Smallwood

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
twokids
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Smallwood

Postby twokids » Mon May 09, 2016 8:59 am

I'm shocked Wendell Smallwood is not receiving more buzz than he currently is. There is not much ahead of him (Mathews always hurt, Sproles 33+), and in a West Coast offense he could rack up some nice numbers, particularly in a PPR. This draft class, after the first 5-6 picks, can kind of go in any direction...

With all that said, what is the earliest you could see Smallwood going in rookie drafts?
12 tm, 0.5 ppr...(start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1 RB-WR-TE, 1K, 1DEF)

QB - Roethlisberger, Dalton
RB - Yeldon, Gio, Dion Lewis, Riddick
WR - A. Brown, Julio, Alshon, R. Cobb, Marvin Jones, K. Wright, J. Strong
TE - Reed, Eifert, Watson, M. Bennett, D. Allen
DEF - Car

Rookie Picks
2016 - 2.10, 3.10
2017 - my 1st, my 2nd, my 3rd

bobandrews
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Smallwood

Postby bobandrews » Mon May 09, 2016 9:28 am

I like him as well...but my serious lack of RBs may be one reason why.

When i made my board I had him grouped in the 40-45 overall range. In my 16 team league, with RBs going quickly, I'd be happy to get him with my 3.03 pick.
Minnesota Fighting Saints 2020 League Champs
16 Team, 22 player in-season, 26 player off-season, .5 PPR, 4 Rd Rookie draft
1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1K
QB- Mahomes, Bridgewater, Eason
RB- DCook, Aaron Jones, Duke Johnson, Hyde, Kelley, Cohen
WR- Watkins, S Shepard, C Godwin, Gallup, AJ Brown, S Sims, Reagor, Coutee, Patrick, Hansen
TE- Howard, Burton, Engram, Arnold
K- Butker, Succop

Also:
I commish the Ed Hughes Football League. Founded 1980. Limited Keeper/non-dynasty. Our 41th season!

http://www61.myfantasyleague.com/2020/home/44355

twokids
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby twokids » Mon May 09, 2016 10:07 am

I really think you can make a case for taking him later in the 1st round over guys like Dixon, Howard, and Perkins...

Reid-Pederson RBs (Westbrook, McCoy, Charles, etc...) kill it in PPR.

DEF - Car

Rookie Picks
2016 - 2.10, 3.10

TB3falcons
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby TB3falcons » Mon May 09, 2016 11:44 am

I was able to snag him with 4.05 in my deep 16-team rookie draft. I think he has a chance to contribute right away, and with PHI not having a lot of draft capital next year (no 1st/3rd), hope they use that 2nd somewhere else if he impresses. Not a lot of competition for touches in that backfield right now. He's a scrappy player that can run between the tackles and catches the ball well, definitely a low risk, high reward type with the small amount of awareness on him. Carried the load at WVU with a minimum of 15 touches/gm.
16 Team PPR(.5 for RBs)/RetY/Balanced IDP League (QB,RB,2WR,TE,4FLX,PK,PN,DT,2DE,3LB,2CB,2S,1DFLX) 2018 & 2019 LC
QB- Mahomes, Ryan
RB- Gordon, Ingram, Swift, Gore, Hyde, Ogunbowale
WR- Hopkins, KAllen, Lockett, Golladay, Fitz, Edelman, MJones, Crowder, Cobb, Claypool, AGG, Miller (CHI), Humphries, Conley, David Moore, Demarcus Robinson, Gordon :boohoo:
TE- Olsen, Ian Thomas, Njoku
PK- Butker
PN- Cooke
DT- CJones, Ogunjobi, Kinlaw
DE- Hunter, DLaw, Young, Anderson, Turay
LB- Littleton, Mosley, D. Davis, Schobert, Bush, AJ Johnson, Walker, Evans, Burgess
CB- C Davis, Ward, Murphy-Bunting
S- JJ3, Walker, Williams, Rapp, Parks

Taxi: Oliver, Laird, Collier, Cominsky, Phillips, JAXWilliams, Harris, Willis

songintheair77
Role Player
Role Player

Postby songintheair77 » Mon May 09, 2016 12:07 pm

I think he's a late first rounder in this draft. As a Mathews owner, I'm trying to trade into the first round to get him, but no luck so far.
Format - 12-team, keep forever, 0.5 PPR (1.0 PPR for TE), starts QB/2RB/2WR/TE/FLEX/K
QB: Russ, Darnold, Jones
RB: Mixon, Gibson, Henry, Carson, Tarik (IR), Darrynton Evans, Gio Bernard, Rashaad Penny, Deejay Dallas
WR: Keenan, Odell, Robert Woods, Robby Anderson, TY Hilton, John Brown, Ruggs, Tyler Johnson, Tyron Johnson
TE: Henry, Howard, Cook, Everett, Trautman

