Bilal Powell value?

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
fantasydem
Starter
Starter

Bilal Powell value?

Postby fantasydem » Sun May 21, 2017 9:55 am

Curious as to what others are valuing Powell at.. I've seen reports lately that he'll be the starter going into this year and with the way he finished the year off last year, I'm thinking about holding onto him and seeing what he can do. Is anybody buying into him?
Team 1: 12 TM PPR/PPC Superflex
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex, 1 Sflex
QB: Herbert, Tua, Jones, Lock
RB: Barkley, Akers, Conner, Pollard
WR: Adams, Lamb, JJefferson, Godwin, Pittman, DPJ, Hardman
TE:Kelce, Cox
(24): 2, 3, 4

Team 2: 12 TM PPR Superflex, TE premium, .25 PPC
1 QB, 2 RB, 2WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex, 1 Sflex
QB: Wentz, Lance, Mond
RB: Montgomery, Mattison
WR: AJ Brown, Chase, JJefferson, Jeudy, Pascal, Hardman, Bourne
TE: Goedert, Howard
(22) 1.2, 1.5, 2.5, 3.1, 3.2, 3.5, 4.5
(23) 1, 2, 3, 4

Team 3: 12 TM PPR Superflex
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, TE, 2 Flex, 1 Sflex
QB: Wentz, Rodgers, Foles, Brissett
RB:
WR: Deebo, Evans, Hopkins, Adams, Mooney
TE:
(24) 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Bilal Powell value?

Postby skip » Sun May 21, 2017 9:57 am

3rd round max for me. You should hold him for more if you can. Someone will no doubt buy into the hype.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Sun May 21, 2017 9:59 am

I wouldn't want him as anything more than my RB4/5.

fantasydem
Starter
Starter

Postby fantasydem » Sun May 21, 2017 10:06 am

Goddard wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 9:59 am I wouldn't want him as anything more than my RB4/5.
For sure. He isn't starting or my top backup, I figure i'll hold onto him and see if he actually does something this year
Team 1: 12 TM PPR/PPC Superflex
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex, 1 Sflex
QB: Herbert, Tua, Jones, Lock
RB: Barkley, Akers, Conner, Pollard
WR: Adams, Lamb, JJefferson, Godwin, Pittman, DPJ, Hardman
TE:Kelce, Cox
(24): 2, 3, 4

Team 2: 12 TM PPR Superflex, TE premium, .25 PPC
1 QB, 2 RB, 2WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex, 1 Sflex
QB: Wentz, Lance, Mond
RB: Montgomery, Mattison
WR: AJ Brown, Chase, JJefferson, Jeudy, Pascal, Hardman, Bourne
TE: Goedert, Howard
(22) 1.2, 1.5, 2.5, 3.1, 3.2, 3.5, 4.5
(23) 1, 2, 3, 4

Team 3: 12 TM PPR Superflex
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, TE, 2 Flex, 1 Sflex
QB: Wentz, Rodgers, Foles, Brissett
RB:
WR: Deebo, Evans, Hopkins, Adams, Mooney
TE:
(24) 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Sun May 21, 2017 10:15 am

Low end RB2. He looked real good two years then they inexplicably signed Forte who Powell easily out performed.

He's not the long term answer but he's a cheaper fill in than a lot of the other RBs out there.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Sun May 21, 2017 12:13 pm

Space Cowboy wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 10:15 am Low end RB2. He looked real good two years then they inexplicably signed Forte who Powell easily out performed.
I wouldn't say "inexplicably". Powell has been with the Jets for 6 years and the team has never viewed him as their starter. When Ivory left, bringing someone else in was a forgone conclusion. I'd say it's surprising they didn't bring anyone in this season but they are clearly throwing in the towel on 2017. They may have the worst compilation of talent in that offense of any team in the league and that includes the 49ers.

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Sun May 21, 2017 12:38 pm

skip wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 12:13 pm
Space Cowboy wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 10:15 am Low end RB2. He looked real good two years then they inexplicably signed Forte who Powell easily out performed.
I wouldn't say "inexplicably". Powell has been with the Jets for 6 years and the team has never viewed him as their starter. When Ivory left, bringing someone else in was a forgone conclusion. I'd say it's surprising they didn't bring anyone in this season but they are clearly throwing in the towel on 2017. They may have the worst compilation of talent in that offense of any team in the league and that includes the 49ers.
Yes he was not the answer but he looked tremendous down the stretch two years ago. Sure a compliment was needed but Forte came in and started getting 30 touches a game. As Forte wore down Powell stepped up and again finished strong. He has a very nice burst, good vision and reliable hands.

The offense was already slow, old and predictable with two big possession WRs, no TE and a mediocre QB with Fitzpatrick. Another older player was not the answer and Forte didn't elevate the offense at all. I thought it was a bad signing.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Tue May 23, 2017 12:13 pm

Uh oh...

Speaking Tuesday, Jets OC John Morton said he's planning to use a backfield-by-committee in 2017.
Morton said it will vary week to week whether Bilal Powell or Matt Forte takes the lead. Morton is mostly just confirming the obvious, but it's our strong suspicion that Powell will lead in touches more often than not. He was the far more dynamic player in 2016, making plays on all three downs. Now 31, Forte has lost a step or three. It could be a frustrating situation, but Powell is definitely the preferred own.

