Rookie Draft Opinions

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
Chris10385
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Rookie Draft Opinions

Postby Chris10385 » Sun May 28, 2017 2:44 pm

I have my rookie draft coming up for the team in my signature. We just had to cut down to 17 yesterday. The draft is June 17th. I have a couple different paths I could take. most people will tell me to go with path 1 but I am looking for opinions on taking the second path here given my team construction and needs. So I own the 1.2, 1.7, 1.8, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.11, 3.6, 3.7, and 3.8. Now the first path is obvious and taking Davis at the 1.2 because it is just about 100% the team at 1.1 takes Fournette. Then the draft would fall something along these lines below

1.3 - Cook/McCaffrey
1.4 - Mixon
1.5 - Cook/McCaffrey
1.6 - Kamara

My league is hell bent on running backs in general this rookie draft so obviously at Mike Williams, OJ Howard, and John Ross' current ADP of 6, 7, and 8 respectively will not stick in the draft. At 7 and 8 I would not take Williams, Howard, or Ross here either. I would most likely take Perine and Hunt.

1.7 - Perine
1.8 - Hunt

So then at 9-12 we have a combo of Williams, Howard, Juju, Engram, Ross, Njoku. That would leave me with one of those guys at the 2.2 and I am thinking it will either be Ross or Engram/Njoku. I would take whoever is left form that group at the 2.2 obviously then I would probably take D'Onta Foreman and Zay Jones.

2.2 - Whoever falls out of 1st between above group
2.3 - Foreman
2.4 - Zay Jones

I won't get into the rest of the picks because the top 16 is what I am most worried about and want the most advice on.

Now onto option 2. The most interesting option and the one I really want people to weigh in on. Now let's say I throw a bit of a curveball in the draft and go Mixon at 2.

1.2 - Mixon
1.3 - McCaffrey/Cook
1.4 - Davis
1.5 - Cook/McCaffrey
1.6 - Kamara

I then would draft Williams and Perine at the 7 and 8.

1.7 - Mike Williams
1.8 - Perine

The 9-12 would then consist of Howard, Ross, Hunt, Njoku, Engram, Juju.

Again I would take whichever one falls to me at 2.2 then Zay Jones and whatever with the 2.4 or trade it.

But what i wanna know if the second option crazy to go with or given my needs and roster construction along with my rookie picks... Does the second option make sense? Having the 1.7 and 1.8 I feel gives me some flexibility to do either. What are yalls opinions?!
Team 1
12 teams/7pt TDs/3pts ppr/4pts TE ppr/1pt ppc/
Start QB,2RB,2WR,TE, WRT Flex,WT FLEX,WT Flex
(30 Active Roster)
QB: Brady, Cousins, Bridgewater
RB: Taylor, Zeke, AJones, Hunt
WR: Hopkins, Godwin, Thielen, Juju, B. Edwards
TE: Goedert, Conklin, Cox, Parham, Everett
Picks: 2022 3rd, 2024 1st

Team 2
10 teams/6pts TDs/3pts ppr/1pt ppc/
Start 1QB,2RB,2WR,TE,2Flex,DEF,K
(30 Active Roster)
QB: Matt Ryan,Stafford
RB: Ezekiel Elliott, Jacobs, Hunt, Shady, Gore, Royce Freeman, Duke, Dixon, D. Harris, Love
WR: Deandre Hopkins, Antonio Brown, Jarvis Landry, Crowder, Daesean Hamilton, Em. Sanders, AJ Brown
TE: Ebron, Gerald Everett, Olsen
2020 Picks: 1st, 1st,

Chris10385
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: Rookie Draft Opinions

Postby Chris10385 » Sun May 28, 2017 2:46 pm

Also I plan on taking Gerald Everett or Adam Shaheen or even Jake Butt with one of my 3rd round selections so I might hold off on TE all together with my top 16 picks.
Team 1
(30 Active Roster)

Team 2
(30 Active Roster)
RB: Ezekiel Elliott, Jacobs, Hunt, Shady, Gore, Royce Freeman, Duke, Dixon, D. Harris, Love
WR: Deandre Hopkins, Antonio Brown, Jarvis Landry, Crowder, Daesean Hamilton, Em. Sanders, AJ Brown

Coogan Football
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Coogan Football » Sun May 28, 2017 2:54 pm

Just watch some tape and do a little homework and create your own "big board" and go by that to make your picks and take BPA.

