Is there anything inherently wrong with this trade?

General discussion and team advice concerning Redraft & Keeper leagues.
ajf235
Role Player
Role Player

Is there anything inherently wrong with this trade?

Postby ajf235 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:59 am

I’m commissioner and this guy in my league stupidly decided not to put Melvin Gordon on a contract when he had him at $19 (contract = base price + $5*(Number or Years kept). He was in 5th place (6 playoff spots) but the top 3 teams are miles ahead of the other teams in the league and one of them will almost certainly win. As a result, this owner decided to tank and traded Melvin Gordon (no keeper value) for Derrius Guice ($7 keeper value) and Christian Kirk ($2 keeper value) on $200 budget half ppr. You can keep players at their price + 10% each year for 3 years before you have to contract them so he has Guice at a total steal. However, my entire league is furious at this trade despite that there were no explicit rules preventing this. Do you guys think there is anything wrong with this trade? And what would you do if you were commissioner?

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Re: Is there anything inherently wrong with this trade?

Postby Mjvb5 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:59 pm

Nothing wrong at all with that. It's a standard rebuilding for competitor trade, rest of your league needs to learn it happens all the time in dynasty and more so in a contract/keeper league where trading a guy you can't or won't keep for a better guy you can keep is the smart logn term play. Kudos to that guy for realizing he's not competing and getting two cheap as dirt keepers. I really don't see how this is an issue, it's not like it's a redraft league where he dumped his best guys to someone else for nothing, he made the smart play for his team, if that hurts someone elses odds... isn't that the point of trading
EDIT example:
I'm in a contract dynasty league, rebuilding team acquired Tate on a one year deal as part of a trade, since I'm not competing Tate was moved within the week for Couttee(cheap as dirt RFA deal perfect piece to build around), no one said anything about it, it made sense for both teams involved.