Maybe coach speak. Maybe not. Not much out there in free agency so we'll see where it goes. Hard to see Powell with any value past this year.

Witchit Straws
Starter
Starter

Postby Witchit Straws » Tue May 23, 2017 1:03 pm

He out performed Forte at the end of last year
Garrapolo, Trubisky,
Mixon, R Freeman, T Cohen, L Miller, Mack, C Thompson, Breida, Powell, Abdullah
Arob, Landry, Cupp, Chris Godwin, Lockett, Zay Jones, Taywan Taylor,
Kelce, Kroft, Jesse James

keebs3
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby keebs3 » Tue May 23, 2017 1:23 pm

I actually like Powell this year. I think he's due to breakout. I'd take him while I can
The Usurpers-10 team-.5PPR-1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 1FLEX
Adopted/Rebuilt 2016-2017 | 2018 Runner up

QB: Deshaun Watson -Cam Newton | Baker Mayfield | Daniel Jones
RB: Saquon Barkley | David Johnson -Breida | Duke | Armstead | D. Harris | J. Samuels
WR: DeAndre Hopkins | Keenan Allen | Stefon Diggs -Christian Kirk | JJAW | James Washington | Hurd
TE: Hunter Henry -Austin Hooper | Irv Smith Jr.

Warriors of the Scarlet Eye-10 team-PPR-Best Ball League-2QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 2FLEX
Est. 2017 | 2018 League Champion :trophy: | 2019 Runner up

QB: Russell Wilson | Baker Mayfield -Carson Wentz
RB: Joe Mixon | Dalvin Cook | Nick Chubb -Mark Ingram | Royce Freeman | Justice Hill | Matt Breida | Bernard | Jonathan Williams
WR: Davante Adams | Mike Evans | Julio Jones -Sammy Watkins | John Brown | DeVante Parker | Deebo Samuel | Nelson Agholor | Terry McLaurin
TE: Evan Engram -Hunter Henry | Ian Thomas | Jacob Hollister

derekhiny
Captain
Captain

Postby derekhiny » Tue May 23, 2017 1:50 pm

skip wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 12:13 pm Uh oh...

Speaking Tuesday, Jets OC John Morton said he's planning to use a backfield-by-committee in 2017.
Morton said it will vary week to week whether Bilal Powell or Matt Forte takes the lead. Morton is mostly just confirming the obvious, but it's our strong suspicion that Powell will lead in touches more often than not. He was the far more dynamic player in 2016, making plays on all three downs. Now 31, Forte has lost a step or three. It could be a frustrating situation, but Powell is definitely the preferred own.

Maybe coach speak. Maybe not. Not much out there in free agency so we'll see where it goes. Hard to see Powell with any value past this year.
I agree with Powell not having any value past this season, but I don't see any reason to find why this news blurb is an "uh oh". Nobody was expecting Powell to be a bellcow, anyways. At least, I hope they weren't. The tepid interest/excitement from some stems from the hope that Powell and Forte will reverse their shares of the RBBC.

Last year, Forte handled about 56% worth of their combined touches. Granted, the only reason Powell ended up with a 44% share was because Forte missed the final 2 games, otherwise that number would be slightly lower. But regardless, I don't think it's unreasonable to think those percentages will flip. Forte, another year older with another 250 touch season last year, will not hold up. I could easily envision about a 50/50 split early, as the coach has said; but by season's end, I think Powell will finish with 60%+ of their combined touches. A Forte injury, ineffectiveness, whatever the case may be.

Point being, Powell should be a rock solid RB2 from the beginning in PPR formats; one that can be had on the cheap, with potential for more as the season moves along. Especially once McCown inevitably gets injured and the QB reins are handed over to either Petty or Hack. Young, terrible QBs are checkdown Charlie's, which will only enhance the PPR value of the RBs.

If I'm a contending team, I'd have no problems sending my late projected 2018 2nd for his services as a 1 year rental.
12 Team Full Point PPR / IDP

QB - A-Rod, Russ Wilson, Lamar Jax,
RB - Zeke, DJ, Ingram, J Howard, Penny, Ware
WR - Nuk, Julio, D Adams, Cooks, A Cooper, Kirk, E Sanders, Albert Wilson, Deon Cain, Brandon Powell, Lasley
TE - Kittle, Delanie, Goedert, Brate, Eifert, Shaheen
DE - Hunter, Melvin Ingram, JPP, Fowler, Nassib, Golden, Turay
LB - Keuchley, Telvin, Deion Jones, Fred Warner
DB - Bates, John Johnson, McDougald, Justin Reid, Geathers, R Harrison, Whitehead

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Tue May 23, 2017 2:35 pm

He's a Waldman favorite .. heard many times he liked him as much as DeMarco Murray
@PlankMelody

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Tue May 23, 2017 2:42 pm

Powell is the type of player who's worth more on your roster as depth then selling for capital cause it's rare anyone will give you anything of substance. While I think it's unlikely Powell plays a huge role on your roster for the duration of the season, I think it's likely as he showed last year and even a bit at end of 2015, that he will have a stretch where he becomes an auto start at RB and potentially win you important games.