You might think you know how your rookie draft will go, but there will be surprises all over the place so I don't really think you can be thinking of who will be there with each pick.
12 team 6pts all TDs/.5ppr/SFlex/ balanced IDP, scoring est. 2008
Start QB,SF,2RB,3WR,TE,2Flex,3DL,3LB,3DB,2DFlex
3x Champion 2015, 2016, 2017
QB: Brees, Luck, Prescott, McCarron, C.Kelly, Peterman
RB: Elliott, Gurley, Hunt, Kamara, Gordon, Howard, McCaffrey, J.Williams,
WR: Julio, Hopkins, M.Thomas, TY, Watkins, Kupp, C.Davis, Thomas (LA), Carroo, Switzer, Tr. Taylor
TE: Olsen, Engram, Howard, Fleener, Swoope
DL: Watt, Mack, C.Jordan, Bosa, D.Hunter, Clowney, Armstead
LB: Kuechly, Ogletree, Mosley, McKinney, R.Foster, Bucannon, Z.Cunningham, Anzalone, ShaqT,
, Goodson, Pullard,
DB: H.Smith, Vaccaro, B.Jones, Neal, Adoree, K.Joseph, Geathers, M.Maye, J.Jones, D Thompson

Don't be the guy that asks for advice without giving some out yourself
#WhoDat

Checker1183
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Checker1183 » Sun May 28, 2017 3:17 pm

Coogan Football wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 2:54 pm Just watch some tape and do a little homework and create your own "big board" and go by that to make your picks and take BPA.

You might think you know how your rookie draft will go, but there will be surprises all over the place so I don't really think you can be thinking of who will be there with each pick.

100% agree with this. Even if you think you know what the other owners will do, they'll either change their mind or what they're saying is a smokescreen to divert attention from who they want. Create a big board and go BPA off of it when ur pick comes up.

Novacane
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Novacane » Sun May 28, 2017 3:40 pm

The rest of your draft board should not change because you take Davis or mixon. If it does, you are doing it wrong.
Team 1

12 Team .2 PPR (1 PPR after 5 rec), salary cap.

1QB, 1-3 RB, 2-4 WR, 1-3 TE.

QB: Eli, Wentz, Romo
RB: DJ, Freeman, Hyde, Coleman, Mathews
WR: OBJ, ARob, Watkins, Moncrief, White, Gordon, Hogan, Woods
TE: Gronk, Ebron

2017 Picks: 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5

Team 2

12 team .2 PPR (full point after 5 receptions), salary cap. 1QB, 0-3RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE.

QB: Wilson,
RB: Drake, Marshall
WR: OBJ, Alshon, TY Hilton, Jordy Nelson, Benjamin, Parker, Doctson, John Brown, Shepard
TE: Eifert, Ebron,

2017 Picks: 1.06, 1.10, 2.06, 3.01, 3.10

Team 3 (3rd Year Orphan)

12 team .2 PPR (full point after 5 receptions), salary cap. 1QB, 1-3 RB, 2-4 WR, 1-3 TE.

QB: Brees, Kaep
RB: DJ, Forte, Dion Lewis, White, Drake, Ellington
WR: OBJ, Matthews, John Brown, Fuller, Parker, White, Lockett, Treadwell, Hogan, Sharpe
TE: Brate, Ladarius, Kendricks

2017 Picks: 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5

vixen
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby vixen » Sun May 28, 2017 3:46 pm

so the draft for team 1 below is quite similar...it is a ppc league, so it is RB heavy
1. fournette
2. mccaffrey
3. davis
4. mixon
5. cook
6. m williams
7. hunt
8. perine
9. ross
10. Howard--me
11. Kamara--me traded my 2.2 and 2.12 for 1.11 and 4.11 to take both of these players...felt there was a drop after these 2..

but i will say, since you have that many picks...Do not pass on Davis, i think the 4 RBs are quite similar, each with a certain amount of risk..
Davis is superior to Mike Williams...
Last edited by vixen on Sun May 28, 2017 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
team 1 -start QB RB 2WR TE 2RB/WR 1WR/TE
qbs=5pt tds wr/te=1 ppr rbs=.5ppr all get .25ppc
Watson, Brady, Mills
Ekeler, Hunt, Carson/Penny, DForeman, Mitchell, CPat, Kyren, Ford, KHarris
Cooper, sutton, Chase, Shepard, Atwell, Schwartz, Wan'Dale, Austin III
Gesicki, Engram, Hooper, Woods
team 2 -start QB 2RB 3WR TE 2Flex K D
Cousins, Stafford
DH JT, Ekeler, Kylin Hill, Herbert, KHarris, Chandler
Hopkins, Diggs, Adams, Godwin, McLaurin, Callaway, DPJ, Robby Anderson, Schwartz, Pierce, Wan'Dale, Doubs
Kelce, Andrews, Jacob Harris

harr
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby harr » Sun May 28, 2017 4:10 pm

