Progress Report

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
theWilkman
Role Player
Role Player

Progress Report

Postby theWilkman » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:47 am

First, I want to thank everyone who has ever commented on any posts of mine over the last 2 years as I've began my foray into the dynasty world. The advice has been invaluable for a new dynasty owner and I can't say how much I've appreciated it.

With that said, I'd like to lay out the progress I've made since taking over an orphan team in the 2014-15 offseason (post rookie draft) and get some thoughts going forward. I mainly want to know if I'm a contender or a pretender. For reference, it's a PPR Superflex League with 6pts per passing TD

Team I inherited (the previous owner was a big Cowboys fan):
QB - Teddy, Fitzpatrick, Mallett, Romo, Weeden
RB - B. Cunningham, Shonn Greene, R. Mathews, D. Murray
WR - Beasley, Bowe, Garcon, Hurns, A. Roberts, D. Street, R. White, T. Williams
TE - Witten
K - Bryant, Hauschka
Def - Cowboys, Giants

Roster to end the 2014-15 season:
QB - Teddy, Fitz
RB - Ajayi, Mathews, L. Miller, Darkwa
WR - K. Allen, Parker, N. Agholor, Aiken, Beasley, M. Bryant, Conley, Diggs, Garcon, C. Givens, Snead, Richardson, T. Willams
TE - Witten, Escobar, Ebron, D. Carrier

This past offseason was my first draft, and I acquired Zeke, Doctson, M. Thomas (NO), Alex Collins. After suffering more injuries throughout the year and making more moves, I ended up with the team in my signature. I made the playoffs as the 4th seed (spent most of the season as the 2nd) but lost this weekend. I inherited a pretty terrible team so I had a lot of work to do, but I'm optimistic I'm in the hunt for the next couple of years. So, what do you think? Contender or Pretender?
Last edited by theWilkman on Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
12 Team Superflex IDP 6pt PassTD PPR: 1QB, 1RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1 SF, 2 Flex(W/T/R), 1 DL/LB/DB

2017-18 Champion
QB:Stafford, Brissett, Minshew, Taylor, Mullens
RB: K. Johnson, D. Henderson, J. Hill, T. Pollard, B. Scarbrough
WR: D. Hopkins, D. Chark, AJ Green, Kirk, J. Brown, Harry, G. Tate, Deebo, Pettis, JJAW, A. Tate
TE: Kittle, C. Herndon
DL: F. Clark, D. Lawrence
LB: B. Wagner, C. Littleton
DB: B. Baker

1.04, 1.05, 2.06, 2.10, 2.12

IR1
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Progress Report

Postby IR1 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:03 am

Great job on the rebuild! Think the WR injuries will hold you down this year, really need to hit the hot guys to advance.
10Team PPR-QB/RB/WR/WR/TE/PK/flex-DT/DE/DE/LB/LB/LB/CB/CB/S/S/flex
QB- Herbert, Tua
RB- Barkley, Swift, Montgomery, Dobbins, Walker
WR-Adams, ARSB, JWilliams, Godwin, Metcalf, Allen, Kirk, Flowers
TE- Kelce, Goedert
PK
DT- Buckner, Simmons, QWilliams,
DE- Hunter, JBosa, Thibodeaux, JPHillips, Rousseau, Paye, Greenard
LB- Edmunds, Warner, E Kendricks, Wagner, De"Vondre Campbell, Asamoah, Sanders
CB- Moore, Howard, Reed
S- Dugger, Pitre, Thompson
IR Dobbins, Dulcich
Taxi- Kincaid, QJohnston

theWilkman
Role Player
Role Player

Postby theWilkman » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:21 am

IR1 wrote:Great job on the rebuild! Think the WR injuries will hold you down this year, really need to hit the hot guys to advance.
Injuries derailed me this year without a doubt. Keenan and Teddy hit me hard to start the year, and the loss of Green and Thomas towards the end of the season caused me to limp into the playoffs and eventually lose. I also had a period where I didn't even have a starting QB on the roster (Ben was injured, Fitz was benched, I hadn't acquired Stafford or Smith). If I can avoid so many key injuries the next season or 2, I think I have a strong chance to make a run. That being said, the window to sell Green or Ben for a premium is closing quickly.
12 Team Superflex IDP 6pt PassTD PPR: 1QB, 1RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1 SF, 2 Flex(W/T/R), 1 DL/LB/DB

