Why is LF considered the consensus 1.01?

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.

Who is your current 1.01?

Leonard Fournette
66%
Dalvin Cook
7%
Christian McCaffrey
4%
Joe Mixon
5%
Corey Davis
16%
Mike Williams
2%
Is it someone else?
No votes

Total votes: 56

freddog97
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Why is LF considered the consensus 1.01?

Postby freddog97 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:27 am

pokerplayer1000 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:04 am
MEuRaH wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:46 am In my PPR league last year, the top 4 scoring non-QB positions were (PPG):

DJ
Bell
McCoy
Zeke

Not a WR in the top 4. Zeke isn't even a catching back, and he crushed it in his first year. Recency bias, perhaps.

You give a compelling argument to consider other players at the 1.01 spot, but most people would rather draft a dominating player at their position than to take someone else on a hunch or educated guess.
RBs definitely killed it last year. I am just more curious of what everyone thinks and why. More so to start the discussion, and then perhaps after the draft re-tackling this topic and seeing if things change.
LF has the ability and potential to have an AP type of career. His upside is huge in my league (.25 per carry).
20 team(2 copy) superflex Devy PPR(.5 RB, 1WR, 1.5TE) .25PPC
QBs: Lawrence, Darnold
RBs: Swift, Walker III, Pierce, Allgeier
WRs: Lamb, Higgins, Jeudy, Wilson(NYJ), Olave, Flowers, Cooks, Davis, Doubs
TE: Engram Kincaid Kmet Schoonmaker
Devy: Marvin Harrison Jr
2024: 1st 2nd 3rd 4th

saw061600
Legend
Legend

Postby saw061600 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:34 am

MEuRaH wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:46 am In my PPR league last year, the top 4 scoring non-QB positions were (PPG):

DJ
Bell
McCoy
Zeke

Not a WR in the top 4. Zeke isn't even a catching back, and he crushed it in his first year. Recency bias, perhaps.

You give a compelling argument to consider other players at the 1.01 spot, but most people would rather draft a dominating player at their position than to take someone else on a hunch or educated guess.
Last year was a statistical outlier to an otherwise easily observed trend towards WRs as the safer and most productive option. However, LF has the look of another outlier, like those listed above. I don't think any of the WRs look to offer the positional advantage of an outlier like LF. When you can get a player that offers positional advantage, like Watt for a few years, it doesn't matter if he's a RB, DL, or TE, you get the player and ride the advantage.
EDIT: should point out that I don't view LF as the consensus #1 but was pointing out why he's considered the consensus #1 by so many. I do believe the #1 this year should be a RB.
Last edited by saw061600 on Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
10 TM No PPR or waiver 85RST
Herbert Fields Garoppolo Ridder
JT Barkley Etienne Ingram Charb CEH
Evans Aiyuk Dionte Jeudy London JWill GWils EMoore JMyers Mims Moorex2
Andrews Kinkaid Pits Freiermuth
NBosa Quinnen DJJones Clark F-Myers Taylor Graham
Darius Okereke Kendricks DCampbell DJones Baker Kiser Brooks
Adams Simmons Vaccaro Joseph

12 TM .5ppr 45 RST
Herbert Stroud Mayfield
JT Achane Kamara Ford Pacheco Jaleel
AJB DK Godwin Aiyuk Kirk ZJones RMoore Thornton
Hock F-muth
LWilliams Payne Reed Greenard
Bernard Kendricks Warner Baker Williams Tranquil
Budda McKinney Clark Wilson

1-2QB 2-4RB 3-5WR 1-3TE 11OFF/DEF
Herbert Stafford Brock Dobbs
Taylor Jacobs Mattison Kyren Jaleel Ford Bigsby
AJB Diggs Evans Kirk McLaurin Dionte Boyd Renfrow JuJu
Kelce Pitts Deguara
Hutchinson Rousseau Greenard Travon Demarcus
QWilliams EJones TBernard Dean ShaqT Kyzir
Amos Bates Peppers Murray Fitz Clark

cvbuc
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cvbuc » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:40 am

I agree very much with the question of this post. Fournette would literally have to become AP in order for him to live up to the hype and billing in PPR leagues considering his lack of receiving thus far. That's a lot to wish for. Per usual, the top pick rarely becomes the top player for fantasy in the years ahead.

