Draft Strategy

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
Motay316
Role Player
Role Player

Draft Strategy

Postby Motay316 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:07 pm

I have the 1.11, 2.04, and 2.08, in a rookie draft. My objectives in this draft is to pick one of the top TE's Howard, Engram, or Njoku and still somehow manage to get Deshaun Watson and the best available RB. I'm conflicted as far as whether to go with the TE first because I'm not sure Watson would be available at 2.04 or grab Watson at 1.11 and hope one of the big 3 TE's drop to me at 2.04. What do you guys think I should go for first, Watson or the TE, will either be available at 2.08? Thanks for all responses!!!
Team A-1 Pt PPR, 1 Pt per 10yds rec, rushing, 1 Pt 30 yds passing, 6 Pts per TD, 2 pts per tackle
QB-Rodgers, Lawrence, Tannehill
RB-CMC, Henry, Kamara, Patterson, Mattison
WR-Waddle, Lamb, Godwin, Aiyuk, Thomas,
TE-Andrews, Engram, Njoku, Smith Jr., Henry
K-
DL-Leonard, Wilkins, Buckner
LB-Wagner, Werner, Leonard
DB-Buddah Baker, Jamal Adams, Harrison Smith, White

Team B-1 Pt PPR, 1 Pt per 10yds rec, rushing, 1 Pt 30 yds passing, 6 Pts per TD, 2 pts per tackle
QB-A. Richardson, Rodgers, L. Jackson, Love
RB- Conner, McGlaughlin
WR-Chase, Kupp, McLaurin, Aiyuk, Diontae Johnson, Kirk, Dotson
TE-Ferguson, Higbee
K-Blankenship
DL- Wilkins, Hunter
LB-David, Hendricks, CJ Mosely, Holecomb
DB- Baker,

Spider-2 Y-Bananza
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Draft Strategy

Postby Spider-2 Y-Bananza » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:21 pm

Is this Superflex? I'll assume yes because Watson probably won't go until Round 3 in a typical league, so if that's the case I'd wait at least until 2.8 to take him. I think the gap between the top 3 TE's and guys like Hodges/Shaheen/Everett/etc. is much bigger than the gap between Watson and Trubisky/Mahomes/etc.

Motay316
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Motay316 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:25 pm

This is actually a 1 QB league, I think he will have appeal as the top QB (depending on landing spot) thats why I don't think he will last until 2.4 or 2.08. I know there is a lot of hype over Trubisky and Mahomes but I think Watkins is the top QB prospect this year based on his body of work.
Team A-1 Pt PPR, 1 Pt per 10yds rec, rushing, 1 Pt 30 yds passing, 6 Pts per TD, 2 pts per tackle
QB-Rodgers, Lawrence, Tannehill
RB-CMC, Henry, Kamara, Patterson, Mattison
WR-Waddle, Lamb, Godwin, Aiyuk, Thomas,
TE-Andrews, Engram, Njoku, Smith Jr., Henry
K-
DL-Leonard, Wilkins, Buckner
LB-Wagner, Werner, Leonard
DB-Buddah Baker, Jamal Adams, Harrison Smith, White

Team B-1 Pt PPR, 1 Pt per 10yds rec, rushing, 1 Pt 30 yds passing, 6 Pts per TD, 2 pts per tackle
QB-A. Richardson, Rodgers, L. Jackson, Love
RB- Conner, McGlaughlin
WR-Chase, Kupp, McLaurin, Aiyuk, Diontae Johnson, Kirk, Dotson
TE-Ferguson, Higbee
K-Blankenship
DL- Wilkins, Hunter
LB-David, Hendricks, CJ Mosely, Holecomb
DB- Baker,

Bay City Original
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Bay City Original » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:37 pm

In a 1QB league I'd go with your TE with your 1st rounder and try to take Watson with your 2.08 pick. I think it's more likely all the TEs will be gone by 2.04 than Watson being taken. If you really think Watson will be gone by 2.08 and really want him, grab him at 2.04. Most will say you're drafting Watson too high in the 2nd but if that's your guy you gotta go get him, especially if you don't have any early 3rd round picks.
Team 1 -12 Team, 0.5 PPR, QRRWWWTF 2022 Champ
QB: Allen, Purdy, Love
RB: Mixon, AJones, Swift, Dillon, Dobbins
WR: Jefferson, AJB, DJM, NCollins, Sutton, NCollins, Mingo
TE: Hockenson

Team 2 -12 Team, 0.5 PPR, QRRWWWTF - 2023 Champ
QB: Murray, Love
RB: Hall, Gibbs, Walker, Dobbins, KMitchell, EMitchell
WR: DSmith, Addison, Kupp DJM, Dionte, Chark
TE: Engram, Mayer, Waller
1.02, 1.09, 2.09, 2.12

Team 3-12 Team, SF, 0.5 PPR, QRRWWWTFS - 2023 Champ
QB: Purdy, Dak Stafford
RB: Taylor, Henry, Conner Najee, Warren, ZMoss EMitchell
WR: Samuel, DJM, Sutton Bateman, Pierce, Chark
TE: Kittle
1.02, 1.12, 2.12; 2025 1st x2, 2nd x3

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:48 pm

I'd prefer to go best player available with each pick, but if you must take a TE, I'd do that first. I wouldn't even bother drafting Watson, unless it was in the third (makes no sense to take him that early in a 1QB league). If I were you though, I'd package the 1.11 and 2.04 to move up a few spots to try and land Howard if you need TE help.

Spider-2 Y-Bananza
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Spider-2 Y-Bananza » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:05 pm

At the end of the day you should take your guy and be comfortable with it, but what's a realistic ceiling for Watson in the foreseeable future? Top-end QB2? QB landscape is a little unstable in the next 2-3 years, but let's play out the best case scenario for you and say all of the older QB's retire or are replaced. You're still looking at Rodgers, Luck, Wilson, Mariota, Carr, Newton, Ryan, Stafford, Cousins, and Dak all definitely ahead of where his ceiling is. That puts you at QB11, and maybe you can talk yourself into him being ahead of Cousins and Dak in three years---I can't---but remember that we're talking about his ceiling, and there are some really highly touted guys coming behind him. Now you compare that to the TE class, and people are already slotting all three into the Top 10 dynasty TE's, at a position with so much more scarcity. The only thing between those three, and the top of the top will be a 31 year-old Gronk, 30 y/o Kelce.