SpartacusPTech
All Pro
All Pro

Postby SpartacusPTech » Mon May 09, 2016 12:26 pm

I'd probably take him in the 4th round. Maybe late 3rd in my 16 team league. He needs to add some weight to be a legit RB, even a pass catching one. He seems more or KR/WR type gadget player to me. He landed in a good spot and very well could become a nice 3rd down back. But not sure he's got what it takes to make it. I could live gambling on a 3rd or 4th and being wrong. But not with a 1st or a 2nd.
16 team 1ppr
Jackson, Tua, Bridgewater
Sutton, ARob, Higgins, D. Harris
Barkley, Chubb, McKissic, D. Williams, Felton
Piits, Tonyan, Smith
LB: Wilson, Parsons, Milano, Reddick, Baker, Greenlaw, Walker Jr.
DL: C. Heyward, Flowers, Hunter, Franklin-Myers
DB: Harrison Smith, Abram, Davis III, Bradberry, Maye

Team 2
16 Team 0.5 ppr
QB:Jackson, Mills, Eason, Newton
RB: Barkley/Najee/Gaskin/Hines/Sony/Johnson, Stevenson
WR: Chase/Juju/Aiyuk/Mike Williams/Beasley/N. Harry/Will Fuller/Cephus/D. Brown
TE: Pitts/Knox
DST:49ers, Titans
K: Koo

Team 3 2019 - Champion
12 team SF
Mahomes, Wentz, Jones
Mixon, Lindsay, Drake, Hines, Murray, Carter
Hopkins, M. Williams, Chase, McLaurin, Ridley, Samuel, Washington, Davis, D. Brown
Hockenson, Smith, Cook

Furlo610
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Furlo610 » Mon May 09, 2016 12:47 pm

Whoever said Smallwood in the 1st doesn't know what theyre doing, even in a 16 team league, it'd be a huge reach...
With that said I have him #11 RB on my board and 31 overall, I believe in my 12 team league he goes in the second round, hoping he falls to me at 3.02 (26 overall)

RightlegTucker
All Pro
All Pro

Postby RightlegTucker » Mon May 09, 2016 2:05 pm

I think he's a JAG. He was good when he had clearly defined lanes but he goes down pretty easily and looks more like a straight line guy than a quick twitch athlete. His combine numbers were decent though so who knows?

pvillebiker
Captain
Captain

Postby pvillebiker » Mon May 09, 2016 6:02 pm

Yeah, I don't think he's anywhere near a 1st round pick, even in a 16 team league. However, it is interesting that he led the big 12 in rushing last year, has a 5.8 YPC career average, 68 career catches, a 4.47 40, with solid pass pro skills. Not being too familiar with him, I expected he'd be a perimeter runner who avoids running between the tackles, but was surprised to learn that he was a "between the tackles grinder" at WVU.

As for his landing spot, Matthews is clearly the early down back for the coming year and maybe the one after that, assuming he stays healthy. Sproles is clearly getting long in the tooth. With the Eagles short supply of draft picks this past year and next, it feels like they drafted Smallwood with the clear intent to minimally replace Sproles, either this year or next. And possibly more importantly, to grow with Wentz. Can easily see Wendell becoming one of his saftey valves from day #1. Speculation on my part, but they gotta be hoping he develops into way more than a COP back. He does seem to fit the classic Andy Reid / Doug Pederson type of back -- well rounded, undersized, fast, good in pass pro, plus passing game, and most of all under rated coming into the NFL. To be balanced, though, he does have a high risk of never being anything more than a COP or role player. Initially strikes me as a Chalres Sims type player, only better at running up the middle. For the current asking price, though, he's well worth a rookie pick in the 30's. I took him over Ervin and Jordan Payton in my draft.

By the way, Smallwood is a great example of the benefit of holding rookie drafts early, right after the NFL draft. Hard working owners who hustle can find gems like him late. I'm betting Smallwood's ADP steadily rises over the summer into camp. wouldn't be surprised at all if he rises into the 2nd round of 12 team PPR leagues by mid-pre-season games in August, if all goes well for him. Will be really interesting to see what happens during camp, especially if Sproles doesn't stick to the roster, which he probably will.