Personally, I think Cook, Mixon, and McCaffrey all have higher ceilings in PPR with relatively safe floors because of their receiving ability.
TEAM ONE
12 Team PPR League / 5pt passing TDs
2020 & 2021 CHAMPS (2022 Runner Up)
Start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1Flex 1TE 1K 23 Man Active Roster / 3 TAXI SQUAD SPOT
QB - L. Jackson, Cousins
RB - Swift, Ekeler, K. Mitchell, A. Mattison, D. Foreman, C. Rodriguez, E. Mitchell, S, Tucker, J. Wilson
WR - Amon Ra, D. Smith, M. Pittman, DK Metcalf, Jayden Reed, D. Douglas, K. Shakir, D. Wicks, T. Tucker, T. Scott
TE - Kelce, C. Otton, I. Likely, D. Washington
K - B. Aubrey
DEF - Eagles, Dolphins

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:59 am

Fournette the most likely to get 20+ touches a game so that makes him a "safe" projection.

Since all the guys that could potentially be taken there have some sort of game breaking ability, it would make sense to take the guy with the most opportunities to do so...

DBass218
Role Player
Role Player

Postby DBass218 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:13 am

I think Len and Dalvin both have questions but each have an extremely high ceiling. Len as a true workhorse and Dalvin as a complete 3 down back.

I would typically include WRs because I think WRs win leagues, but I don't see a Calvin Johnson in this group that makes them a consensus #1.
50 roster 8 taxi squad 10 team PPR (1pt) IDP (2pt tack/1 pt ast) Best Ball Dynasty
Start QB, 2RB, 3WR, TE, RB/WR/TE Flex, 3DL, 4LB, 4DB
QB: Carson Wentz, Kyler Murray, Dwayne Haskins
RB: Devonta Freeman, Derrius Guice, Ito Smith, Jordan Howard, Tarik Cohen, Chris Thompson, Jalen Richard, Ryquell Armstead, JD McKissic, James Robinson
WR: Julio Jones, Mike Evans, DeAndre Hopkins, Kenny Golladay, Christian Kirk, Terry McLaurin, Courtland Sutton, Golden Tate, Curtis Samuel, Parris Campbell, Steven Sims, Dede Westbrook
TE: Greg Olsen, Hunter Henry, Evan Engram, Dan Arnold
DL: D. Hunter, J. Allen, D. Barnett, C. Jones, C. Young, J. Epenesa
LB: Deion Jones, Fred Warner, Von Miller, Myles Jack, Anthony Barr, Kyzir White, Blake Cashman, Jayon Brown, DeVondre Campbell, Kiko, Jatavis, SDH, Hightower
DB: J.Simmons, J. Reid, V. Bell, J Tartt, Jalen Thompson, Marcus Williams, Shawn Williams, K. Willis

Tyrober
Captain
Captain

Postby Tyrober » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:21 am

Hes the consensus 1.01 because he is going to be a stud wherever he goes. Guys like Cook, McCaffrey, Davis, Williams and Mixon could certainly challenge him but they have to be on the right team in the right situation. After the draft things could get much closer but right now hes the guy.

Kramer
MVP
MVP

Postby Kramer » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:35 am

Fournette will end up going top 4 (worst case top 8) in the NFL draft. He'll be drafted to be the workhorse from day 1. His talent is unquestionable and he doesn't have many (any?) off the field concerns. Regardless of landing spot he'll have a high floor and elite upside. Can't say that for any of the other players. Cook and Mixon have a lot of off the field concerns. Corey Davis is good, but nothing special. WRs like him come out every year. Mccaffrey is very talented, but we don't know how a team would use him exactly. He could be a great passing down back and returner for a team, but not get the early down work as much, which would limit his upside. As others have said, LF is the safest choice and he has elite upside regardless of situation.
10 team SF .5ppr-QB,2RB,3WR,TE,Flex,SF,Def (30 spots)
QB: Allen, AR, Brissett
RB: Mixon,Barkley,Rhamondre,Foreman
WR: Deebo,Adams,Jeudy, Devonta,Nuk
TE: Knox,Chig, Woods, Ferguson
2023 picks: 2, 3, 6, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14, 18, 19, 20
2024 picks: 3 2nds
2025 picks: 3 2nds

thomasscheeks
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby thomasscheeks » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:37 pm

Davis comes from a small school, Williams has trouble creating separation, Cook fumbles a lot and has had multiple run ins with the law, and McCaffrey is likely to be a little scatback.

