Rookie Draft Picks

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
JoshuaGordon_9
Starter
Starter

Rookie Draft Picks

Postby JoshuaGordon_9 » Sun May 07, 2017 9:50 am

Team one in signature

The rest of my league finally caught on. They noticed that I own 5 of the top 17 picks, and a few more scattered throughout, and with the hype at a peak with these rookies, they want picks, they all do. I'm getting two types of offers, from multiple owners:

1. "I want to move back in the draft"
2. "I want to move from late 2nd/early 3rd to high second"

Neither entice me. I like the talent level where I'm at. Highly doubtful I move up in the draft as most owners want 2-3 of my picks for me to move up to the 1.05-1.07 range, and no one at that range will, IMO, be that much of a difference maker that I "Need" to make that deal. I'll take a shot with multiple picks, rather than "all in" on one guy.

Another option would be to try and ship a few of my picks to an owner who is clearly rebuilding, and go after their 18 1st? Obviously no guarantee on who will get what pick, but I'm not ruling it out.

If I am to trade picks, what should I be looking for? I tend to look at the ADP on this site, and use that as a guide, but I wouldn't want to miss an opportunity to help my team if someone is willing to overpay for a rookie right now...
Team 1: 12T PPR SF no premiums, 4pt TDs
QB(1-2) Herbert, Tua
WR(3-5) AJB, Adams, Sutton, Boyd, Bourne, Wicks
RB(2-4) JT, Kyren, Swift, Singletary, Moss, Ford Dobbins, Tucker
TE(1-3) Hock, Jonnu, Kmet, Kraft
3.06, 3.09

Team 2: 12T PPR, TE premium, SF
QB(1-2) Cousins, Love, Tanny, Trask, McCoy, Zappe
WR(2-6) Lamb, Olave, Hollywood, Godwin, JaMo, Sutton, Diontae, Lazard, McKensie
RB(2-6) ETN, A. Jones, Dillon, Hunt, Moss, K. Miller, S. Tucker
TE(1-5) Hock, Brock Wright, Everett

Team 3: 12T PPR SF TE Prem
QB(1-2) Fields, Young, Darnold, Trask, Dalton
WR(1-6) AJB, Pittman, Hollywood, Sutton, M. Williams, Davis, Meyers, Van Jefferson, Sheperd, McKensie
RB(1-6) Jacobs, Sanders, Akers, Hunt, T. Spears, C. Brown
TE(1-6) Schultz, Hurts, Conklin

Shcritters
MVP
MVP

Re: Rookie Draft Picks

Postby Shcritters » Sun May 07, 2017 1:34 pm

I am a big fan of trading for poor teams future 1st. Yes, there is a lot of risk in it, but that is how I'm sitting with the 1.03 this year (traded JStew and Langford for a future 1st). In the past I've gotten 1.02's, 1.04's, etc.
Gopher Two
PPR SF, WR & TE Premium (WR 1.2 PPR , TE 1.5 PPR), 10 total starters, 1 QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Mahomes, Prescott, Mayfield
RB: Hall, Pacheco, Jacobs, Connor, Chubb, Mattison
WR: Tyreek, AJ Brown, Flowers, CSutton, JJeudy, Slayton, Iosivas
TE: McBride, DSchultz, Musgrave, Kraft, MGesicki
2024: 1.02, 2.02
2022 and 2023 League Champ

SafeLeague #1 (12 team, SF, 2.0 PPR TE Prem). 10 total starters 1 QB, 1SF (QB/TE/RB/WR), 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Purdy, Levis, DTR
RB: Pacheco + scrubs
WR: Downs, MMims, EMoore, Jeudy, MWilson + scrubs
TE: Hock, Kincaid, Pitts, Mayer + scrubs
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.11, 2.01, 2.02, 2.06,
2025: 2 1sts, 2 2nds