I'd take Davis at 1.02 and sort the rest out later.
@BrianHarrFF

Chris10385
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Chris10385 » Sun May 28, 2017 4:48 pm

The guy picking at 1.06 has OBJ, Mike Evans, and Amari Cooper, and Sammy Watkins. He is one of my best friends and I know for sure he does not like Mike Williams and infatuated with Kamara. So I am pretty sure about 99.9999% Mike Williams will be there at 7. I would be pissed if I passed up Perine and Foreman and was not able to draft either at the 2.2. Hunt I am not that worried about. Most likely I go RB RB at 7 and 8 but the board would say go Williams. I am in desperate need of running backs so do I take Williams with the 7 or 8 and just try to flip him? I feel like its a wasted pick especially after grabbing Davis when i am not high on Williams and the HUGE need at RB. I feel like I could go Perine and Foreman at 7 and 8 then just go WR at one of my top 2nd round picks.
Team 1
(30 Active Roster)

Team 2
(30 Active Roster)

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Sun May 28, 2017 7:55 pm

Consolidate those picks and move up as much as possible. If you're only able to keep 17 players, most of those picks will end up getting cut next year.

Chris10385
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Chris10385 » Sun May 28, 2017 8:01 pm

Well I will be cutting one of the Denver QB's, either Witten or Clay, and most likely Carroo. So I will have enough roster space to fit the picks. There have been close to a million trades in this league this off season so people are a lot less inclined to do any trading of draft picks now the closer we get to our draft. So I am kinda stuck. Moving back into the first round is pretty much not happening.
Team 1
(30 Active Roster)

Team 2
(30 Active Roster)

Alex116
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Alex116 » Sun May 28, 2017 8:39 pm

Wait till you're OTC with your 1.07 pick and gauge trade value then, not now. You may be surprised as the draft plays out how suddenly an owner or two is interested in moving up.

Lime
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Lime » Sun May 28, 2017 9:09 pm

Brian wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 4:10 pm I'd take Davis at 1.02 and sort the rest out later.
X2

Based on your roster, I'd likely look for RBs at 7 and 8, but don't lock yourself into that.

Draft for talent, trade for need. There's a long way to go until the season, you don't need to pick your starting lineup in May.

cvbuc
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cvbuc » Sun May 28, 2017 9:35 pm

Coogan Football wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 2:54 pm Just watch some tape and do a little homework and create your own "big board" and go by that to make your picks and take BPA.

just simply... this.
TEAM ONE
12 Team PPR League / 5pt passing TDs
2020 & 2021 CHAMPS (2022 Runner Up)
Start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1Flex 1TE 1K 23 Man Active Roster / 3 TAXI SQUAD SPOT
QB - L. Jackson, Cousins
RB - Swift, Ekeler, K. Mitchell, A. Mattison, D. Foreman, C. Rodriguez, E. Mitchell, S, Tucker, J. Wilson
WR - Amon Ra, D. Smith, M. Pittman, DK Metcalf, Jayden Reed, D. Douglas, K. Shakir, D. Wicks, T. Tucker, T. Scott
TE - Kelce, C. Otton, I. Likely, D. Washington
K - B. Aubrey
DEF - Eagles, Dolphins

Knox Steel Curtain
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Knox Steel Curtain » Sun May 28, 2017 9:47 pm

Take Davis. Kid is a special talent. Try and move up with some of later picks for one of the big four backs. I don't mind Davis going first in any format. When you see his film, he has a lot of TO in his game with way he sheds defenders and high points the ball and is never caught from behind very often. Very physical player that is going to be playing with a great young quarterback.

Chris10385
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Chris10385 » Sun May 28, 2017 9:48 pm

Lime wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 9:09 pm
Brian wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 4:10 pm I'd take Davis at 1.02 and sort the rest out later.
X2

Based on your roster, I'd likely look for RBs at 7 and 8, but don't lock yourself into that.

Draft for talent, trade for need. There's a long way to go until the season, you don't need to pick your starting lineup in May.
I'm not worried about having my starting lineup in May per say. I am just more worried about drafting for talent then needing to over pay in a trade when trading for need. I obviously have a HUGE need at RB. I just don't want to have to overpay for running backs when I need to trade for them. I just think at SOME point you have to draft for need over talent. But maybe I am wrong. But like I said if I were to draft talent over need and wait on a RB until the 2nd round there might not be much left. At least not guys that have a shot at starting in 2017 unless there are injuries.
Team 1
(30 Active Roster)

Team 2
(30 Active Roster)