OTC startup quick advice needed (poll and topic adjusted)

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.

Who do I draft in 12 team PPR?

Carr
41%
Winston
32%
Mariota
23%
Dak
5%
Ryan
No votes
Dixon
No votes
Perkins
No votes
Ertz
No votes

Total votes: 22

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Re: OTC startup quick advice needed (poll and topic adjusted)

Postby skip » Mon May 08, 2017 8:29 am

ewalling wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 8:14 am I see it as Hopkins=1.3/1.9 Gurley=1.4/1.10, Luck=1.5/2.3 Reed=1.7
If someone were to post a trade like this (those picks for these players), I doubt there is going to get a single vote for the picks side. This draft has some decent RBs and TEs. After Davis the WRs quickly become suspect. And the QBs are highly questionable.

You note you intentions to flip the picks during the rookie draft. Given this is a startup league, I suspect you are going to have a tougher time with that than you think and not get as much value as you think you will.

Good luck.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

pierson242
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby pierson242 » Mon May 08, 2017 8:34 am

skip wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 8:29 am
ewalling wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 8:14 am I see it as Hopkins=1.3/1.9 Gurley=1.4/1.10, Luck=1.5/2.3 Reed=1.7
If someone were to post a trade like this (those picks for these players), I doubt there is going to get a single vote for the picks side. This draft has some decent RBs and TEs. After Davis the WRs quickly become suspect. And the QBs are highly questionable.

You note you intentions to flip the picks during the rookie draft. Given this is a startup league, I suspect you are going to have a tougher time with that than you think and not get as much value as you think you will.

Good luck.
You undersold! Gurley and Hopkins normally bring in the 1.01 plus some by themselves. Good luck though to each their own
Devy Writer and Ranker for DLF

Follow me on Twitter @PiersonFF

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Mon May 08, 2017 8:48 am

Carr is the best option at QB.

jeaton6
Captain
Captain

Postby jeaton6 » Mon May 08, 2017 1:14 pm

pierson242 wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 8:34 am
skip wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 8:29 am

Good luck.
You undersold! Gurley and Hopkins normally bring in the 1.01 plus some by themselves. Good luck though to each their own
I haven't seen anyone being able to sell Gurley for 1.1 this offseason. Every Gurley trade I've seen posted is around 1.2 max, Hopkins pretty much as well. The luster is off these two. In this forum I believe there's a poll on Luck. You should check it out, believe majority are saying they'd pay 1.5-1.7. In 4 point per pass TD he's not as valuable. Reed is polarizing player but would venture most would take 1.7 in a heartbeat for him.

I would bet quite a bit the picks side would not only get votes but for each one listed would get roughly half the votes or more. My intentions are to flip the picks for vets or future picks where it makes sense. I'll put these player vs picks polls up later. Couple that with all the other pieces and it's a no brainer IMO.

I'm not worried about the WRs in this draft that much as I'm not going to invest too heavily in them. It's why I've drafted the guys I have thus far. QB? Why we talking QB regarding this rookie draft? There are still a ton of great young QBs to nab in the startup. This draft has some "decent RBs and TE's"? Come on now. 2 RBs and 3 WRs picked in top 10. 3 first round TEs would say otherwise. I trust NFL evaluators more than anyone person. I'd say the top 7 or so are the best group we've seen before seeing them play since 2014 and one of the best classes we've ever seen at the top and depth wise.

You two are classic vet for picks guys, I get it. I like working with your types. You give me future 1sts + for 32 y/o Brandon Marshalls and 29 y/o Matt Fortes and draft those guys in top 5 startup rounds to try to win year one. I used to be the same way. While this draft I've gone deeper down the rat hole than ever before it's been fun and while my team may not compete this year (depending on how easily I'll be able to trade :) ) I'll be set up nicely Year 2.
Team 1 (Sunday Collisions): 12 Team PPR: QB/2 RB/3 WR/TE/Flex 27 Roster
**6 straight championships**
QB: Allen, Watson, Prescott, Purdy, Darnold, Ridder
RB: Taylor, Ekeler, Mixon, Cook, Mattison, Kelley, Blackshear
WR: Adams, Diggs, Devonta Smith, Diontae Johnson, Richie James, Van Jefferson, Landry, Duvernay
TE: Kelce, Ruckert
PK: Bass, Dicker
DEF: Ravens, Jets, Chiefs, Bucs
2023 Picks: 2.5

Team 2 (Shakeweight): 12 Team PPR: QB/2 RB/3 WR/TE/Flex 25 Roster, 3 man rookie taxi

QB: Burrow, Cousins
RB: McCaffrey, Barkley, Jacobs, Gibson, Dillon, Patterson, Mason, Blackshear, Hilliard
WR: Tyreek, Juju, Diontae Johnson, Thielen, Bateman, Claypool, Landry, Corey Davis, Thornton
TE: Kelce, Hockenson, Engram
PK: Gano, Succop
DEF: Jets, Bucs
Taxi: Airton, Likely, Ferguson
2023 Picks: 1.3, 1.5, 1.10, 2,3, 3.10, 4.10, 5.10

Mtt33
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Mtt33 » Mon May 08, 2017 1:35 pm

Can you list out the trades of made? I'm interested. I think I'd prefer to draft your picks, but I don't think the value is as bad as the people above once you tie the future firsts in as well.