SafeLeague #2
QB: Purdy, Richardson, Hooker, Willis
RB: literal ZERO RB (for now)
WR: Mingo, MMims, Toney, Skyy, Iosivas
TE: LaPorta, Kincaid, McBride, Mayer, Musgrave, Schoonmaker (and a bunch more 2nd stringers)
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.06, 1.08, 1.09, 1.10, 2.01, 2.05, 2.06
2025: 1 1st, 1 2nd

colonnaj94
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby colonnaj94 » Sun May 07, 2017 1:37 pm

I would try to move 1.09 and 1.12 for a pick in the 1.04-1.06 range. I'd have no problem with that. The talent drop off is somewhere around the 1.08 spot this year IMO
32 Team .5 PPR, 2 Copies
QB Lawrence, Ridder
RB Bijan Robinson, Walker, Javonte Williams, Dillon
WR Pickens, Dell, Doubs, Reed, Mims
TE Freiermuth

12 Team PPR
QB Young
RB Harris, Pierce, Chandler, Bigsby, Kelley
WR Johnston, Wicks, Mingo, W Robinson, Z Jones, Marshall, Pierce, Toney, Perry
TE Freiermuth, Ferguson, Kraft, Gray
(3) 24 1sts, (5) 24 2nds, (2) 25 1sts, (2) 25 2nds

12 Team PPR SF TE Premium IDP
QB Tagovailoa, Burrow
RB Chubb, Ford, Warren, Pierce, Javonte Williams, N Harris
WR Allen, Samuel, Pittman, Metcalf, Ridley, Rice
TE Goedert, Bryant, Hill
DL Watt, Sieler, Jones, P Smith, Simmons, Lawrence, Z Smith
LB Morrow, Deablow, To'oTo'o
DB Holland, Winfield, Wallace, Bell

12 Team PPR SF TE Premium IDP
QB Mahomes, Tannehill
RB Mostert, Pacheco, Montogmery, Pierce, Ford, Warren, Javonte Williams
WR Chase, Allen, Sutton, Pittman, Doubs
TE Kelce, Hurst, Dulcich
DL Hunter, Cooper, Allen, Autry, Carter, Young
LB Franklin, Oluokun, Singleton
DB Smith, Curl, Love, Byard, McKinney

collbey
All Pro
All Pro

Postby collbey » Sun May 07, 2017 2:42 pm

Wouldn't do anything until you are on the clock with your picks. You have the flexibility to move around during the draft to target players you like, and you will probably get some surprisingly good offers when on the clock. Just finished a draft in which had 5 1sts, 4 2nds, and 2 3rds. Of those I drafted from the spot I was at 4 times, moved down, up, and for picks next year with the others.

Edited: Just noticed your 1st pick is at 9. Would try to move to the top 5 if you are targeting one of the top RBs, otherwise would sit tight.

Kramer
MVP
MVP

Postby Kramer » Sun May 07, 2017 3:03 pm

I would be willing to package 3 of those picks to move up to the top 4 if anyone would budge.
10 team SF .5ppr-QB,2RB,3WR,TE,Flex,SF,Def (30 spots)
QB: Allen, AR, Brissett
RB: Mixon,Barkley,Rhamondre,Foreman
WR: Deebo,Adams,Jeudy, Devonta,Nuk
TE: Knox,Chig, Woods, Ferguson
2023 picks: 2, 3, 6, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14, 18, 19, 20
2024 picks: 3 2nds
2025 picks: 3 2nds

chuy1530
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby chuy1530 » Sun May 07, 2017 3:28 pm

I see a big drop off in talent after 1.4 (or 1.5 if you're high on Cook, which I'm not), so packaging a couple to move up and grab MCaff/Dixon/Davis/Mixon would probably make sense. I'd probably try and combine 1.09 with 2.02 and 2.05 or something to make the move up; I'm not in love with many of the guys in the second round so that one big potential pick would be more valuable to me than several with less potential and more risk.
Team 1 (Regular Dynasty)
12 Team .5 PPR league, no D or K, 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex (RB/WR/TE)

