and a WR like Samuel, Godwin, or maybe Watson so I can drop my underwhelming flock of back up QBs

C) Trade Up if possible for one of the top 5 picks, swapping one of my (1st rd picks + 3.10) or (1st rd + one of the following: Ivory/Vereen/Aiken/Moore), and then taking OJ Howard with other 1st. I'm admittedly terrible about valuing trades so do these options sound like too much/little or just about right?

Thanks for any and all advice!
QB (1) - A.Rodgers,J.Love,W.Levis,B.Mayfield,Darnold,J.Brisset,Corral
RB (2) - Bijan,Charbonnet,R. Mostert, Zeke, Allgeier,K. Hunt,Hubbard, J.Ford, M. Gaskin
WR (2) - Nuk, M. Evans ,OBJ, T.Thornton, P. Nacua, K Boutte, P. Campbell Zaccheaus,W Fuller, Cobb, T.Patrick
TE (1) - Schultz, Hooper,Kmet,T.Kraft
SFlex (2) - any qb/rb/wr/te

0.25 PPR
12 team league, 37 player rosters + IR, 5 round rookie draft each year.

1957notthatlongago
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Rookie draft advice...

Postby 1957notthatlongago » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:29 pm

I'd do what I can to trade up. I think it's a steep cliff after the top 4 rbs. The 5-7 guys all really fall into the same muddled pack of personal preferences.

1.07 gives you your pick of tightends (Howard) so need meets opportunity there.

I also think Mike Williams is the slotted 1.06. So if you are thinking RB you should move.

If the teams are RB need that might be difficult. If you aren't high on Williams maybe look into trading down and picking up an extra 2nd.

1957notthatlongago
Rookie
Rookie

Postby 1957notthatlongago » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:33 pm

I'd do what I can to trade up. I think it's a steep cliff after the top 4 rbs. The 5-7 guys all really fall into the same muddled pack of personal preferences.

1.07 gives you your pick of tightends (Howard) so need meets opportunity there.

I also think Mike Williams is the slotted 1.06. So if you are thinking RB you should move.

If the teams are RB need that might be difficult. If you aren't high on Williams maybe look into trading down and picking up an extra 2nd.

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:47 pm

I'd try to trade up as well, but the trade ideas you have are not going to get it done. Ask around and see what it would take and go from there. If you can't trade up, take best player available and worry about need later.

Han
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Han » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:12 pm

Goddard wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:47 pm I'd try to trade up as well, but the trade ideas you have are not going to get it done. Ask around and see what it would take and go from there. If you can't trade up, take best player available and worry about need later.
How far off am I in trade value you think? If I went for 1.5 my argument would be it is only moving up 1 or 2 spots, I SHOULDN'T need to throw in a ton. I know that's not how it works though.
QB (1) - A.Rodgers,J.Love,W.Levis,B.Mayfield,Darnold,J.Brisset,Corral
RB (2) - Bijan,Charbonnet,R. Mostert, Zeke, Allgeier,K. Hunt,Hubbard, J.Ford, M. Gaskin
WR (2) - Nuk, M. Evans ,OBJ, T.Thornton, P. Nacua, K Boutte, P. Campbell Zaccheaus,W Fuller, Cobb, T.Patrick
TE (1) - Schultz, Hooper,Kmet,T.Kraft
SFlex (2) - any qb/rb/wr/te

0.25 PPR
12 team league, 37 player rosters + IR, 5 round rookie draft each year.

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:23 pm

Han wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:12 pm
Goddard wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:47 pm I'd try to trade up as well, but the trade ideas you have are not going to get it done. Ask around and see what it would take and go from there. If you can't trade up, take best player available and worry about need later.
How far off am I in trade value you think? If I went for 1.5 my argument would be it is only moving up 1 or 2 spots, I SHOULDN'T need to throw in a ton. I know that's not how it works though.
I know it's only 1 or 2 spots, but there's still a big drop off in talent/value. I think the owner of the 1.05 would want at least a 2nd on top. Doesn't hurt to start with your offers because you never know, but be prepared to add more.

Coogan Football
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Coogan Football » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:32 pm

Always go BPA.

Have you formulated some version of your "own" rankings Big Board yet?
12 team 6pts all TDs/.5ppr/SFlex/ balanced IDP, scoring est. 2008
Start QB,SF,2RB,3WR,TE,2Flex,3DL,3LB,3DB,2DFlex
3x Champion 2015, 2016, 2017
QB: Brees, Luck, Prescott, McCarron, C.Kelly, Peterman
RB: Elliott, Gurley, Hunt, Kamara, Gordon, Howard, McCaffrey, J.Williams,
WR: Julio, Hopkins, M.Thomas, TY, Watkins, Kupp, C.Davis, Thomas (LA), Carroo, Switzer, Tr. Taylor
TE: Olsen, Engram, Howard, Fleener, Swoope
DL: Watt, Mack, C.Jordan, Bosa, D.Hunter, Clowney, Armstead
LB: Kuechly, Ogletree, Mosley, McKinney, R.Foster, Bucannon, Z.Cunningham, Anzalone, ShaqT,
, Goodson, Pullard,
DB: H.Smith, Vaccaro, B.Jones, Neal, Adoree, K.Joseph, Geathers, M.Maye, J.Jones, D Thompson

Don't be the guy that asks for advice without giving some out yourself
#WhoDat

timmybhoy
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby timmybhoy » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:24 am

Han wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:00 pm My weak links are RB and TE so my goal this draft is to improve there. In most of the rookie drafts/rankings I've seen it looks like the top tier RBs (Fournette, McCaffrey, Cook, and Mixon) are getting picked in some random order in the top 5 with Corey Davis filling it out.

