this is why calcs dont work

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
Farley
Captain
Captain

Re: this is why calcs dont work

Postby Farley » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:47 pm

Not understanding the point.

Are you saying that the calculator is bad because this is a lopsided offer? Which side has more value?

I'd prefer the Luck side. But could understand if someone would want the other side.

If this is your best example to show that calculators are useless at breaking down the value of both sides of a trade, you have failed.

cvbuc
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cvbuc » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:54 pm

What??
TAKE LUCK.
Martin and Graham could basically be worthless by this time next season and Dak will never be the fantasy QB Luck has been with the offense flowing through Zeke. Luck is the best asset. Not even close.
TEAM ONE
12 Team PPR League / 5pt passing TDs
2020 & 2021 CHAMPS (2022 Runner Up)
Start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1Flex 1TE 1K 23 Man Active Roster / 3 TAXI SQUAD SPOT
QB - L. Jackson, Cousins
RB - Swift, Ekeler, K. Mitchell, A. Mattison, D. Foreman, C. Rodriguez, E. Mitchell, S, Tucker, J. Wilson
WR - Amon Ra, D. Smith, M. Pittman, DK Metcalf, Jayden Reed, D. Douglas, K. Shakir, D. Wicks, T. Tucker, T. Scott
TE - Kelce, C. Otton, I. Likely, D. Washington
K - B. Aubrey
DEF - Eagles, Dolphins

pierson242
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby pierson242 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:09 pm

I would take the luke side also
Devy Writer and Ranker for DLF

Follow me on Twitter @PiersonFF

afrojack
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby afrojack » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:12 pm

skip wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:59 am The minute a reference to a trade calculator enters trade talks, the discussion is basically dead.
I actually like hearing my potential trade partner relies on a calculator. Then I can garner the offer to make it more appealing to his calculator numbers. I keep a list of all my league mates who have sent me a screenshot of calculators and which calculator it was :thumbup:
Team 1: 12-team, 0.5PPR, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1Flex
QB: D.Carr, T.Romo
RB: T.Gurley, C.Anderson, G.Bernard, K.Dixon, J.Charles, L.Blount, T.Hightower, J.Starks
WR: A.Brown, K.Benjamin, E.Sanders, R.Cobb, M. Crabtree, N.Agholor, C.Beasley, E.Rogers, M.Wilson
TE: T.Kelce, M. Bennett, C.Fiedorowicz
Taxi: A.Collins, K.Drake, G.Allison, T.Boyd, C.Peake

Team 2: 12-team, Best Ball, 1PPR, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
QB: A.Luck, P.Rivers, A.Smith, T.Savage
RB: J.Ajayi, S.Ware, Duke.Johnson, W.Smallwood, C.Thompson, M.Asiata, A.Blue, L.Dunbar, F.Whittaker
WR: J.Jones, M.Crabtree, K.Benjamin, J.Matthews, G.Tate, M.Bryant, R.Woods, M.Wilson, E.Rogers, S.Roberts, C.Brown
TE: T.Kelce, J.Thomas, D.Pitta, E.Swoope
Taxi: B.Miller, G.Allison, T.Davis, R.Louis, A.Janovich

derekhiny
Captain
Captain

Postby derekhiny » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:50 pm

afrojack wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:12 pm
skip wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:59 am The minute a reference to a trade calculator enters trade talks, the discussion is basically dead.
I actually like hearing my potential trade partner relies on a calculator. Then I can garner the offer to make it more appealing to his calculator numbers. I keep a list of all my league mates who have sent me a screenshot of calculators and which calculator it was :thumbup:
I do the exact same thing. I am more than happy to take advantage of someone in my league who swears by them, and personally have no problems putting together a 3 for 1 where I am acquiring the stud. And happily showing them that they're winning the trade by 27%, or some garbage.

If you want no further proof of how horrible trade calcs are (for a team not listed in my sig)... in the beginning of last summer, the dynastyfftools calc, which seems to be the most popular one used by my leaguemates in this particular league, actually said that Jeremy Maclin and Kevin White was OVERPAYING for OBJ by 21% !!!!! So guess who reached out to the trade calculator loving OBJ owner, showed him that he was "winning" the trade by a substantial margin, and then acquired him for 2 dimes? Yep. And I don't even feel guilty about it.

Moral of the story ... trade calculators are horrible. But they can certainly be used to your advantage when you're the one offering the nickels and dimes.
12 Team Full Point PPR / IDP

QB - A-Rod, Russ Wilson, Lamar Jax,
RB - Zeke, DJ, Ingram, J Howard, Penny, Ware
WR - Nuk, Julio, D Adams, Cooks, A Cooper, Kirk, E Sanders, Albert Wilson, Deon Cain, Brandon Powell, Lasley
TE - Kittle, Delanie, Goedert, Brate, Eifert, Shaheen
DE - Hunter, Melvin Ingram, JPP, Fowler, Nassib, Golden, Turay
LB - Keuchley, Telvin, Deion Jones, Fred Warner
DB - Bates, John Johnson, McDougald, Justin Reid, Geathers, R Harrison, Whitehead

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:09 pm

One more for the Luck side.