ADrunkenCaveman
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby ADrunkenCaveman » Mon May 08, 2017 1:47 pm

My biggest issue with what you did is kind of what Skip hit on.
Since this was a recent startup everyone who would have wanted those rookie picks woulda had them.. You will get the whole "I drafted Cooper in the 1st round no way I'm trading him for the 1.01 that went in the mid second straight up" kind of talks. I know this for a fact because in a SF start up that we did recently, 2 teams did a similar strategy as you did and both have the same picks they started with because they cant move them. People, including myself, keep telling them they are asking way too much for them when realistically alot of the offers they are giving us are similar to the ones on the forum that people are saying they would rather have the pick over the player.
Its hard to trade right after ANY startup since everyone drafted THEIR guys for a reason. I hope you dont have the same luck as multiple people who do this strat, but I feel you will!
17-2
The Wookies
12 team PPR League
S: 1QB, 2RBs, 3WRs, 1TE, 1FLEX, 1K, 1DEF

QBs: Brady, Flacco
RBs: Zeke, D Murray, McKinnon, Powell
WRs: Hopkins, Cooks, J Nelson, Baldwin, R Matthews, Quick
TEs: Reed, Rudolph, Davis
K: Dawson
DEF: CAR, BAL

9-1
Tune Squad
16 team .5PPR League
S: 1QB 1RB 1WR 1TE 3FLEX

QBs: Wilson, Keenum, Flacco
RBs: McCoy, Howard, McKinnon, B Allen, Woodhead
WRs: Evans, Julio, Tate, Smith
TEs: Rudolph, Clay

8-2
Midwest Folks
Co-Owner: pierson242
16 team .5PPR Full IDP League
S: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 3FLEX

QBs: Brees, Wentz, Beathard
RBs: Murray, Miller, Ingram, Gore, Riddick
WRs: AB, Hilton, Dez, Tate, Lafell, Inman, Rodgers, Kearse
TEs: Rudolph, Davis, Watson
DTs: Short, McCoy, Lotulelei, Allen, Sims
DEs: Dunlap, Hicks, Wolf, Robison
LBs: Kirksey, Williams, Foster, Hicks, Perryman, Posluszny, Alexander, Walker, Morgan
CBs: Alford, Slay, Harris, Waynes, Randall, Bradberry, Trufant
Ss: Vaccaro, Mathieu, Church, Evans, Sendejo

vixen
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby vixen » Mon May 08, 2017 3:41 pm

while i agree with the logic that if a team wanted 1.02 they would have taken it , i do think that if owner's were drafting a name rather than a pick, they would go sooner...
for instance, in a recent start up (a little different because it is superflexs so 7 QBs went in the first 3 rounds)...pick 1.01 went with pick 3.02 (#38), 1.02 drafted at 3.10 and 1.03 @ 4.03...the most recent dynasty rankings has Corey Davis @ 20, followed by mccaffrey/fournette @ 29 and 30 ...the excitement of rookie draft will likely have some teams will likely get caught up in the excitement of a name and trade players to jump in...

good luck, i do think you got a little carried away, but you will have fun....

btw: Carr is the answer with this pick...
team 1 -start QB RB 2WR TE 2RB/WR 1WR/TE
qbs=5pt tds wr/te=1 ppr rbs=.5ppr all get .25ppc
Watson, Brady, Mills
Ekeler, Hunt, Carson/Penny, DForeman, Mitchell, CPat, Kyren, Ford, KHarris
Cooper, sutton, Chase, Shepard, Atwell, Schwartz, Wan'Dale, Austin III
Gesicki, Engram, Hooper, Woods
team 2 -start QB 2RB 3WR TE 2Flex K D
Cousins, Stafford
DH JT, Ekeler, Kylin Hill, Herbert, KHarris, Chandler
Hopkins, Diggs, Adams, Godwin, McLaurin, Callaway, DPJ, Robby Anderson, Schwartz, Pierce, Wan'Dale, Doubs
Kelce, Andrews, Jacob Harris

jeaton6
Captain
Captain

Postby jeaton6 » Mon May 08, 2017 9:25 pm

Mtt33 wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 1:35 pm Can you list out the trades of made? I'm interested. I think I'd prefer to draft your picks, but I don't think the value is as bad as the people above once you tie the future firsts in as well.
15 trades out of total 27 during startup. Here's link to my trades:

https://www71.myfantasyleague.com/2017/ ... 07&DAYS=30
WR: Adams, Diggs, Devonta Smith, Diontae Johnson, Richie James, Van Jefferson, Landry, Duvernay