2017-18 Champion
WR: D. Hopkins, D. Chark, AJ Green, Kirk, J. Brown, Harry, G. Tate, Deebo, Pettis, JJAW, A. Tate

jpusmc0311
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jpusmc0311 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:45 am

Can you go back and share the trades and pick ups that you made to get where you are now? I'd like to see it

Good job btw... Night and day difference
Team 1: 10 TEAM PPR. 0.2 PPC 2QB 3RB 4WR 1TE 1FLEX 2IDP 1 D/ST 1K
QBs - Bridgewater, Cousins, Darnold, Rudolph
RBs - Miles Sanders, Ronald Jones, Mixon, Fournette, Mike Davis, Gio Bernard, T. Coleman, Damien Williams, Love
WRs - DHop, Chris Godwin, DK Metcalf, DJ Chark, Beckham Jr, DJ Moore, Sutton, Kirk, Edelman, Tre'Quan Smith, Anthony Miller, Van Jefferson, Jalen Guyton, Peoples-Jones, Marcus Johnson
TEs- Kittle, Hockenson, Tonyan, Njoku, Trautman
IDP: Lavonte David, Roquan Smith
K: Greg Zuerlein

Team 2: 12 Team PPR 1QB, 3RB, 4WR, 1TE, 1FLEX
QBs - Josh Allen, Matt Ryan, Lock, Eason
RBs - Barkley, Cook, Swift, Cam Akers, Mack, K. Johnson,
WRs - Michael Thomas, A Robinson II, Chark Jr, Tee Higgins, Woods, Sutton, B Edwards, Hardman, Zach Pascal, Van Jefferson, Berrios, Gandy-Golden, Tyler Johnson, P Campbell
TE - Fant, Ebron, Kmet

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:11 pm

First of all, welcome to dynasty!

Second, congrats on the turnaround -- very impressive!

As to your question, if forced to pick, I'd still put you as pretender -- but you're not that far off.

In an SF scoring with 6 pts / passing TD, elite QBs are king. You don't have one, and having A Smith as your depth is nerve-racking. At RB, Zeke is obviously gold, but your depth there, too, is troubling. (Of all the things to upgrade, though, I would worry least about this one: finding a short-term RB if necessary is always doable.) And TE is simply a problem area.

You do have a very good WR corps (though your depth after your top 4 could use a boost), and one good enough in theory to be a contending WR core. But, I don't think that it's good enough to overcome your QB and TE disadvantage.

In short, I think that you have some/many of the pieces in place with Zeke, Hopkins, AJG, and Thomas. Cobb is fine for depth, and Roeth/Stafford suffice as your #2. Ultimately, though, I still think that you need a couple of pieces to put you over the pretender hump.

I don't mean to sound critical or pessimistic. The opposite! In just two years, you have taken a disaster of a team to one that's on the precipice of being a contender. Wow!! I just don't think that you're there yet for the reasons that I mentioned. Given how quickly you have turned things around, though, I doubt that it will take you long to get there!