Also agree on trade calculators. I think even the calculator sites say to take it with a grain of salt. It's one reference to check, that's it.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:53 pm

I like trade calculators for draft pick estimates but that's about it...

sugbear65
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby sugbear65 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:16 pm

Those damn trade calculators, never accounting for owner bias.

Rotolibrarian
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Rotolibrarian » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:29 pm

afrojack wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:12 pm
This is a great idea...I don't know why I haven't thought of this yet. Thank you! :thumbup:
Team 1

10 Team 0.5 PPR, 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 FLEX, 1 DEF (21 roster spots total)
QB- Newton, Dak
RB- Zeke, Howard, Gio, C.J. Anderson, Woodhead, Darius Jackson
WR- Cooper, Decker, Sanders, Mitchell, Maclin, Lockett, Doctson, DGB, Agholor
TE- Gronk, Hunter Henry
D- None
2017- 1.07, 1.08, 1.09, 2.01, 2.06, 2.08, 3.09, 4.07, 5.01

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:46 pm

I can see logic for either side personally and am not totally in agreement with the underlying point here. Aren't most deals not 1 for 1? Isn't there always a better player? When more assets are involved, don't they have to be lesser than the top one in order to make it worthwhile? They don't take into account a number of other variables, such as who's on waivers / the value of a roster spots, bench sizes, league sizes, unique scoring, and other things, but if you are able to account for the context of your team and your league, they can provide a sanity check. It still comes down to an owner accepting or rejecting. Can't fault them for trying to avoid sending a low ball offer to hurt future discussions...especially as a commissioner. Yes, sometimes you win, but sometimes you lose...such is pretty much 85% of the deals i see proposed on this forum. The Trade Calculator example is no worse...frankly, from what i've seen it would actually probably help many...

Ryantacular
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Ryantacular » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:42 pm

I don't think Doug Martin plays again. I think dak regresses hard. Graham doesn't close the gap between dak and luck cuz I think dak will score half as much as luck each season. If you want me to elaborate on why it's the luck side for me and not close.

UnsafeAtAnySpd
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby UnsafeAtAnySpd » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:51 pm

Uhh, it seems like this trade actually supports the validity of the trade calculator. Multiple people in this thread taking both sides of the deal. Based on that, it sounds even (and leans in your favor if anything like whomever offered it said).

Cowboysfan33
Legend
Legend

Postby Cowboysfan33 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:56 pm

Pac_Eddy wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:09 pm One more for the Luck side.

Also agree on trade calculators. I think even the calculator sites say to take it with a grain of salt. It's one reference to check, that's it.
I agree with this. I definitely don't swear by them but it has helped me at times.
12 TEAM PPR 1QB 1/3RB 1/3WR 1TE 2FLEX 1D 1K

Team 1: 8-5-2019 Champs 8-5-2020 Champs 11-3-2021 Champs
QBs: D.Carr, C.Wentz
RBs: J.Taylor, A.Jones, J.Mixon, B.Robinson
WRs: T.Hill, C.Lamb, C.Godwin, K.Allen, J.Jones, K.Golladay
TEs: T.Kelce, P.Freiermuth

DLF Series SF TE Premium
2020: 10-3-Championship 2021: 12-2-Runner Up
QBs: J.Allen, Winston, Trubisky
RBs: Ekeler, J.Williams, M.Gordon, J.Jacobs, I.Spiller
WRs: C.Kupp, T.Hill, C.Lamb, C.Godwin, D.Mooney, N.Collins, M.Hardman
TEs: D.Waller, D.Schultz, Albert O

DLF Series SF TE Premium
2020: 9-4

QBs: Mahomes, J.Allen, J.Love, Trubisky
RBs: A.Jones, M.Gordon, McKissic, K.Vaughn, B.Snell
WRs: J.Jefferson, T.McLaurin, K.Golladay, M.Pittman,T.Patrick
TEs: M.Andrews,D.Schultz

2019: 9 championships
2020: 7 championships-including 2 DLF Series Championships
2021: 9 championships-including 3 DLF Series Championships

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:03 am

I should have mentioned in the op, that I would not add a 1st to go from dak to luck.

For those of you taking the luck side....I'm sure you could get him for something similar assuming the owner isn't the guy who has to own the high end qb in your league. Go get him

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:44 am

Rather have the luck side with one caveat martin has had 2 good years his rookie year and the year when he was playing for a contract . His suspension voids his guaranteed $ and if he signs a 1 year prove it deal somewhere assuming the bucs let him loose then he could be a helluva piece for a contender . Still rather have luck but I could see either side depending on roster construction.
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci