Guests have us outnumbered 3 to 1. Sad.

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
Ray Finkle
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Guests have us outnumbered 3 to 1. Sad.

Postby Ray Finkle » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:20 pm

It's established that many of us appear as guests while on our mobile devices until we realize it and log in. Serious question here...what's the big problem with people visiting the forum without registering and just reading without contributing though? I know it's not the best comparison but I've listened to sports talk on terrestrial radio my entire adult life and never called to contribute. I guess I'm a lurker.

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:42 pm

Ray Finkle wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:20 pm It's established that many of us appear as guests while on our mobile devices until we realize it and log in. Serious question here...what's the big problem with people visiting the forum without registering and just reading without contributing though? I know it's not the best comparison but I've listened to sports talk on terrestrial radio my entire adult life and never called to contribute. I guess I'm a lurker.
This is how I feel too. I admit, I'm ignorant as to what the problem with being a serial lurker is?
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

saw061600
Legend
Legend

Postby saw061600 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:44 am

I believe serial lurking is a problem based upon the definition of the terms listed: talk radio and forum, and the philosophy of social contract.
talk ra·di·o
a type of radio broadcast in which the presenter talks about topical issues and encourages listeners to call in to air their opinions.
fo·rum
a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.
so·cial con·tract
an implicit agreement among the members of a society to cooperate for social benefits

To elaborate: Talk radio and forums are philosophically very different. In talk radio, someone is paid to offer opinion and commentary and others are encouraged to call in with supporting or opposing position for the sake of adding to the entertainment or further exploration of the topic. There is no implicit agreement to contribute because the host is paid and participation is encouraged.

A forum, as a meeting place where ideas are exchanged, carries the implied contract that all members will contribute to the exchange. Not that anyone should be expected to contribute to every topic. A reader may not have interest in a topic, may not feel strongly one way or another about the topic, or may just not feel competent to offer an opinion on a certain topic. Possibly you have an account and just don't feel like participating that day and choose not to log in, lurking instead. All okay. But if you are always lurking, or worse don't even have an account, you are violating the implied social contract. At the end of the day though, the best case against serial lurking is the fact that the value of the forum, as a resource, is directly tied to the number of participants and the rate of exchange of ideas that occur within the forum.
10 TM No PPR or waiver 85RST
Herbert Fields Garoppolo Ridder
JT Barkley Etienne Ingram Charb CEH
Evans Aiyuk Dionte Jeudy London JWill GWils EMoore JMyers Mims Moorex2
Andrews Kinkaid Pits Freiermuth
NBosa Quinnen DJJones Clark F-Myers Taylor Graham
Darius Okereke Kendricks DCampbell DJones Baker Kiser Brooks
Adams Simmons Vaccaro Joseph

12 TM .5ppr 45 RST
Herbert Stroud Mayfield
JT Achane Kamara Ford Pacheco Jaleel
AJB DK Godwin Aiyuk Kirk ZJones RMoore Thornton
Hock F-muth
LWilliams Payne Reed Greenard
Bernard Kendricks Warner Baker Williams Tranquil
Budda McKinney Clark Wilson

1-2QB 2-4RB 3-5WR 1-3TE 11OFF/DEF
Herbert Stafford Brock Dobbs
Taylor Jacobs Mattison Kyren Jaleel Ford Bigsby
AJB Diggs Evans Kirk McLaurin Dionte Boyd Renfrow JuJu
Kelce Pitts Deguara
Hutchinson Rousseau Greenard Travon Demarcus
QWilliams EJones TBernard Dean ShaqT Kyzir
Amos Bates Peppers Murray Fitz Clark

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:51 am

saw061600 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:44 am I believe serial lurking is a problem based upon the definition of the terms listed: talk radio and forum, and the philosophy of social contract.
talk ra·di·o
a type of radio broadcast in which the presenter talks about topical issues and encourages listeners to call in to air their opinions.
fo·rum
a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.
so·cial con·tract
an implicit agreement among the members of a society to cooperate for social benefits

To elaborate: Talk radio and forums are philosophically very different. In talk radio, someone is paid to offer opinion and commentary and others are encouraged to call in with supporting or opposing position for the sake of adding to the entertainment or further exploration of the topic. There is no implicit agreement to contribute because the host is paid and participation is encouraged.

