Redraft QB Valuation (and i guess DSTs too)

General discussion and team advice concerning Redraft & Keeper leagues.
problemsolver
Starter
Starter

Redraft QB Valuation (and i guess DSTs too)

Postby problemsolver » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:11 am

For the record i have always been a QB waiterer, especially in redraft.

I got talked into playing in a 0.5 PPR 10 team 14 man roster redraft league at work. They start 1 QB, 2 RB 2 WR 1 Flex 1 TE 1 K 1 DST. I havent played redraft in about 5 years, and have never played in any league with this small of a roster. This league also gives QBs 6 pt passing TDs, 1 pt per 20 passing yards, 0.5 pts per completion and subtracts 0.5 pts per incompletion.

Projections for QBs have the top 2 (Brady and Rodgers) scoring over 500 pts. The difference between QB1 (Brady) and QB10 (Goff) is 80 points, or about 5 pts a game. The difference between Brady and RB1 (Gurley) is 14 pts per game. The difference between Brady and WR1 (ABrown) is almost 16 points per game.

Is this a situation where waiting until the later rounds for a QB would not be a good idea? I get that the QB scoring is all relative, but doesnt there come a time when the sheer amount of scoring potential of a top QB overrides the benefit of waiting for a later round QB? How big does the gap between QB1 and QB10 have to be to reach that tipping point?

Pretend Edit: In looking at the scoring page for this league i just realized that the scoring for DSTs is all amped up. Jacksonville is projected to score almost 600 points. The difference between them and DST10 is almost 9 points per game. Am i supposed to draft a DST in the first round now? Brady in the first, Jacksonville in the second? This is pure lunacy.

Im starting to wonder if i want to be in this league at all.

WhiskeyRacer
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Redraft QB Valuation (and i guess DSTs too)

Postby WhiskeyRacer » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:40 am

Can you look at previous year scoring? Are RB and WR scoring inflated as well?

I think it would be a good idea to bump up the QB one round in your rankings and draft accordingly. I would stack a couple QBs like Rivers and Big Ben towards the end of the draft if that is where the value is, but if a top 5 QB falls then it might make sense to grab him.
Brees might make for a great comeback player that can be had much later than in years past.

DST is a crap shoot every year, but with the wonky scoring it might make sense to try and get one of the top teams (Jags, Vikings, Rams). I always stream throughout the year until I get a solid team to play matchups with.

Best of luck. Sounds interesting but I would definitely want to see some player scores from the previous year.
10-team .5PPR SF 4 point passing TD
Start: 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1FLEX, 1SFLEX
2nd place 2017, 18, 19, 20... :wall:
Champ 2023 :dance:

QB - Jackson, Herbert
RB - Achane, Chubb, Henry, Mitchell, Hubbard, Chandler, R. Johnson
WR - Waddle, Collins, Reed, Evans, Hyatt
TE - Andrews, Engram, McBride
2024 Picks, 1.08, 2, 3 ,4

nyterp
Starter
Starter

Re: Redraft QB Valuation (and i guess DSTs too)

Postby nyterp » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:03 am

Can you see previous years' drafts if they exist? In drafts I like to start runs instead of get caught out of one. I played in a weird league a few years ago with jacked up QB scoring and I think I took Brees in round 1 or 2 and ended up winning the league, so it can work out.
rosterwars.forumotion.com - IDP/Contract league discussion board. Come check us out!

IDP/Contract - Charm City Justice

Superflex - Chernobyl Toxins

problemsolver
Starter
Starter

Re: Redraft QB Valuation (and i guess DSTs too) Draft now complete

Postby problemsolver » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:31 am

So i dont know if anyone gives a crap, but our draft was last night. Everyone played it pretty straight drafting the defenses and QBs. I drew the dreaded #1 draft slot. I did a couple of mock drafts out of that slot before the actual draft and hated my teams every time. But the actual draft happened and i think im pretty happy with my team.

Another scoring anomaly i discovered after my initial post was we get a point for every 15 return yards. I was worried because i hadnt done a fast draft in years that i would get flustered at the pure speed of it, but i only made one panic pick (Robert Woods). I had Tyler Lockett lined up to grab in the 13th round and then once i was on the clock i started second guessing myself and for some reason grabbed Woods. I hated that pick immediately, especially when i figured it had cost me a premier return guy who is also a WR2 on his team and whose WR1 is nursing a balky knee. But, Lockett made it through undrafted and i just dropped Woods and added Lockett.

The more and more i look at my team the better and better im liking it. If OJ Howard can over perform a little and give me something approaching starter level production, then i will really like it.

I'll roll with 1 TE and 1 QB for now. There is plenty of both on the WW.

Here is the whole draft. Again i drafted out of the #1 slot. (The guy with the 5 defenses had to be an auto draft snafu. Since defenses score so highly the top 32 players according to the default rankings were all defenses. So when autopick got turned on for him, it just kept selecting defenses)