Gillislee or a 3rd

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.

Gillislee or 3.11

Gillislee
86%
3.11 ( Balanced offense and IDP rookie draft)
14%

Total votes: 43

Mitchdp2
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Gillislee or a 3rd

Postby Mitchdp2 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:16 pm

skip wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:33 pm I am not sure why everyone is just leaping to the assumption that Gillislee is going to get the Blount role in that offense...
See my post above about goal line capabilities. BB never pays RB's so the fact that he gave Gillislee and Burkhead both substantial money plus the fact that there are 4 RBs we'd currently roster means he is likely done adding backs, unless he sees one he loves in the draft. As for why Gillislee in the Blount role, he is the biggest power back in the offense (10 lbs on Burkhead and plays bigger) and doesn't have the same pass catching prowess. So why else would BB pony up not only $6M but also a fifth rounder unless he was going to give Gillislee that role? Seems like a safe bet to me. Granted, an argument could be made that without the Brady suspension, we won't ride the power back as much as last year, but to me he's the clear RB for that role.
14 team, .5 PPR, 4pt passing TD, yardage + big play bonuses
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex, 1 TE, 1 K, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 1 DP

QB: Rodgers, Jimmy G, Willis
RB: Ekeler, Jacobs, McKinnon, TDP, Murray
WR: Adams, Hill McLaurin, Duvernay, MVS, Julio, Osborn, Ross
TE: Higbee, Taysom, Fant, McBride
K: Bass
DL: Watt, Allen, Heyward
LB: Wagner, Leonard
DB: Jackson, Edwards, Adams

Big Al
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Big Al » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:29 pm

I'd easily keep Gilislee over the 3.11

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:18 pm

Chandler Bing wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:34 am Might as well keep Gillislee unless you get 2nd round pick or better
I agree.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:22 pm

:twisted:
Mitchdp2 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:16 pm
skip wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:33 pm I am not sure why everyone is just leaping to the assumption that Gillislee is going to get the Blount role in that offense...
See my post above about goal line capabilities. BB never pays RB's so the fact that he gave Gillislee and Burkhead both substantial money plus the fact that there are 4 RBs we'd currently roster means he is likely done adding backs, unless he sees one he loves in the draft. As for why Gillislee in the Blount role, he is the biggest power back in the offense (10 lbs on Burkhead and plays bigger) and doesn't have the same pass catching prowess. So why else would BB pony up not only $6M but also a fifth rounder unless he was going to give Gillislee that role? Seems like a safe bet to me. Granted, an argument could be made that without the Brady suspension, we won't ride the power back as much as last year, but to me he's the clear RB for that role.
Blount was used all over the field. I don't see that here. I see a short yardage back at best and 10 pounds is nothing. He's still 30 pounds lighter than Blount which puts him in the typical size for just any running back. I wouldn't trade him for the 3.11 but by the same token I am not giving up a draft pick in any round to get him.

Also note this is a.balanced IDP draft so the pick should be comparable to a middle 2nd in a non IDP format. That's decidedly an overpay.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Prospector
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Prospector » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:58 pm

Let the hype build and get into that 2nd range!

Mitchdp2
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Mitchdp2 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:02 pm

skip wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:22 pm :twisted:
Mitchdp2 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:16 pm
Blount was used all over the field. I don't see that here. I see a short yardage back at best and 10 pounds is nothing. He's still 30 pounds lighter than Blount which puts him in the typical size for just any running back. I wouldn't trade him for the 3.11 but by the same token I am not giving up a draft pick in any round to get him.

Also note this is a.balanced IDP draft so the pick should be comparable to a middle 2nd in a non IDP format. That's decidedly an overpay.
Skip, you missed the point of my last post which was simply to shed light on why he will be the early-down back. All I was saying is Gillislee is the biggest RB on the roster and best in short yardage situations, as blount was last year. You can evaluate and value him as you want, but to be honest his play the past year was great and the stats show that. If you'd rather have the upside of a random 3rd rd rookie so be it, and you can completely justify it, I just like what I saw and was providing context based on last year's stats and an evaluation of Beli's tendencies with RBs. As for blount being involved all over the field, that's a stretch, and it should say something that belichick gave Gillislee 2 year for $6M when he only paid blount 1 yr 1.5M just a year ago, not to mention the fact that bill also had to give the bills, a direct rival, a 5th rounder to do so.
14 team, .5 PPR, 4pt passing TD, yardage + big play bonuses
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex, 1 TE, 1 K, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 1 DP

QB: Rodgers, Jimmy G, Willis
RB: Ekeler, Jacobs, McKinnon, TDP, Murray
WR: Adams, Hill McLaurin, Duvernay, MVS, Julio, Osborn, Ross
TE: Higbee, Taysom, Fant, McBride
K: Bass
DL: Watt, Allen, Heyward
LB: Wagner, Leonard
DB: Jackson, Edwards, Adams

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:41 pm

Mitchdp2 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:02 pm As for blount being involved all over the field, that's a stretch
299 carries (#2 in the NFL) and 1161 yards didn't come from only short yardage or goal line situations. He was absolutely used all over the field. Gillislee could very well lead the Patriots backfield in carries but I expect will be lucky to get half as many as Blount did last season.

I don't like investing in uncertain backfield situations and this one may be the foggiest of them all.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.