RightlegTucker
All Pro
All Pro

Postby RightlegTucker » Mon May 09, 2016 6:59 pm

As an aside, the coaching staff in Philly is really high on Barner. Apparently he has improved a lot. I'd much rather take a flier on Barner in the late 3rd and onward than reach for a guy like Smallwood.

twokids
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby twokids » Tue May 10, 2016 5:16 am

RightlegTucker wrote:As an aside, the coaching staff in Philly is really high on Barner. Apparently he has improved a lot. I'd much rather take a flier on Barner in the late 3rd and onward than reach for a guy like Smallwood.
Where did you see this? I'm a Philly guy and haven't seen this anywhere. This is a brand new staff who drafted Smallwood with one of their limited draft picks for the year.

I definitely think Smallwood will be used heavily this year (more as the year progresses) unless there is an addition made to the RB core at some point this off-season. Again, PPR leagues should pay close attention to this guy because in Pederson-Reid offenses, RBs catch the ball a lot.

Outside the top 7-8 guys, I think he's got as much potential and upside as anyone that would be left in the rookie draft.

DEF - Car

Rookie Picks
2016 - 2.10, 3.10

pvillebiker
Captain
Captain

Postby pvillebiker » Tue May 10, 2016 8:49 am

twokids wrote:
RightlegTucker wrote:As an aside, the coaching staff in Philly is really high on Barner. Apparently he has improved a lot. I'd much rather take a flier on Barner in the late 3rd and onward than reach for a guy like Smallwood.
Where did you see this? I'm a Philly guy and haven't seen this anywhere. This is a brand new staff who drafted Smallwood with one of their limited draft picks for the year.

I definitely think Smallwood will be used heavily this year (more as the year progresses) unless there is an addition made to the RB core at some point this off-season. Again, PPR leagues should pay close attention to this guy because in Pederson-Reid offenses, RBs catch the ball a lot.

Outside the top 7-8 guys, I think he's got as much potential and upside as anyone that would be left in the rookie draft.

I wondered about Barner too, but he didn't do much with his opportunity in Carolina. Couldn't find anything before making the pick that would indicate much of anything on Barner. However, like twokids, I suspect the new coaching staff using their 3rd pick on Smallwood made a statement about their intent. Nothing is a lock though.

bobandrews
Rookie
Rookie

Postby bobandrews » Tue May 10, 2016 9:04 am

Hoping he lasts until my 3.03 which is ten picks away. I was tempted at 2.06 but thought it was a bit of a reach. I took Pharoh Cooper instead.

This is my first Dynasty draft and the only thing I've figured out is that I haven't figured this thing out yet. :doh:
Minnesota Fighting Saints 2020 League Champs
16 Team, 22 player in-season, 26 player off-season, .5 PPR, 4 Rd Rookie draft
1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1K
QB- Mahomes, Bridgewater, Eason
RB- DCook, Aaron Jones, Duke Johnson, Hyde, Kelley, Cohen
WR- Watkins, S Shepard, C Godwin, Gallup, AJ Brown, S Sims, Reagor, Coutee, Patrick, Hansen
TE- Howard, Burton, Engram, Arnold
K- Butker, Succop

Also:
I commish the Ed Hughes Football League. Founded 1980. Limited Keeper/non-dynasty. Our 41th season!

http://www61.myfantasyleague.com/2020/home/44355

RightlegTucker
All Pro
All Pro

Postby RightlegTucker » Tue May 10, 2016 9:32 am

Pederson and Reich have both said in press conferences around/during during the draft. They're on the team website. Not taking Smallwood anywhere near the 1st or the 2nd. If the guy can't play it doesn't matter what situation he's in.

pvillebiker
Captain
Captain

Postby pvillebiker » Tue May 10, 2016 9:56 am

Just saw this on ESPN:

"Philadelphia Eagles: In terms of playing this year, the draft pick with the biggest impact is likely to be running back Wendell Smallwood. He's a fifth-round pick, but new coach Doug Pederson likes what Smallwood brings to the offense. No. 2 overall pick Carson Wentz, however, will have the biggest impact on the Eagles in 2016, even if he never takes the field. The Eagles' season will be all about when Wentz is ready and how Pederson manages the whole quarterback situation. -- Phil Sheridan"

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/32f ... 2016-draft