Then there's Mixon, who I personally think is going to be very very good, but we all know why he probably isn't going #1.

So that leaves the beast that is Fournette. He's going to be a TD monster, so I would still likely take him #1 even in PPR, assuming he doesn't go to a terrible situation. But even if so, he can be a beast on any team. He's just the safest bet and the most likely to be situation proof. Until we know landing spots, he's just the easiest to dub #1 overall. Of course, things could easily change though
10 Man IDP, .75 ppr, Big Play Bonus, TE Prem, 2 QB, 1-3 RB, 2-4 WR, 2 TE, 2 DT, 2 DE, 3 LB, 4 DB, 34 Keepers (17 off - 17 IDP)
QB: Watson, Lawrence, Tannehill, Fitzmagic
RB: Jacobs, Javonte, Drake, Mack
WR: Thomas, DJ Moore, Mike Williams, Golladay, Mooney, Kirk, Shepard, Parker
TE: Kittle, Ito Smith, Ebron, Bryant, Seals-Jones
DT: Simmons, Cox, Oliver, Vea
DL: Bosa, Hunter, Heyward, Greenard, Odeyingbo
LB: Watt, White, Cunningham, Kirksey
DB: Collins, Duggar, J Reid, Clark, Edmunds

12 Man, 1 ppr, 1 QB, 1-3 RB, 1-3 WR, 1 TE
QB: Tua, Jameis, Cam, Taysom
RB: Taylor, Javonte, CEH
WR: Jefferson, Nuk, Diontae, Juju, Shepard, Mooney, Robby Anderson
TE: Henry, Gesicki, Brevin, Cook

12 Man, 1 ppr, 1 QB, 1-3 RB, 1-3 WR, 1 TE
QB: Russ, Matty Ice, Tannehill
RB: CMC, Dobbins, Sanders. Scott, Mack
WR: Nuk, Keenan, Mooney, Patrick, Collins, Dyami
TE: Andrews, Schultz, Brevin, Akins

pokerplayer1000
All Pro
All Pro

Postby pokerplayer1000 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:34 am

thomasscheeks wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:37 pm Davis comes from a small school, Williams has trouble creating separation, Cook fumbles a lot and has had multiple run ins with the law, and McCaffrey is likely to be a little scatback.

Then there's Mixon, who I personally think is going to be very very good, but we all know why he probably isn't going #1.

So that leaves the beast that is Fournette. He's going to be a TD monster, so I would still likely take him #1 even in PPR, assuming he doesn't go to a terrible situation. But even if so, he can be a beast on any team. He's just the safest bet and the most likely to be situation proof. Until we know landing spots, he's just the easiest to dub #1 overall. Of course, things could easily change though
This is something similar to what I see from most people. Everyone points out the flaws they see in every other player but mentions nothing about Fournette's flaws. People hammer Cook for his poor combine, but just ignore the fact that Fournette's athleticism is less that to be desired with his AMAZING 27 inch vert, the worst of any RB, and worst of any RB who has been drafted in round 1 since Mark Ingram, and opting out of every agility measuring drill. Are we all just enamored by his size/speed combo, which I get...I also see AP comparison's, but AP was much more athletic than Fournette is.
10Team-2QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 2FLX 1DL 1LB 1DB
QB: Watson/Lamar/FitzMAGIC
RB: Cook/Jacobs/Kamara/Guice/JWilliams
WR: Kupp/Landry/CRidley/Sutton/Fitz/Campbell/Agholar/Boykin
TE: Henry/Hooper/Fant
DL: Houston/Calias
LB: Littleton/Blake
DB: Walker/Bell
20: 1.02,1.08,2.01,2.05,2.08
21: 2 1sts
-
10Team-2QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 2FLX 1 DE,DT,LB,S,CB,FLX,DL/DB
QB: Goff/Stafford/Fitz/Allen/Luck
RB: Zeke/CMC/DJ/Thompson/Barber/Laird
WR: OBJ/Amari/Keenan/Thielen/Fitz/Deebo/Beasley/Boykin/Renfrow/Harmon(TS)
TE: Ebron/Hooper/Vance/Hurst(TS)/Knox(TS)
DE: Jordan/Bosa/Lawerence
DT: Lawerence/Reader
LB: Jaylon/Martinez/Roquan/Campbell
CB: TWhite/King
S: Johnson III/Bell/Jenkins
-
10Team-2QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 1DL 1LB 1DB 1FLX
QB: Goff/BigBen/Ryan/Rivers/Minshew
RB: MG3/Kamara/Thompson/AP
WR: Julio/Nuk/Adams/MJones/Fitz/Lazard/Tate/Isabella(TS)/Renfrow(TS)
TE: Ertz/Higbee/Ebron/Vance/Knox
DL: Lawerence/Jones(KC)/Ingram
LB: DWhite/Leonard/Werner
DB: Walker/Humphrey
20: 1.06, 1.10, 2.06

