Guests have us outnumbered 3 to 1. Sad.

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
slacker
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Guests have us outnumbered 3 to 1. Sad.

Postby slacker » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:19 pm

I think that it is mostly members who are not logged in. I think if you are into Dynasty and take the time to peruse this forum you are not going to be able to keep you mouth shut on some of the topics that come up so most lurkers have an account, but a lot of times we don't feel strongly enough about a topic to log in and make my comment so we just lurk. I would be interested in some metrics if there are any admins reading this. Do forum logon rates increase during the season? What happens to the logon/lurker ratio during the season?
12 team PPR, 22 Roster, QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 2 FLEX, K, DEF
Rivers, Eli
Watkins, Evans, Keenan, Hopkins, Pryor, R. Matthews, Marshall, P. Richardson, CPatt
McCoy, Zeke, Rawls, Ware
Gronk, Njoku, Butt, Everette, Higbee

eraldo_coil
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby eraldo_coil » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:23 pm

I get that the more people contributing on the forum brings a greater set of ideas and opinions to the table, but forcing people to post or making them feel stupid for lurking is the antithesis of what a healthy community should look like, IMO.
Team 1
12-team, 0.5 PPR, SuperFlex, TE Premium (+0.5 PPR) | 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 3FLEX, 1SF

QB: Hurts, Herbert, Cousins, Purdy
RB: Taylor, Barkley, Swift, Mixon, N.Harris, Hunt, Dobbins
WR: Jefferson, Adams, Metcalf, Godwin, Ridley, Lockett, Cooks
TE: Kittle, Njoku, Gesicki

Team 2
12-team, PPR | 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2FLEX

QB: Wilson, Jones
RB: Robinson, Gibbs, Mixon, Sanders, R. White
WR: Lamb, Godwin, Lockett, Addison, D. Johnson, Meyers, Campbell, R. Moore
TE: Kincaid, Dulcich, Fant

Coogan Football
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Coogan Football » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:26 pm

Comments on thread about forum activity even though he has never actually contributed any meaningful content or advice, but better yet stays online to post again and still doesn't get the hint.... Genius...
12 team 6pts all TDs/.5ppr/SFlex/ balanced IDP, scoring est. 2008
Start QB,SF,2RB,3WR,TE,2Flex,3DL,3LB,3DB,2DFlex
3x Champion 2015, 2016, 2017
QB: Brees, Luck, Prescott, McCarron, C.Kelly, Peterman
RB: Elliott, Gurley, Hunt, Kamara, Gordon, Howard, McCaffrey, J.Williams,
WR: Julio, Hopkins, M.Thomas, TY, Watkins, Kupp, C.Davis, Thomas (LA), Carroo, Switzer, Tr. Taylor
TE: Olsen, Engram, Howard, Fleener, Swoope
DL: Watt, Mack, C.Jordan, Bosa, D.Hunter, Clowney, Armstead
LB: Kuechly, Ogletree, Mosley, McKinney, R.Foster, Bucannon, Z.Cunningham, Anzalone, ShaqT,
, Goodson, Pullard,
DB: H.Smith, Vaccaro, B.Jones, Neal, Adoree, K.Joseph, Geathers, M.Maye, J.Jones, D Thompson

Don't be the guy that asks for advice without giving some out yourself
#WhoDat

Coogan Football
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Coogan Football » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:28 pm

eraldo_coil wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:23 pm I get that the more people contributing on the forum brings a greater set of ideas and opinions to the table, but forcing people to post or making them feel stupid for lurking is the antithesis of what a healthy community should look like, IMO.
Nobody is "forcing" anyone to post anything, but it doesn't take Mathew Berry to be able to throw in their two cents about fantasy stuff.

When I did the rookie write-ups on here last off-season I purposely put them under my subforum just so people would have to create a forum account to read all of them. (League subforums are private and only viewable to registered forum members)
WR: Julio, Hopkins, M.Thomas, TY, Watkins, Kupp, C.Davis, Thomas (LA), Carroo, Switzer, Tr. Taylor
LB: Kuechly, Ogletree, Mosley, McKinney, R.Foster, Bucannon, Z.Cunningham, Anzalone, ShaqT,
, Goodson, Pullard,
DB: H.Smith, Vaccaro, B.Jones, Neal, Adoree, K.Joseph, Geathers, M.Maye, J.Jones, D Thompson

#WhoDat

Bay City Original
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Bay City Original » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:40 pm

I also wonder if what's shown is not "real" but just some program glitch. I remember when it used to be that after making a new post, seconds later the stats will show that double digit views have been made to that post... impossible.

