Help with strategy on draft day this weekend!

General discussion and team advice concerning Redraft & Keeper leagues.
Werethemillers
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Help with strategy on draft day this weekend!

Postby Werethemillers » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:19 pm

Hey all, I draft this weekend and would like some opinions on my draft strategy. This is an 8 team PPR, 6 keeper league. Through various trades and such, I have no 1st round pick, but I have 2 3rd round picks, and 2 4th round picks.
We also have a deep bench of 10 spots on top of our start 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1 flex, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 D/ST

For what it's worth, my Keepers are
Brady
Crowell
Ingram
AP
Baldwin
B.Cooks

Should I look at draft day like round 1 is equivalent to round 7 in full redraft league drafts since we keep 6? And then construct my roster based on best player available/needs and proceed like normal?

I've thought about trying to stock up on handcuffs and possible rookie breakouts, especially at RB using my extra picks.

Or should I reach for players using the extra picks to fill my bye weeks on starters early in the draft and use later picks on possible handcuffs and sleepers?

Or do I reach for a top D/ST with an extra pick?

WhiskeyRacer
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Help with strategy on draft day this weekend!

Postby WhiskeyRacer » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:25 am

Werethemillers wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:19 pm Hey all, I draft this weekend and would like some opinions on my draft strategy. This is an 8 team PPR, 6 keeper league. Through various trades and such, I have no 1st round pick, but I have 2 3rd round picks, and 2 4th round picks.
We also have a deep bench of 10 spots on top of our start 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1 flex, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 D/ST

For what it's worth, my Keepers are
Brady
Crowell
Ingram
AP
Baldwin
B.Cooks

Should I look at draft day like round 1 is equivalent to round 7 in full redraft league drafts since we keep 6? And then construct my roster based on best player available/needs and proceed like normal?

I've thought about trying to stock up on handcuffs and possible rookie breakouts, especially at RB using my extra picks.

Or should I reach for players using the extra picks to fill my bye weeks on starters early in the draft and use later picks on possible handcuffs and sleepers?

Or do I reach for a top D/ST with an extra pick?
I would start by creating a custom tiered draft rankings (I like Boris Chen's rankings https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... eU/pubhtml#) and identify all the keepers that will not be available in the draft. This will help identify positional scarcity and help make choices clear during the draft.

Instead of BPA, I recommend going best tier available and using positional scarcity to determine which player/position to pick from within the best available tier. This is not a concrete rule I follow but more of a guideline during the draft.

As for DST and K, I wait until the last three rounds and use better picks to accumulate potential keepers.
I rarely pay attention to bye weeks and only draft for high upside depth/potential starters. Seems to work for me.
10-team .5PPR SF 4 point passing TD
Start: 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1FLEX, 1SFLEX
2nd place 2017, 18, 19, 20... :wall:
Champ 2023 :dance:

QB - Jackson, Herbert
RB - Achane, Chubb, Henry, Mitchell, Hubbard, Chandler, R. Johnson
WR - Waddle, Collins, Reed, Evans, Hyatt
TE - Andrews, Engram, McBride
2024 Picks, 1.08, 2, 3 ,4