A forum, as a meeting place where ideas are exchanged, carries the implied contract that all members will contribute to the exchange. Not that anyone should be expected to contribute to every topic. A reader may not have interest in a topic, may not feel strongly one way or another about the topic, or may just not feel competent to offer an opinion on a certain topic. Possibly you have an account and just don't feel like participating that day and choose not to log in, lurking instead. All okay. But if you are always lurking, or worse don't even have an account, you are violating the implied social contract. At the end of the day though, the best case against serial lurking is the fact that the value of the forum, as a resource, is directly tied to the number of participants and the rate of exchange of ideas that occur within the forum.
Sometimes I lurk outside of Burger King, and smell them cooking fresh chicken fries...
HERBERT, Baker
KITTLE
/
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
KITTLE, Goedert
/
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
/
R WILSON, Minshew
KELCE, Schultz
/
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
LAPORTA

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:46 am

The guests aren't any worse than the over 5000 registered users who have zero posts. Nothing wrong with lurking.

Would be nice to have more voices sharing opinions but not everyone is comfortable speaking their minds or feel like they have anything worthwhile to add.

mullmania
MVP
MVP

Postby mullmania » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:11 am

My issue is that I pay for a site that I have to re log in to every time I want to make a post. That's not a business model that will last.

pierson242
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby pierson242 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:11 am

mullmania wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:11 am My issue is that I pay for a site that I have to re log in to every time I want to make a post. That's not a business model that will last.
You don't have to pay to use the forum?
Devy Writer and Ranker for DLF

Follow me on Twitter @PiersonFF

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:22 am

mullmania wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:11 am My issue is that I pay for a site that I have to re log in to every time I want to make a post. That's not a business model that will last.
Looks like you've been a member since 2012, so I guess it's lasting pretty well. I agree it's a nuisance, but it takes 5 seconds to log-on? I doubt that keeps anyone from coming on here to utilize the forums.

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:43 am

We don't pay for the forum. We pay for the DLF site. Totally different sites & platforms
HERBERT, Baker
KITTLE
/
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
KITTLE, Goedert
/
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
/
R WILSON, Minshew
KELCE, Schultz
/
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
LAPORTA

GridironGuerilla
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby GridironGuerilla » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:05 am

lukkynumber13 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:42 pm
Ray Finkle wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:20 pm It's established that many of us appear as guests while on our mobile devices until we realize it and log in. Serious question here...what's the big problem with people visiting the forum without registering and just reading without contributing though? I know it's not the best comparison but I've listened to sports talk on terrestrial radio my entire adult life and never called to contribute. I guess I'm a lurker.
This is how I feel too. I admit, I'm ignorant as to what the problem with being a serial lurker is?
These are my sentiments as well.
"If on 4th down, the quarterback doesn't complete his pass, they will turn over the ball."

-Booger McFarlland

Phil21
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Phil21 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:02 pm

I am usually one of these guest. As you can see I don't post much, but I read quite a bit of the threads 8-)
16 team, Non-PPR, 6PT QB TDs, Return Yard Points.
Start: QB - RB RB - WR WR WR - TE

QB - Burrow, Stafford, Brissett
RB - Pierce, J. Williams (DEN), Mostert, Elliott, Ealy, Reynolds
WR - Nacua, McLaurin, Hopkins, J. Willams (Det), Hardman, Smith-Schuster, Cooks, Beckham
TE - Kelce, Engram

Picks - 24 1st (Early), 24 2nd, 25 1st, 25 1st, 25 2nd

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby M-Dub » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:06 pm

saw061600 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:44 am I believe serial lurking is a problem based upon the definition of the terms listed: talk radio and forum, and the philosophy of social contract.
talk ra·di·o
fo·rum
so·cial con·tract

Interesting and thoughtful take, but I think you're being a little heavy-handed with the whole social contract concept. These are public forums, so I don't see anything inherently wrong with just coming here and reading. Some people just don't really have the inclination to engage on a deeper level than that. But just lurking also caps the benefits you reap from the forum. You can read threads, but you can't contribute to them or post your own. I think the violation of the social contract comes into play when you actually do register and then only ask for advice and never give any.

I'd compare it to the social contract of tipping servers and delivery drivers. You don't have a legal obligation to do so, but not doing so is a violation of that particular social contract and is just a straight-up dick move. That's the guy who always asks for advice and never reciprocates.

But if you order take out, you're choosing not to get the added benefit of table service or home delivery, so you're not really taking advantage of the people who provide those services for tips. That's the guy who just lurks and never posts. He's not giving advice, but he's not asking for any either.