koalabear
Captain
Captain

Postby koalabear » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:44 am

Seen the rumours he might go 2 overall to San Francisco, with Hyde moved out?

Whatever it seems like his floor is the Jets at 6, if they stick to their BPA philosophy.
1. 12 team 1pt PPR. Start 1 QB, 2-3 RB, 3-4 WR, 1-2 TE. Yr 7
QB: Murray, Stafford
RB: Dobbins, Sanders, Pearce
WR: Jefferson, Burks, JuJu
TE: Goedert, Everett
2023: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

2. 12 team 1pt PPR. Start 1 QB, 2-4 RB, 3-5 WR, 1-3 TE. Yr 6.
QB: Jackson, Allen
RB: Akers, CEH
WR: Chase, M Brown, Pittman, M Williams
TE: Tonyan, Hooper
2023: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

3. 12 team superflex, PPR (WR/RB/TE 1/1.25/1.5). Start 1-2 QB, 1-7 RB, WR, TE. Yr 5.
QB: Jackson, Prescott, Brady
RB: Singletary, Harris
WR: Jefferson, Adams, Burks, Evans, Lockett
TE: Hockenson
2023: 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 5th

pokerplayer1000
All Pro
All Pro

Postby pokerplayer1000 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:01 am

koalabear wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:44 am Seen the rumours he might go 2 overall to San Francisco, with Hyde moved out?

Whatever it seems like his floor is the Jets at 6, if they stick to their BPA philosophy.
I do agree that he will be the first RB taken. it is curious to see what people think, and why.
10Team-2QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 2FLX 1DL 1LB 1DB
QB: Watson/Lamar/FitzMAGIC
RB: Cook/Jacobs/Kamara/Guice/JWilliams
WR: Kupp/Landry/CRidley/Sutton/Fitz/Campbell/Agholar/Boykin
TE: Henry/Hooper/Fant
DL: Houston/Calias
LB: Littleton/Blake
DB: Walker/Bell
20: 1.02,1.08,2.01,2.05,2.08
21: 2 1sts
-
10Team-2QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 2FLX 1 DE,DT,LB,S,CB,FLX,DL/DB
QB: Goff/Stafford/Fitz/Allen/Luck
RB: Zeke/CMC/DJ/Thompson/Barber/Laird
WR: OBJ/Amari/Keenan/Thielen/Fitz/Deebo/Beasley/Boykin/Renfrow/Harmon(TS)
TE: Ebron/Hooper/Vance/Hurst(TS)/Knox(TS)
DE: Jordan/Bosa/Lawerence
DT: Lawerence/Reader
LB: Jaylon/Martinez/Roquan/Campbell
CB: TWhite/King
S: Johnson III/Bell/Jenkins
-
10Team-2QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 1DL 1LB 1DB 1FLX
QB: Goff/BigBen/Ryan/Rivers/Minshew
RB: MG3/Kamara/Thompson/AP
WR: Julio/Nuk/Adams/MJones/Fitz/Lazard/Tate/Isabella(TS)/Renfrow(TS)
TE: Ertz/Higbee/Ebron/Vance/Knox
DL: Lawerence/Jones(KC)/Ingram
LB: DWhite/Leonard/Werner
DB: Walker/Humphrey
20: 1.06, 1.10, 2.06