And since this is in the Advice section...

I advise people not to worry about it... those who are creepers and not contributors seem to base their decisions on what the rest of us might say... have your own opinion.
Team 1 -12 Team, 0.5 PPR, QRRWWWTF 2022 Champ
QB: Allen, Purdy, Love
RB: Mixon, AJones, Swift, Dillon, Dobbins
WR: Jefferson, AJB, DJM, NCollins, Sutton, NCollins, Mingo
TE: Hockenson

Team 2 -12 Team, 0.5 PPR, QRRWWWTF - 2023 Champ
QB: Murray, Love
RB: Hall, Gibbs, Walker, Dobbins, KMitchell, EMitchell
WR: DSmith, Addison, Kupp DJM, Dionte, Chark
TE: Engram, Mayer, Waller
1.02, 1.09, 2.09, 2.12

Team 3-12 Team, SF, 0.5 PPR, QRRWWWTFS - 2023 Champ
QB: Purdy, Dak Stafford
RB: Taylor, Henry, Conner Najee, Warren, ZMoss EMitchell
WR: Samuel, DJM, Sutton Bateman, Pierce, Chark
TE: Kittle
1.02, 1.12, 2.12; 2025 1st x2, 2nd x3

eraldo_coil
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby eraldo_coil » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:55 pm

Coogan Football wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:28 pm
eraldo_coil wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:23 pm I get that the more people contributing on the forum brings a greater set of ideas and opinions to the table, but forcing people to post or making them feel stupid for lurking is the antithesis of what a healthy community should look like, IMO.
Nobody is "forcing" anyone to post anything, but it doesn't take Mathew Berry to be able to throw in their two cents about fantasy stuff.
So? Maybe people are new to dynasty and don't feel comfortable posting yet? Maybe people just want to read the discussions without feeling like they have to make noise because others are telling them they need to? This is a public forum. People don't have to post if they don't want to, plain and simple.
Coogan Football wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:28 pm When I did the rookie write-ups on here last off-season I purposely put them under my subforum just so people would have to create a forum account to read all of them. (League subforums are private and only viewable to registered forum members)
Look, I completely agree that the more people who post, the better. What I don't agree with is the approach that many people are taking here to try and encourage people to do so. Posting a thread saying how "sad" it is that guests outnumber those of us with accounts is passive aggressive and unbecoming.

This forum is great and I hope more people feel encouraged to post their ideas and opinions, but if not that's OK too.
Team 1
12-team, 0.5 PPR, SuperFlex, TE Premium (+0.5 PPR) | 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 3FLEX, 1SF

QB: Hurts, Herbert, Cousins, Purdy
RB: Taylor, Barkley, Swift, Mixon, N.Harris, Hunt, Dobbins
WR: Jefferson, Adams, Metcalf, Godwin, Ridley, Lockett, Cooks
TE: Kittle, Njoku, Gesicki

Team 2
12-team, PPR | 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2FLEX

QB: Wilson, Jones
RB: Robinson, Gibbs, Mixon, Sanders, R. White
WR: Lamb, Godwin, Lockett, Addison, D. Johnson, Meyers, Campbell, R. Moore
TE: Kincaid, Dulcich, Fant

saw061600
Legend
Legend

Postby saw061600 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:34 pm

saw061600 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:44 am I believe serial lurking is a problem based upon the definition of the terms listed: talk radio and forum, and the philosophy of social contract.
talk ra·di·o
a type of radio broadcast in which the presenter talks about topical issues and encourages listeners to call in to air their opinions.
fo·rum
a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.
so·cial con·tract
an implicit agreement among the members of a society to cooperate for social benefits

To elaborate: Talk radio and forums are philosophically very different. In talk radio, someone is paid to offer opinion and commentary and others are encouraged to call in with supporting or opposing position for the sake of adding to the entertainment or further exploration of the topic. There is no implicit agreement to contribute because the host is paid and participation is encouraged.