Good luck!
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

theWilkman
Role Player
Role Player

Postby theWilkman » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:43 am

Thanks for the input and sorry for taking a few days to get back. moishetreats, I agree with your overall assessment. Depth at a few positions is pretty shallow for me, but looking at the other teams in my league I'm not far off. I would give only 2 other teams the nod in the QB department over me: Team 1 has Brees, Mariota, Newton, and Winston; Team 2 has Cousins, Wilson and Bortles. At RB, there's no question I need depth but I'm with you - I believe it's the least important position to address because of how replaceable they can be, and we only actually need to start 1. I'm not sure if this is a normal dynasty situation but there are 2 "Super teams" in the league (Team 1 is probably the best), 3-4 2nd tier teams (which I believe I'm in, if at the bottom) then everyone else, with 2 teams actively destroying their rosters for this upcoming draft. My starters are as good as anyone in that 2nd tier (particulary because of our peculiar starting requirements of 9 players total including DEF and K) but depth is definitely an issue.

jpusmc0311, There have been a ton of trades and waiver moves, but I'll give you a run down of some of the biggest moves (in order):

2014-15 offseason
1. D. Murray for D. Parker and a 1st
2. Romo for K. Allen, Agholor, 2nd and a 4th

2015 Season
1. D. Lewis for 2nd
2. K. Williams for M. Bryant
3. Hurns for Ebron

2015 Offseason
1. Crowder and a 2017 1st for L. Miller and Ajayi (both still on MIA)
2. 4.06 for A. Morris
3. 2.11 and 3.01 for D. Allen and 3.10
4. L. Miller and 1.11 for A. Green
5. Diggs for 1.07 (picked Doctson)
6. Ajayi, T. Williams, 2.06, 3.10, 5.01 for Big Ben
7. M. Bryant, D. Parker 2017 3rd for Cobb and 2017 2nd

2016 Season
1. Snead for A. Smith (had no active QB at the time due to injury)
2. Ware and Doctson for Stafford
3. Bridgewater, K. Allen, 2 2017 2nds for Hopkins and T. West

Some notable WW pickups:
K. Williams (traded)
D. Lewis (traded)
Snead (traded)
Diggs (traded)
Crowder (traded)

Ware (traded)
M. Lee
T. Hill

In reviewing my WW moves vs. other teams I believe I've been the most effective in the league the last 2 seasons, due in large part to the DLF community.

2017-18 Champion

theWilkman
Role Player
Role Player

Postby theWilkman » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:47 am

So if I'm a pretender bordering on contender, should I focus on acquiring cheap veteran depth for a run or sell off pieces with an eye on 2-3 seasons down the road? Assets like Ben and Green are probably at their peak value. I'm leaning on making the run, since we play this game to win championships, but am not against a rebuild.

2017-18 Champion

crip7300
Starter
Starter

Postby crip7300 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:15 pm

Great job turning that team around and getting into the playoffs, you have done a nice job of building up a respectable team with some elite assets. However, I think you are a pretender and will consistently be one and find yourself in "no man's land" of just missing or barely making the playoffs and losing to the earlier mentioned "super teams" because you just don't have the depth to withstand injuries (see AJ and Ben) and down years (see Hopkins and Cobb). I think alot of ppl get to this competitive stage in a rebuild and start seeing some success and start dreaming of championships. But you need to keep turning over elite older assets like Ben, Aj, and Cobb and get as many good young prospects (make sure they are your guys) and high draft picks as possible until you build up a strong enough roster where you have great depth and have no question marks in your starting lineup. Ideally you want a young team heading into their prime together so you can have a team that can compete for a championship every year for 5 plus years.

I would not go into full rebuild mode but instead keep Stafford, Elliott, Hopkins, Thomas, Hill, and Ebron. I would sell Big Ben (love him, I'm a Steelers fan), but he has trouble staying healthy, is inconsistent, and plays in alot of cold weather games in the playoffs, you should be able to get some great young pieces and picks for him. Aj Green's window is closing fast for maximum value in a trade so I would move him this offseason and same with Cobb (ppl are already down on him, already missed his window) and move any other pieces you can for picks.