I have the following picks: 1.6, 1.7, 2.7, 2.9, 3.10, & 5.7, so I am just missing out on one of those top guys. I've seen a few mocks that have Cook or Mixon falling to 1.6 with Mike Williams going 1.5, but the teams picking first are all pretty RB needy as well so I don't see that happening in our draft.

I feel like I have 3 basic options:

A) Go with best available (I'm thinking Mike Williams and OJ Howard) with my first two picks, and then take 2 RBs with my next two picks, (pray that 2 of this group are available: D'Onta Foreman, Joe Williams, Marlon Mack, Jamaal Williams)

B) Draft 1 RB in each of first two rounds with a little reach in the 1st rd (would lean towards Perine as a Skins fan, Kamara, or Hunt), and then 1 of the above, and then best available with other 1st and 2nd rd picks (probably OJ and a WR like Samuel, Godwin, or maybe Watson so I can drop my underwhelming flock of back up QBs

C) Trade Up if possible for one of the top 5 picks, swapping one of my (1st rd picks + 3.10) or (1st rd + one of the following: Ivory/Vereen/Aiken/Moore), and then taking OJ Howard with other 1st. I'm admittedly terrible about valuing trades so do these options sound like too much/little or just about right?

Thanks for any and all advice!
1.7 is the pick I'd be trying to move, up if you can but if not try to trade back to the late 1st/early 2nd and getting an extra pick in the 2nd. It's worth exploring trading it for a vet too targeting a team that's not in immediate contention. I'm fine with holding the 1.6 and taking Williams if all the other top 5 are gone.

As Coogan mentioned make your own board splitting them into tiers. It helps so much with drafting.
Team 1
12 team 1pt ppr,
Bonus pts for td's of 50yd+
Start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 2 FLEX 1 DEF

QB: Rodgers, Smith
RB: Gurley, Perine, Prosise, Hunt, Charles, Aaron Jones, Smallwood, Sproles, Richard, Burkhead
WR: Hilton, M Thomas, Jordy, Crowder, Coleman Sanders, Aiken, K Wright, LaFell
TE: Rudolph, Engram, J Thomas
DEF: Hou, LA
Taxi: Carroo, Mahomes, Darboh

2018 Picks: 1st, 3rd

Team 2
12 team, 1ppr, TE prem, SFlex, IDP, Devy
Start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1 SFlex, 1 Flex, 2DL, 3LB, 2DB
QB: Mariota, Ryan, Dalton, Kaep
RB: Gordon, Hyde, Matthews, Booker, Sims, Marshall, Joe Williams
WR: ARob, Keenan, CoCo, Tate, Crabtree, Thielen, Boyd, Woods
TE: Graham, Hooper, Gathers
DL: Atkins, Buckner, Harrison, Wolfe
LB: D Jones, E Kendricks, Whitehead, Anzalone, M Kendricks, Ford
DB: Cyprien, Jefferson, Chancellor, Peppers
Taxi: Peterman, B Hill, Blair Brown, Raekwon, TJ Watt

Dyno_7
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Dyno_7 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:05 pm

Hmm.... this is a tough one.

I wonder if you could move up by adding your 2018 1st rd pick to the 1.06?

Or, see what kind of haul you can get for Nuk. He's worth a 1.01++ or an established RB1. Draft your RB, take Williams and Howard at 6 & 7 and you'll still have equity from the Nuk deal.
TEAMS 1&2: 10tm. Non-PPR +IDP.
Starters: 1QB-2RB-3WR-1TE-1K-2DL-1EDR-3LB-3DB

TEAM 1:
QB: C.Wentz, P.Rivers, J.Rosen, L.Jackson.
RB: J.Mixon, L.Fournette, J.Howard, D.Williams
WR: O.BeckhamJr, M.Thomas, S.Diggs, J.Smith-Schuster, S.Watkins, C.Godwin, C.Sutton.
TE: Z.Ertz, M.Gesicki, G.Kittle.
DL: D.Hunter, D.Barnett, C.Jones.
EDR: H.Landry.
LB: M.Jack, Z.Cunningham, A.Williamson, L.Vander Esch, C.Littleton.
DB: R.Jones, B.McDougald, S.Williams.

TEAM 2:
QB: D.Watson.
RB: D.Cook, A.Kamara, J.Mixon, C.Hyde, N.Chubb, A.Jones.
WR: A.Cooper, M.Thomas, J.Smith-Schuster, J.Gordon, M.Williams, K.Golladay, C.Godwin, C.Kirk.
TE: E.Engram, D.Njoku, D.Goedert.
DL: K.Mack, D.Hunter, D.Ware
EDR: V.Miller
LB: T.Smith, M.Jack, D.Jones, Z.Cunningham, T.Edmunds, L.Vander Esch.
DB: B.Baker, D.James, C.Geathers.