It'd be pretty easy to make these forums private and eliminate the "problem" of lurkers, but that'd probably do more harm than good if the goal is to build the community here. I also suspect that a lot of the guests probably aren't "serial lurkers" but just people who found their way here looking for an answer to a specific dynasty question. I think it's a credit to these forums, and the website as a whole, that if you type just about any dynasty-related query into Google, at least a couple of the top results are probably gonna lead you here.
Both are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

🦬PRIME🦬
QB: Hurts, Howell
RB: Mixon, Jones, Sanders, Dobbins, Akers, Roschon, Dowdle, Kelley
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert
TE: Hockenson, Chig, Trautman
Taxi: Willis, Z. White, M. Mims, T. Palmer

Hull Awaits
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5
TE: Thomas $1/0, Hill $1/0, Parham $1/0

Coogan Football
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Coogan Football » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:08 pm

Phil21 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:02 pm I am usually one of these guest. As you can see I don't post much, but I read quite a bit of the threads 8-)
Then why not just contribute a little bit....Just like plenty of people did on your old 1.01 trade thread 8-)
12 team 6pts all TDs/.5ppr/SFlex/ balanced IDP, scoring est. 2008
Start QB,SF,2RB,3WR,TE,2Flex,3DL,3LB,3DB,2DFlex
3x Champion 2015, 2016, 2017
QB: Brees, Luck, Prescott, McCarron, C.Kelly, Peterman
RB: Elliott, Gurley, Hunt, Kamara, Gordon, Howard, McCaffrey, J.Williams,
WR: Julio, Hopkins, M.Thomas, TY, Watkins, Kupp, C.Davis, Thomas (LA), Carroo, Switzer, Tr. Taylor
TE: Olsen, Engram, Howard, Fleener, Swoope
DL: Watt, Mack, C.Jordan, Bosa, D.Hunter, Clowney, Armstead
LB: Kuechly, Ogletree, Mosley, McKinney, R.Foster, Bucannon, Z.Cunningham, Anzalone, ShaqT,
, Goodson, Pullard,
DB: H.Smith, Vaccaro, B.Jones, Neal, Adoree, K.Joseph, Geathers, M.Maye, J.Jones, D Thompson

Don't be the guy that asks for advice without giving some out yourself
#WhoDat

Phil21
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Phil21 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:11 pm

Coogan Football wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:08 pm
Phil21 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:02 pm I am usually one of these guest. As you can see I don't post much, but I read quite a bit of the threads 8-)
Then why not just contribute a little bit....Just like plenty of people did on your old 1.01 trade thread 8-)
Sorry I made such a polarizing thread :ewink:
16 team, Non-PPR, 6PT QB TDs, Return Yard Points.
Start: QB - RB RB - WR WR WR - TE

QB - Burrow, Stafford, Brissett
RB - Pierce, J. Williams (DEN), Mostert, Elliott, Ealy, Reynolds
WR - Nacua, McLaurin, Hopkins, J. Willams (Det), Hardman, Smith-Schuster, Cooks, Beckham
TE - Kelce, Engram

Picks - 24 1st (Early), 24 2nd, 25 1st, 25 1st, 25 2nd

Favrezilla
MVP
MVP

Postby Favrezilla » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:17 pm

I only log-in to comment, and i try to do so in at least a couple threads every couple days, i DO however read many threads daily, i just dont feel strongly (or educated enough in some cases) enough to comment (i.e. if you EVER say something about IDP i aint commenting...just not my thing my values are way off)

so i really dont get this thread, who cares is my response...and i believe 90% of the "guests" are people like me either coming to see if there is a good thread that is relevant to their dynasty setups or players and comment on them.
T.1 - 12 team Superflex- 1xQB - 2xRB - 3xWR - 1xTE - 1xSFlex (13th year) ‘21&’22 champ
QB: Mahomes, Burrow, Stafford,
RB: Mixon, Henry, zeke, Rochon
WR: Godwin, Olave, Deebo,DJM, Dell, MW, Doubs
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Musgrave

T.2 - 12 team Superflex- 1xQB - 2xRB - 3xWR - 1xTE - 1xSFlex - 1xWRT Flex (10th year)
QB: Burrow, Baker,Jameis, jimmy, Wentz,
RB: Saquon, Mixon, Rochon, Evans
WR: Pickens, QJ, Thielen, Arob, Juju, ODB, D. Parker, Osborn,
TE: Kincaid, Ertz, Freirmuth, Taysom, JWoods

T.3 - 12 team Superflex- 1xQB - 2xRB - 3xWR - 1xTE - 1xSFlex - 1xWRT Flex (3rd year) ‘21&’22 champ
QB: Mahomes, Burrow, Winston, Darnald
RB: JT, Javonte,Sanders, JCook, Jamaal
WR: Godwin, Waddle, ARSB, Pittman, MW, Jameson, Zay, Claypool, Toney, Terrance
TE: Hock, Fant, McBride