QB: Aaron Rodgers, Eli Manning, Patrick Mahomes
WR: Odell Beckham Jr, Dez Bryant, Stefon Diggs, Jordan Matthews, Terrell Pryor, Willie Snead, Breshard Perriman, Chris Godwin
TE: Tyler Eifert, Austin Hooper, Jonnu Smith
RB: Leonard Fournette, Carlos Hyde, CJ Anderson, Doug Martin, Paul Perkins, Terrance West, Bilal Powell, Tarik Cohen

Team 2 (Salary Cap, $167 cap, finishing auction so years not assigned yet)
12 team league. .5PPR but 1PPR for TEs. 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 FLEX, 1 SFLEX
QB: Manning (16), Roethlisberger (22)
RB: Gordon (19.50), Gurley (17), West (3), Joe Williams (4.75)
WR: Hill (11.50), Pryor (10.50), Crowder (8), Britt (5.50), Ross (5.25), Godwin (4.75), Garcon (4.5), Treadwell (2), T. Williams (.75), Higgins (.75)
TE: Gronkowski (17.75), Hooper (5.75), Julius Thomas (1.75)
Taxi Squad: C. Kelly, S. Curtis, T. Taylor, J. Smith

ravn88
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ravn88 » Sun May 07, 2017 3:56 pm

You lack superstars in my opinion. Go after top 3-4 there you should be abel to get a stud.

How does it work with trades during draft?
How long are you on the clock ?
Team 1 : 1QB 2RB 3 WR 1TE 1Flex 1K 1TM 2 IR 12 Keepers

QB: Carson Wentz, P. Mahomes
RB: A. Jones, MGIII, Dobbins, L. Bell, Ingram, J Williams & Gaskin
WR: D. Hopkins, J. Jones, K. Allen, J Crowder, Humpries & Agolor
TE: E. Engram, Trey Burton, V Davis & J. Doyle

Team 2: 1QB 1 SF 3RB 5WR 2TE 2FLEX DEF 26 Keepers 2019 Champ :thumbup: 2020 third place

QB: J. Allen Wentz Watson D. Lock.
RB: Barkley Zeke CEH J. Robinson D. Freeman Penny
WR: M. Thomas Cooper Godwin Juju J. Washington Renfrow, Jeudy, R. Moore TreQuan, P. Williams
TE: Waller Engram OJH & Everett
DEF: Pats & Browns

Team 3: 1QB 1SF 2RB 2WR 1TE 1FLEX DEF K

QB: Wilson Wentz Tannehill Brees Haskins Foles
RB: CMC Zeke Miles CEH AP J. Jackson B. Scott
WR: Evans Adams Landry Metcalf E. Sanders Lazard
TE: Engram Hurts Ebron Herndon

JoshuaGordon_9
Starter
Starter

Postby JoshuaGordon_9 » Sun May 07, 2017 4:40 pm

ravn88 wrote: Sun May 07, 2017 3:56 pm You lack superstars in my opinion. Go after top 3-4 there you should be abel to get a stud.

How does it work with trades during draft?
How long are you on the clock ?
We have yet to make a time limit on our draft. Last year it was an 10 hour clock I would imagine it will be very close to that.

We are allowed to trade whatever whenever, we don't have to be on the clock to make trades.

Barring AJG I do agree that the top-end talent on my team is scarce. It's worth consideration I suppose. It's a similar spot to where I was last year when I sold most of my seconds to acquire MThomas (sold him already). Got him at the 1.08, and feel like I almost fell into riches on that one, and don't want to rely on that type of chance every year. Thanks for the suggestion.
Team 1: 12T PPR SF no premiums, 4pt TDs
QB(1-2) Herbert, Tua
WR(3-5) AJB, Adams, Sutton, Boyd, Bourne, Wicks
RB(2-4) JT, Kyren, Swift, Singletary, Moss, Ford Dobbins, Tucker
TE(1-3) Hock, Jonnu, Kmet, Kraft
3.06, 3.09

Team 2: 12T PPR, TE premium, SF
QB(1-2) Cousins, Love, Tanny, Trask, McCoy, Zappe
WR(2-6) Lamb, Olave, Hollywood, Godwin, JaMo, Sutton, Diontae, Lazard, McKensie
RB(2-6) ETN, A. Jones, Dillon, Hunt, Moss, K. Miller, S. Tucker
TE(1-5) Hock, Brock Wright, Everett