Team 2 (Shakeweight): 12 Team PPR: QB/2 RB/3 WR/TE/Flex 25 Roster, 3 man rookie taxi

RB: McCaffrey, Barkley, Jacobs, Gibson, Dillon, Patterson, Mason, Blackshear, Hilliard
WR: Tyreek, Juju, Diontae Johnson, Thielen, Bateman, Claypool, Landry, Corey Davis, Thornton

jeaton6
Captain
Captain

Postby jeaton6 » Mon May 08, 2017 9:29 pm

ADrunkenCaveman wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 1:47 pm My biggest issue with what you did is kind of what Skip hit on.
Since this was a recent startup everyone who would have wanted those rookie picks woulda had them.. You will get the whole "I drafted Cooper in the 1st round no way I'm trading him for the 1.01 that went in the mid second straight up" kind of talks. I know this for a fact because in a SF start up that we did recently, 2 teams did a similar strategy as you did and both have the same picks they started with because they cant move them. People, including myself, keep telling them they are asking way too much for them when realistically alot of the offers they are giving us are similar to the ones on the forum that people are saying they would rather have the pick over the player.
Its hard to trade right after ANY startup since everyone drafted THEIR guys for a reason. I hope you dont have the same luck as multiple people who do this strat, but I feel you will!
Thanks I appreciate those insights. Thankfully rookie draft is planned for June so will be a few weeks for people to build up their rookie fever. Also, the difference here is the picks were not part of the startup. We picked our startup draft order and then got the opposite slot of that pick. So I selected 1.11 startup and received 1.2/2.2/3.2 rookie to start with. These guys didn't exactly trade any one player or pick for these rookie picks they were part of package deals where I kept moving down until early 5. Then switched gears and took youth/upside whenever I couldn't trade down.

jeaton6
Captain
Captain

Postby jeaton6 » Mon May 08, 2017 9:31 pm

Note: I traded the 7.8 for a future 1st. Then took Dak at 8.2.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Mon May 08, 2017 11:14 pm

ewalling wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 1:14 pm You two are classic vet for picks guys, I get it. I like working with your types. You give me future 1sts + for 32 y/o Brandon Marshalls and 29 y/o Matt Fortes and draft those guys in top 5 startup rounds to try to win year one.
Clearly you know absolutely nothing about my methodology and we aren't talking about old players.

Gurley is 22
Luck 27
Hopkins is 24
Reed is 26

You gave away opportunities for young proven studs hoping you get studs from unproven players. Classic case of rookie fever.

I am absolutely a believer in drafting youth in startups but I've seen your strategy attempted many times over the years and never once seen it work.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

jeaton6
Captain
Captain

Postby jeaton6 » Tue May 09, 2017 3:15 am

skip wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 11:14 pm
ewalling wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 1:14 pm You two are classic vet for picks guys, I get it. I like working with your types. You give me future 1sts + for 32 y/o Brandon Marshalls and 29 y/o Matt Fortes and draft those guys in top 5 startup rounds to try to win year one.
Clearly you know absolutely nothing about my methodology and we aren't talking about old players.

Gurley is 22
Luck 27
Hopkins is 24
Reed is 26

You gave away opportunities for young proven studs hoping you get studs from unproven players. Classic case of rookie fever.

I am absolutely a believer in drafting youth in startups but I've seen your strategy attempted many times over the years and never once seen it work.
I only picked those 4 because they were in my consideration set and to me best value at the time. Gurley is a proven stud? Hopkins is a proven stud? Reed is a proven stud (maybe when healthy but we all know his value is lower than a true stud due to injury risk).

Thankfully I don't know much about your process, but if it's as good as your understanding of dynasty value or math, or just good old fashioned common sense best I don't.

You deal in absolutes. "You doubt a single person would take the picks side"."You've seen the strategy many times and Never once seen it work". These are ridiculous, non-sensical comments looking for a reaction. You're trolling man. Get over yourself.

I'll get those polls up today.

pierson242
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby pierson242 » Tue May 09, 2017 3:43 am

Not trolling just posting for anyone interested in seeing the results of the polls

viewforum.php?f=5

jeaton6
Captain
Captain

Postby jeaton6 » Tue May 09, 2017 3:48 am

pierson242 wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 3:43 am Not trolling just posting for anyone interested in seeing the results of the polls

viewforum.php?f=5
Perfect thank you.

pierson242
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby pierson242 » Tue May 09, 2017 3:50 am

ewalling wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 3:48 am
pierson242 wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 3:43 am Not trolling just posting for anyone interested in seeing the results of the polls

viewforum.php?f=5
Perfect thank you.
No problem, ill try to get over and vote and give some input when I get the chance, be interesting to see what happens.