You will still have a decently competitive young core and hopefully with the new additions you will be ready to actually go on a championship run in a year or so and for many years to come.
Good Luck
Team 1
12 team Non PPR
1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 3Flex
QB Goff Geno Pickett
RB Bijan CMC Chubb JWill Kendre
WR Pittman Diontae Mooney Juju Hyatt Nico
TE Waller Schultz

Team 2
12 team SF PPR RB 0.5, WR 1, TE 1.5
1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 3Flex
QB Herbert Hurts Darnold Mac Love
RB Saquon Chubb Mixon Dillon
WR Kupp Amari Ridley Juju Cooks Diontae
TE Kittle Hock

Team 3
12 Team Non PPR
QB 2RB 2WR TE 3Flex 1SF
QB Herbert Love Ridder Lance
RB CBrown Chandler
WR Olave CWatson EMoore Nico
TE Pitts

Team 4
12 Team PPR
QB 2RB 2WR TE 3Flex
QB Herbert
RB JT CMC Breece Mixon Henry
WR AJB Metcalf Kupp Diontae Juju EMoore
TE Kittle Pat

Team 5
Bestball 12 Team
SF PPR RB 0.5, WR 1, TE 1.5
1QB 2RB 2WR TE 4Flex 1SF
QB Allen Pickett Carr Baker
RB CMC Saquon Swift

WR AJB Deebo Ridley Sutton
TE Kittle Fant

Team 6
Bestball 12 Team
PPR RB 0.5, WR 1, TE 1.5
QB RB WR TE 7Flex 1SF
QB Watson Herbert TLaw
RB Saquan JT Mixon ETN
WR Chase DK DJM Juju
TE Pitts Kittle

dblj1199
GOAT
GOAT

Postby dblj1199 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:16 pm

Hitting on Zeke and Thomas is huge and helped you out now and long term. Great job in the rebuild for your roster.
2015, 2017, 2022 Champ.
10 team, 6 pt all td, ppr, 1.5 te ppr. 30 man roster QB, SF, 2 RB, 3 WR, TE, Flex (r/w/t), K, 3 IDP

Qb- Mahomes, Prudy, Baker
RB- S Barkley, Pollard, B Hall, K Herbert, D Foreman, R Johnson, Zeke, J Robinson, Z White, J Wilson(i.r.), J McKinnon, J Mason, J Hill
WR- J Jefferson, Deebo, DJ Moore, OBJ, S Moore, J Jennings, C Austin, Trey Palmer
TE- Andrews, Higbee, Dulchich, Ferguson, D Washington
IDP(3)- P Queen,D Perryman, J Jewell, J Campbell, N Dean (i.r.)
K- E McPherson, Butker

draft picks
2024- 2, 4, 5
2025- 3, 3, 4, 5

theWilkman
Role Player
Role Player

Postby theWilkman » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:59 am

I'm reviving this thread with moves I've made since so as not to have to recap the entire thing. I don't have any picks in this years draft and wanted to get some opinions on whether or not I should be making some moves to acquire a few picks. I've made some offers the last few months, but I refuse to grossly overpay like some in my league expect for a *chance* to draft an impact player. I lean towards the "progress over potential" mindset, so give me player who has proven it on the field over a rookie dart throw 9/10 times. If targeting picks isn't the way to go, where do you see weaknesses I could improve upon? Be brutal!

Current team in signature, projected starters in bold.

2016 Season (continued from above)
Snead, 2017 5th for Alex Smith
Spencer Ware, Doctson for Matt Stafford
Bridgewater, Keenan Allen, 2.07, 2.10 for DeAndre Hopkins, T. West

2017 offseason
Roethlisberger, T. Hill, M. Lee, 2018 2nd and 3rd (both late) for Tyrod Taylor and Donte Moncrief
4.07 for McFadden
E. Ebron for Olsen, 2018 4th
2018 late 1st for Eric Decker, 2017 2.07, 2.08
2.07, 2.08 for late 2018 1st
edit 7/11/17: A. Smith and D. Moncrief for J. Doctson and 2018 1st (mine coming back to me)
Last edited by theWilkman on Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