Team 3: 12T PPR SF TE Prem
QB(1-2) Fields, Young, Darnold, Trask, Dalton
WR(1-6) AJB, Pittman, Hollywood, Sutton, M. Williams, Davis, Meyers, Van Jefferson, Sheperd, McKensie
RB(1-6) Jacobs, Sanders, Akers, Hunt, T. Spears, C. Brown
TE(1-6) Schultz, Hurts, Conklin

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Sun May 07, 2017 8:30 pm

I can see why other owners would want at least 3 picks for you to move up into the top 5. Your picks are all late 1st and after. If you can package any 3 of your picks for the 1.05 or higher, I'd do it in a heart beat.

apbohannon
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby apbohannon » Mon May 08, 2017 4:20 am

Picks: 2017: 1.09, 1.12, 2.02, 2.04, 2.05, 2.12, 3.04, 4.10, 4.11, 4.12
2018: 1,1,1,2,2,3,4,4

I'm a big fan of consolidating later picks to get early round chances, which is where most of the talent is going to be. Not to say you can't find a guy (Dak went in the mid-3rd in most of my leagues last year), but most of the time you're throwing darts that will never land or net you little in terms of difference makers. If I were in your shoes I'd try to capitalize on rookie fever and try to move up in this years draft by packaging as many 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks in combination with your late firsts ti move up and get some players with true difference making potential. Obviously people fall every year, but I'd rather have my pick of the litter rather than hoping talent falls to me.

I also like trading for next year's picks like you mentioned as a possibility. Trading a late first or early second for a projected early first next year is a smart move IMO. I know some people don't like that, but I'm a fan. For instance, I just traded the 1.11 and Kenneth Dixon for what should be a top 3 pick next year (I had already traded him for his 1st this year which ended up being the 1.04).

Regardless of whether they are picks this year or next, or even proven players, take advantage of the rookie fever and capitalize on adding value. Based on your picks you have lots of draft capital this year and next, but do you have the roster space necessary to roster all of those guys? Are the guys that you pick in the 3rd and 4th rounds going to stay on your team, or will they be cut to make room for your 1st round picks next year? Like I said, just consolidate all of that draft capital into high quality pieces to add to your roster, otherwise lots of darts just become drop candidates to make room for other darts.
Team 1:
12 Teams, PPR
QB - J. Garoppolo, J. Goff, P. Mahomes
RB - Tevin Coleman, Rashaad Penny, CJ Prosise, Mike Gillislee, Derrius Guice, Tarik Cohen, Joe Mixon
WR - C. Davis , J.Doctson, Ty. Williams, T. Lockett, M. Mitchell, M. Gallup
TE - A. Hooper, OJ Howard, D. Njoku

Team 2:
12 Teams, PPR, SF
QB - A. Rodgers, A. Luck, M. Mariota, K. Lauletta
RB - K. Hunt, A. Kamara, K. Dixon, J. Adams, M. Breida, CJ Prosise, B. Scarbrough
WR - M. Evans, D. Hopkins, A. Robinson, C. Godwin, K. Golladay, M. Valdes-Scantling, J. Ross, A. Darboh, A. Lazard, I. Zamora, L. Carroo
TE - E. Engram, OJ Howard
DT - S. Day, D. Hand, D. Irving, M. Jackson, S. Williams
DE - V. Curry, K. Ealy, J. Jenkins, R. Quinn, J. Sheard, D. Walker
LB - D. Bucannon, P. Smith, D. Trevathan, S. Griffin, R. Ragland, J. Bynes, B. Hager, K. Ishmael, M. Jefferson, M. Judon, B. Marshall, C. Matthews, W. Mercilus, P. Onwuasor
DB - A. Amos, T. Apke, A. Bethea, P. Chung, D. Everett, T. Gipson, M. Hyde, G. Quin, D. Hill