A forum, as a meeting place where ideas are exchanged, carries the implied contract that all members will contribute to the exchange. Not that anyone should be expected to contribute to every topic. A reader may not have interest in a topic, may not feel strongly one way or another about the topic, or may just not feel competent to offer an opinion on a certain topic. Possibly you have an account and just don't feel like participating that day and choose not to log in, lurking instead. All okay. But if you are always lurking, or worse don't even have an account, you are violating the implied social contract. At the end of the day though, the best case against serial lurking is the fact that the value of the forum, as a resource, is directly tied to the number of participants and the rate of exchange of ideas that occur within the forum.
Okay, woke up about 90 minutes early, hadn't had coffee, and am teaching philosophy to some Middle School kids right now so out pops social contact theory. Not trying to guilt anyone but do wish we had more people consistently offering opinions on threads. Sometimes the hive mind becomes like a Borg mine..."We are forum" and no other damn opinion will be tolerated. Fresh ideas and takes force everyone to rethink their valuations and that's never a bad thing.

As for "sad". It is sad that more people don't feel they can post. Attacking people who do post doesn't help. If I were a serial lurker, read this post, and saw some attacked for what they wrote I'd probably stay lurking.
10 TM No PPR or waiver 85RST
Herbert Fields Garoppolo Ridder
JT Barkley Etienne Ingram Charb CEH
Evans Aiyuk Dionte Jeudy London JWill GWils EMoore JMyers Mims Moorex2
Andrews Kinkaid Pits Freiermuth
NBosa Quinnen DJJones Clark F-Myers Taylor Graham
Darius Okereke Kendricks DCampbell DJones Baker Kiser Brooks
Adams Simmons Vaccaro Joseph

12 TM .5ppr 45 RST
Herbert Stroud Mayfield
JT Achane Kamara Ford Pacheco Jaleel
AJB DK Godwin Aiyuk Kirk ZJones RMoore Thornton
Hock F-muth
LWilliams Payne Reed Greenard
Bernard Kendricks Warner Baker Williams Tranquil
Budda McKinney Clark Wilson

1-2QB 2-4RB 3-5WR 1-3TE 11OFF/DEF
Herbert Stafford Brock Dobbs
Taylor Jacobs Mattison Kyren Jaleel Ford Bigsby
AJB Diggs Evans Kirk McLaurin Dionte Boyd Renfrow JuJu
Kelce Pitts Deguara
Hutchinson Rousseau Greenard Travon Demarcus
QWilliams EJones TBernard Dean ShaqT Kyzir
Amos Bates Peppers Murray Fitz Clark

Phil21
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Phil21 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:33 am

Coogan Football wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:26 pm Comments on thread about forum activity even though he has never actually contributed any meaningful content or advice, but better yet stays online to post again and still doesn't get the hint.... Genius...
This is the type of person that makes me not want to post.
Last edited by Phil21 on Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
16 team, Non-PPR, 6PT QB TDs, Return Yard Points.
Start: QB - RB RB - WR WR WR - TE

QB - Burrow, Stafford, Brissett
RB - Pierce, J. Williams (DEN), Mostert, Elliott, Ealy, Reynolds
WR - Nacua, McLaurin, Hopkins, J. Willams (Det), Hardman, Smith-Schuster, Cooks, Beckham
TE - Kelce, Engram

Picks - 24 1st (Early), 24 2nd, 25 1st, 25 1st, 25 2nd

Phil21
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Phil21 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:33 am

This is the type of person that makes me want to post more.
16 team, Non-PPR, 6PT QB TDs, Return Yard Points.
Start: QB - RB RB - WR WR WR - TE

QB - Burrow, Stafford, Brissett
RB - Pierce, J. Williams (DEN), Mostert, Elliott, Ealy, Reynolds
WR - Nacua, McLaurin, Hopkins, J. Willams (Det), Hardman, Smith-Schuster, Cooks, Beckham
TE - Kelce, Engram

Picks - 24 1st (Early), 24 2nd, 25 1st, 25 1st, 25 2nd

harr
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby harr » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:11 am

Yeah, I'm the type of person that sees a thread like this and says, "no one will tell me what to do", and just shuts it down. I obviously contribute (well, at least that's what I tell myself), but I don't give a rats behind if others do. Sometimes, there are certain posters that I wish would contribute a little less of their opinion, actually. There are plenty of people on here that post multiple times an hour, and most topics have 10 plus replies within an hour or so. This type of post just sounds like sour grapes from people who sit around hitting refresh all day on this forum, upset because they don't have anything else to do (not saying that is the case OP, or others who feel similar, just using as an example). Lurkers, lurk. Posters, post. It's a free country (although I guess even that gets disputed these days).
@BrianHarrFF

pierson242
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby pierson242 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:24 am

Coogan Football wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:08 pm
Phil21 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:02 pm I am usually one of these guest. As you can see I don't post much, but I read quite a bit of the threads 8-)
Then why not just contribute a little bit....Just like plenty of people did on your old 1.01 trade thread 8-)
Busted.
Devy Writer and Ranker for DLF

Follow me on Twitter @PiersonFF

pierson242
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby pierson242 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:31 am

Phil21 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:33 am
Coogan Football wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:26 pm Comments on thread about forum activity even though he has never actually contributed any meaningful content or advice, but better yet stays online to post again and still doesn't get the hint.... Genius...
This is the type of person that makes me not want to post.
Why because he called you out for asking for advice and not giving any. It could be argued that people like me and Coogan and lots of others who post a lot may not want to post on people with lower ratings because they may not respond back. So maybe someone like you makes me not wanna post. See it can be argued either way. All he ask is if you ask, give a little back. He didn't mean anything in a mean way just asking for some responses back for when you ask for advice man, no hard feelings!

Kramer
MVP
MVP

Postby Kramer » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:31 am

To speak of my own experience, I was definitely a lurker last offseason when I started playing dynasty. It wasn't until I actually needed advice on my own team that I couldn't find anywhere, that I actually started posting. Coogan got me to help others out to get better responses, to which I did. At first it was mostly the easier ones that I would comment on or just a poll. After a couple months of playing and having a better feel, I would start expanding to more threads. I still don't feel competent enough to comment on a lot of stuff, but that'll hopefully get better and better as the years go.

I think the best way to get more and more people is to have the content that people are looking for so that they come here. Once they do come here, not everyone will stop being a lurker, but that's okay. There will be some people (like me) who become posters and want to chime in and that'll help the forums grow.
10 team SF .5ppr-QB,2RB,3WR,TE,Flex,SF,Def (30 spots)
QB: Allen, AR, Brissett
RB: Mixon,Barkley,Rhamondre,Foreman
WR: Deebo,Adams,Jeudy, Devonta,Nuk
TE: Knox,Chig, Woods, Ferguson
2023 picks: 2, 3, 6, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14, 18, 19, 20
2024 picks: 3 2nds
2025 picks: 3 2nds

pierson242
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby pierson242 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:34 am

Kramer wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:31 am To speak of my own experience, I was definitely a lurker last offseason when I started playing dynasty. It wasn't until I actually needed advice on my own team that I couldn't find anywhere, that I actually started posting. Coogan got me to help others out to get better responses, to which I did. At first it was mostly the easier ones that I would comment on or just a poll. After a couple months of playing and having a better feel, I would start expanding to more threads. I still don't feel competent enough to comment on a lot of stuff, but that'll hopefully get better and better as the years go.

I think the best way to get more and more people is to have the content that people are looking for so that they come here. Once they do come here, not everyone will stop being a lurker, but that's okay. There will be some people (like me) who become posters and want to chime in and that'll help the forums grow.
Exactly, you don't have to post on every thread, 1 or 2 a day, then 3-5, then so one. Commenting helps you grow you wisdom and helps your own team. No one is expected to make an account and starting posting on every thread. But if you ask a question you should at least answer 2-3

Coogan Football
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Coogan Football » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:35 am

Phil21 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:33 am
This is the type of person that makes me want to post more.
Then let's see you prove it, here's you chance to give out some help and show that you are here for more than just to read and not contribute anything

:wink:
, Goodson, Pullard,

#WhoDat