2017-18 Champion

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:59 am

I think you've done a great job so far with what you had to work with. You're probably one or two pieces away from being a true contender, but not that far off. You can use a better RB2 and upgrade at QB3, but outside of that, your team looks strong.

theWilkman
Role Player
Role Player

Postby theWilkman » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:34 am

Goddard wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:59 am I think you've done a great job so far with what you had to work with. You're probably one or two pieces away from being a true contender, but not that far off. You can use a better RB2 and upgrade at QB3, but outside of that, your team looks strong.
Thanks, Goddard! I've struggled with finding that RB2. In this 12 team league, about 7 or 8 of us (including me) respond to offers one way or another, reply to emails/texts, etc., but the rest are next to impossible to get to respond, so it can make trading a little difficult. With it being a 1 RB league, I've accepted the fact that for now I have one good RB and made it a point to get his handcuff(s). I have a handshake offer to get another in the draft this year, but it will be contingent on a few things viewtopic.php?f=6&t=142939&p=1272359#p1272359. As for QB3... if trading for a RB is difficult in this league, it's next to impossible for QB. Even accounting for the 6 pts per pass TD, they are still grossly overvalued, at least IMO. Believe it or not, I think I have probably the 3rd or 4th best set 1-3. I plan on immediately making room post-draft to grab the handcuffs to Taylor and Stafford, so as not to completely rely on Alex Smith if at all possible. I also plan on seeing if there's room to move him to whomever takes Mahomes during our draft.

2017-18 Champion

dblj1199
GOAT
GOAT

Postby dblj1199 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:13 pm

Amazing rebuild in a short time. You have a stud rb, 3 stud wrs, a top te and two quality qbs. I think your a definite contender. With your backup wrs you may be able to trade away Decker and another wr for additional picks in the 2018 draft.
2015, 2017, 2022 Champ.
10 team, 6 pt all td, ppr, 1.5 te ppr. 30 man roster QB, SF, 2 RB, 3 WR, TE, Flex (r/w/t), K, 3 IDP

Qb- Mahomes, Prudy, Baker
RB- S Barkley, Pollard, B Hall, K Herbert, D Foreman, R Johnson, Zeke, J Robinson, Z White, J Wilson(i.r.), J McKinnon, J Mason, J Hill
WR- J Jefferson, Deebo, DJ Moore, OBJ, S Moore, J Jennings, C Austin, Trey Palmer
TE- Andrews, Higbee, Dulchich, Ferguson, D Washington
IDP(3)- P Queen,D Perryman, J Jewell, J Campbell, N Dean (i.r.)
K- E McPherson, Butker

draft picks
2024- 2, 4, 5
2025- 3, 3, 4, 5

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:41 pm

I would've kept Snead over Smith...I think you're already a contender given that you only have to start 1 RB. You can try to trade some WR depth for some veteran RBs or wait to add RB depth in-season.
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

theWilkman
Role Player
Role Player

Postby theWilkman » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:53 pm

dblj1199 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:13 pm Amazing rebuild in a short time. You have a stud rb, 3 stud wrs, a top te and two quality qbs. I think your a definite contender. With your backup wrs you may be able to trade away Decker and another wr for additional picks in the 2018 draft.
Thanks! I can't take all the credit, as a lot of those early moves were workshopped here in this forum. Your train of thought is where I'm leaning, too. If I stay healthy (did not at all last year) then I plan on moving some depth in season for picks/RB depth.
WhatWouldDitkaDo wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:41 pm I would've kept Snead over Smith...I think you're already a contender given that you only have to start 1 RB. You can try to trade some WR depth for some veteran RBs or wait to add RB depth in-season.
I wish I had been in a place to keep Snead, but at the time I didn't have a startable QB due to injury and had the best record in the league. I was desperate! Wish I still had him now though as I expect him to make a nice jump post-Cooks.

2017-18 Champion