Paying Real Money for a Fantasy Player

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Re: Paying Real Money for a Fantasy Player

Postby FiremanEd » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:22 pm

I wouldn't get into a debate about anything here. The original question being brought up should be straight forward, and if it isn't then you're unlikely to reason. A questionable follow-up only confirms that. Just avoid this owner in leagues if that's possible.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:31 pm

FiremanEd wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:22 pm I wouldn't get into a debate about anything here. The original question being brought up should be straight forward, and if it isn't then you're unlikely to reason. A questionable follow-up only confirms that. Just avoid this owner in leagues if that's possible.
I suppose one could argue that every proposed idea for societal improvement is put forth for selfish reasons (fame, profit, promotion, recognition, etc) and the rest of society latches onto and exploits these new ideas for their own selfish purposes. Maybe we are all just out for ourselves and that's all. I don't believe that though, for many reasons I won't hash out here. I'm sure it's a boring subject to most, especially on a fantasy football forum

SanDiegoGuy
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby SanDiegoGuy » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:37 pm

Valhalla wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:06 pm
SanDiegoGuy wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:09 pm Well that is surely one way to look at it. Another is that being secretive, deceptive, and/or sneaky is part of our DNA. It is how most creatures exist and assure their survival. It is as natural as eating or sleeping. It is another one of those things society tries to suppress and control us with laws and religion pretending it is evil or sinful just like they do with various aspects of sex, natural meds like marijuana, euthanasia, etc.
Sorry, but this is a bit of an empty argument.
Various creatures "assure their survival" through mechanisms such as mass reproduction (like fish), and offering absolutely zero care to their young, just counting on a very small percentage of a massive number to survive. I suppose since those creatures do that it's cool for us to, as well. I heard this somewhere and am not looking it up to confirm...but certain female spiders eat their mate right after reproduction as an energy source. I suppose canibalism is cool for us then. Please point to the majority of creatures that assure their survival by being deceptive.
The fact is it doesn't matter what other creatures do for their survival mechanisms. We are humans and are vastly above that with our phenomenal ability to reason out more complex thought processes (well most of us anyways). Is there a trait in our DNA that makes us more apt to being deceitful as a survival mechanism? I don't know. Maybe. Maybe in all of us and maybe just in some. But...is there also a trait in us to work together for the betterment of a community in order to ensure survival? This seems more likely. Without many people striving for the overall betterment of a society, humanity would not advance as it has. If we were all more apt to be sneaks and thieves than honest contributors to a society, we'd still be killing each other with rocks trying to steal someone else's dinner.
In my opinion, a 'herd mentality' is almost assuredly engrained into our DNA, which flies in the face of what you say. Our makeup as mankind should repel us from cheating the overall good. Yet there are always outliers in everything.
I understand your broad point, but I was limiting my comments to the DNA genus of hominids leading to man. We aren't programmed to do those things that spiders and other species do. But as I was saying, it is natural (and why we are so good at it) for man to deceive, fool, and benefit from deceit where and when it is most advantages . Obviously, most of the time it is more advantages to follow the rules that benefit the whole of society, even when our individual desires supersedes this. More distinctly I was limiting the argument to sports, fantasy or otherwise beginning with my original post. We see the example of these human traits I speak of in most, if not all, sports. We observe it in every contest/sporting game. The WR jumping up, holding the ball out, like he caught it when he knows he didn't. The OLmen grabbing a jersey and hoping he is not seen or caught. A baseball player pretending he tagged a runner by running to the dugout to influence the umps decision. The basketball player flopping or giving a nudge just hard enough to throw off the timing of a rebounder. These are all examples of the deceptive traits passed down through our DNA. To win at any cost. The idea of, if no one sees or knows you did it, it is fair game and/or it really didn't happen.

So the jest of my thread and post was to see how responsive you all would be with the example of someone "buying" a player under the table. I assumed that total shock or betrayal would not have been the case, anymore than I feel parents would be when they first realize their teenager lies to them. All kids do it and by the time they are teenagers they are close to perfecting this natural trait which was passed down through our genes. We all learn to deceive to avoid punishments and to get and do what we want, especially when it isn't perceived to hurt anyone else. Which we all have tried to convince ourselves of at times.

I am wondering if we should actually be so swift and extreme in our reaction to someone trying to "sneak one by us" in order to help their team win. Was wondering how common we believe it is, possibly assuming it is done much more than we probably know about. Is that type of behavior in fantasy football really rare, or probably not obvious enough to notice most times. I am not in a league where money is involved, whether to pay for costs of the league or as a prize for winning. If I was, before your statements, I may have thought a fine, of money or loss of a draft pick, would be more appropriate a punishment if caught, rather than let's hang the bastard (ie. immediate expulsion).
Wild West Shootout

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:48 pm

Bottom line. I wouldn't do this, and I would be absolutely pissed if it happened in any league I'm in.
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:17 am

Just because the heart of man is inherently evil does not justify one's actions.

There are reasons why we have laws and punishment and likewise why we have to have rules in this game as well to deal with cheats, liars, etc. Owners like this need to be immediately kicked out and if it were possible to blackball them completely from the game that need also be considered.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

bobandrews
Rookie
Rookie

Postby bobandrews » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:51 pm

In my league's rules:
Trades in General: .....Only trades involving tangible players/picks are permitted. No non-league assents (beer, cash, etc.) are allowed to be included.....
In short..I'd boot any owner in my league who attempted it. I'd quit the league I play in if it became a 'thing'.
Minnesota Fighting Saints 2020 League Champs
16 Team, 22 player in-season, 26 player off-season, .5 PPR, 4 Rd Rookie draft
1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1K
QB- Mahomes, Bridgewater, Eason
RB- DCook, Aaron Jones, Duke Johnson, Hyde, Kelley, Cohen
WR- Watkins, S Shepard, C Godwin, Gallup, AJ Brown, S Sims, Reagor, Coutee, Patrick, Hansen
TE- Howard, Burton, Engram, Arnold
K- Butker, Succop

Also:
I commish the Ed Hughes Football League. Founded 1980. Limited Keeper/non-dynasty. Our 41th season!

http://www61.myfantasyleague.com/2020/home/44355

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:00 pm

Florida Man wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:54 pm "Money talks and suckers walk" sounds like something Jose Canseco grunted to himself in a bathroom stall while some other dude jammed needles in his butt.
:lol: Welcome to the forum. And yes OP, what you're talking about is completely out of line with regard to fantasy sports.

Trades are supposed to be available for all owners to make on equal footing. In other words, using the assets the league allocates in players and draft picks. As soon as you start allowing monetary enhancements or compensation for fantasy players, you create an uneven playing field. I'm sure not all owners in said league have the same financial resources, and could compete evenly should you allow this type of transaction to take place.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku